Anyone here work(ed) for Turners?

I was just about to post a defence of Turners as being no better nor worse than any other company, I was also going to say that there are other far more deserving companies to have abuse heaped upon them (Mark Thompson anybody?).

I say was, because I’m currently sat at Brakes at Bilsthorpe which has massive and simple to access parking bays where a Turners driver despite having two people guiding him has managed to hit the vehicles either side of him whilst attempting a straight line reverse.

I shall reserve judgment I reckon.

Those Thompson motors love to tailgate don’t they!

Juddian:
Often meet at the same delivery points as the Turners tankers, drivers a cross section of the sort you’d find anywhere, just like those employed by other companies most are decent polite and friendly whatever country they might be from or background they might have.
Most of the tanker drivers seem happy enough with their lot, some of the older ones on the sugar still on Tate and Lyle contracts, maybe the same applies to other contracts taken over by Turners.

Exactly that mate, decent set of lads, Turners took over a few contracts, lewis tankers Too name but a few, all happy never moaned about"turners". Theirs worse drivers in better payed jobs who don’t deserve it that’s for sure.

I did. I’ve been vocal on Turners before, and I will stand by what I say. Turners are everything wrong with haulage. I would rather stick pins in my eyes than work for them again. Crap pay and crap treatment. All around the board. They’re probably the most reliant company on Eastern European drivers in the UK. Now reportedly the EEs are going home, so I’m guessing that Turners are or are about to be in a bit of a pickle.

Detached management and planners who wouldn’t know a truck if it ran over their face… Every second counts attitude to drivers’ hours… Obsession with telematics and a camera pointed at you all day… Horrifically low opinion of their drivers and the worst “them and us” mentality I’ve ever seen… Crap, poverty-spec trucks, and a wage that lingers slightly above NMW. If you value yourself as a human being, stay away. Please.

I could go into massive detail about how and why they’re so bad, but they are literally a skidmark on the underpants of global haulage. That’s the best way I’d put it. I actually have nightmares I still work for Turners. I’m not even joking.

I can vouch for the above, and that’s the tanker fleets tend to be mostly Brits. I don’t have anything against this lot, as a lot worked for once decent companies who Turners bought out, and are Turners by default. Although I have noticed a few Easty Beasties on their powder tanker fleet as of late. The fridge, container and curtainsider fleets are 95% Eastern European drivers.

I wish Culina would buy them, and put an end to this inhumane regime.

Rottweiler22:
I did. I’ve been vocal on Turners before, and I will stand by what I say. Turners are everything wrong with haulage. I would rather stick pins in my eyes than work for them again. Crap pay and crap treatment. All around the board. They’re probably the most reliant company on Eastern European drivers in the UK. Now reportedly the EEs are going home, so I’m guessing that Turners are or are about to be in a bit of a pickle.

Detached management and planners who wouldn’t know a truck if it ran over their face… Every second counts attitude to drivers’ hours… Obsession with telematics and a camera pointed at you all day… Horrifically low opinion of their drivers and the worst “them and us” mentality I’ve ever seen… Crap, poverty-spec trucks, and a wage that lingers slightly above NMW. If you value yourself as a human being, stay away. Please.

I could go into massive detail about how and why they’re so bad, but they are literally a skidmark on the underpants of global haulage. That’s the best way I’d put it. I actually have nightmares I still work for Turners. I’m not even joking.

I can vouch for the above, and that’s the tanker fleets tend to be mostly Brits. I don’t have anything against this lot, as a lot worked for once decent companies who Turners bought out, and are Turners by default. Although I have noticed a few Easty Beasties on their powder tanker fleet as of late. The fridge, container and curtainsider fleets are 95% Eastern European drivers.

I wish Culina would buy them, and put an end to this inhumane regime.

I would disagree with you i worked for Turners and Culina.Turners are a bit laid back .Culina the less said the better.Its like a regiment.Culina despite everything cant keep their lot .Too many agency at Avonmouth.

Fair enough WheelsofCardiff. We’re at the opposite ends of the country, but the above is my experience of working for Turners. I wouldn’t reccommend working for them, but that’s just my opinion based on my experience.

Bit late to the party, but I worked for Turned on Food tankers and AdBlue for a couple of years

Cons

Pay is amongst the lowest you will find out there
Poverty spec trucks
Genuinely spiteful management (across both divisions) The manager at Norwich is a nasty piece of work in particular (Got “sacked” twice and offered a fight once, all three occasions he apologised and crawled back in his cage when I got back)
Clueless planners

Pros

Pay always in the bank weekly, on time and usually correct
They leave you alone once you have your work
Well maintained trucks and trailers

Good luck

I have been subbing for Turners recently through another company I drive for.

I have to say I would go back tomorrow as I thought the planners were pretty good, helpful etc. I can’t speak about the money as it wasn’t them paying me but the lads I met were very good.

Perhaps it’s like everything, you smile and you get help, frown and you get ignored?

I’m more interested in how Sainsburys at Sherburn (or something like that) think it’s acceptable to take 4 hours to take 3 pallets off you!

Well that didn’t take long - a Turners driver smashed the front of his trailer into some pallets knocking them over into the fence, fence fell down (luckily no one around at the time) and took the bolllards out as well as some of the pavement. He stopped to check his trailer for damage then promptly drove off as it’s an automated barrier at the exit

Yawn. It’s the same as anywhere - some drivers ■■■■ hot, some just ■■■■, most somewhere in the middle.