Any old promotor drivers around

Just out of interest does anyone remember a guy called John Trevor driving for Slow Motors.
I remember a John Trevor, who I believe came from Halstead or Knockolt way.
But, my recollection is that he married the sister of a mate of mine and that is why I knew him.
I don’t recall knowing him as a driver, but I could be wrong. It was a long time ago, when we were
thrashing the guts out of those horses that were pulling the carts.

It may be that he was driving for the firm before I joined it.
So, it is over to the real old timers.

Cant help you there VCC, I started in early 75 and dont recall anybody of that name working there then. Maybe he was there before me.

Nottsnortherner:
Cant help you there VCC, I started in early 75 and dont recall anybody of that name working there then. Maybe he was there before me.

Yeah, I am not sure that I have heard of him as a Pro-Motor driver N.N. I will see if Bob Heath knows him.

I thought that this might be of interest, in the great scheme of things. A few well known names on there.

I got this from Micky Martin who was also a subbie on Pro’s around 75/76/77. Does anyone remember him?

Hi Mick, could that be the same Mick Martin from Sussex who went on to be an owner driver doing the Middle East with a M.A.N. late seventies/early eighties. I think that his company was called May Freight from a place called Mayfield I.I.R.C. or was he the other Mick Martin who went on to work for Falcongate. :confused:

Yes, I remember Mick Martin, nice bloke, kept himself to himself and never had a bad word to say about anyone, not whenever I ran with him anyway! I think he had a purple Scania, not sure which,110/111? I cant remember where he lived but I do know that one time I had to go to his house, not sure what for but he knew I was into old cars so he took me to his garage and showed me his 1958 Austin A35 pick-up. Rare as rocking horse ■■■ then,even more so now! Interesting list there VCC,brings back a few memories! Bet there,s a few interesting stories amongst that lot, couple of good boys sadly not with us anymore too.

Nottsnortherner:
Yes, I remember Mick Martin, nice bloke, kept himself to himself and never had a bad word to say about anyone, not whenever I ran with him anyway! I think he had a purple Scania, not sure which,110/111? I cant remember where he lived but I do know that one time I had to go to his house, not sure what for but he knew I was into old cars so he took me to his garage and showed me his 1958 Austin A35 pick-up. Rare as rocking horse ■■■ then,even more so now! Interesting list there VCC,brings back a few memories! Bet there,s a few interesting stories amongst that lot, couple of good boys sadly not with us anymore too.

Here are some pictures that Micky Martin sent me, through the Trucking Magic site.
That is his truck and the A35 pick-up.

He said to give you his regards N.N.

A couple of good pics there VCC, I,m not sure but could Micks Scania be the ex Promotor one VGF 899m pictured in your above list? I know quite a few of Peters old Scannies got sold off to O/D,s…Big John McFalls springs to mind. He even offered me the old Leyland Marathon(ex-Brabham Formula 1) that he bought from Rank Xerox and I subsequently used for the first Xerox 10 Series copy machine Euro Roadshow. It had ridiculously low mileage,was LHD with a Fuller “round the houses” gearbox but I was told I,d be doing mostly Yugo and I wasn,t convinced about its reliability. Breaking down 100ks outside Nis and then waiting a week for spares to arrive wasn,t an option!!! Thats one thing you knew with those old Scannies, you could always rely on getting home.

Nottsnortherner:
A couple of good pics there VCC, I,m not sure but could Micks Scania be the ex Promotor one VGF 899m pictured in your above list? I know quite a few of Peters old Scannies got sold off to O/D,s…Big John McFalls springs to mind. He even offered me the old Leyland Marathon(ex-Brabham Formula 1) that he bought from Rank Xerox and I subsequently used for the first Xerox 10 Series copy machine Euro Roadshow. It had ridiculously low mileage,was LHD with a Fuller “round the houses” gearbox but I was told I,d be doing mostly Yugo and I wasn,t convinced about its reliability. Breaking down 100ks outside Nis and then waiting a week for spares to arrive wasn,t an option!!! Thats one thing you knew with those old Scannies, you could always rely on getting home.

Morning N.N. I will ask Micky if that is an ex-Pro’s motor. Yes, the Scania’s got you home alright.

Sent via wife’s laptop. Mine still off the road.

Have finally finished reading Micky Twemlow’s “Trucking Magic” book. Its not the length of the book but the fact I only read a couple of pages each evening that took me a month to get through it. Brought back many memories from times long ago. Thanks for taking the time and effort to get it into print Micky. Once I get my laptop back I hope to comment on it further.
I didnt realise you were so good with languages though. Bit like that clever clogs Efes then. Me, I hardly knew my eingang from my ausfart but I always got there in the end.

