Another digital tacho question

Wheel Nut:

hanson:
we have had siemans fitted in the scania we have, they have had to be replaced because they was showing you had done 20 mins more driving over the day than the digital face said i have heard that a lot of new scanias are the same

Im not sure about this extra driving. I reckon that for many years we have been very lucky and uneconomical with the truth.

That’s about the size of it Malc. A lot this extra driving time is simply just driving time being properly calculated. There are issues when it will charge you a couple of minutes for a short move, while picking up a trailer or moving in a queue while waiting to tip or load - and it is very easy to keep that to a minimum with a bit of thought - but no time is added while actually driving the thing, whether in traffic or not. In fact although it won’t add time in that situation it can and will remove some driving time from the total.

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:
Im not sure about this extra driving. I reckon that for many years we have been very lucky and uneconomical with the truth.

That’s about the size of it Malc. A lot this extra driving time is simply just driving time being properly calculated. There are issues when it will charge you a couple of minutes for a short move, while picking up a trailer or moving in a queue while waiting to tip or load - and it is very easy to keep that to a minimum with a bit of thought - but no time is added while actually driving the thing, whether in traffic or not. In fact although it won’t add time in that situation it can and will remove some driving time from the total.

I’m still not sure :confused:

I had sort come to the same conclusion. I’d sort of decided that rather than being wholly inaccurate, they were in fact “too accurate” I’d sort of accepted that half a minute here, two minutes there, wouldn’t make a massive difference even on a ten hour drive day. Ten minutes over my time on a 15 hour day with 9 hours 50 of that being driving ? I’d usually dismiss those types if infringement letters as over zealous jobsworth bigotry.

But . . . . .

The other week (and thinking about it - it could have been a Scania) I was so far out on what I thought I’d done, it beggared believe.

I’d gone from Felixstowe to Colchester (An hour - even if I’m very generous) and back, round the quay to tip and turn, then called into the Shell garage for a very nice Douwe Egbert’s coffee at Haughley Bends. Thinking I’d better check to see how long I’d got left, I did a print out. I didn’t have any left. In fact, I was 13 minutes over :open_mouth:

(I can’t now remember where I was going later, but it was important that I got as far as possible with my first hit.)

Granted, I’d gone from where I was parked up near the Basin, across to the quay - 10, maybe 15 minutes. Let’s call it 15. Another 20 minutes to go round the quay - let’s give that half an hour. That’s 45. And I think I’m being very generous in that.

Colchester and back. 45 minutes each way ? Another hour, to be on the safe side. Same back to Felixstowe. So that’s another 2. Round the quay again. I’ll even give it 45. Out to Haughley Bends ? Well it was about just under half an hour at 56, so I’ll say 45 again since we’ve been limited down to 52 mph.

With all the generosity I’ve put into that, and it was very generous, that still only gives me 4 and a quarter. Where did the other half hour go ?

The stop/start/shunt thing in queues.

The “nicking one or nicking 2 minutes” thing.

Well, I agree that if I’m in a “normal” traffic queue, on the road; then I’m still driving. If I happen to sit for 15 and have it break, I will accept that as a break (if I want to) On the day I’m talking about, I was lucky and didn’t really get caught anywhere except in the queues for the quay. Typically, that involves joining a queue of about 12 ish (never actually counted that one) and moving forward one wagon length every 4 minutes (I have counted that one) One wagon length ? Seven ? Nine seconds ? Takes about half an hour in total. Maybe the mathematicians can work out the numerical length of the queue from that ? But I don’t think that’s too important. And in my mind, it certainly doesn’t equate to half an hours driving. If I’m out of the truck doing my twistlocks, filling up my water bottle from my water carrier, making a cup of tea, stood outside shooting the breeze with someone and having a ■■■ (smoking in the cab is now illegal :unamused: ) or even sat reading the tabloid trash I choose on account of the rather marvellous ■■■■■■■ that appear now and again is such publications, I can hardly be classed as driving, or indeed being in control of the vehicle ■■?

