Any old promotor drivers around

sandway:
Sometime the “little grey cells” need something to stir them into action. Well not sure about sometime! Its most of the time now. I’ve been watching the Tour de France last few days and as they passed near to Aachen they passed very close to the Shell station where many of the Promotor men would pull in to fill up and have a free meal courtesy of a few litres on the derv. The days racing ended in Liege where I once had to deliver two nice cars to an exhibition. I wasn’t trusted to carry cars normally so dunno why I got the job. Nottsnortherner must have been swanning off to some exotic location otherwise no doubt he would have got the job.

Yesterday “La Tour” started from Verviers in Belgium and I remember going to a paper mill in the town sometime around 76 I think. Can’t remember if I was there for a reload but I took a photo of a Belgium lorry and drag loaded with reels of paper stood on end. Didn’t see any restraints and maybe its the way they were/are loaded but it didn’t look non to safe to me.

I used to haul paper like that with a low-ride wagon-and-drag quite often and don’t remember any problems with load stability. It was a tilt-liner so the side boards helped a bit. The only load like that I had any trouble with was the one that caught fire! :open_mouth: Robert

sandway:

sandway:
How could I forget the Promotor darts tournaments Jazzandy. I am sure many of the companies and exhibitors only went to the Baghdad fair so they could take part in those prestigious matches. I have many more pics featuring Baghdad dartboards. Will dig them out when I have the time.

I have attached one photo with you taking centre stage with your arms folded. Was this the year we allowed the British Pavilion director to win. Those “little grey cells” are letting me down again. I can’t even remember his name but it may have been Trevor ■■?.

No no no! Some of its come back to me now. Our esteemed pavilion director never did win the darts tournament. The picture was taken on his last day in the job. He was retiring from the BOTB and this was his last exhibition. I think you Jazzandy had just made a presentation on everyones behalf of a bottle of something and Trevor was making a thank you speech.

It was Trevor Marsh, and as I remember it a diplomatic incident was caused by the pavilion giving him a rather scurrilous cartoon as a leaving present which cast aspersions on the honesty of our Iraqi visitors to the pavilion. The furore had to be sorted out by the Embassy and we were under threat of having the pavilion closed!

Talking about reels of paper as we were a couple of posts ago. Does anyone remember their first ever load and where they went. My first ever drive of a loaded lorry was a night run from Kent down to Tesco at their Romsey depot with a 10 ton load of oranges for Mitchell and Robertson from Staplehurst in 69 or 70. But my first ever artic load was when the company got their hands on a Scammell Routeman 6 wheel demo unit in 74 or 75. John Mitchell had a ring around to see if any of the other local hauliers wanted any traction done. Colin Ashby had a loaded trailer standing in Alabaster Passmoors■■? paper mill in Maidstone and I could pick it up for them. Wasn’t quite as straight forward as that as I had to rope and sheet it first then put the fly sheet on. However, these reels were loaded the traditional way on their side with the last reel chocked across the back. They were not stood upright as in my last photo taken in Belgium. That was my first artic load and I only delivered it back to Ashby’s yard but they did ring John afterwards and told him to thank me for doing a good job.

Another little memory jerker from the Tour de France. The race started in Luxembourg yesterday. Do you remember when coming home and we didn’t want to spend the weekend in Germany due to the 2 day weekend driving ban in the summer months. We would shoot across to Saarlouis and then to the Luxembourg border at Remich. Much shorter journey than going up to Aachen. Had to be out by Friday midnight though. I only did it twice but saved a couple of days on the trip. Company were happy as I filled up with cheap derv at the Shell Station just inside the border.

sandway:
Another little memory jerker from the Tour de France. The race started in Luxembourg yesterday. Do you remember when coming home and we didn’t want to spend the weekend in Germany due to the 2 day weekend driving ban in the summer months. We would shoot across to Saarlouis and then to the Luxembourg border at Remich. Much shorter journey than going up to Aachen. Had to be out by Friday midnight though. I only did it twice but saved a couple of days on the trip. Company were happy as I filled up with cheap derv at the Shell Station just inside the border.

