Another Bridge Strike

Yea, the driver is at fault.

But to be honest the fact that vehicle heights and knowing your vehicle height is something that is still not taught during your HGV driving test baffles me. Because quite often when you do HGV training it is all just pre-set as your gonna be using the same trailer throughout your training.

Honestly, at this point it should be mandatory to somehow include it in the training. How? No idea. But it is stupidly clear at this point that some training needs to be given on this.

adam277:

But to be honest the fact that vehicle heights and knowing your vehicle height is something that is still not taught during your HGV driving test baffles me. Because quite often when you do HGV training it is all just pre-set as your gonna be using the same trailer throughout your training.

Honestly, at this point it should be mandatory to somehow include it in the training. How? No idea. But it is stupidly clear at this point that some training needs to be given on this.

I’m not having that. I get it up to a very small point, but we’re supposed to be professional, we’ve passed multiple more tests than a van driver or car driver for example and thus surely more gumption can be expected?

There’s already enough information about it. Most places I go to there’s at least something about bridge heights and if not surely the least inquisitive being might wonder what those number things are above your head, or might link between them and words on a trailer about how high it is.

There’s zero excuse to bash a bridge and those that do should lose their entitlement to drive HGVs at the very least. Even infants can fit shapes into correct shaped holes ffs.

toonsy:

adam277:

I’m not having that. I get it up to a very small point, but we’re supposed to be professional, we’ve passed multiple more tests than a van driver or car driver for example and thus surely more gumption can be expected?

There’s already enough information about it. Most places I go to there’s at least something about bridge heights and if not surely the least inquisitive being might wonder what those number things are above your head, or might link between them and words on a trailer about how high it is.

There’s zero excuse to bash a bridge and those that do should lose their entitlement to drive HGVs at the very least. Even infants can fit shapes into correct shaped holes ffs.

Well I disagree. I passed my HGV test about 6 years ago. It was all solely about not clipping curbs and whatnot. If we are meant to be a ‘professional’ driving then the HGV test itself I think should reflect that.
But instead the opposite is happening it is being dumbed down. People can now or soon go straight from car to artic.

A person can become an artic driving in weeks. Compare that to say an electrician or other actual skilled professionals.

I seem to remember when i did my theory and cpc stuff bridge heights and heights of the lorry was covered. I did it in my training as well as we were expected to read the road signs in advance and would be given instructions like take the first available exit or take the next available left.

However, i think in the real world it is possible to get yourself into a situation when out making drops. How many times have people had a drop that had a height restriction on it in 1 mile or what ever and the delivery adress isnt marked on the map so your not sure if its before or after the bridge

cooper1203:
I seem to remember when i did my theory and cpc stuff bridge heights and heights of the lorry was covered. I did it in my training as well as we were expected to read the road signs in advance and would be given instructions like take the first available exit or take the next available left.

However, i think in the real world it is possible to get yourself into a situation when out making drops. How many times have people had a drop that had a height restriction on it in 1 mile or what ever and the delivery adress isnt marked on the map so your not sure if its before or after the bridge

So what’s the thing to do then? Just hammer on forwards and go for it? Of course not.

We’ve all been in situations where there’s some form of restriction whether it be height, weight or whatever. It’s how you deal with it that is what matters.

toonsy:

cooper1203:

So what’s the thing to do then? Just hammer on forwards and go for it? Of course not.

We’ve all been in situations where there’s some form of restriction whether it be height, weight or whatever. It’s how you deal with it that is what matters.

thats what i was getting at maybe poorly.

At the risk of lighting the blue touch paper…
Bridge strikes are by far one of the more important topics that any half-decent safe-driving DCPC should cover.

But all TMs should have a bridge strike avoidance policy, and provide training to their drivers, either theirself or farmed it out to a TP.
Because if one of their drivers hits a bridge, the TM will be going to a PI, and the driver will be going with them for a Driver Conduct Hearing.
The TM will be grilled about what they have in place to prevent this happening, and the driver will be (separately) grilled about why it happened in the first place.

