Are you within your average 48 hours?

Wheel Nut:
Attention. topic divert :smiley:

I got a memo from a company I worked for once,

To sum it up, It was a tanker driver tipping a pressurised powder tanker and he climbed up the ladder with a hammer to tighten the manlids.

When he blew his head off with the flying lid I didnt read much further when I realised he was Belgian :stuck_out_tongue:

Our trailers are plastered with warnings about this and we are not allowed to use the ladder and handrail fitted AT ANY TIME… only thing we can use are the proper bridges at our depots, any lid leaks on site and the load goes back.

For me that would be a worthwile alert as it shows a very relevant issue. We had another one recently which showed a tanker that had exploded under pressure - the driver survived only cos it blew on the oposite side to his controls. Looked like it had been peeled open with a can opener :open_mouth:

Yes, people do not realise that even using a relatively low pressure to tip a load, even 1 bar or 14.50377 pounds per square inch (psi) when you have a 30 foot tank that is a lot of lb’s and a lot of inches :open_mouth:

jonboy:
48.26 hours average

so the pc at work says i owe them 5 hours to bring it back under 48.

and yes a full weeks holiday counts as 48 hours because im off next week and i thought that might bring my average down but alas no. it looks like a lot of drivers at map mans place will be taking a few weeks off unpaid

jon

Book 5 individual days in the same week then its only 40 hours @ 8 hours a day :slight_smile::).

jonboy:
it looks like a lot of drivers at map mans place will be taking a few weeks off unpaid

jon

I just can’t see that happening, with about 10 weeks left to go till the end of the reference period some drivers need to lose a minimum of 10 hrs per week to bring them down to around say 36 hours per week to get back under the 48hr average. Even booking 5 individual days won’t be sufficient now as that will still be a 40hr week. The only thing that can work as I see it is that they will be working short shifts, maybe 6-7hr days which shatters their illusion of having weeks off at home. Where this falls down however is what happens if the driver still drags out the job and doesn’t get the hours down??

Will the drivers get prosecuted? will the company get prosecuted? Where does the buck stop in this situation?

Another quick thought - if a sick day or holiday counts as 8 hours does a short working day count as 8 hrs■■?

suprisingly yes (i had jury service :smiley: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ) - 46.82

I don’t know about short days, but I don’t believe they have a minimum figure if you do actually turn up.
POA and rest breaks don’t count towards it, so by their math, my 50 paid hours a week, magically turns into 45 hours a week average! :smiley:

hitch:
52 hours for last 6 weeks

So it’s a hundread and four now,or is it a double post. :laughing: :laughing:

32 to 41 Hour/Week

I’m running at about 51 hrs a week, which means I’m owed about 30 hours.
I’ve spoken to TM about it and have been assured that I won’t have to take unpaid days off as I’m salaried :laughing:

Most of our drivers are well under, the few of us that are over is down to the routes we get allocated on Thur/Fri. Our hours are kept down by early finishes on Fridays but last thur I got ; Harlow,Ware, Southagate, Marlborough high St,
Whitstable,Broadstairs and finally Hastings.
This weeks was; Chippenham, 2 in Calne, 2 in Swindon, Whitney and Oxford.

I dont know about stretching it out to get longer hours but dropped my trailor in Calne and left the red airline on :cry: :blush: . Did you know that they uncoil to about 30 feet before breaking :smiling_imp: . Don’t you sometimes wish that you carried a spare.
Luckily I managed to get a new Olive(cost a pound for the coffee machine for storeman :wink: 0 for the connector from Volvo truck and bus in Calne and sweet talked a local garage into lending me some tools to fit it :smiley: .

I average around 36 hrs at Normal time and 26 hrs at overtime per week, yet actual driving time equates to 42 1\2 hrs per week and Other Work equates to 5 hrs per week. The rest is POA & Breaks, so I guess I’m lucky in the sense I aint hitting the 48 hrs pw maximum :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

NO and couldn’t care less about WTD, If I work a 48hr week, I loose approx. £150/week, goverment won’t make up that loss, with any form of benefit, so why should I loose out?

My view is ‘who the hell do the Goverment think they are?’ if the London bombers are entitled to rights (Cheri Blair) then my right is to work what I want, when I want.

(I do not break tacho hours)

John

Agree with you 100 per cent Cornish Trucker. I will work when I want and for as long as I want (within tacho regs).

By the way did you notice the uproar in the tabloids a couple of months ago when there was talk of introducing the WTD across all kinds of work? Pity we didn’t get the same kind of coverage in the years leading up to the introduction of it! Even the Chairman of the CBI said it would be a disaster for British manufacturing.

You can stick it where the sun don’t shine.

Small rant over.

Thanks Tezza.

I’m sure we aren’t the only ones, who think this way?

It seems to be another ‘thing’ to penalise the trucking community.

John

ERRRR :exclamation: You mean 48 hours driving right :question:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pat Hasler:
ERRRR :exclamation: You mean 48 hours driving right :question:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Er, not quite Pat, its like a holiday camp here now :smiley:

You are only allowed 48 hours work, although everybody is still doing 70 :confused:

Jesus :exclamation: we can do 60 driving a week if needed :laughing:

So can we, well 56 hours anyway.

Except now they have brought a totally unworkable law out that contradicts the original law.

56 hours driving a week or 90 hours in a fortnight, except now we can only work 48 hours per week :question:

But queueing to tip isnt work, waiting for a load isnt work :question: :question: :question:

To use an Americanism.

Go Figure :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m salaried.

Almost all of the drivers at our company are hourly, but when I joined the only contract available was the salary part time contract. 36h/w. Tues/Wed/Thur and a weekend day. Minimum shift is 6 hours, maximum is unlimited. Litterally…

At the moment I’ve had a lot of “short” shifts which means I’m down on hours. I’m behind by about 40 hours. So, effectively, I’m working a few extra days… Well, 5 and 6 days as much as possible…

Pays well enough for me :slight_smile:

However, a lot of the drivers are known to stretch shifts. For example, the standard “on site” time is 8 hours, and most don’t mind signing us off for the full 8 hours… I just don’t seem to get those customers or I’m too honest…

I take enough breaks though :smiley: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :smiley: And I enjoy the job. Compared to what you lot work? I’m a lazy sod!

Oh, sorry, and yes, I am a “part timer” and “overtime exempt” :slight_smile:

Pat Hasler:
Jesus :exclamation: we can do 60 driving a week if needed :laughing:

Don’t you lot work on a system where the number of hours you have depends on whether you do 7 or 8 day weeks now? Or something like that…