Another Sat Nav moan

steviespain:
There is such a lot of negative [zb] posted here about satnavs and the need to keep checking on them with maps and stuff.

Get a good satnav, expect to pay about 350 for it, don’t buy a cheap one as they are [zb] and will see you under a bridge with us laughing at you within 3 weeks.
Set your truck parameters up correctly, then follow the routes they give.
If you end up looking at a random bridge thinking “No, it ain’t happening” turn around and [zb] off on another route.
It is not rocket science.

:unamused: Go on then sell it to me…
Why tf would I and many like minded experienced drivers spend 350 ■■■■ notes of my hard earned on a sat nav when I can manage very efficientlly thanks with my bog cheapo standard car model, or if I put my mind to it revert to (wait for it shock horror :open_mouth: ) not use one at all.
Not trying to be cleverer than anybody else or coming the big ‘I am’ just saying it as it is.

If you can persuade me to buy it, I’ll bare my arse in Debenham’s window.

I think it’s horses for courses, mate.
Because you travel from A to B on a regular basis, sometimes to C and occasionally to D.
You know the route already.
When you get thrown a curve ball…“Oy, you, take this to E”.
It’s easier, and cheaper, for you, to get the map out and check the route for things to be aware of, bridges that jump out at you, widths that squeeze yer erse, greasy spoons that serve proper english breakfasts with fried bread (Had one today, Cafe Royal, opposite asda, park royal, a thing of wonder for 6.75 :smiley: ) You already KNOW how to get to E, you just need to check the route for safety.
Doing this on a regular basis means you know the route already, and if you don’t a quick check will put you right.
Don’t buy a satnav

But for blokes like me, puddlejumping, multi drop, central London and surrounds, a satnav is absolutely invaluable. I could not, would not, do the job without it tbh.
It takes 30 seconds to put the next drops postcode in and go. On an A-Z would probably be a couple of minutes to find it, then move off. And that always assumes that you have a half competent co-pilot to map read you to the drop. No, def not happy with THAT idea.
Doing that 28 times a day would possibly cost a shed load more time. I’m not averse to a bit of OT but I’ll do it when I WANT to do it :slight_smile:
Buy a satnav.

Anyways, you’ve got one :laughing:

I still think they are a waste of money and pointless, my entire point of the post is to point out that I still think they are a waste of money, the particular satnav in my truck is free of charge and as I have always said ‘Pointless’ the company have asked me to test it out now because I have told the top people how useless it actually is. Some nice lady in our HQ has had a conversation with me and expressed her concern about the wrong routes being given, she asked me to click on a ‘Customer location’ tab in our elogs on arrival at each destination and although I have found so many wrong routes would I please carry on testing the system as they are trying to rectify the faults, it seems they intend to put android tablets in all the trucks and use them for satnavs. Anyway first test was Worcester MA to Skowhegan ME, I accepted the prompt to be guided to the customer, I had been there about a year ago and remembered that there are lots of tiny back streets with limits, luckily this time it was accurate and took me the whole 270 miles spot on. My second test was Worcester MA to Towaco NJ and again I accepted the prompt, it did take me to the customer but it took me through tiny side roads and 25 mph limits and when I arrived I found that the place was only half a mile from I-287 LOL, it took me a much slower route and I informed them, it also took me to an 11ft high bridge.
I still think they are useless and if you need one to drive a truck you are in the wrong job.

I now have a “pocket money” retirement job doing deliveries mainly to domestic premises.
all I will say is I have found every address 1st time accurate to 3 mtrs

What three words looks the way to go

and our local plods use it too

I use ‘electric maps’ to navigate a ship around the west coast of Scotland where you really need to know exactly where you are and they’ve never let me down yet but are not the approved system that would set me back 8 grand so have to have the up to date paper charts/maps to hand, not that I ever look at them. Technology has improved since the days of the lodestone and steering by the stars …