Another parking extortion

Pimpdaddy:
I got 1 in an Asda car park a while ago, ignored it & never heard anything again.

This is not a speculative invoice from a private parking company, it is a Small Claims Court summons. Under no circumstances whatsoever should it be ignored.

It can still be successfully defended but it would have been far easier to have appealed it before it got to this stage.

Don’t ingor it, but parking prankster will make it go a way

Conor:
Clueless morons like you are the reason people shouldn’t take advice to ignore notices from people on the internet.

Do you need to insult everyone when your replying to a post? Your first part was great. Informative,you sounded like you knew what you were talking about then,bam,you go for the insults. You disagree with the guy,fair enough. But can you not disagree without calling people names?
I read a lot of your advice and for the most part I take it on board because you seem like an intelligent guy but you almost always need to end with an insult.

If this happened in Scotland you can simply ignore the thieving gits.In England and Wales you should send them a Postal Order{remember them) for £3.00.This way they dont get your bank details.There is a site called pepipoo.co.uk where you can get more advice.

Ok, here is the gist…

You park, you don’t pay or overstay. The parking company can send you an invoice for breaking their terms.

If you ignore this invoice, the parking company have two choices.

1. try a few times and give up.
  2. try a few times then apply to the courts for a claim of unpaid invoice.

Number 1 is what a majority will do. Number 2 will get more common as more people ignore the first demand.
Now if you continue to ignore ALL letters, (even court ones) you will have a big bill as the courts will automatically find in their favour as you have not defended the claim.

Thus, the advice to ignore all letters and it will eventually disappear is crazy. Use the system to dispute the claim (widely detailed by Harry Monk) and you will walk away with nothing to pay.
You have a choice, if you have a brain then that choice is an easy one.

Simples.

Can’t wait for this thread to go to page 2 so I can read it on this bloody I pad!

the maoster:
Can’t wait for this thread to go to page 2 so I can read it on this bloody I pad!

Lol, I know - I have to keep pinching to zoom! :open_mouth:

Been tryin to read this thread wiv my nose touchin my tablet, must get a hang of this pinchin lark.

Simple solution, do follow Harry monks advice or go online and look up fighting illegal parking fines. The process is really easy and you will not have to pay any fine. it just requires you to write one letter where you claim that the fine does not mirror the loss and that’s it.,.,

Harry Monk:
This is not a speculative invoice from a private parking company, it is a Small Claims Court summons. Under no circumstances whatsoever should it be ignored.

Ah…

Pimpdaddy:

Harry Monk:

Ah…

+1 ahh

Nice one, page 2 at last.
Pepipoo or MSE forums may be able to offer better advice but I would consider making an out of court settlement offer based on the true cost of parking + a couple of quid.

They may try and scare you with threats of ‘costs’ but these are rarely awarded on the small claims track, dont take my word for it though seek more advice from the forums mentioned and you may also find folks who have been through similar situations.

the maoster:

Spot on, As is honked’s post above.

Under POFA 2012 Sec 56 Sched 4 (sec 16 faq) states
“Charges for breaking a parking contract must be reasonable and a genuine pre-
estimate of loss. This means charges must compensate the landholder only for
the loss they are likely to suffer because the parking contract has been broken.
For example, to cover the unpaid charges and the administrative costs
associated with issuing the ticket to recover the charges.”

Now it just needs a court to have the balls to define “administrative costs” which is unlikely.

Of course none of this would be relevant if people parking on private land weren’t selfish and didn’t take the pish out of other people’s private property or ‘service’.

How would someone like to do a drop and then be told you ain’t getting paid because they didn’t really think the ‘contract’ was fair or didn’t see it.

Michael Douglas:

Pimpdaddy:

Harry Monk:

Ah…

+1 ahh

It took a while for the penny to drop :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

speedyguy:

Michael Douglas:

Pimpdaddy:

Harry Monk:

Ah…

+1 ahh

It took a while for the penny to drop :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hey, hey…I’m Michael Douglas…the ■■■■ do I know!? :open_mouth:

Born Idle:
yesterday she received a notice from them and is now panicking about it.

This is why I hate these companies with a passion, and go out of my way to cause them the most massive amount of work and as much expense as possible. They use fear and intimidation to extort money from ordinary decent people such as your wife. They are crooks, glorified car clampers and I have no hesitation in doing what I do. If everybody did the same, they would soon have to modify their business model.

You have two choices now, to pay it or to contest it. If you contest it, you need to give your reason on the form which you have been sent by the Small Claims Court (SCC).

If you choose to contest it, do so on the grounds that “The amount claimed is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss”. It is highly unlikely that Parking Eye will even turn up at the SCC once they are advised of your defence, it would cost them around £500 to instruct a local solicitor to act on their behalf (which they cannot claim from you) and they know that the registrar will find in your favour, because it is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

I must re-iterate again, DO NOT ignore letters from private parking companies and particularly not Parking Eye, who are notoriously litigious.

If it does go to the SCC, then you will find that this is nothing like “going to court”. I have initiated two SCC actions myself, both of which I won. It is just you (or your wife), the other party and the registrar, sat around a desk in an office. You say your thing, the registrar makes a judgement. All your wife would need to say is “The amount claimed is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss”. Nothing else.

The registrar will find in your wife’s favour. Parking Eye cannot possibly have suffered losses of £80 because your wife overstayed in a free car park.

Even if the registrar did find against your wife (which he won’t) then this would not lead to a CCJ or any other blot on her credit record provided she paid the amount awarded against her within the allowable time frame (I believe this is 10 days but I’ll check this).

It’s entirely up to her, she would need to commit to going to the SCC on the day nominated, but she would be able to claim reasonable expenses- a day’s loss of earnings, travel etc but I absolutely guarantee you that she would win the case.

But the reason for the panic is self inflicted, nothing to do with the parking company. They are just following the (unjust) terms they have laid out.
If folk want to ignore it, then that is down to ignorance and stupidity.

We won’t be ignoring this…just trying to find out the best way of contesting it. Thanks again for the advice, and especially thanks to Conor for his beautiful, studied and eloquent addition to this thread!

Contraflow:

Born Idle:
Again, apologies for not knowing how to resize the pictures!

Or focus them.

I’m so good at photography it allows me to drive trucks for a living! :laughing:

I don’t know why anyone would put themselves in the situation in the first place.