Are there any jobs that aren't bloody agency?

jbaz73:

nick2008:

jbaz73:
I’m looking for nights, getting up in the morning is not my forte :slight_smile:

Cat C work in your area would be K’s or Gregory’s doing the paper run

I’ll give em a try, thanks for that :slight_smile: I’m really looking more for ce tho. I want trunking, one hit, trailer swap and back. On the run up to Xmas there should be loads of work, it’s just not showing up yet tho.

My bad got me wires x’d with the OP.
Class 1 work. Still go give gregs a shout they do night trunking up around Heathfield ind est they use to do spar w/d that way too

I did a week of days when I started as I was being shown the ropes by an experienced driver. Going out tramping dropped the stress levels massively - I didn’t like chasing the clock all day.

iomex:
Getting sick of 4am starts, being shunted anywhere in the Southwest for 8.50 just to get moaned at all day - so thought I’d look for a proper job - but it’s all agencies. Have tried a few companies direct but they don’t seem interested.

Is there a magic trick I’m missing? Or do I have to go work in Asda while I get my Class 1 - there’s absolutely [zb] all in Class 2 unless you want to do multidrop [zb] for just above minimum wage.

ROG:
Seems to be the same all over the UK - loads of agency jobs but very few full time perm jobs by companies

So much for a so called driver shortage !

No - no trick missed. From what I can see - many employers use agency to cut down on vehicle insurance costs - using an agency means they have to provide insurance. Also convenience - any problem with a vehicle needing to go to the workshop for a day or so… no driver to pay on POA. No sick pay for a driver either and of course no CPC (as the driver has to incur this).

Agencies are also good liars - every job you get will more than likely be described as temp-to-perm… but as I have learnt rarely is this the case. ‘Just above minimum wage’ not really - allow for your costs of CPC and 1/2 days work as one is paid per hour, no paid holiday and one is less than minimum wage. The agency charges £2 to £5 per hour extra but saves office time. Class 2 is barely worth doing. One could be a Goods Inwards inspector at a factory and get £9+/hour.

Driver shortage? This term I believe derives from the fact that a firm phones an agency and expects them to have the perfect person available at ‘beck-and-call’ to do a day or so’s work. Firms in this area often have 80-90% foreign drivers - driver’s entrance marked in Polish or Russian… can’t employ English as they wouldn’t be able to find the driver’s entrance! “Driver shortage” - depends on the definition. The shortage that there was when the CPC came in circa 2013/2014 is no longer as we are now fortunate having so many foreign friends to help us out.

If one thinks of cutting wages by say £2 per hour per hundred employees doing a 40 hour week. A saving of £8,000 per week (50 hour week £10,000). Hence why so many corporate organisations have the view we need immigration to cope with the skills shortage. One firm locally employ 700… saves £3.5M plus.