A photo of Tommy Birch taken in Baghgdad. Photographer obviously been to Arts School. Don’t think he passed the exams though.

sandway:
A photo of Tommy Birch taken in Baghgdad. Photographer obviously been to Arts School. Don’t think he passed the exams though.

Probably the photographer had been out with those Yugo standfitters the night before to taste some “slipintheditch”, their national drink, which can often give shaky hands the next day. Or perhaps it’s an attempt at showing how vision is impaired after the same.

The Yugos treated me with “slipintheditch” when I was suffering from “Baghdad belly” and I know drinking several “slipintheditch” in the morning on an empty stomach fixed the stomach complaint in a matter of 2 or 3 hours. I can testify that the world looks just like this after the treatment.

Efes:

sandway:

Probably the photographer had been out with those Yugo standfitters the night before to taste some “slipintheditch”, their national drink, which can often give shaky hands the next day. Or perhaps it’s an attempt at showing how vision is impaired after the same.

The Yugos treated me with “slipintheditch” when I was suffering from “Baghdad belly” and I know drinking several “slipintheditch” in the morning on an empty stomach fixed the stomach complaint in a matter of 2 or 3 hours. I can testify that the world looks just like this after the treatment.

At long last I’ve got my MacBook Air repaired. Cost an arm and a leg but seems it was the logic board that had expired. At least now I can contribute fully to this board again.

I like that last little anecdote Efes. Remember them Yugo standfitters very well. All worked for the Italian company that had the job of building the stands at the British pavilion. Cant remember the Italian who had the job but Marco was his number one. As has been mentioned before on here the Yugo club was about the only place you could get a decent meal in Baghdad in the early days. Have attached a photo taken in the British pavilion, I have quite a few so will post them sometime.

sandway:
Sometime around 77/78 I tipped a load in Bologna and run down to a village not far from Arezzo to pick up a load of kitchen units. When I arrived at the factory I was told the load wouldn’t be ready for another week. I rang our office and spoke to our transport manager Dave Stagg, thinking another load would be sorted out for me. Now Staggie was one of those unpredictable characters who could and often did fly into a rage at the slightest provocation. On this occasion all he said was, “enjoy your holiday”. I did. The picture I have attached shows me parked up on an Autostrada service area north of Arezzo after loading. The weather was great and I decided to spend the night there. It was very hot and I had all the windows open to let the breeze blow through. Unbeknown to me the breeze blew my toll tickets out of the window. When I arrived at the next toll booth I think they charged me as if I had joined the Autostrada at Naples. It was certainly a lot of money. Made sure after that all tickets were kept somewhere safe.

I have found a few more photos taken during the trip outlined above and they’ve stirred my “little grey cells” into action. It was definitely 78 and I’m quite sure it was September. The factory producing the kitchen units was in the small town of San Giustino which was near Arezzo. This was where I had my first problem. There are two small towns near Arezzo both with the same name! I of course went to the wrong one. I can’t for the life of me remember which one I finally ended up in but I think it was San Giustino. The other town being San Giustino de Valdarno. I have a photo of the hotel I stayed at for part of my time there and I have been using the street scene facility on Google Earth to try and identify the hotel/town without success.

When I finally arrived at the factory and was told the load wouldn’t be ready for another week the young girl interpreter asked if I would be staying at the hotel which was almost opposite the factory gates if my memory serves me right. I told her I might and she said to walk over there and ask at reception for Mr Charles. After securing the lorry at the side of the factory I took a bag with my wash stuff and a change of clothes and wandered across the road to the small hotel and went up to reception. Behind the counter was this vey tall imposing english gentleman. I enquired if he was Mr Charles. Yes, I am Charles he said. The girl at the factory always calls me Mr Charles though. I enquired if he had a room available which he had. It cost a bit more than I wanted to pay but what the hell, Staggie our transport manager had told me to enjoy my holiday. With a restaurant and bar to one side of reception it looked ideal. Yes sir thought I. This will be just great for the next week!!! That was before I met Antonio, Charles friend.

