Any old promotor drivers around

Well!!! What did you do when you had three or four days with nothing to do.

It was (sometimes) a tough job but somebody had to do it. :laughing:
One job that springs to mind was when Dave Longden and myself had to load at International Paints in Gateshead.
We loaded at 8 a.m. on the Monday morning, two full loads of marine paint for a supertanker that was being refitted in Piraeus Docks near Athens. We were loaded just before lunch time and made our way down to Hull as were booked on the 6 p.m. North Sea Ferry to Rotterdam. We usually cleared with Britannia Freight in Hull, I.I.R.C. the guys name was Bill Jobling who started our Carnet T.I.R. for us.
As we were told to get there A.S.A.P. as they were waiting for the paint and the job was at a standstill, we decided to give it what we thought were big hits through Holland, West Germany, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia and into Greece at Evsoni. We arrived in Piraeus on the Saturday afternoon and parked on the big car park where the ferries used to leave for lots of the Greek Islands. We spent the night in The Lantern CafĂ© next to the car park and met up with a Swede who dropped his trailer on the Sunday morning and after about six of us piled into his cab we went round to Glyfadia Beach for a bit of sunbathing. I remember when an American B52 Bomber came screaming low over the beach on it’s way to the American Air Force Base at Glyfadia, it was certainly a lot noisier than all the other civilian aircraft and quite an impressive site.
On Monday morning we went around to the customs, we found our agent and we were cleared just after lunch time when he told us that there was a problem, we would not be able to unload that day. We telephoned Dow Freight who said give us a ring when you are tipped and we will send the agent a telex with your reloading address. So Dave and I dropped our trailers and we drove back to The Lantern Café, or was it The Harbour Inn that night, I am not sure as they were both next to the big car park near Saint Nicks Square.
Tuesday morning we went back to the customs and the agent was doing a lot of phoning about but he seemed to be getting nowhere. We weren’t complaining, the sun was out and there was a nice little Taverner just outside the customs where Dave and I had lunch. By 3 p.m. we were told that things were starting to move and that they would soon have an address where we had to go to off load but by 6 p.m it was a case of we won’t know until the morning. We phoned Dow who were already aware of the situation and they said “don’t worry we are already claiming demurrage but give us a call when you do get tipped”. So we decided to stop the night in the customs and revisit the Taverner where we had lunch.
At 9 a.m. on Wednesday morning we walked around to the agents who told us to go back to the trucks in the customs and he would come and see us when he had received the address. He arrived about 11 a.m. and told us that we had to go to a ship yard which was a couple of kilometres outside Piraeus and that we had to follow him in his car. We arrived at the shipyard and parked next to what looked to us like a Supertanker although it’s wasn’t as big as the Supertankers that they have today.
An English engineer who was wearing a pair of overalls came over to talk to us and asked us what we had on and when we said paint he “(z.b.) ing paint, I am waiting for a prop shaft”. We won’t need the paint for another two weeks. :open_mouth:
The agent came back and said that he would return after lunch as there was now another problem and he would need to go and phone somebody. The English guy who turned out to be a Geordie invited us on the ship for some lunch so Dave and I climbed up what seemed like hundreds of stairs until we came to a lift that took us up a few more floors and walked along a corridor where we reached the dining room. We had a good free lunch and the Geordie guy asked us did we want to see around the ship. From the wheelhouse it was amazing looking towards the front of the ship which must of been about two football pitches long. We were then told that as they didn’t have enough room in the inflammable store at the shipyard for both of our loads we would have to take the paint somewhere else.
About 5 p.m. the agent returned and said that we had to take the loads to a inflammable compound as it couldn’t be left on the docks for two weeks but he wouldn’t know the address until tomorrow. We phoned Dow who just said “stick with and don’t get too sunburnt”, they were always very sympathetic. So we dropped our trailers in the docks and ran solo over to Saint Nicks and spent the night in The Harbour Inn or The Lantern.
On Thursday morning we went around in Dave’s unit to the agents who told us that we had to collect the trailers from the shipyard and that it had been arranged so that we could park them up in the customs compound. Meanwhile the agent was still trying to find the address of where the secured inflammable compound was. We ended up spending Thursday night in the Taverna just around the corner from the customs.
On Friday morning at 9 a.m. Dave and myself walked to the agents who said that he was still waiting for the address and that somebody was going to phone him shortly. So we sat outside a pavement café across the road having a coffee when the agent came over with a big smile on his face. He had just received the address of the secured inflammable compound and told us to hurry up and drink our coffee and follow him.
We must of drove about twenty kilometres outside Athens following the agents little car, we went over a few hills and through a couple of little villages when we came to what looked like a building site. It was about the size of a tennis court with the same kind of link wire fence around it and in the corner about half a dozen bricklayers were building a shed which didn’t even have doors, windows or a roof on it yet. The agent looked very surprised and told us to wait there and he would go back to the village and make a phone call.
The building site was on top of a very windy hill with lots of dust and sand blowing around and we could see Athens and the sea in the distance. Eventually the agent came back and said “yes, this is where you must offload”. We both had twenty pallets of paint which was shrink wrapped onto the pallet. On site there was an old tractor which had a forklift attachment on the front of it so Dave and I stripped out both sides of the tilts. We didn’t think that that store was going to be finished for a least a couple of days but that wasn’t our problem. The agent stamped, signed and dated our C.M.R’s. which was proof of delivery so Dave and myself headed back towards the main Athens to Thessalonica road and stopped at a place called Blue Bay which was about a two to three hour drive from Athens. There was a nice restaurant there where you could park the trucks right next to the beach and go for a swim. We phoned the imports manager at Dow who was a great bloke called Graham Walker to let him know that we were finally empty. No problem he said, there are two loads of tractors waiting for you at Brasov in Transylvania for delivery to Hull, see if you can get there A.S.A.P. will you. :unamused:

