Aren't motorway services meant to be 'secure parking?

robroy:
After reading all this and other stuff on the same subject, can somebody remind me.
What exactly is the job of the Police these days??

I’m sick of reading their announcements of having a ‘purge’ or a ‘clampdown’ …usually on anything that generates revenue. :imp:
Or seeing them poncing around in a fancy tractor unit trying to catch you eating your Twix, it’s hardly cutting edge front line policing is it? :unamused:
Have a ‘purge’ or a [zb] ‘clampdown’ on something that the public actually need/want…it’s your job ffs.!!
Starting with truck crime from our pov. :bulb:

The police, this has been going on for years… have had cut back after cut back … blame successive governments. Ie, they hire the Highways Agencies to patrol the motorway network …

road policing units are taken off of the network. Generally the HATO’s do the mundane work, ie debris removal etc … non injury accidents no point in the units attending. The HATO’s are competent to do as such …

The general public see a livery vehicle and that is a deterrent, however how many GP realise Traffic Officers have no powers to detain arrest … all they can do it call into there control and ask for a police unit to attend.

The Road policing units have been cut back dramatically, due to lack of staff, generally motorway patrol vehicles are called into towns and cities to assist with general duties.

End of the day a service station is private property I believe hey are rented from the Dft ie it is their job to provide security …l the police are no longer proactive always reactive due to cut backs … I am sure, if all truck stops added an extra £10 a night hen they could implement better security procedures.

No point bashing the local force, it’s the services who you guys should direct your frustrations too…

sammym:

robroy:
After reading all this and other stuff on the same subject, can somebody remind me.

I’m sick of reading their announcements of having a ‘purge’ or a ‘clampdown’ …usually on anything that generates revenue. :imp:
Or seeing them poncing around in a fancy tractor unit trying to catch you eating your Twix, it’s hardly cutting edge front line policing is it? :unamused:
Have a ‘purge’ or a [zb] ‘clampdown’ on something that the public actually need/want…it’s your job ffs.!!

Greatest of respect (and all the other stuff you say before having a dig) - but you are a family man. If your kid was being attacked would you rather the police investigated that or looked into someone knicking some insured stuff from a commercial vehicle?

The stark reality is that there’d be no difference in their response time. The best you could expect is being told not to get involved or take matters into your own hands, we are very busy dealing with other crimes etc, here is a crime number and we’ll try to have an officer out to you to take a statement within the next 2 weeks :unamused: . I do not jest. The days of the police being proactive to prevent crime happening in the first place, or attending in a spritely fashion to catch the perps in action are long gone, as is investigating/solving crimes after the event unless there’s some way they can generate cash from it. The police is a business not a service these days.

you contact the company running the MSA, inform them of their legal duty of care to you, provide proof of your payment and then claim your damages off them. the contract between you has been broken due to no fault on your part, the law is on your side.

ripperman:
you contact the company running the MSA, inform them of their legal duty of care to you, provide proof of your payment and then claim your damages off them. the contract between you has been broken due to no fault on your part, the law is on your side.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Righto. Do let us know how that one works out for you. The £30 charge is just for parking on their patch of tarmac. That is it. The T&Cs quite clearly state on all the signs that they are not liable for theft, damages etc. By purchasing a parking voucher you are accepting their terms. The fact you get your vehicle damaged and load nicked is not their problem - exactly the same as would happen if your car got damaged or nicked from a paid public car park. Accepting their terms and then moaning when stuff happens that was never covered by said terms seems to be very much a British thing. Don’t like the terms? Don’t use the facilities. Simple. :bulb:

ripperman:

Why company not buy trailers with alarm.Lithuanian "Finejas"have curtaindide trailers with alarm system. if somebody cut that planners there ready see this .But drivers instructed not go out from cab.

robroy:

It’s beyond a joke. My outlaws, in their 70’s came home from holiday. While putting their caravan away four scumbags ( who must have been watching gthem) ducked into his Landcruiser grabbed the keys for his 17 plate Alfa, jumped in it, knocked their front wall down and drove off. He phoned the Police they didn’t even come out to them. Then on Facebook a few days later people start reporting on a grey car breaking into vans and stealing tools. Father in law phones the police saying don’t you think that’s a coincidence ( his car was grey) and it’s probably my Alfa. " Oh" came the reply" we had it down as a Peugeot" sad times

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Rob K:
The T&Cs quite clearly state on all the signs that they are not liable for theft, damages etc. By purchasing a parking voucher you are accepting their terms. The fact you get your vehicle damaged and load nicked is not their problem - exactly the same as would happen if your car got damaged or nicked from a paid public car park. Accepting their terms and then moaning when stuff happens that was never covered by said terms seems to be very much a British thing. Don’t like the terms? Don’t use the facilities. Simple. :bulb:

Those signs arent worth the paper theyre printed on. If they charge you to be there, they are liable for damage to you.
I might be wrong with MSAs so if you have evidence otherwise ill accept it but I know that in multi story car parks they have similar signs and theyre just there to put people off claiming. They do have responsibility.

Rob K:
The days of the police being proactive to prevent crime happening in the first place, or attending in a spritely fashion to catch the perps in action are long gone, as is investigating/solving crimes after the event unless there’s some way they can generate cash from it. The police is a business not a service these days.

