Anyone else have low battery issues on Volvos?

wally-to:
The first point that I would like to make is, leisure batteries are not in my opinion cost effective in this application. This is mainly due to cost and weight. The best value for money has always been lorry batteries due to the number of units produced and the required specification (think abuse, abuse and more abuse).

As has been said before on this thread buy good high capacity batteries, Varta are I think one of the best.
You get what you pay for, are Volvo owned by the Chinese?

varta-automotive.com/en-gb

Not cost effective? You could build a leisure battery system in a truck for under £100. That’s less than one call out to get a truck started if no one around to help. One 12v leisure battery isn’t heavy enough to make any real difference to unladen weight.

Volvo Trucks are one of the world’s biggest truck manufacturers, they and Volvo Cars split long ago but even then them being Chinese owned makes no difference to the quality of their cars imo. They’re still designed and made in Sweden (as well as other places)

switchlogic:
Not cost effective? You could build a leisure battery system in a truck for under £100. That’s less than one call out to get a truck started if no one around to help. One 12v leisure battery isn’t heavy enough to make any real difference to unladen weight.

Seems right to me.

wally-to:
The first point that I would like to make is, leisure batteries are not in my opinion cost effective in this application. This is mainly due to cost and weight. The best value for money has always been lorry batteries due to the number of units produced and the required specification (think abuse, abuse and more abuse).

As has been said before on this thread buy good high capacity batteries, Varta are I think one of the best.

Vehicle Batteries and Leisure batteries are designed for different jobs,
A vehicle battery is designed to take a high load for a short period while starting a vehicle, then immediately get recharged by the alternator.

They are not built to take for deep discharge recharge cycles, this will quickly reduce the efficiency of the battery.
However that is exactly what lesuire batteries are for, hence their use in RV’s, Motor homes, boats, etc and this deep discharge is exactly what is happening when a driver is sat in a cab using fridges, Microwaves, televisions, computers, standalone aircon units etc.

It would seem that truck manufacturers (Except Scania) or the customers haven’t caught onto this, having had some experience of RV’s charging systems, (bad experience at that :frowning: ) they have 2 sets of batteries, standard vehicle batteries for the engine and leisure batteries for the motor home.

wally-to:

It’s not just about the different type of battery, although that is a factor. An engine start battery shouldn’t be discharged to below 90% charged state, whereas a marine deep cycle battery is designed to be discharged to 50% charged state. A more important factor is that on a split circuit system a starter battery solely powers the starter motor, which means that if the leisure batteries are flattened by the fridge, TV, laptop etc, the truck will still start. It seems that trucks have no better battery systems than they did 30 years ago, despite the fact that modern technology places so much more demand on them.

Ah good to know it’s not just me! It’s a fitted fridge that came with unit and doesn’t seem to switch itself off, so I have taken to switching it off when parked up overnight, it does stay reasonably cold if not opened too often. Daft though, we can put a man on the moon but can’t get a decent truck battery lol!

Ghost

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Genuine Volvo batteries always used to last me between 4-5 years on my fh’s, but since 2013 I’ve moved to to an alternative. Can’t remember who, it’s either Varta or Exide. I always spec the biggest battery available when buying a new truck which in the case of the Fh it’s the 225Ah 1150 CCA. Never had a problem with starting, even leaving them for 10 days over Xmas they still started in the New Year.
Since 2013 Volvo batteries only seem to last about18 months, or 2 years if you’re lucky, hence why I’ve moved to an alternative. The Volvo dealer also wouldn’t honour a 2 year warranty with their batteries.

My first FH v4 is now about 18 months old, and the batteries have been fine on this vehicle. But it does have a battery conditioner fitted from new that is supposed to reduce sulphation of the battery plates. It has a fitted Tv and microwave, as well as the drivers own stuff to power overnight, but I’ve not had a problem.

If you look on the Volvo website their is a section that deals with batteries, and it recommends charging the battery externally every night and over weekends to improve “efficiency”. I’ll see if I can find a link to it.

Ok, more info here:

volvotrucks.co.uk/content/da … ure_EN.pdf

I think the information on charging your battery using an external charger when the vehicle is not in use is bobbins. Volvo trying to blame everyone else when it is their batteries performance that is the issue.

coiler:
Ok, more info here:

volvotrucks.co.uk/content/da … ure_EN.pdf

DURING LONGER STOPS – PLUG IN A BATTERY
CHARGER.
Examples of stop scenarios:
• The driver spends the night/weekend in the cab:
If possible, plug in a battery charger (min 20A).