That reminds me of some regular runs I did at one time to Ford Werken at Saarlouis about a quarter of a century ago. I used to come off the A31 at Thionville and head across country on the little D918 through Bouzonville and cross at the Schreckling/Ittersdorf border before heading into Saarlouis. Robert

Hello Brian, I do remember one load of paper from Celje in Yugoslavia which must of been about the middle of January 1981. I had tipped in Izmir in Turkey and received a telex to say that there would be a full load of paper reels waiting for me in Celje for delivery to where they printed The Sporting Times which was in a new warehouse somewhere near Wapping in London. It was one of those horrible winter journeys along the T.I.R. route through Yugoslavia, snowing on and off on icy mud filled often cobbled stretches of roads. For most of the day it had been a case of stop and start not being able to over take anything just crawling along in the vehicle in fronts tyre tracks.
At about 8 o’clock at night we came to a standstill, I could see the blue lights of the Police car or the Militia up in the distance and as there were no other vehicles coming the other way I presumed that it was just another accident. After making a brew and something to eat I decided to get out and stretch my legs as we had been there for over an hour. I walked along towards the front of the queue and noticed a long vehicle sign on the back of a trailer with a G.B. number plate. It was a Seddon Atkinson belonging to O.H.S. and I have a feeling that this was the first time that I met Jimmy Beagent who I think drove for O.H.S. for a number of years.
Anyway, who ever the driver was I introduced myself, the driver invited me into his cab and I told him where I was loading and the route that I was preparing to take but he advised me against it. He told me that reloading from the Celje paper works used to be an O.H.S. job and said that I would be much better carrying along the T.I.R. road for another 40 miles or so and avoiding the section of steep hills which he was sure would of been impassable due to the worsening weather conditions.
After two hours the traffic finally started moving again and that was the last that we saw of each other that night as he was loading somewhere in Italy but the thing that I remember clearly was that he told me that he had been stopped by the police just outside Zagreb for the usual Tacho check. The cop had banged on the door and climbed into his passenger side of the cab and after being convinced that the driver hadn’t been speeding due to the bad weather the cop tried to cadge one of his cassettes and a packet of ciggies. The driver eventually gave him a packet of ciggies and the cop told him that he could go on his way. When the driver stopped for a brew about an hour later he had climbed across to the passenger side and found that the cop had left his torch in the foot well. The driver took great delight in showing me this torch which at the time I had never seen a torch like it before.
It was about the size of a small car battery with a small headlight stuck on the front and the beam shone for miles. It was encased in plastic and although there are lots of torches like this nowadays at the time it was well worth a packet of cigarettes.
I did a few backloads from around the Celje area over the years as it was an area that somebody told me where they grew a certain type of reed that was used for making high quality paper although at the back of my mind I seem to remember that a couple of loads that I did I picked up reels of yellow coloured paper so can anybody remember if The Sporting Times was printed on yellow paper thirty seven years ago. :confused:

Regards Steve.

Nice little memory from back in the day MM! :wink:

Hi Bullitt, I hope that you are well and I was thinking of bumping up one of your old Yugoslavian threads which I think some of the old Promotor lads might of missed and would find very interesting. :slight_smile:
As soon as I went to bed last night I realised that I had mentioned that the yellow newspaper that was printed in London was The Sporting Times. I realised then that it was actually The Racing Times and another little anecdote came flooding back so I have sent you a P.M.

Regards Steve.

:laughing: :laughing: Got your PM MM, you should put it here mate, its all good!! :wink:

mushroomman:
Hi Bullitt, I hope that you are well and I was thinking of bumping up one of your old Yugoslavian threads which I think some of the old Promotor lads might of missed and would find very interesting. :slight_smile:
As soon as I went to bed last night I realised that I had mentioned that the yellow newspaper that was printed in London was The Sporting Times. I realised then that it was actually The Racing Times and another little anecdote came flooding back so I have sent you a P.M.

Regards Steve.

I’m sure we would all find it very interesting mushroomman. Might stir my “little grey cells” into recollection mode. You could both love and hate Yugo at the same time. It featured in our lives on a daily basis for a number of years. I’m glad it did.

Jazzandy. I had forgotten the “diplomatic incident” of the picture. I have attached a picture of the darts tournament winner that same year. I’m sure you recognise many of the exhibitors. Just noticed Chic Steadmans baldish head right behind the winner holding the trophy.

bullitt:

Wholeheartedly agree bullitt. Thats a great story. Just hope the copper got the sack for losing it. They always seemed such a miserable lot. Weren’t happy unless they were fleecing you of something.