Seems true enough to me.
And due to tax cuts resulting in less investment we now have a super-efficient, slimmed-down, service. (AKA cheapnnasty*).
Who has the biggest tax cuts? The richest sector in society of course, who happen to live in “gated communities”, so are less affected by crime.
Similar to the direction the NHS is taking, once a great institution, now being readied for selling to foreign investment maybe?
A business opportunity for investors rather than a means to benefit us all.

*And don`t blame the individual copper.
Who is responsible for a late delivery by a truck? The driver, or maybe the managers who sent it out late after banning overtime etc? Same with the cops, being asked to do more with less is no fun for anyone is it?

Nowhere that people are free to come and go unchallenged can be called secure.

TheUncaringCowboy:

Donbar:
Just woke up after my first night out (which was forced on me, but that’s another story) to find my rear doors have been opened at some point. Am at Trowell services.

I avoided stopping at a layby to avoid this. Is the only safe area security patrolled truckstops now?

No, they are not. I’d say there’s more theft and damage done at services than in lay-bys, certainly seems that way recently with the amount of social media posts I’ve seen about curtain slashers around services.

Nowhere is “safe” but a truck stop is where I would park if I had something valuable on in a curtain. If you’ve got a box or fridge get the boss to get some good locks and park wherever you want and lock it.

Read my post on Waltham Abbey truckstop and the bloke who had 2 pallets of gin nicked from there :open_mouth: :unamused:

The-Snowman:

Rob K:
The T&Cs quite clearly state on all the signs that they are not liable for theft, damages etc. By purchasing a parking voucher you are accepting their terms. The fact you get your vehicle damaged and load nicked is not their problem - exactly the same as would happen if your car got damaged or nicked from a paid public car park. Accepting their terms and then moaning when stuff happens that was never covered by said terms seems to be very much a British thing. Don’t like the terms? Don’t use the facilities. Simple. :bulb:

Those signs arent worth the paper theyre printed on. If they charge you to be there, they are liable for damage to you.
I might be wrong with MSAs so if you have evidence otherwise ill accept it but I know that in multi story car parks they have similar signs and theyre just there to put people off claiming. They do have responsibility.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
if they charge,then are liable for reasonable care similar to if you leave your jacket in a cloakroom and it gets niccked.
irrespective of disclaimer signage,then they are liable.
the difference is that if somethings nicked from the msa,then its an insurance job in which case its nobodys personal money. or its up to joe bloggs to personally sue the msa who as you will imagine will stall,ignore and wriggle as much as possible to deter any personal claim.
itl take someone like a solicitor to lose something for it ever to happen.

is it not just the same logic as pricing the usual parking tickets for delivering into inner city drops where you know for a fact you will be ticketed,so you price the job accordingly.
30 quid covers the insurance when you certainly have a high chance of getting tanned,or,park out of the way in a quiet ind est with a much lower risk and gamble 600 or 700 bottles of gin and a curtain repair if the worst happens.
sad but true as it wouldnt be difficult to barrier the msa truck parking areas and rule out a lot of scumbag theft.

As others have said they are liable but would be down to insurers to decide if it was worth pursuing.

Do bear in mind also with thefts from truck stops/MSAs that the thieves might be er quite well know to the driver.

About every 2 weeks drivers come on here moaning about parking but when you are having a night out there is space in your yard for a truck to park so how many companies let trucks park in there yard with full facilities and if not why not.

mac12:
About every 2 weeks drivers come on here moaning about parking but when you are having a night out there is space in your yard for a truck to park so how many companies let trucks park in there yard with full facilities and if not why not.

I tell you what mac that is a bloody good idea. it need’s somebody like truckin tv to get the idea out there and get the industry working together instead of trying to cut eachother’s throat’s :bulb:

The last company I worked for had an agreement with two or three other companies to use each others yards. Worked well.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

mac12:

Good idea,let’s wait for the excuses why it could never happen.

bobbya:

mac12:

I’ll tell you why it won’t happen.

Because people with yards in ‘prime’ locations would be full up every night and people with yards in crappy locations would be empty. So you’d have a deficit in spaces from the get go. To make it fairer you’d need to charge - but transport companies wouldn’t want to pay more than the services. Then you’d need a booking in and out system - at best security man could do it. But it’s a pain.

Finally - you’d have drivers from other companies coming in, kicking off, damaging stuff, stealing stuff and generally being a nuisance. Remember that it only takes 5% of drivers to ruin everything. And finally - it would require companies who are in cutthroat competition with each other cooperating and being nice. Which isn’t in their nature.

sammym:

bobbya:

mac12:

Because people with yards in ‘prime’ locations would be full up every night and people with yards in crappy locations would be empty. So you’d have a deficit in spaces from the get go. To make it fairer you’d need to charge - but transport companies wouldn’t want to pay more than the services. Then you’d need a booking in and out system - at best security man could do it. But it’s a pain.

Finally - you’d have drivers from other companies coming in, kicking off, damaging stuff, stealing stuff and generally being a nuisance. Remember that it only takes 5% of drivers to ruin everything. And finally - it would require companies who are in cutthroat competition with each other cooperating and being nice. Which isn’t in their nature.

Wow,a ray of sunshine,have a good evening.

any one can park a vehicle on your drive without your permission quite legally. if the vehicle is damaged in any way you are responsible.what is the difference, duty of care is a legal responsibility wether you like it or not.

sammym:

bobbya:

mac12:

But you wouldn’t be having 100s of trucks every night if a firm has 10 trucks and 5 are out you would have parking for 5 so any damage would be down to them 5, it could all be advertised and booked via a app daily