Another shot

Franglais:

albion:

calsdad:
At the end of it all a job is just that, for most its time spent doing something that you are forced to by economic necessity. How many would go to work doing what they do if they didn’t have to for money. I know I wouldn’t

For some time now, I’ve following various FIRE ( Financially Independent, Retire Early) blogs and websites and in that time various people have retired. Given that these people were particularly focused on finishing work, it’s surprising to find that there have been a couple gone back to work having missed the daily interaction and the structure of the day and a few others taken on a part time job in a different role/or found a small self-employment gig.

I could have retired sometime in 2016, but I keep turning in, mostly out of guilt.

Guilt? The famous “work ethic”?
If medicine tastes bad it must be doing you good?

Guilt or frit? Would the 21 year old you have the same qualms?

Quit thee maithering I know we drivers moan about EVERYTHING, tis true, but look at you!

All said with a huge grin, of course!

[emoji2]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

As you know, I’ve got a few drivers been here over 20 years now and a few more that in the 15-18 years bracket. At some time I’m going to have to look them in the eye and say I’m going, good luck with whoever takes over the work. We’d both know that they’d then have to work for a proper company :wink: . They wouldn’t survive :frowning: somewhere where their opinion doesn’t count, they aren’t allowed an element of control and they’d get harried from drop to drop. I’d feel guilty leaving them.

Note to self: get over yourself :blush:

Gynaecologist.

albion:

calsdad:
At the end of it all a job is just that, for most its time spent doing something that you are forced to by economic necessity. How many would go to work doing what they do if they didn’t have to for money. I know I wouldn’t

For some time now, I’ve following various FIRE ( Financially Independent, Retire Early) blogs and websites and in that time various people have retired. Given that these people were particularly focused on finishing work, it’s surprising to find that there have been a couple gone back to work having missed the daily interaction and the structure of the day and a few others taken on a part time job in a different role/or found a small self-employment gig.

I could have retired sometime in 2016, but I keep turning in, mostly out of guilt.

I know a few people who have retired early only to have gone back to work and not many due to financial necessity, one of them is a self made multi millionaire who retired to Monaco after selling his business for over £100million, he started up again last year.

Work provides more than just money, which is why people who retire and don’t fill that gap with other activities often don’t last long.

I’ve worked for quite a few self made multi millionaire types over the years, mostly because they’re the only people who can afford to go racing.
They seem to have a few things in common, they’ve made more than enough to live the life they want and pay for the dreams they had when they started out, but continue running businesses, it seems not to be for the money, but for the challenge or even the risk.

Unlike most of us they’ll put everything on the line, which is probably what attracts them to motor racing, running a small hobby businesses just to pass the time in retirement is not in their nature, it has to be a business that if it fails could break them and most of them have failed in the past, but just picked themselves up and had another go and risked it all again and this time it works out.
It does make me think there are many others out there like them, but they’ve just done the risk everything and failed, the Del Boys of this World.

Just to clarify, I wouldn’t even be in the single millionaire bracket, nevermind multi!

alans123:
Gynaecologist.

Qualified? Or just an enthusiastic amateur?

Captain Caveman 76:

alans123:
Gynaecologist.

I assume most women don’t go to a Gynaecologist because it’s a fun day out, (don’t often hear them talk about it in the same way as a Spa day) but go when something is wrong, so would it be such a great job? :confused:

muckles:

Captain Caveman 76:

alans123:
Gynaecologist.

I assume most women don’t go to a Gynaecologist because it’s a fun day out, (don’t often hear them talk about it in the same way as a Spa day) but go when something is wrong, so would it be such a great job? :confused:

Get it wrong, you get kicked in the face :wink: Trip to the gynae over in 5 minutes, spa day goes one for hours and hours. Difficult to know which is worst. :unamused:

albion:

muckles:

Captain Caveman 76:

alans123:
Gynaecologist.

Get it wrong, you get kicked in the face :wink:

If you get it badly wrong, you’re likely to get bitten. :laughing:

albion:
Trip to the gynae over in 5 minutes, spa day goes one for hours and hours. Difficult to know which is worst. :unamused:

I think from the many things you’ve written on this website we can assume you’re not the average woman, :wink: if there is such a thing, :open_mouth: however many women of my acquaintance seem to be very keen on a Spa day, but don’t seem to relish a trip to the Gynaecologist with the same enthusiasm,well they don’t tend to post photos of their appointment on Facebook.

albion:

Franglais:

albion:

calsdad:

Guilt? The famous “work ethic”?
If medicine tastes bad it must be doing you good?

Guilt or frit? Would the 21 year old you have the same qualms?

Quit thee maithering I know we drivers moan about EVERYTHING, tis true, but look at you!

All said with a huge grin, of course!