Great story well told! I was almost living it as I read it then realised I’m nighting out in a layby near Liverpool with no sunshine, no warmth and no bar [emoji17]

You’re right there nomiS36. mushroomman certainly knows how to tell a great story. You being in a lay-by near Liverpool reminds me of the time mid 70’s when I was in my Scammell Crusader I think. I was parked up not a million miles from where you are now but this layby was in the country and quiet. Mid evening I got out to have a pee. When I went back to the lorry I found I had somehow locked myself out. Luckily for me there was another lorry in the layby. I went over and knocked on the door to ask for some tools to help me get back in again. The chap had already turned in and being a non sleeper cab he had put boards across the cab to lie on. After a while he wound down the window and I explained my predicament. I really felt sorry for him as he disassembled his bed and found the tools I needed. After I’d gained access to my lorry I returned the tools and thanked him. Not sure what I’d have done if he’d told me to ■■■■ off when I first approached him.

Great tale there MM, a snapshot of times gone bye! Good job you weren’t on trip money! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Was that a subbie job for Anglo - Greek? I read they had the contract for running marine paint to Pireaus. Used to kill the trailers though.

Unfortunately we weren’t near a beach unlike mushroomman in his last post. But the weather was fantastic and there seemed to be plenty of booze. Only thing missing were the girls. There was one though and I have a photo of her somewhere. Well I think it was female!!!

Hopefully get this posted before I lose my internet connection again. Went off three times yesterday. Find if I turn the hub off for an hour it generally fires up again when I restart it. Grrrrr!!

Here are the last of my photos from the Ford Clinic job in Regensderg late 70’s or early 80’s. I had mentioned the dog of a German women that visited now and again. We all tried to steer clear of her but don’t thing Pat was so choosy. We understood he was having marriage problems at home and he always seemed to be reading that book, about being single I think, so maybe it was true.

Good old Graham, meeting blokes like him was one of the things that made the job so interesting. :smiley:

Hiya Bullitt, I can’t remember if that job was an Anglo Greek job or not and when you think of all the transport companies and owner drivers at the time who disappeared by the wayside over the years it would appear that the only ones who made any money were the freight forwarders, most of whom are still going today. :cry:
We were on trip money for that job as were most of the jobs and I presume that all the drivers who worked for other companies all had to sit down with their bosses when they got back from a trip and do their ‘expenses’.
Doing your expenses was like arm wrestling, you would show him a receipt for something extra that you had paid for and occasionally he would say “oh, I can’t pay you for that or that’s a bit extravagant”. They knew if you had stretched the job out or if you had been delayed through no fault of your own. Looking back, I think that they were more than fair with me and I can only remember one time when I came away feeling that I hadn’t got as much as I had expected but as they had already paid my hotel bill in Istanbul for a week, I wasn’t really too disappointed. The term that we all used was ‘swings and roundabouts’, what you gained on some trips you sometimes lost on others.
While writing this I have just remembered an incident that happened when I first went for my interview at Dow.
Roger the boss said that I would have to be interviewed by him and Carl who was the other director so that if I turned out to be the kind of drivers who couldn’t accept getting messed about while being weeks away at a time then they would both be to blame for starting me. Roger did say to me “we know that a lot of drivers fiddle their diesel receipts and we are clamping down on that”. “We don’t mind paying you for the odd meal out now and again but we draw the line at paying your mortgage with Mickey receipts”. My answer to that was “what’s a diesel fiddle”, he smiled at me and said “you will find out sooner or later”. :laughing:

Sandway, I don’t know if you or Mick can remember this guy, Lee Marland who I expect had met up with Graham on a couple of occasions.

Morning mushroomman. Can’t say that I recognise Lee but as I have said before I was never a very gregarious type of person, unlike Graham. I’m sure if there was the slightest chance of having a drink or a chinwag Graham would have been there. Efes has intimated in a previous post that Graham could be a lazy so and so. I never found that to be strictly true but each to his own view. He certainly wasn’t built for hard manual work and as for fiddling his expenses, I don’t think he had the brainpower to suss anything out except a bit on the diesel. Must admit when it came to car jobs I could be a lazy whatsit as well. Even today I hate polishing them.

Talking of expenses. Our drivers Ramsey Patterson and George Fardell would often try to slip something a bit dodgy into their expenses at the end of a trip. They weren’t fiddling, they did it deliberately just to get “Staggie” our transport manager wound up. If we were all in the office at the same time I made sure I got my expense sheet in first otherwise the big red pen would likely be used on mine as well. However, after a year or so on the company I got myself a small portable typewriter, which I kept in the lorry and typed out my expenses and tried to keep them reasonably straight. It did get a bit embarrassing though when Staggie would wave my completed and passed expense sheet in the face of other drivers and bellow “this is how expense sheets should be presented. Legal and legible”. But as Ramsey said, he never took a secretarial course at school.

I’ve just looked back a few pages at some of my previous posts and the mistakes found are worrying. One was to do when I damaged the car in the car park of the Esteglal Hotel in Tehran. After I hit the car I said I got out and walked around to the drivers door side. This of course should have been, passenger door side. I have now edited it but it just goes to prove, as nottsnortherner said recently, “you’re getting old Brian”. Thanks for warning me Tony.

I was on my way home from Baghdad one day late 70’s or early 80’s and had done customs in Rutba. The Iraqi customs post was sited here not on the actual border with Syria as that was in the middle of nowhere. After leaving Rutba there was very little, apart from dessert until you got to the Syrian customs post east of Damascus. The whole of this area is known as the Syrian Dessert.

As I was saying I was heading home and Rutba, where I had spent the night, was well behind me. The sun was getting higher in the cloudless sky and it was hot. Very hot. You never saw much traffic on this road but one thing you did see from time to time were the articulated buses, mainly pulled by bonneted Mercedes units that ran quite frequently between Amman, Jordan and Baghdad. I know some of the exhibitors at the Baghdad Fair used this route as flying in was difficult in the late 70’s.

By now it was late morning and as I drove on towards Damascus I noticed Iraqi soldiers heading in the same direction but walking, definitely not marching. A right rag tag bunch of squaddies. In other words typical of any Iraqi soldier. As they heard me coming many of them shouted out or put there thumb out hoping I would stop and give them a lift, which of course was the last thing I would have done. Further down the road, after passing hundreds of these soldiers and ignoring all there pleas for a lift I saw something lying in the road ahead. I slowed down guessing what it might be. Yes, you’re right. It was a couple of the squaddies lying in the road with a third one trying to wave me down, as if to say they needed help. I had no intention of stopping but had to slow right down to get around them. As I did so the two lying down jumped up and all three ran to the back of my trailer. I immediately put my foot down but one of them managed to jump onto the rear bumper and hung onto the back tailgate where I had left the tilt open to show I was empty. Although I couldn’t actually see him I could clearly see his shadow as the sun was to the south and this gave me great view of him. Right I thought, you want a ride well try this for size. With that I put my toe down and shot up the road past all the other squaddies flat out for maybe fifteen klicks. I then saw that there were some old buildings on the right maybe three hundred metres from the road on a bit of a hill and all the soldiers where heading that way. So what was I to do. Take my unwanted hitch hiker to Syria of stop and let him jump off. Best to get rid of him here I thought so I slowed down to walking pace. With that he jumped off, ran to the side of the road and waved a thank you to me and joined his mates. I bet he’s still telling the story to his grandchildren of how he got a lift from a British lorry driver to this day.