Charles and Antonio had met back in the UK and had lived together for a number of years. They had then decided to move to Italy and buy and run a bar/hotel. Things had gone well for them and they had been able to open another restaurant in a nearby town. One evening Charles had to visit the other restaurant and asked if I would like to accompany him. I did and he told me the story of their trip down to Italy. It seems all their worldly possession were loaded in a removal van and they followed behind in their car. When the reached the alps it was snowing and the roads were in a bit of a state. They were quite high up in the alps following about a hundred metres behind the lorry when on a bend it slid off the road into a gully with a river at the bottom. At the point where it slid off there was a drop of about 50m down to the river but luckily for the driver and mate trees on the side of the gully prevented the lorry from falling into the river. However, it didn’t stop the contents from bursting out of the side of the damaged lorry and falling into the river. Charles said they watched in horror as all there possessions were carried away downstream before they both burst into tears.

Charles was a very good chef and would be in the kitchen most evenings. I remember one night he did a speciality dish for me. It was deep fried fungi. The end result was fantastic. They were large field mushrooms cut into wedges and deep fried served up very simply with just a bit of garnish. It was of course an h’orderves. So light and crisp. You could hold the wedge in your fingers and it remained firm and crisp. I have never seen fungi cooked like that since.

As I intimated earlier on, Antonio was the problem and one of the reasons I moved out of the hotel and back to the Hotel Scania. Whenever Charles was not around he would be by my side. Asking if he could do anything for me. Did I want a drink or food. Did I want a map of the local area as he knew I drove out into the country most days. It all got a bit to much, when, late one evening he was tapping on my room door asking if I wanted any “gay mags” and he slid one under the door. That was enough for me. The only person I fancied was the young girl who made up my bed every morning. I tried to teach her some english but she soon taught me some Italian instead. “Vamoose” to be precise but it had been fun up till then.

In the end my holiday came to an end. My load of kitchen units were ready to be shipped to the UK. I went back to the hotel to say goodbye to Charles. Luckily for me Antonio wasn’t around but the young Italian girl who had told me to “vamoose” was and this time I got the kiss I was after. A goodbye kiss.

Thanks for sharing that great little story with us Brian. :smiley:
It seems like the staff at that hotel would bend over forwards to make your stay a memorable one. :wink:

Its funny how you can remember clearly little things that happened many years ago. Maybe because they were the prelude to a happy event or something special in your life or something out of the ordinary happened for you. I like to think the following conversation I had with our transport manager, which has always stuck in my mind, is the latter as it was the forerunner to the most interesting trip I ever did. To me it was the trip of a lifetime.

I"VE GOT A LITTLE JOB FOR YOU!!!

It was about the end of the second week of June 1980. I was at home catching up on some time off and doing the things around the house that needed doing to keep the wife happy when I got the expected call from Dave Stagg our transport manager. Whats it going to be this time I thought. Brno, Poznan, Budapest or maybe somewhere in the sun. Spain or Italy would be nice. That was the great thing about working for Promotor, You could be heading off to some destination you’d never been to before. Maybe staying in an hotel with a swimming pool and a client that would buy you a slap-up meal every night and pick up the tab at the bar afterwards. No, only Nottsnortherner and John Barclay got those kind of jobs. I was resigned to it being another Yugo trip where I would bump into some of the regulars down there. Poxy Patterson, Welly Ward or perhaps Bill Tooke.

After the cheery introduction from “Staggie” who always asked if you were bored being at home and would you like to come in to do a little job he had lined up for you he suddenly got all serious. 'You will be shipping out, hopefully in a couple of days time. The good news is the trailer will be loaded for you!" Oh yeh… this don’t sound good I thought. “So whats the bad news then Dave”. “You’ve got four drops” he said. Now we often had three drops and they could be spread out from Celje right across Yugo to Skopje down near the Greek border but I had never been given four to do. I made all the usual protestations without success. Oh well might as well get on with it I thought but not before one last dig to get him wound up. 'Why am being given four drops Dave, nobody else gets four so why me." It was at this point Staggie went off on one of his infamous rants. “Because I say you’ve got four and thats why” he screamed down the phone. Ok ok I said give me the lowdown on the job. “Well to start with there’s a bit of a hiccup with your visa.” “So I’m out via the commie block then” I said. “Why do you presume that” he shouted. “I’ve not told you where you’re going yet”. “Well I assume I’m doing a Yugo” I said. "Well thats where you’re wrong Mr Know-all, You’re doing an embassy job delivering furniture and the four drops are spread out over three countries.

Intrigued I didn’t dare wind him up any more in case he gave the job to someone else. Little did I know I was about to embark on a trip that would see me end up in a place that very very few lorry drivers had been to before or since.