It won’t be a grand day out for either of them

Professional…

engaged in a specified activity as one’s main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

“E.g a professional boxer”

Being paid for your main job doesnt make you good at it, but youd like to hope that one was…

What makes an one of us as an HGV driver a Professional, other than being paid? We have conducted familiarisation to operate a different vehicle and passed a test/exam for the privelidge to do so. However as we know, being taught to pass a driving test does not make you a good driver nor does it make us a professional driver by right.

HGV drivings standards are terrible across the board, some of us are no better than some car drivers yet so many of us rattle on about being Professional, some of the poor driving i see on the roads will kill ourselves and others far easier than some of the idiotic things I see some car drivers do.

There are drivers where I work who will blindly follow the satnav and not even conside pre planning their route for considerations of stopping or bridges etc and ive been sat mentoring when something nearly went pearshaped, driver was blind to the potential consequences of what maybhave happened and if id have not told him he would have commited an extremely dangerous and potentially lethal manouvre!

Others ive mentored who are new drivers need constant reminding to do simple mirror checks, especially nearside.

Oh wait 4.2 Metres is less than 14 feet.14 feet = more than 4.3 metres.
So exactly how high is the bridge.

Carryfast:

This has been explained previously, and somebody with your Google skills should be able to find the answer easily.

Carryfast:

Defo not 16ft…

Carryfast:

:laughing: Rounding-up or rounding-down, wherever you’re located it’s taught at a school near you.
To satisfy your hair-splitting, if a 14 foot bridge were to be accurately labelled in metric it would have to say 4.2672 metres

Zac_A:

Carryfast:

:laughing: Rounding-up or rounding-down, wherever you’re located it’s taught at a school near you.
To satisfy your hair-splitting, if a 14 foot bridge were to be accurately labelled in metric it would have to say 4.2672 metres

Yeah, but only if it is 14` exactly.

What if it is really 13 10"? Or 13 9 and 7/8"?
What if it`s a hot day and the pillars supporting the bridge have expanded by 3 thou?
What if the wind is blowing, and if the bridge is horizontally asymmetrical the lift, be it positive or negative, will affect the gravitational bow in the deck?

You`ll never win with C-F ! :smiley:

Don’t bother, currywürst knows very well why these signs are like that.

the nodding donkey:

Carryfast:

This has been explained previously, and somebody with your Google skills should be able to find the answer easily.

Even Google ain’t going to make 4.2 metres into 14 feet of clearance without a wrecking ball and an angle grinder.If it’s 4.2 metres clearance then it’s lower than 14 feet of clearance bearing in mind imperial heights are to the inch and what we generally go by.
4.2 metres is 13 feet and whatever inches but 14 feet it ain’t…

Zac_A:

Carryfast:

14 feet is actually over 4.3 metres.
Good luck with rounding up a less than 14 foot high bridge to 14 feet.

the old timer:
Surprised A5 AT Hinckley not there

Just what I was going to say.

Carryfast:

Is it? Maybe you need a new battery in your casio calculator :laughing:
Here’s two online calculator websites that say differently, as well as the formula to calculate it yourself
To convert feet to meters, multiply the unit by 0.3048.
Therefore 14 x 0.3048 = 4.2672

It seems to be a global problem!

This one is particularly concerning. The driver did time for his effort.

Zac_A:

Carryfast:

Is it? Maybe you need a new battery in your casio calculator :laughing:
Here’s two online calculator websites that say differently, as well as the formula to calculate it yourself
To convert feet to meters, multiply the unit by 0.3048.
Therefore 14 x 0.3048 = 4.2672

As opposed to good old fashioned 1 metre = 39 inches.
Either way14 feet is still higher than 4.2 metres the marked heights don’t match.
The imperial signage should be rounded down to around 13’9’’ to match the metric signage ?.Which might have been enough to avoid the collision.