Hiya, I have spent some time trying to find out the actual name of that horse racing newspaper which we used to deliver to London from Yugo and I have finally come up with the name of The Sporting Life. :smiley:
I thought that I was going a bit off track with my last post so I decided to end it when I did but here is the last bit that I decided not to add at the time.
Alan Morrey had told me to be careful if ever I tipped at that warehouse which was somewhere near London Docks as he had been conned by the guy who ran the warehouse. Alan had run up through the night from Dover so that he was on the doorstep for the following morning. Eventually an old guy turned up and told Alan to back up the ramp on to the loading bay. Alan opened up the back of the tilt and got back in bed but the old guy told him that he would have to tip himself. Alan refused and said that C.M.R. insurance did not cover the driver for working in the back because if the driver got injured who would drive the truck which could be thousands of miles from home. This stand off continued until the warehouse guy said “look, if you offload the truck then I shall give you a good tip”. Alan who was by now refreshed decided that he would give in and started off loading with the old guy occasionally giving him a hand for a few minutes and then disappearing for a long spell.
Alan said that he was completely knackered after pushing all the rolls of paper uphill and when he had finally finished he received his C.M.R. back and reminded the old guy that he had promised Alan a good tip.
The old guy gave Alan 50 pence and the name of a horse with the time and place of where it was running on the following Saturday and told Alan to back it. As Alan wasn’t a gambling man he left along with the 50 pence and a very bad feeling that he had been taken for a ride.
But that wasn’t the end of the story as Alan told an Irish guy who drove for Dow called Mick whose surname I still can’t remember and Mick along with Roger Dowsett were massively into horse racing. Mick put the 50 pence on the horse the following Saturday and it came in at 33 to 1 so Alan came out about 16 quid better off.

bullitt, I have been looking at one of your old threads ‘Pull Up A Sandbag’ as it seems that all your old photos have disappeared so would it possible to repost a couple of your photos of the old Autoput on the T.I.R. road. :smiley:

Regards Steve.

MM, I will have a look and see where they have gone. Double click on each picture to enlarge.

Zagreb heading east to Belgrade.

Service area on the Zagreb to Belgrade motorway, heading east.

010.PNG Whats now Bosnia, old road heading south from Gornji Vakuf to Prozor.

The road from Sarajevo to Mostar and then onto the Croatian // Bosnian border at Metkovic / Doljani.

Jablanica to Konjic road.

Old TIR road Sarajevo. :open_mouth:

Good ol Yugo photos. Thanks bullitt. Please post more if you have them as I’m a relative newcomer on TNUK and if you had posted them earlier I hadn’t seen them. One thing that struck me immediately was the better state of the roads. Duel carriageway and second lanes on hills. In the late 70’s and early 80’s the Zagreb bypass wasn’t even built. Think that was finished about 83.

I have a little anecdote of an incident that happened on one trip just after I left Sarajevo. I had loaded in the area and cleared customs and was homeward bound. The weather was cold and wet. Dunno why but I always seemed to have more than my fair share of fog, rain, snow or general gunge whilst there. Anyway, I was about twenty klics north of Sarajevo heading north at a very sedate pace. There was a fair bit of traffic around as I had only just left the suburbs. The road was fairly straight and I had a few cars behind me. Suddenly a saw in the mirror one of the cars pull out to overtake me. It didn’t seem to be travelling very fast but there was nothing coming towards me so I wasn’t concerned. The car then disappeared into my blind spot. I still wasn’t concerned I just kept poodling along but then I saw this Yugo lorry coming towards me. It was still a fair way ahead but I thought to myself this overtaking car is taking a hell of a time getting past me. Or had I missed something!! Had he pulled back in behind me. The Yugo lorry was much closer now. Maybe only 300m ahead and the gap was closing fast. 100m and I could see the driver waving his arms. 20m and suddenly the little car was lurching in front of me. He missed both of us by a hairs breadth. If he hadn’t at that split second got in front of me he would have been mangled between us. He was a very lucky man but his problems weren’t over yet. As he lurched in front of me he lost it. He spun round a couple of times on the wet road ahead of me then went onto the verge where he hit a large road sign. This changed his direction and he was shot back onto the road where he missed all the traffic coming towards us. He then left the road again on the opposite side to me and went up a steep bank backwards. This slowed him down to a stop where as I went by him he was gradually sliding back down the bank onto the road again.