In narrating the first part of this true story of a trip I did back in 1980 I have used a little bit of “narrative license” in the description of my conversation with Dave Stagg. “But only a little bit”. As I explained in part one I remember the phone call very well. As for the actual trip, some parts of the journey are a complete blanc but here I repeat myself when I say, “but only a little bit”.

I’VE GOT A LITTLE JOB FOR YOU!!!
Lane 1.

Staggie had wetted my appetite. Now he had me hooked he let me dangle awhile. “Of course I could always put one of the other drivers on it if you’re not happy to do four drops. Welly Ward or Micky Twemlow or even John Preece wouldn’t complain”. He went on to name every driver on the company as he knew I wanted the job. “Ok Ok I’ll do it just tell me where I’m going”. Now Staggie was a great dollop of lard. He never was very athletic and a few years behind a desk had certainly made his waistline disappear altogether. It was at this point as I was talking to him on the phone I sensed he had relaxed. He was, I was sure, leaning back in his long suffering creaking reclining office chair with his feet on the desk and possibly a beer in his hand as it was late in the day.

“You, my boy, will be delivering furniture to the British Embassies in Damascus, Amman, Jedda and the British Saudi Co-operation Office in Riyadh” he said. Great I thought. Something to get my teeth into. He gave me a brief rundown of the job and said the trailer should be loaded in a couple of days time. The only problem was the Saudi visa. The office had not yet got my visa and rather than hold me up they were thinking of having it issued in Damascus. Little did any of us know at that time the problems that visa would cause me. “We’ve routed you out France Italy and you will be using the Tartous ferry” he said. “Great” I replied. “Haven’t been down to Greece for a few months”. “Wrong” he said, the ferry has been moved from Volos up to Koper in Yugoslavia, just around the corner from Trieste. “Its even more of a doddle now” was his final sarcastic comment.

I have written about the ferries that ran from Greece and Yugoslavia to Syria in previous posts so I won’t go over that ground again. What I will say is that I believe I was, for unknown reasons, the only Promotor driver routed that way. Other drivers accompanied me sometimes though. John Preece, Clive Turner, George Fardell, Geoff Gardner, and Bobby Keen all did. It was a luxury going that way, not having to transit Turkey and once the ferry moved up to Koper you cut out most of Yugoslavia as well. It was almost like shipping out from Dover straight to Syria.

A couple of days later I was back in the office and I still had no Saudi visa. I went through the paperwork, signed for my running money, pocketed my passport and finally loaded all my personal gear into the lorry. It was mid morning by the time I headed of to Dover with only a few ton of furniture in the box trailer I was dragging behind me. I shipped over to Calais and drove down the old road towards Paris before stopping at a Le Routier north of Abbaville for a meal and a nights sleep. It was good to be on my way and I was really looking forward to the trip. I had a straightforward run down to Koper and arrived midday. I parked up in the harbour and visited the shipping lines office. The ferry would be in next morning and was scheduled to depart late afternoon. I don’t remember many other Brits waiting to board but there were plenty of Hungarians. It was all going according to plan. Next day I boarded the ferry, found my cabin, and had a shower. In the evening I had a meal in the restaurant and later got my head down, after all I didn’t want to be to tired as the trip took three and a half days and there was some serious sunbathing to be done.

Finally we berthed in Tartous docks. Not the nicest or prettiest of towns but it served its purpose. there were a couple of restaurants near the dock gates as well as the shipping office. The food in the restaurants was pretty dire so I only ate there as a last resort on the way home if I was low on tins of Irish stew or whatever. From Tartous you drove inland to Homs passing through the tip of the Lebanon with all its duty free shops. Once you got to Homs you turned right onto the main north south highway running through Syria. Damascus, although not that far south of Homs, was a bit of a hike as much of the road was being reconstructed and to say it was like a ploughed field is doing an injustice to any self respecting farmer. However, I arrived in Damascus late afternoon, found the customs and parked up for the night.

In the morning I would find a taxi and visit the British Embassy.

Good stuff Sandway, love these old tales from back in the day, especially with the photos! :wink:

Morning Brian, Quote…“some parts of the journey are a complete blanc” un-quote…Is that because you broke down in the tunnel ? :slight_smile:

Nottsnortherner:
Morning Brian, Quote…“some parts of the journey are a complete blanc” un-quote…Is that because you broke down in the tunnel ? :slight_smile:

Nice one N.N. However, as Sandway keeps saying, the old grey cells aren’t what they used to be. So, he wouldn’t remember.