An original Friderici K100 under restoration

Thanks for you sentiment Anorak… If you are going to use a media blaster of any kind try to do so in a confined area, as that stuff gets all over the place. Use it on a cement floor if possible, and when you have ran out of media, just sweep it up along with all the dust and rust particles and bung it in the pot again. As long as it stays dry you can keep going and use it over and over until it’s just powder, and not really doing anything.

When I was in Britain I used to use stuff called J blast which I got in 25kg bags from the local auto paint shop. There used to be a big catalogue company I think it was Tool Market, they used a lot of red in their advertising, they sold sand blasters and j blast as well. 2 bags of that stuff used a few times was enough to do a 6 leg tipper chassis. A sand blaster is just a blaster, you can put anything in it, rough sand will move stuff quicker than coco or almond husks, but nut husks will be kinder than sand.
If you really want to get into it then get a water blaster, the sand still does the abrasive bit, but the water contains the media from spraying about.

Most of the early KW"s that Friderici had were flat top k 100’s, only later on did they have a few Aerodynes and most of them were on Heavy Haulage. Like you En- Tour-Age I don’t know why they would order a KW with a Cat or Detriot, perhaps they didn’t have the experience and hind sight we now have. I find the Cat to have a very limited useful rev range, and exhaust brake is not much more than an annoying noise. The Detroit is low on torque compared to the other offerings at the time. Perhaps the sales team was a bit persuasive, and needed to make sales in certain areas…I wasn’t there at the time so I can’t really comment…

One thing I would like to add is that a Kenworth is set up to pull American trailers which have the pin set at about 4 and a bit feet from the front of the trailer. Australian trailers are set the same way, and the rear bogies are nearly at the rear of the trailer which puts the weight very central in the vehicle with no see sawing at all. The ride on this kind of set up isn’t really that rough and the engineers at the factory have the set up fairly spot on for the application it was designed for.

If you hook up a Kenworth to a European trailer with a deep pin and more central bogie location then this throws the whole dynamic right out the window, and the whole thing goes down the road like a pork chop ( that’s Australian for not behaving very well ) I’ve also notice that if you stick a European tractor under a rear bogie Australian trailer than it also handles like a bag of crap.

If you have a look at the trailers that Friderici had ie the step frame tilts , they were very close to an American trailer for pin a bogie set up. Pin all the way at the front and bogie close to the rear.

Don’t put an American truck under a European trailer than tell me it’s rubbish, because it wasn’t designed for that operation, it would be like telling me that even though you marinated the chair leg in mango and soy overnight, it still was rather tough and didn’t have the flavour of that nice duck you had the night before…

Jeff…

Where does everyone keep getting the idea of torqueless Detroits from.Even by the info above you’ll see that even the much smaller capacity 6V92 is putting out not far short of the 14 litre ■■■■■■■ at 100 less rpm.Trust me adding another two cylinders really does add to those torque figures pro rata.IE around 1,700 nm v the ■■■■■■■■ 1447 and that is still with 2 litres less capacity and a shorter stroke engine.Friderici knew exactly what they were doing in that regard although why anyone would want to use the V6 instead of the V8 for serious work is anyone’s guess.

Carryfast:
Where does everyone keep getting the idea of torqueless Detroits from.Even by the info above you’ll see that even the much smaller capacity 6V92 is putting out not far short of the 14 litre ■■■■■■■ at 100 less rpm.Trust me adding another two cylinders really does add to those torque figures pro rata.IE around 1,700 nm v the ■■■■■■■■ 1447 and that is still with 2 litres less capacity and a shorter stroke engine.Friderici knew exactly what they were doing in that regard although why anyone would want to use the V6 instead of the V8 for serious work is anyone’s guess.

Perhaps the sale people had a better deal to offer on the 2 stroke V 6 Detroit, or for various reasons they may have had to shift more of them.

I’ve driven trucks with Detroit, Cat, and ■■■■■■■■ If I had a choice which one I was going to take out as an every day driver, ■■■■■■■ would be at the top of the list each time…

Of course this is just my own opinion and would not like to impose it on any one else.