As he hadn’t hit anyone I wasn’t going to stop. It was his hard luck but one thing that made me chuckle afterwards was that he was driving one of those little Fiat 500’s that the Italians and Yugo’s loved at that time and I think were then being built in Yugo. We all new the Fiats as there were many of them about and our nickname for them was “■■■■■■■ fleas”. I had a feeling though there would have been more than a few ■■■■■ in his car by the time he came to a standstill.

Thanks bullitt for reposting those photos. :smiley:
It seems now that Photobucket has changed it’s third party posting policy so hundreds of classic old middle east photos have now been lost forever. :cry:
It looks like anybody who posted photos on Trucknet over the years through Photobucket can no longer view them on the thread unless they pay. I have just been looking on the Astran/Middle East thread and it seems that lots of those old classic photos may never be seen again as the owners of the original photos have now passed on. We can still load them on Trucknet straight from our computers so I hope that this new policy backfires on Photobucket and that other members stop using that site altogether.
Nice story Brian, :smiley: I bet that every driver who transited Yugoslavia must of had at least one squeaky bum moment especially with all those Zoll platers or The Zoomies on their way down to Baghdad or with The German Guest Arbiters on their way back to Turkey for their summer holidays. :unamused:

sandway:

bullitt:

Wholeheartedly agree bullitt. Thats a great story. Just hope the copper got the sack for losing it. They always seemed such a miserable lot. Weren’t happy unless they were fleecing you of something.

Hi Sandway. I have just P.M’d you

Vodka Cola Cowboy:

sandway:

bullitt:

Hi Sandway. I have just P.M’d you

Evening Micky T. In reply to your P.M. Yes of course you can. I look forward to the end result.

A few pictures from 79. Not sure exactly where but it was either Jordan or Syria. If the road needed to be resurfaced then they just closed it and you drove around the closed bit using the desert. That was fine until the idiots who loved making as much dust as possible got it into their heads to try and get that dust into your cab. If I saw them coming up behind me I would try to get all my windows shut before they overtook me.

I remember having eventually passed through Zakho - after several long days of waiting - and was on the open road heading South towards Baghdad. A wonderful feeling of moving and going somewhere after the border nightmare.

There was a very long stretch of straight road through the desert and I was overtaken by a spanking brand new tanker lorry driving absolutely flat out… A bit further on ahead this very straight road came to a T junction which was unmarked in any way… No sign left or right for Baghdad. You just had to guess… As you drove down through the flat desert along this very straight road the road just seemed to come to an end…

Our tanker driver hero spotted this T junction only when he arrived at it - and instead of going straight on into the desert - which might have been sensible the speed he was going - he decided to turn hard left at great speed. I was treated to the show of the lovely, shiny new articulated tanker rolling over… More amusing was the driver crawling out and standing in front of the truck lying on its side and putting out both his hands whilst turning his hands palm upwards in the sort of gesture which might mean “what on earth have you done?”. I laughed for hours afterwards.

Another memory is driving from the customs at Habiniyah to go back into Baghdad town… There was sort of an archway and police post and, on either side of the road, a very deep ditch - maybe 2m deep with a sharp V shape at the bottom - presumably to prevent Abdul from passing by the police post through the desert… Driving a right hand drive vehicle I watched my rear view mirror with interest as the car behind me decided to try driving into the gully to try and pass me… What he was thinking I don’t know, even a Jeep would have found it impossible to get out again… Naturally he jammed the car on its side at the bottom. I was chuckling to myself at his stupidity when the car behind him followed as well and the the next one too… So now we had 3 cars all stuck in the gully with no way of getting out… Bizarre in the extreme… But very, very funny indeed

Does anyone remember the cars in Iraq with scythes attached to their wheel hubs? I always wondered how the wheels were balanced and what it must have felt like travelling at speed in one… Best not to get to close to them in traffic.

Yes I remember those scythes Efes. I think all the drivers in Iraq thought they had Roman chariots. Certainly most of the cars looked as if they’d been in a battle or two.