As an aside, I’m quite grateful for those with a “little forethought”

I managed to gain three places in the queue the other day, thanks to one guy who appeared to not want to be showing short movements or “lose” the odd minute :unamused:

I predict a riot :unamused: :wink:

I have discovered this.

if you start driving for example at 06:00 and 50 seconds ,you then drive for 20 seconds to move the truck forward 20 ft.it will show 2 minutes of driving.

if you waited til the clock had gone to 06:01 and then driven for 20 seconds it will only log 1 min of driving. because you have not gone over 2 separate minutes.

its the same when you stop,If you stopped the truck at 4hrs 29 minutes and 1 second it will round the minute up to 4hrs 30 and give you an infringement.

I have also found that when you get out the truck to buy a drink/paper etc and you are less than 3 minutes before you move again it will add the stationary (other work)minutes onto your driving time whereas if you just let it go to 3-4 mins and then move ,it wont.

It does’nt bother me too much now as im used to digi’s the only time it annoys the ■■■■ aout of me is when im queueing at the docks i.e moving forward a lorry length every few minutes,it really skanks you out of driving time.

All in all, I think we need for someone to get nicked and prosecuted, or fired from a firm; so we have an actual court ruling (case law) one way or the other :confused:

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:

hanson:
we have had siemans fitted in the scania we have, they have had to be replaced because they was showing you had done 20 mins more driving over the day than the digital face said i have heard that a lot of new scanias are the same

wat im saying is that there is a fault on the siemans because it say on clock face say 4.30 driving then when you do a print out it says you have done 4.45 they have been changed now we have a different make in i know a couple of lads with new scanias this has happened to.

Hanson said;

wat im saying is that there is a fault on the siemans because it say on clock face say 4.30 driving then when you do a print out it says you have done 4.45 they have been changed now we have a different make in i know a couple of lads with new scanias this has happened to.

Not heard of this happening with VDO’s, have heard about it with Stoneridge VU’s, Stoneridge are the usual OE fit for Scania. Basically, there was a mismatch between the time values stored in the data memory and those displayed on the LCD, before anybody asks, the stored values were correct, the displayed values were not. This mainly effected vehicles used in multi-drop type operations and operators were issued replacement VU’s via Scania with upgraded software that resolved the problem. It was not possible to install the software to the VU due to the electronic security measures present in the VU software.

geebee45:
Hanson said;

wat im saying is that there is a fault on the stonebridge because it say on clock face say 4.30 driving then when you do a print out it says you have done 4.45 they have been changed now we have a different make in i know a couple of lads with new scanias this has happened to.

Not heard of this happening with VDO’s, have heard about it with Stoneridge VU’s, Stoneridge are the usual OE fit for Scania. Basically, there was a mismatch between the time values stored in the data memory and those displayed on the LCD, before anybody asks, the stored values were correct, the displayed values were not. This mainly effected vehicles used in multi-drop type operations and operators were issued replacement VU’s via Scania with upgraded software that resolved the problem. It was not possible to install the software to the VU due to the electronic security measures present in the VU software.

yeah sorry stonebridge wasnt sure if id got name correct

If you pull up for a break at 4:29:01 and the clock rounds upto 4:30 and then switches to break you don’t get an Infringement .4.30 is the limit .
If you are at the top end of 4:29 and are still moving and desperate to park and just about get it stopped slightly over 4:30 , it will go to 4:31 and then you will get an infringement for 1 minute over drive time .

Reef said:

And why does the driving time need to be reset after 45 mins has been taken that is a needless part of programming in my opinion

Basically the way that driving time and break requirements were to be interpreted was decided by a European Court ruling in the 1993 - Mayfield Chicks - where the Court ruled that once a break time of 45 minutes has been reached, the driving undertaken previously will be discounted as far as the 4.5 hour limit is concerned.

So you drive for two hours, have a break for 15 minutes drive for two hours, have a break of 30 minutes. Once you have completed the second break you start a new 4.5 hour driving period.

The driving done before the break still counts towards the ‘daily driving total.’

In this example you would need another break of 45 minutes after completing the second 4.5 hrs if you wanted to carry on to complete the daily driving total of nine or ten hours.

The Merc dashboard and digital tachos have been programmed to take this ruling into account. Only problem is that in Digital Tacho Regulation (1360/2002) they lumped ‘break’ and ‘availability’ as being the same thing, which they are not. Hence, the tacho will count any period of break or availability that is 15 minutes or more and add them together, if the results total 45 minutes or more then the driving timer is reset.

