Any old promotor drivers around

Efes:

sandway:
It’s sad to say Richard or Bill as we knew him was only 62 when he died. Unfortunately its all too easy to see why he died of liver cancer. Many photos on his F/B page were taken either in pubs or show him with a drink in his hand. When we worked together at Childerditch his lunch hour was almost always spent in the local where 3 pints of beer and a sandwich were his staple diet. It didn’t affect his work at all but it must have been taking a toll on his body.

Do we have a funeral date? Roger Graber and I would like to attend.

Morning Efes. 27th May at 1345 hrs. Frank Gough and Trevor Newman will also be there, maybe others. I have attached a copy of the funeral arrangements provided by Frank. I understand the crematorium is at Badgers Mount.

17.png

15.png

Roger Graber and I attended Richard “Bill” Phillips’s funeral on Friday at Badger’s Mount just beyond Laver’s yard. “Take it up Laver’s” as Pete used to say.

The funeral was very upbeat for such an occasion with a video of Bill singing and the mourners joining in his rendition of “Sweet Caroline” (was he related to Bugsy?). We met Bill’s daughters, both chips off the family block - and his younger brother - and raised a glass to Bill after the service at the Duke’s Head - a pub just a few hundred yards from the Rose & Crown where we all drank with Staggie in the old days.

At the wake afterwards Roger and I had the pleasure of meeting some old-Pros, two very nice fellows; Steve and Frank and talked about the good old days and what a nice fellow Bill was. He really was.
image001.jpg Bill departed rather young I’d say.

I had been thinking in recent times that it would be good to have had a Promotor reunion - but so many have fallen in the last couple of years. Maybe too late now.

A fond farewell to Richard “Bill” Phillips

Glad to hear there were a few old Promotor drivers at Bills funeral. Roger had joined at least four years before myself. Good to see him looking well. I have attached another photo courtesy of Frank Gough.

The four drivers are from the left, Frank Gough, Trevor Newman, Kit Wagstaff and on the right Stevie Davie.

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 14.16.03.jpg

A few ‘Promotor Old Boys’.

1. Big John McFall.

2. Roger Graber.

3. Believed to be Jeff Douglas in Tehran about 76.

4. Micky Twemlow scrutinising his own book.

5. From the left. Myself, Ramsey Patterson, Chic Steadman and Paul Linscot on the right in southern Turkey about 83.

5.png

4.png

2.jpg

1.png

All the old crew together… Nice photo to see.

First 2 photos show our Steve Lacy’s aka flyingflash007 lorry when he was an O/D. Certainly didn’t have anything that powerful when he was on Pro’s.

The third photo I saw online. I thought the rig looked as if it was fresh out of the paint shop. Great photo.

3.png

Hello Sandway, I think that we mentioned this same truck on page 13 of this excellent thread about six years ago.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … &start=360

Hi all. My names Matt Thayre, im one of Trevor Thayres sons.
We found this forum by chance today.
Ive been looking through this thread roaring at some of the pictures of my dad.
Trevor passed away a month ago in West Sussex.
Id love to hear any stories or get hold of any pictures you guys might still have of him and the Promotor days.
I used to go away with him as often as I could (and as often as mum would let me go). Ill post up some photos we’ve found of him over the next few days.
Looking forward to chatting, Matt.

Hello Matt. So sorry to hear of Trev’s passing. He was someone I really liked and got on well with. Is Maive, your mother still with us? I know she had some health issues years ago. They would both come and stay with us down in Dorset. Such a lovely couple. Unfortunately we lost contact with them but both my wife and I have wondered, over the years, what happened to them. I had some photos of both of them sitting in our garden and it was only a month or two back that I tried, unsuccessfully, to find them.

If you have read back through this blog you will have seen all my photos I have of Trev and read my little anecdotes concerning our time together on Pro’s. One story that sticks in my mind is when he broke down in Russia, on his way to Moscow. He was stuck by the side of the road for three days in the winter. He told me he thought he was a gonner until a Dane pulled into the lay-by. Trev told me he jumped out of his lorry and sprinted down the road to get his attention before he left. Now that would have been a funny sight, Trev sprinting. As we know he wasn’t built for speed.