The driver leaves the truck for the night/weekend:
Always plug in a battery charger (min 20A).

Yeah, right! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Excellent i’ll just plug the 24v 20a battery charger i keep handily up me arse into a convenient sky electric socket shall i?

coiler:
I think the information on charging your battery using an external charger when the vehicle is not in use is bobbins. Volvo trying to blame everyone else when it is their batteries performance that is the issue.

Yes bobbins :unamused:
I worked for a big Irish haulier with a fleet of 120 or so Volvos. Since 2012 they have had nothing but trouble with the batteries, some of the trucks batteries had to be replaced after just 3 months!!! The truck I was in had its batteries replaced 3 times in 2012.

Volvos excuses ranged from:
The tracking device,
The Dynafleet,
Drivers gadgets :open_mouth: eg: mobile phone chargers, dash cam, inverter, ect:

The company had Mercs, Daf’s, and Scanias also, all of which had no battery issues!

The M.D was advised by Volvo in 2014 to purchase an external charger to the tune of €5500.00 and remove all battery’s every 6 weeks and charge them externally. So batteries would be charged and rotated between trucks. After a couple of months nobody knew what battery’s were from what truck originally, which I guess suited Volvo down to the ground !

My Tale…
I got a new Volvo in 2014, in January 2015 whilst on the continent I awoke at 04:30am freezing, it was -8 outside, I checked the night heater and it was off, so I got up and tried to turn it on, hmmmmmm no joy. When I tried to start the truck she was dead.
I got a decent auld skin to give me a jump start at 7:30 and decided ■■■■ this, iv had enough of it, I don’t need to be found frozen to death in a truck somewhere on the Austrian Alps. I decided after this trip I was done, finished, never going to drive a truck again!

Anyway I was sent to a Volvo dealer in Salzbourg later that day to have my batteries checked, and low and behold they were fcked. As the Macanic was installing to new “Volvo” battery’s !!! ( the old ones were VARTA) I asked him why there was so much trouble with Volvos battery’s? This Is how it went.

Him: How long do you spend away in your truck?
Me: Between 2-4 weeks.
Him: so you live in it, like you would in a house using your laptop, heating, lights, Chargers, opening and closing your windows when your parked up.
Me: Yup.
Him: How would expect the 2 battery’s to cope with this along with all the modern technology new trucks have, Dynafleet, trackers, fridge, ect:
Me: So what’s the solution, hauliers aren’t going to put us into hotels!
Him: When you park up for your 11 hour break, your truck battery’s should be fully charged, when you set off again in the morning you will recharge the battery’s, would you agree?
Me: Yup :unamused:
Him: Do the same when your parked for longer periods, run your engine for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening when on 24s and 45s and see how you go.

I did this and had no more issues with my battery’s apart from the the gobsh*te in the office asking me why I wasting fuel letting the truck tick over!

To Conclude:
I personally found when using the night heater in the 2012 upward Volvo it had an enormous strain on the battery’s.

I am currently driving a 7 year old Scania, I can run the night heater on cold days for hours, run it during the night if I’m cold, use my laptop, have a dash cam that’s never off, charge my phones, open and close my windows, the truck has a fridge too and I never have had to get a jump start!!!

Volvo has a major battery drainage problem that their not willing to or don’t know how to address and their trying to push the blame onto their customers.

Now saying all that, I would prefer a Volvo over any other truck out there for comfort. They are a pleasure to drive so it really is a shame a minor issue like this would deter and will deter hauliers in the future from buying from Volvo.

if your spending 100000k on a volvo unit,how hard would it be to buy a couple of top notch varta batteries.use the volvo ones elsewhere,and have the best of both worlds? the cost would be minimal ennies compared to the 100000k outlay.

dieseldog999:
if your spending 100000k on a volvo unit,how hard would it be to buy a couple of top notch varta batteries.use the volvo ones elsewhere,and have the best of both worlds? the cost would be minimal ennies compared to the 100000k outlay.

The point is though, that if you manufacture a truck which is designed to be slept in overnight, a customer ought reasonably be able to expect that it will start in the morning without the night heater having drained the batteries.

I’m sure volvo are using cheap batteries, that is what’s causing the problem. No issues with trying to start trucks after a night out if the night heater has been used.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

My Volvo FH500 is always telling me the battery is almost flat. And it’s a brand new truck!

If other makes have no battery problems then the fault clearly lies with Volvo and their choice of batteries.