So if I drive for 2 hours have a break for 15mins then I can drive for a further 2.5 hours then have a break of 30 mins, then I can start the second driving period, which can be 4.5 hours…Now this is where I’m confused so In theory I can drive for 6.5 hours with only a thirty min break■■? Surely not.
I always thought it was a rolling time, the driving time.
Hope you good folk can help

Deepinvet:
So if I drive for 2 hours have a break for 15mins then I can drive for a further 2.5 hours then have a break of 30 mins, then I can start the second driving period, which can be 4.5 hours…Now this is where I’m confused so In theory I can drive for 6.5 hours with only a thirty min break■■? Surely not.
Hope you good folk can help

In theory yes,that is why the second break now has to be 30 mins.

before you could drive for example 30 mins have 30 mins break drive 4 hrs have 15 minute break and then drive another 4.5 hrs thus only having had a 15minute break in 8.5 hrs driving :wink:

Deepinvet:

Surely. :smiley:

It is possible to drive for 8 hours and 59 minutes with only a 30 minute break. You could drive for 1 minute and take a 15 minute break. Drive for 4 hours 29 minutes and take a 30 minute break then drive for a further 4.5 hours. Before the rule changes last April you could have swapped those breaks and done 8 hours 59 minutes with only a 15 minute break.

The digi tacho would probably count the 1 minute as 2 so you might only get 8 hours 58 minutes in if using one of those. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

Deepinvet:

It was, or rather, was understood as such, until the 1993 decision as cited above.

:wink:

Doesn’t that make a mockery of the driving regs then, if you can drive, quite legally for 8 hours 59 mins with only a 30 min break? What happend to the ‘Max 4.5 hours’ driving without a 45 break? I have been out of the game for a while so please excuse me, not fully up on the latest regs.

As has been said above, a court ruling deemed the law to be interpreted as once a 45 min break had been taken (and that 45 could be split into multiples of 3 x 15 mins [pre the law change of last year]) then the clock was reset. The rolling 4.5 hours as Krankee says was deemed not to be law. Therefore as Coffee says, 8 hours and 59 mins with only a 30 minute break is legally possible. :unamused:

Deepinvet:
Doesn’t that make a mockery of the driving regs then, if you can drive, quite legally for 8 hours 59 mins with only a 30 min break?

Yep, it pretty much does. Although, just because it is possible to do something it doesn’t mean it has to be done and I’m pretty sure most, if not all, on here would agree 8:59 with only a 30 minute break isn’t the cleverest thing to do.

Deepinvet:
I have been out of the game for a while so please excuse me, not fully up on the latest regs.

You can find the latest regs here

I’ve just had a another quick lok at the VOSA regs (revised 2007) and you are correct.
But they do slightly contradict them selves buy saying under the heading ‘Breaks’… After a driving period of no more than 4.5 hours, a driver must immediately take a break of at least 45 mins, unless he takes a rest period. A break taken in this way must not be interupted.
It then gives a few examples, none that really help.
But then further down the page it does go on about ‘wipping the slate clean’
thanks for the help guys

Deepinvet:
I’ve just had a another quick lok at the VOSA regs (revised 2007) and you are correct.
But they do slightly contradict them selves buy saying under the heading ‘Breaks’… After a driving period of no more than 4.5 hours, a driver must immediately take a break of at least 45 mins, unless he takes a rest period. A break taken in this way must not be interupted.

There is no contradiction. If you have done the first period as 4.5 hours driving without a break then you must take a full 45 minute break at that point and cannot interrupt it. At the end of the 45 minutes you have another full 4.5 hour period available before a break is required. If you drive for 2 hours, take 15 minutes, drive for 2.5 hours and take 30 minutes break, at the end of the 30 minutes you will have 4.5 hours available before another break is required.

Would I be right in thinking the only major change here is that the 3 15min breaks has been scrapped in favour of 1 15min and 1 30min break? I’m thinking the 30min break must be the 2nd one? After that there’s another 4.5hrs of driving time. Am I right?