I remember your Mum and Dad mentioning your name but until I saw your post I had forgotten it. I would love to see the photos you have. Could you please scan them, not take photos of them using your smart phone. So many great photos I have seen on Facebook are ruined because of the way they are copied. If you don’t have a printer/scanner I would be more than pleased to copy them for you. If you do have a lot of material to post best not to post it all in one go.

Would be very interested in anything you have on Trev. Not just when he was on Pro’s. When did he start driving and with whom. I know he left us when the BBC asked him to drive their double decker bus around Eastern Europe and North Africa. We had the contract at the time but when we were told they had asked him to work direct for them none of us were fazed. If it had been anyone else other than Trev it would not have gone down well. Do I remember him doing agency work when the BBC job finished?

Looking forward to your posts in future Matt. You can send private emails through TruckNet if you wish.
Brian.

ps. The attached photo was taken in Nurnberg whilst a Ford Clinic was on in in the early 80’s. For those not in the know Trev is the one getting all the attention.

Screenshot 2022-07-31 at 08.11.26.png

Hey Brian.
Dad was built for comfort and not speed that’s for sure :slight_smile:
We lost mum about 15 years ago. She hadn’t been well for a long time. Dads funeral is on the 4th of August at the Surrey & Sussex Crematorium.
Im scanning a load of pictures so I will put some up soon.
Catch up soon, Matt.

A few photos of our Trevor. A pleasure to have worked with you Trev. RIP.

6.png

5.png

4.png

3.png

2.png

1.png

sandway:
Would be very interested in anything you have on Trev. Not just when he was on Pro’s. When did he start driving and with whom. I know he left us when the BBC asked him to drive their double decker bus around Eastern Europe and North Africa. We had the contract at the time but when we were told they had asked him to work direct for them none of us were fazed. If it had been anyone else other than Trev it would not have gone down well. Do I remember him doing agency work when the BBC job finished?

Just found a couple of photos that featured Trevor Thayre. I may have posted them a few years back. They were taken whilst we were doing an all British Trade Exhibition in Casablanca.

Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 10.07.50.png

There was another red double decker bus at our exhibition in Casablanca. It was parked at the other end of the hotel away from our area. Never did find out what it was doing there. Can only assume it was owned by a local company.

Thank you so much for sharing them. Im sending them to my brother as well. We’ve had a few chuckles :slight_smile:

Very sorry to hear about the passing of Trevor. He was a nice fellow, always calm and pleasant.

I don’t particularly remember running with him but bumped into him all over Europe. I remember he got bashed with the ■■■■ of a gun at the Iraqi border by a casually violent soldier… Trevor then found an officer and explained what had happened and was invited to see if they could locate the soldier in question… They found him - and the soldier was relieved of his weapon and taken behind a trailer - where a gang of soldiers beat him senseless…

Another time I met him at Furth in Wald with Mavis and I suspect Matt too…

My condolences to the family

katchmoore:
Thank you so much for sharing them. Im sending them to my brother as well. We’ve had a few chuckles :slight_smile:

Morning Matt. I hope you all gave Trev a good send off. He was such a nice guy. How old was he?
Looking forward to seeing some more of your photos.

A few photos from Frank Gough aka Transit Van Gough. The lorries belong to Ontime who bought out Promotor.

Frank was telling me he was at The Dagenham Transit Centre in 2016 where he met Guy Martin who was there for the official opening.

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 09.08.58.png

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 08.44.08.png

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 08.34.13.png

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 08.33.42.png

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 08.33.08.png

Promotor driver Dave Clark was with the company in the early to mid 70’s having joined from Asian Transport where he had driven for a number of years.

I posted a couple of well known photos on F/B a few years ago asking if Dave featured in them. Unfortunately no reply to that question but yesterday Darren Teaham posted some old photos of Asian Transport lorry UHM 25F in which his uncle drove when he did a stint for them. The photos in question are the last three below.

Now I know you still pop in here from time to time Dave. Last time was four weeks ago. You have only ever posted once on Trucknet. Its about time for your second post (with some of your reminiscences).

Please click on a photo to enlarge.

6.png

5.png

4.png

3.png

2.png

1.png

A nice line up of some of our old lorries. I reckon this was about 76 as they look quite new.

Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 16.40.59.png