Ancient brits heading east!

vwvanman0:

Different view of an old “middle east” trailer, off fb

Steve.

N & A James from Nantgaredig near Carmarthen did a lot of Middle East work years ago still trading in Crane hire and heavy haulage

R.jpg

All those friggin’ day cabs! It is arguable that in the late '60s we could have been sending down left-hand drive AEC Super Mandators with Bollekens sleeper cabs at 192bhp and decent TET 6-sp constant-mesh 'boxes; connected to the 10m tilts of the day. But no. We exported those to Belgium (who provided the sleeper cabs) because the unions didn’t like sleeper cabs. We could also have been sending down LHD Atkinson CLTs with their Krupp sleeper cabs. They didn’t stand a chance and withered on the vine in infancy. By the time the likes of ERF were producing the NGC European in '73, which was a good match for the Scanny 140, we were already too late for the party. Food for thought, chaps!

Vanneste.jpg
BA0010.JPG

Ancient Brits heading east.jpg

ERF having a rest part way across H4.
NMP.

Birdie4x4:

ERF having a rest part way across H4.
NMP.

Great pic! It’s surprising how many LV-cabbed ERFs made it down to the Middle-East and back. :sunglasses:

Was sent a couple more pics of Ancient Brits heading east. I understand they’re on a M/E Facebook thread.

First one is another shot of the LV-cabbed ERF on the M/E run. In this pic, it’s got it’s grille on and we can now see that it’s an A-series:

anncient brits2.jpg

This pic shows some hidden gems! I spy with my little eye an Olins Overland Crusader from London. I think they ran 15 Scammells on that work. Then peeping behind the Merc NG on the train is one of OHS’s LHD Sed-Atki 400s with the ■■■■■■■ NTC 335 in. Behind that appears to be an OHS Mack. I love picture like this!

Merry Xmas one and all!

Ro

FB_IMG_1640874807042.jpg

NMP taken from another site.

This youtube album shows day-cabbed BRS Crusaders going down there with the BRS Marathons.

youtube.com/watch?v=u89JDBaj_Zc

I take my hat of to anyone that did Middle East in a day cab, according to comments the roof rack broke through the cab roof at one point!!

Birdie4x4:
I take my hat of to anyone that did Middle East in a day cab, according to comments the roof rack broke through the cab roof at one point!!

It’s a strange phenomenon that day-cab thing. I can relate to drivers taking down old Scammells, Bedfords, AECs, ERFs, Guys, Atkinsons, Fodens and Leylands - often underpowered and with primitive 'boxes - as I’d have done the same myself; but living in a day cab is a bridge too far. I once did Tours in France with a day-cabbed Bedford TL artic and vowed I’d never leave these shores again without a sleeper. I stuck to that vow.

OK chaps, so what’s going on here? This AEC is on the Middle-East run. Interesting home-made high sleeper cab. Any idea who ran it?

AEC MiddleEast1_n.jpg

mandator-v8-BL-PUB-600x393.jpg

From the internet, looks like the same kind of roof, v8 mandator, the one on your photo has the mandator badge in the same place as a v8 but I’m guessing lots of drivers did that?

aec_mandator_81.jpg

Also this similar v8 looks to have made it to the continent.

Steve

ERF-NGC-European:
OK chaps, so what on earth is going on here? This AEC is on the Middle-East run. Interesting home-made high sleeper cab. Any idea who ran it?

Probably no help whatsoever but I’ll throw it out there anyway :smiley:

Back in the mid to late seventies there was a guy based in my home village who did the Middle East, Don Mottram. I know he finished because of a really bad accident - he broke his neck, survived thankfully and I believe is still above ground but my info is a couple of years old.

He had an L reg 110 Scania, an M reg 232 Maggie and 2 Transcontinentals, P and S reg - all bought new. His colours were dark green. I don’t remember his name being on the lorries but he did have his name on his own tilts but also hired tilts in when required…

The last lorry he bought was a G reg second-hand AEC V8 with a sleeper cab. It was definitely green, no signwriting but I don’t remember any white stripes on it. I’ve never seen any pictures of it nor any of Don’s other lorries but he wasn’t about for very long so not surprising really…

Like I say, just throwing it out there…

I hope this helps Piston Broke, copied from page 11 of this thread.

madmot:

chazzer:
I remember Don Mottram he was a friend of a mate of mine Malcolm Maynard, I met him a couple of times, nice guy but I think he ran into money problems doing M/E.

WELL AS ONE OF HIS SONS , I CAN TELL YOU , HE HAD A CRASH IN IRAN AND HAD A BROKEN NECK , SO AFTER A HARD BATTLE HE GOT BACK ON HIS FEET SOLD UP AND ENDING UP BUYING A BIG HOTEL , SO NO MONEY PROBLEMS… . THANKS.

^^^ I think these pics answer my original question!

2j1ann9.jpg
5897923234_b0dfaaf823_z.jpg
AEC%20001.jpg
RS31Tehrantradefairc1970RayScutts.jpg

vwvanman0:

Also this similar v8 looks to have made it to the continent.

Steve

Thanks! Yes, that pic has just jogged my memory (see post above this one)!

Is that Ray Scutts?

Screenshot 2022-03-12 at 08.15.23.png