[emoji2]

As you know, I’ve got a few drivers been here over 20 years now and a few more that in the 15-18 years bracket. At some time I’m going to have to look them in the eye and say I’m going, good luck with whoever takes over the work. We’d both know that they’d then have to work for a proper company :wink: . They wouldn’t survive :frowning: somewhere where their opinion doesn’t count, they aren’t allowed an element of control and they’d get harried from drop to drop. I’d feel guilty leaving them.

Note to self: get over yourself :blush:

Having a conscience and thinking of employees is to be applauded. But are you saying your guys are so useless they wouldn’t survive out here in the real world? If they’ve had an easy job with you, then shouldn’t they be happy with that experience, rather than expect it to continue forever? (Hope that isn’t schadenfreude from me).
Your guys may be unhappy at change but sooner or later??
What have you said many times to newer prospective drivers who are undecided whether or not to “give it a go”. What would you advise another in your place? Not an easy jump to make, but do it while you’ve a choice.

Just between you and me muckles, I don’t really understand women either. Why aren’t they excited about a Scania, or a DAF if they must, the same as I am. :unamused:

I know franglais, they can manage on their own two feet, but it’s like having family, you can’t stop worrying about them!

With regard to what I would do if I had my time again, I would go back to the early 80s and join the London Fire Brigade at 18 instead of waiting quite a few years later and getting in somewhere else! :laughing: I miss the 80s! :wink:

albion:
…For some time now, I’ve following various FIRE ( Financially Independent, Retire Early) blogs and websites and in that time various people have retired. Given that these people were particularly focused on finishing work, it’s surprising to find that there have been a couple gone back to work having missed the daily interaction and the structure of the day and a few others taken on a part time job in a different role/or found a small self-employment gig…

Ms Albion…I have never heard of that acronym or expression before so I guess I am a F.I.R.E person! But Im in my mid 50s, so far to young to retire properly though. I suppose im fortunate in as much as I have no mortgage now and a pension I can live on without working but I still choose to run my own small business for the very reasons you state, IE regarding missing the daily interaction with other people and the structure of the day. You have to have something to get up for and people to interact with. Its either that or an early grave! :open_mouth:

bullitt:
With regard to what I would do if I had my time again, I would go back to the early 80s and join the London Fire Brigade at 18 instead of waiting quite a few years later and getting in somewhere else! :laughing: I miss the 80s! :wink:

albion:
…For some time now, I’ve following various FIRE ( Financially Independent, Retire Early) blogs and websites and in that time various people have retired. Given that these people were particularly focused on finishing work, it’s surprising to find that there have been a couple gone back to work having missed the daily interaction and the structure of the day and a few others taken on a part time job in a different role/or found a small self-employment gig…

Ms Albion…I have never heard of that acronym or expression before so I guess I am a F.I.R.E person! But Im in my mid 50s so far to young to retire properly though. I suppose im fortunate in as much as I have no mortgage now and a pension I can live on without working but I still choose to run my own small business for the very reasons you state, IE regarding missing the daily interaction with other people and the structure of the day. You have to have something to get up for and people to interact with. Its either that or an early grave! :open_mouth:

The 80s were good for me!

We must be about the same age. There are a lot of blogs out there, UK, States, Germany oddly, where people have made it their life’s mission to finish work. There s a very long thread on Money Saving Expert forum on the pensions board title Early Retirement Wannabe. Some people really do enjoy being retired and have enough to do in their lives and I can respect anyone that finds a hobby or volunteer work that gives them the structure they need.

Good to hear you have got yourself into the sweet spot.

albion:
…Good to hear you have got yourself into the sweet spot…

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: Doesn’t happen as often as it did in the 80`s though! :wink:

bullitt:

albion:
…Good to hear you have got yourself into the sweet spot…

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: Doesn’t happen as often as it did in the 80`s though! :wink:

Doesn’t for any of us :laughing:

I’ve been the management route and I enjoyed it to a point but it soon wears thin the constant battles and always being available 24/7. I achieved some notable things in an industry that I’ve been involved with for over 15 years that has seen me travel all over Europe, reside in Italy and Spain for a period.

BUT

I said goodbye to it to go back driving. I could’ve stayed where I was but I just think people are always wary of an ex manager type so started somewhere fresh and uts the best thing I’ve done because I have no stress at all now.

If I had another shot would I do it differently? I’ve had chances to do it differently this time around but driving is in my blood through my father so I don’t think I’d stray too far.

alans123:
Gynaecologist.

Aye, that might be worth a look…know where there’s any taster courses i could try?

TiredAndEmotional:

alans123:
Gynaecologist.

Aye, that might be worth a look…know where there’s any taster courses i could try?

Park up at the super sausage in Northampton, and any one of a number of passing tutors will offer you a taster for anything between £5-£25.

alans123:
Gynaecologist.

…i must be qualified to do that job as over the years i have worked with lots of F***y’s !! :laughing:

Manual gearbox for a change

Captain Caveman 76:

alans123:
Gynaecologist.

Nah, just a genius who speaks 10 languages - “Cunning Linguist”.