Once I’d dropped him off I set off again but had gone less than a km when I saw a roadblock ahead. It was manned by soldiers but these guys were older. Much older. I slowed down but thought to myself most probablely they are after cigarettes or just want to nose around the lorry. By now I had slowed to walking pace and was about thirty metres away from them. It all looked pretty casual and I thought to myself I’m not stopping. With that I looked at the old guy who was holding an old bolt action rifle, held my hands up to him, shrugged my shoulders and rolled on past him not stopping. With that there was a bit of shouting and I put my toe down and pulled away. I then watched in my mirror as the old guy worked the bolt on his rifle and brought it up and was aiming it in my direction. Hell I thought, what do I do now, duck. No don’t be silly! That rifle was no doubt a bolt action Lee Enfield .303 from the first world war. If he attempted to fire it after all these years it would most likely blow his head off. It’s at this point I could say that when I finally crossed the border into Syria and stopped I found bullet holes in the back of my trailer!! But I didn’t and the reason being that if you put the average Iraqi soldier in a room and told him to fire at one of the four walls, its odds on he’d miss.

mushroomman:
Good old Graham, meeting blokes like him was one of the things that made the job so interesting. :smiley:

Hiya Bullitt, I can’t remember if that job was an Anglo Greek job or not and when you think of all the transport companies and owner drivers at the time who disappeared by the wayside over the years it would appear that the only ones who made any money were the freight forwarders, most of whom are still going today. :cry:
We were on trip money for that job as were most of the jobs and I presume that all the drivers who worked for other companies all had to sit down with their bosses when they got back from a trip and do their ‘expenses’.
Doing your expenses was like arm wrestling, you would show him a receipt for something extra that you had paid for and occasionally he would say “oh, I can’t pay you for that or that’s a bit extravagant”. They knew if you had stretched the job out or if you had been delayed through no fault of your own. Looking back, I think that they were more than fair with me and I can only remember one time when I came away feeling that I hadn’t got as much as I had expected but as they had already paid my hotel bill in Istanbul for a week, I wasn’t really too disappointed. The term that we all used was ‘swings and roundabouts’, what you gained on some trips you sometimes lost on others.
While writing this I have just remembered an incident that happened when I first went for my interview at Dow.
Roger the boss said that I would have to be interviewed by him and Carl who was the other director so that if I turned out to be the kind of drivers who couldn’t accept getting messed about while being weeks away at a time then they would both be to blame for starting me. Roger did say to me “we know that a lot of drivers fiddle their diesel receipts and we are clamping down on that”. “We don’t mind paying you for the odd meal out now and again but we draw the line at paying your mortgage with Mickey receipts”. My answer to that was “what’s a diesel fiddle”, he smiled at me and said “you will find out sooner or later”. :laughing:

Sandway, I don’t know if you or Mick can remember this guy, Lee Marland who I expect had met up with Graham on a couple of occasions.

Hi M.M. I remember Lee. I met him quite a few times. In fact I knew most of the Dow Freight drivers at that time. As you know, Ken S’ was a very good friend of mine. I used to meet up with them in the National or at the Zagreb motel, especially when we were weekended down there.
If I remember correctly, Carl who interviewed you with Roger was Carl Burgess, who went to D.F. from Thor’s at Stoke and took a lot of their work with him. I was mates with Barry on Thor and met him loads of times in Yugo. Did you know Barry ?

sandway:
Morning mushroomman. Can’t say that I recognise Lee but as I have said before I was never a very gregarious type of person, unlike Graham. I’m sure if there was the slightest chance of having a drink or a chinwag Graham would have been there. Efes has intimated in a previous post that Graham could be a lazy so and so. I never found that to be strictly true but each to his own view. He certainly wasn’t built for hard manual work and as for fiddling his expenses, I don’t think he had the brainpower to suss anything out except a bit on the diesel. Must admit when it came to car jobs I could be a lazy whatsit as well. Even today I hate polishing them.

