Any old promotor drivers around

I found myself back at the British Embassy in Damascus in 81 with another load of furniture but this time I remember very little of the trip. However, a few things have come to me through the haze.

The first thing I remember was that I didn’t use the Koper to Tartous ferry. Obviously I was in ‘Staggies’ bad books. So it was back down through Turkey. Boy had I been spoiled using that ferry. The other thing that I remember was at Bab al Hawa, going into Syria from Turkey, I had handed my carnet and docs over to one of the customs agents for him to process. I had sat down in the lorry to have a brew when one of the lads there came running over with a letter. It was an authorisation letter on Promotor headed paper giving one of the other agents permission to handle all Promotor work at the border. It was in pristine condition, in a clear protective folder and was signed by Peter Calderwood, our boss. Peter had a very distinctive and clear signature with the P and the C standing out clearly. What really took my eye though was the date. It was dated 1974. I did hear a few years later that this particular agent had come to the UK in the early 70’s gone round many of the ME companies and got them to appoint him as their agent at the border so obviously I had to use him.

The only other thing I remember was that I couldn’t be unloaded because of the weekend. I was parked up near the Sheraton and was using their pool so all in all I was quite happy sitting there but my contact at the embassy took pity on me and invited me to a picnic on the Friday. A group of them were going out into the countryside near, I think, where the borders of Syria, Jordan and Israel meet. There was an old railway line running through the area but I can’t remember anything else about the place.

The last little thing that comes to mind was buying 20 classical music tapes at one Syrian pound each for my father in law before I left Damascus.

Vodka Cola Cowboy:
It is with great sadness that I have to inform everyone that Bob Heath passed away on Sunday 14th January 2018.
Although Bob and I did not work on Pro-Motor at the same time, I had become friends with him through this thread
and through my book’s facebook site.
Bob was one of the earlier drivers on Pro-Motor.

I have no details as to the funeral arrangements but when they become available I will post them on here.

Rest in peace Bob.

Sorry to hear about Bobby Heath… I never met him but felt I knew him there were so many stories. Wasn’t it Notts Northerner told a story about an aeroplane that was to be transported and the drivers fell asleep inside while they were waiting? I’ll leave Notts Northerner to continue… Over to you Notts.

sandway:
I found myself back at the British Embassy in Damascus in 81 with another load of furniture but this time I remember very little of the trip. However, a few things have come to me through the haze.

The first thing I remember was that I didn’t use the Koper to Tartous ferry. Obviously I was in ‘Staggies’ bad books. So it was back down through Turkey. Boy had I been spoiled using that ferry. The other thing that I remember was at Bab al Hawa, going into Syria from Turkey, I had handed my carnet and docs over to one of the customs agents for him to process. I had sat down in the lorry to have a brew when one of the lads there came running over with a letter. It was an authorisation letter on Promotor headed paper giving one of the other agents permission to handle all Promotor work at the border. It was in pristine condition, in a clear protective folder and was signed by Peter Calderwood, our boss. Peter had a very distinctive and clear signature with the P and the C standing out clearly. What really took my eye though was the date. It was dated 1974. I did hear a few years later that this particular agent had come to the UK in the early 70’s gone round many of the ME companies and got them to appoint him as their agent at the border so obviously I had to use him.

The only other thing I remember was that I couldn’t be unloaded because of the weekend. I was parked up near the Sheraton and was using their pool so all in all I was quite happy sitting there but my contact at the embassy took pity on me and invited me to a picnic on the Friday. A group of them were going out into the countryside near, I think, where the borders of Syria, Jordan and Israel meet. There was an old railway line running through the area but I can’t remember anything else about the place.

The last little thing that comes to mind was buying 20 classical music tapes at one Syrian pound each for my father in law before I left Damascus.

Excellent stories and photos Sandway… I’ve been rather too busy with work to contribute recently and I’ll have to dig out my own photos… Mrs Efes “tidies” everything so I no longer have any idea where things have been put… When I have a free moment I’ll have a look. I have a few of Yugo and some of Iraq. Not much of Russia alas despite doing far too many trips there for my liking.

Happy New Year to all…

Just to let everyone know that I got a message,
through my Champagne Trucking facebook site, from Kate Steer.
She is Johnny Mantle’s step daughter.
Apparently, John was involved in a serious motorcycle accident and badly hurt.
He was taken to Kings College Hospital and was in a bad way.
The latest that I have heard is that he has been allowed home,
but has been accepted for Stoke Manderville.
On top of his problems, his wife - Kate’s mum - has recently passed away
and they have the funeral to contend with.
I have details of the funeral, which is to be held at Worth Crematorium, at 10am on the 6th February.

