Anyone doing 4 on 4 off

tmcassett:
)

As I say I love it, I work for a high street retailer and so weekend working is part of the deal unfortunately. I’m contracted and paid for 12 hours but never end up doing that …

If on a 12 hours a day contract (like most 4 on 4 off rota’s) this averages out to 42 hours a week over the year - some weeks you get 36 hours pay (3 days) others you get 48 hours pay (4 days).

Do you personally keep track of how many hours you do?
I can’t understand why employers either don’t average your weekly pay, or pay you monthly?

stu675:

tmcassett:
)

As I say I love it, I work for a high street retailer and so weekend working is part of the deal unfortunately. I’m contracted and paid for 12 hours but never end up doing that …

If on a 12 hours a day contract (like most 4 on 4 off rota’s) this averages out to 42 hours a week over the year - some weeks you get 36 hours pay (3 days) others you get 48 hours pay (4 days).

I can’t understand why employers either don’t average your weekly pay, or pay you monthly?

I cant understand that either. Does it benefit them?
I like to keep a mental tally of how many hours I’ve done each 4. Salaried so the less I’ve done the better I’ve done :laughing:

I had an interview for 4 on 4 off (UK based) and the company proposed only 20 days holiday saying that the 4 on 4 off pro-rated this.
Is this normal/correct ?

We get 20 days holiday, salary divided into 52 so paid the same every week. Any overtime days or nights out in the following week. Been on it nearly 5 years now, great shift for me.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

mutley:
We get 20 days holiday, salary divided into 52 so paid the same every week. Any overtime days or nights out in the following week. Been on it nearly 5 years now, great shift for me.

Ok Thank you. Bit of a surprise compared with 30 days and bank holidays here.

OwenMoney:

mutley:

Ok Thank you. Bit of a surprise compared with 30 days and bank holidays here.

How the other half live, eh? :smiley:

3on, 4off here - So no weekend working, other than (voluntary) overtime should I ever choose to do it.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

stu675:

tmcassett:
)

Yeah I write down at the end of every shift how many hours for that day and then make a note at the end of the week how many hours I’ve done compared to how many I get paid. 99.9% of the time I work less hours than I actually get paid for.

md1987:

stu675:

tmcassett:
)

I cant understand that either. Does it benefit them?
I like to keep a mental tally of how many hours I’ve done each 4. Salaried so the less I’ve done the better I’ve done :laughing:

In my job it benefits me as we are hourly paid. As I say I’m guaranteed a minimum of 12 hours pay as that’s what I’m contracted for.

OT is worked out on a daily basis and not at the end of the week, so if its a week when I’m in 4 days I know I’m getting a minimum 48 hours pay and 36 hours minimum pay on a 3 day week. Now taking an example of a 4 day week and where the bonus comes in is say I work 13 hours one day, 14 hours the next and then 6 hours each on the other 2 shifts, I’ve only actually worked 39 hours but get paid for 51 - the 2 shifts were I only did 6 hours I get my guaranteed 12 hours and the 13 and 14 I get paid 13 and 14 hours respectively.

Now in reality I only ever do 12 hours or more once in a blue moon so it’s irrelevant to me usually, most weeks I end up averaging about 40 hours on a 4 day 48 hour week and about 30 hours on a 3 day 36 hour week. What this does is effectively increase your hourly rate as you are working less than what you get paid. This is why it’s better in my opinion to be on hourly pay for the shift pattern.

Narc:
I am thinking of doing less shifts like 4 on 4 off but I don’t want to be getting basic money on weekend shifts.
Do agencies pay weekend rates on this shift or do they basically pay the same rates as in the week?

I had a chat with driver hire and another agency who were giving me the run around on rates telling me it depends on the employer, same old recruiter BS trying to get as much as they can etc…

Is it better direct or with agencies for this shift?

9/10 the agency will be mirroring the deal the full timers get. Maybe not exactly (unless earned the right to parity) but firms will rarely let agencies pay more for weekends if their own drivers don’t get it, quick way to cause mass mutiny otherwise.

OwenMoney:
I had an interview for 4 on 4 off (UK based) and the company proposed only 20 days holiday saying that the 4 on 4 off pro-rated this.
Is this normal/correct ?

Yes 20 days doesn’t seem a lot BUT that’s 5 lots of shifts off a year at 12 days at a time so works out to quite a lot. You get 30 days per year 5 days off hols is equal to 6 lots of shifts off per year but only 9 days off at a time so imho the 4 on 4 offs holidays are better….if that makes any sense
I also get my bank holidays back if I’m working any of them. This year I missed them all apart from Christmas Day and Boxing Day

I do 4 on 4 off. Have done for 14 months now across 2 jobs. Wouldn’t do anything else. You soon work around the weekends as having time off midweek is invaluable and most people have to take a days holiday for it.

You should get 21 days holiday, which is 5.6 weeks. If you are clever, that’s potentially five 12 day holidays.

You also work for just 5 months in the year. 2 months less than a 5 day worker. I worked it out to be about 160 days in work which is mental when you think about it.

Hopefully that 20 days holiday should be plus bank holidays, even if the plusses are lieu days should you be rostered for working the actual bank hol days.

M65Chris:
I do 4 on 4 off. Have done for 14 months now across 2 jobs. Wouldn’t do anything else. You soon work around the weekends as having time off midweek is invaluable and most people have to take a days holiday for it.

You should get 21 days holiday, which is 5.6 weeks. If you are clever, that’s potentially five 12 day holidays.

You also work for just 5 months in the year. 2 months less than a 5 day worker. I worked it out to be about 160 days in work which is mental when you think about it.

That sounds so good!

Narc:

M65Chris:

That sounds so good!

Individual places will vary but you would only be entitled by law to 19.6 days holiday per year, which includes bank holidays (i.e. they are not in addition). Hopefully you can at least expect it to be rounded up to 20 days.
The calculation is 5.6 weeks X the 3.5 days a week that you work.