Talking of expenses. Our drivers Ramsey Patterson and George Fardell would often try to slip something a bit dodgy into their expenses at the end of a trip. They weren’t fiddling, they did it deliberately just to get “Staggie” our transport manager wound up. If we were all in the office at the same time I made sure I got my expense sheet in first otherwise the big red pen would likely be used on mine as well. However, after a year or so on the company I got myself a small portable typewriter, which I kept in the lorry and typed out my expenses and tried to keep them reasonably straight. It did get a bit embarrassing though when Staggie would wave my completed and passed expense sheet in the face of other drivers and bellow “this is how expense sheets should be presented. Legal and legible”. But as Ramsey said, he never took a secretarial course at school.

I’ve just looked back a few pages at some of my previous posts and the mistakes found are worrying. One was to do when I damaged the car in the car park of the Esteglal Hotel in Tehran. After I hit the car I said I got out and walked around to the drivers door side. This of course should have been, passenger door side. I have now edited it but it just goes to prove, as nottsnortherner said recently, “you’re getting old Brian”. Thanks for warning me Tony.

Good afternoon Mr Sandway. Just caught up on your latest Tales of the Unexpected. You really have some great stories. It is great looking at your photo’s of the old faces and remembering them. I hope that you and M.M. have some more stuff to tell. Mick.

Dave Lloyd doing what he did best!!!

Baghdad International Fair circa 1992 ish?

Congratulations on achieving the milestone of 1,000 posts Jazzandy. I look forward to reading many more posts from your good self and possibly another book!!! Nice to see Little Dave at it again. Who are the ladies and did you have a hand in the Baghdad Fair that year. If it was 1992 thats more or less when I retired to the farm.

@ Mr. Sandway. I just read and enjoyed your story about the squaddies in the desert. As for the 303 rifle, well, when I was in my teens still at school in the 80’s I was a member of the army cadet force and every summer we went on 2 week camps to disused regular army camps. Our standard issue rifles for exercises were 303’s with blanks but we did get to fire them on ranges with live ammo. Let me just say you did indeed have a lucky escape because from my experience they were very powerful, very accurate and very reliable. I even managed to get my marksman badge with one! It was only the last year I served in the cadets they upgraded us to the sa80 when we went on a 2 week camp to Folkestone. The camp was near to where they were building the channel tunnel at the time because we went passed it on the way to the ranges in a mini bus.

nomiS36:
@ Mr. Sandway. I just read and enjoyed your story about the squaddies in the desert. As for the 303 rifle, well, when I was in my teens still at school in the 80’s I was a member of the army cadet force and every summer we went on 2 week camps to disused regular army camps. Our standard issue rifles for exercises were 303’s with blanks but we did get to fire them on ranges with live ammo. Let me just say you did indeed have a lucky escape because from my experience they were very powerful, very accurate and very reliable. I even managed to get my marksman badge with one! It was only the last year I served in the cadets they upgraded us to the sa80 when we went on a 2 week camp to Folkestone. The camp was near to where they were building the channel tunnel at the time because we went passed it on the way to the ranges in a mini bus.

Morning nomiS36. I don’t doubt for one minute I could have been blown away if the rifle had been in your well trained hands but in the hands of an old Iraqi soldier who hadn’t fired it for 50 years as he only had one round up the spout and he didn’t want to waste it didn’t exactly bring me out in a sweat. Or had the sun got at me and I’d gone a bit doolally. Reminds me of the film Dirty Harry where Clint Eastwood is often quoted as saying to the lowlife “do you feel lucky punk” or words to that effect as he’s about to blow him away!!! I felt lucky