I am sure that everyone will join me in wishing John a speedy and full recovery.

Mick

Vodka Cola Cowboy:
I have details of the funeral, which is to be held at Worth Crematorium, at 10am on the 6th February.

I am sure that everyone will join me in wishing John a speedy and full recovery.

Mick

Poor old Johnnie… Rotten news indeed but good to hear he’s been allowed home. Stoke Manderville is for spinal injuries so it’s quite a serious thing. Please pass on best wishes if you’re in touch, Mick.

Efes:

Vodka Cola Cowboy:

Mick

Poor old Johnnie… Rotten news indeed but good to hear he’s been allowed home. Stoke Manderville is for spinal injuries so it’s quite a serious thing. Please pass on best wishes if you’re in touch, Mick.

Will do David.

Terrible news hearing of John Mantles accident. Lets hope he has a speedy recovery. John and I spent many a happy hour waiting to clear Yugo customs while rockin to the beat of ZZ Top and the like !!

Nottsnortherner:
Terrible news hearing of John Mantles accident. Lets hope he has a speedy recovery. John and I spent many a happy hour waiting to clear Yugo customs while rockin to the beat of ZZ Top and the like !!

Get well soon John but you know what ‘Staggie’ would have said. “You angling for some time off Mantle”.

Couple of days ago. Mid morning. 25 klicks north of Alicante, just past Alcoi. Ran into a blizzard. Weather worse than at home.

Spotted near Lorca in Spain. Unfortunately didn’t have time to stop and take decent pictures.

Seen today in Garrucha, Spain. Now come on all you tech boys. What do you think of the power to weight ratio of this little rig. Well it is a showmans vehicle after all!!!

P1100613.JPG

Showman van sold to Bulgaria

IMG_5557.JPG

fgm:
Showman van sold to Bulgaria

Lovely outfit, whats with the swan neck, looks odd.

Like a bolt from the blue George Fardell has just called me a moment ago to say hello and pass on his best wishes to all those that know him. Good to know that’s he’s so very well.

I suppose he,s still practicing his reversing ! And still addicted to Coke I presume…The drink I mean!!!

I have told a few stories about Promotor driver, George Fadell on Trucknet but the one I like best, so will repeat it, is when I met him on the Autoput between Zagreb and Belgrade. He was heading towards Zagreb.

I saw him coming towards me and flashed him to stop. I went over to his lorry and, as you do, said hello and asked where he had been. He’d tipped down near Belgrade and was making his way to Sarajevo to reload. But George, I said, you passed the turn off for Sarajevo about 40 clicks back, and in his well educated voice he replied, “yes I know old boy, but I’m looking for somewhere to turn this bloo-y truck around”.

Was it a wonder ‘Staggie’ wanted to get rid of him.

During the late 80’s and early 90’s Promotor had a small job running a Road Show for the DTI. It was called CadCam and wasn’t very exciting but it kept a small lorry and driver busy, albeit not full time. However, sometime in 92 a much bigger job was on the horizon and three or four companies were after it. We were asked to do a one off presentation with three trailers which were the property of the DTI and we knew they would be keeping a very close eye on us so nothing must go wrong. I’m not sure where we set it up now but it could have been in North Kent somewhere. We put some of our most experienced guys on it and it we all felt we had done a great job.

The attached pics are not very exciting but give an idea of the complex nature of the set up.

P1110995.JPG

As I’ve said many times, you weren’t employed just to drive a lorry on Promotor. If you were employed on one of the roadshows chances are you would have to look after the customers as well as the smooth running of the trailers. The attached pics were taken after the three DTI trailers had been assembled and the set up complete. Micky Packham was one of our senior operators and as a waiter, he wouldn’t have looked out of place in the ‘Savoy’ or ‘Claridges’. Not sure if we supplied the bow tie’s or the DTI.

I found myself in Villaricos, southern Spain and realised Promotor driver Stevie Smith had retired to a little village 8 klicks inland about ten years ago. I looked out for him in case he was wandering along the seafront but didn’t see him. If I lived nearby I think I would have been here every day. Fantastic spot.

Enjoy your retirement Stevie.

P1090583.jpg

20% of the European need for Gypsum is supplied from the quarries in this part of Andulacia in Spain. Hundreds of lorries are employed hauling the stuff to the port every day. A distance of about 35 kms. After watching the operations for a few days I can only assume the drivers have been ‘robotised’. What a boring job. And I used to complain if I was asked to do 3 Yugos on the trot!!!

P1100975.JPG

P1100949.JPG

P1100930.JPG