THE SAGA OF THE EMBASSY KHAZI.
The Haifa Street and Al-Karkh neighbourhood was chosen by the Municipality of Baghdad to be redeveloped with a high rise development of apartments. This area would become home to thousands of Saddam Husseins devoted followers. From intelligence officers to party officials. These apartments were only handed over to the most loyal of his band of brothers. We are talking of the early 80’s. Of course in this uncertain world there will always be change. By 2004 Haifa Street was one of the most dangerous areas in Baghdad. Still occupied by swathes of loyal Hussein followers many American troops lost their life there. In 2005 the Americans handed security over to the Iraqi army and some kinda peace followed. Only because there were no Americans to shoot at of course.

Before this new development could take place the land had to be acquired and cleared. Of course, being Iraq this wasn’t a problem. If you owned a house there you either left, with a small amount of compensation or you ended up in Abu Graib prison. However, there was one small problem the Municipality of Baghdad came up against and that was the British Embassy. Standing on the banks of the Tigress river it was housed in large palatial grounds extending to quite a few acres. I remember a football match was played here one year in the early to mid 80’s between an embassy team and a British Pavilion exhibitors team. Not sure who won but at least they had the embassy bar to celebrate in or drown their sorrows afterwards.

As I was saying the British Embassy was in the way of this new development. Well, not quite correct. The Iraqis wanted to straighten the road to the front of the embassy grounds and they needed about thirty metres of the gardens that bordered the road to do so. But here the embassy was in a bit of a dilemma as hidden in these gardens was the embassy septic tank. The Iraqis were insisting that the land be handed over asap whilst the Ambassador and his staff were not looking forward to using Iraqi “portaloos” so were in no hurry to placate their hosts. Of course, there are channels to go through in diplomatic circles even for a replacement septic tank. A surveyor had to be flown out from the UK and plans drawn up. A scheme had to be devised and builders lined up. As time was of the essence it was decided a team of British builders would be used. A lot of work was involved. It was not just replacing the septic tank and the soakaways but a high security fence had to be constructed as well as a new entrance.

Of course you couldn’t just pop round to Abdul’s Building Supplies for material to do the job. There was no Travis Perkins or Jewsons. Most of what was required had to be shipped out from the UK.

It was at this delicate moment in history that the call went out to the British Road Haulage Industry. There was a far flung bit of Britain in deep sh-t. It was being threatened by the local madman and his warlike tribe and the position did not look good. Reinforcements were needed. The British Khazi was under attack and could be compromised at any time. Help must be got to them asap as surrender was out of the question. What was required of the British Road Haulage Industry was that a task force be formed, just as Maggie was doing over the Falklands around that time. It would have been difficult for her to handle two battles at the same time.

It is here, with a certain amount of humility, that I can say that “little old Promotor” came to the rescue. Well, that should read sandway and Promotor came to the rescue. I was resting at home when I got the Call from “Staggie” our transport manager. He was very excited, even more than usual when something big was happening. Perhaps he saw a knighthood looming. He gave me the lowdown on the job and also an eta in Baghdad. It was at this point alarm bells started to go off. “You want me down there when”, I shouted down the phone. No way, impossible, can’t be done and so on. Why not put Bill Took or Welly Ward or Ramsey Patterson on the job. They all carry a spare set of wings. I’m a thirteen day man. Never done it quicker. Never will. I was then told by a sheepish “Staggie” that I was the only driver available and that I had a visa in my passport where others didn’t. Well that deflated my ego immediately. OK, I said when will the trailer be ready still not promising to get it down there by the date given to me. Ermm-- thats another little problem. As you’re the only driver around we need you to load it as well. Only two pickups though and the rest will be back here in the yard. It was at this point I almost felt sorry for “Staggie” as both of us could sense his knighthood slipping away.

I returned to the depot next day and went straight to the Klagaster factory to load the septic tank. From there I went to a fencing company where that was also loaded. Late afternoon I was back in our yard to complete the loading of the trailer. Septic tank, fencing, pipes, cement, barbed wire and loads of other small bits needed to complete the job. I’d had a hard day running around getting loaded but I now needed a rest before starting my journey. All the sympathy I got from “Staggie” was “what you still here” and I was once again reminded of the eta Baghdad.

So I headed off along the A25 and A20 to Dover to catch the late evening boat to Zeebrugge. At least I could grab a meal, shower and a few hours sleep on there. Hang in there lads. Keep those legs crossed. Promotor’s on its way…