Hi Mick, I hope that your health is getting a bit better now that the winter is over. The only Thor driver who worked for Dow as far as I can remember was Alan Morrey. I am not sure if the Barry who you are thinking of who worked for Thor may of been a lad called Barry Dericot, hopefully some of the Stoke lads can put you right on that one. Phil Bunch would know, his mate who used to post quite a lot on here called Jeff The Flying Foden put some of Phil’s old Thor picture on the site several years ago. I hope that he won’t mind me reshowing a couple of them which I think that you would like to see.
Carl was always fair with me, in fact as far as I can remember he always stood up for all the drivers and I was sorry to read on Trucknet a few weeks ago that he had passed away in Thailand even though it was some years ago.
Lee passed away in Malta about twenty years ago while he was in his early fifties. Dave Shawcross went there on holiday a couple of years ago and contacted The British Embassy to see if they had a record of where he was buried as Dave and his wife thought it might be nice to put some flowers on his grave but unfortunately they couldn’t come up with anything.
Ken did continental work into his sixties, mainly hanging garments from the Commie Block. He probably told you that he had a wonderful son called Ian who was born when Ken was about 45, Ian used to go with Ken in the school holidays so you might of met him on one of his trips. Ian died when he was only fifteen due to some veins near his brain which were crossed when he was born. I knew that Ian wasn’t well so when I got back into West Germany at Waidhaus I gave Ken a call from the telephone box to see how he was. Ken told me that Ian had died that afternoon, we both burst out crying for what must of been nearly ten minutes. I just kept pumping the one Deutsch Mark pieces into the phone box while I was sobbing and whenever I tried to say something I just stuttered and carried on crying. Ken managed to get the words out “I know what you are trying to say” and I eventually had to put the phone down without being able to say good bye.
Ken took it really badly and had take a year off work but to give Dow a bit of credit they kept paying his wages for a year and then created a job for him working in the yard and the warehouse.
B.T.W. Mick I was talking to Terry Smith a couple of weeks ago and he asked me to pass on his regards to
you.
Take care Mick, best regards Steve.

Terry and his daughter.

Ken and Eric.

Promotor travel tarts - Tehran International Fair mid 1980’s?

Jazzandy:
Promotor travel tarts - Tehran International Fair mid 1980’s?

Promotor travel tarts in their finest. I take it the two fingered gesture was for the photographer!!! Was that you Jazzandy?

Jazzandy:
Dave Lloyd doing what he did best!!!

Baghdad International Fair circa 1992 ish?

sandway doing what he did best!!!

mushroomman:
Hi Mick, I hope that your health is getting a bit better now that the winter is over. The only Thor driver who worked for Dow as far as I can remember was Alan Morrey. I am not sure if the Barry who you are thinking of who worked for Thor may of been a lad called Barry Dericot, hopefully some of the Stoke lads can put you right on that one. Phil Bunch would know, his mate who used to post quite a lot on here called Jeff The Flying Foden put some of Phil’s old Thor picture on the site several years ago. I hope that he won’t mind me reshowing a couple of them which I think that you would like to see.
Carl was always fair with me, in fact as far as I can remember he always stood up for all the drivers and I was sorry to read on Trucknet a few weeks ago that he had passed away in Thailand even though it was some years ago.
Lee passed away in Malta about twenty years ago while he was in his early fifties. Dave Shawcross went there on holiday a couple of years ago and contacted The British Embassy to see if they had a record of where he was buried as Dave and his wife thought it might be nice to put some flowers on his grave but unfortunately they couldn’t come up with anything.
Ken did continental work into his sixties, mainly hanging garments from the Commie Block. He probably told you that he had a wonderful son called Ian who was born when Ken was about 45, Ian used to go with Ken in the school holidays so you might of met him on one of his trips. Ian died when he was only fifteen due to some veins near his brain which were crossed when he was born. I knew that Ian wasn’t well so when I got back into West Germany at Waidhaus I gave Ken a call from the telephone box to see how he was. Ken told me that Ian had died that afternoon, we both burst out crying for what must of been nearly ten minutes. I just kept pumping the one Deutsch Mark pieces into the phone box while I was sobbing and whenever I tried to say something I just stuttered and carried on crying. Ken managed to get the words out “I know what you are trying to say” and I eventually had to put the phone down without being able to say good bye.
Ken took it really badly and had take a year off work but to give Dow a bit of credit they kept paying his wages for a year and then created a job for him working in the yard and the warehouse.
B.T.W. Mick I was talking to Terry Smith a couple of weeks ago and he asked me to pass on his regards to
you.
Take care Mick, best regards Steve.

Terry and his daughter.

Ken and Eric.

Hi Steve.
Yes, at the moment I am not too bad thanks. Taking a break from the chemo and going back to it in June.
I met Ian when he was out with Ken. A really nice lad. It was a shame that he passed away so young. I did hear about it at the time and felt very sorry for Ken. When you next contact Terry please give him my best regards. He was another great bloke that I used to like meeting. Didn’t he and his brother live near Skelmersdale ? Another couple of Dow’s were Barry Butterworth and Bill Bentley.
You were right. Thanks for putting the photo’s on.
Take good care mate. Mick