Just because it looks good on paper it doesn’t mean it’s going to perform as such in the real world… Dad and I ran an 18 50 Merc in the late 80’s, on paper it should have been a flyer, but it wasn’t. Aberdeen to Alicante it was only about 20 minutes faster than an F12…

However the breathed on 480 I had in my old Turbo Star would was the real deal…

Jeff…

Saviem:

Thank you for all your insights, Saviem. I’m hoping to get my hands on some more of Pat Kennett’s Euro Tests, all of which I read first time round. Cheers! Robert :slight_smile:

Evening all, this KW aerodyne thing has got right on top of my little grey cells. It kept buzzing round my brain as I was rolling up and down power harrowing the fertile acres today…all sorts of thoughts…

.Anorak, you asked about the set back front axle, (and Jeff has given a very pertinent explanation of the typical US tractor trailer set up). Deep in the dark recesses of my mind I seem to recall that some “European” KWs were supplied with a front axle centre line 1150mm set back from the front bumper position. To compare this with the Mack “European”, as supplied by MABO,(FM786T, 4x2, ETAB676B 11 litre, 306bhp, approx. 1150 lb ft torque), this vehicle had a front axle centre line at 1283mm from the front bumper.

I always thought she looked odd, in profile, but the front axle was rated at 5987kgs, the single drive rear at 10400kgs, with a gtw of 38000kgs,…(En Tour Age, is my recall correct)? Ive a feeling that some to this spec must have been handled by Rick Robertson, and Tony Babola at CTS Leasing in Bolton UK. Perhaps it improved the ride with short pin UK trailers, but I have no personal experience of it. Does anyone on here■■?

I wrote earlier of the Dallas KW parts operation, but as I moved around the US I found that it was not unique. The distributor for KW, in “sober” Conneticut, Milford Truck Sales, had an equally mesmerising “supermarket” type parts operation, and a surprisingly “exotic” range of stock chassis, including the W900 version of the Aerodyne living pod.

And talking of living pods, we here converted a rather “rumpy” Aerodyne import to have a walk in shower, wc, and kitchen pack, inside the Aerodyne cab…and the fun that we had trying to grt the toilet not to let go of its contents when the cab was tilted…but we did succeed…eventually…but the trials were frought with danger!!!

Happy memories

Perhaps a Bollinger will cool my ardour!

Cheerio for now.

Jelliot:

Thanks for the information about blasters- I thnk I’ll get one, at some stage.

Regarding the axle positions of the Friderici KWs, most of the ones Robert put on page 1 seem to have the axle set back by less than 1ft. The one photographed from the rear seems like a normal US type. That batch of photos shows European-style trailers, IE axles forward, short wheelbase, both step frame and straight frame tilts. They look as if there should be more weight over the rear of the tractor,to take advantage of the two drive axles. What do I know? The things used to go back and forth to Asia every day!

Saviem:
And talking of living pods, we here converted a rather “rumpy” Aerodyne import to have a walk in shower, wc, and kitchen pack, inside the Aerodyne cab…and the fun that we had trying to grt the toilet not to let go of its contents when the cab was tilted…but we did succeed…eventually…but the trials were frought with danger!!!

Happy memories

Perhaps a Bollinger will cool my ardour!

Cheerio for now.

How did Le Centaure deal with the tilting toilet problem?

An example for many fleet-owners to think/act lean with ‘fixed’ parking-locations, neat house-style etc!!!

This company should rank high together with Vervaeke of Belgium and Arcese of Italy w.r.t. structure

I do agree! Indeed concerning Vervaeke, one of the earliest (together with Peeters and Fockedey)
in hazardous materials transport like acid etc.

Here a cover of the Friderici-brochure around 1996 …with quite some expansion. Directors at
that time were Paul, Jean-Paul and André Friderici

Good input Alexander! I remember Friderici as a very reliable partner, long before supply-chain even was evented or known.

They were/are very strong in transport, national/international and intercontinental, cranes, as well as containers/tippers!!!

Did quite some business on the glass/bottles with them and they acted 99,98% as ‘other’ companies managed 95% in Verlipack

Established in 1890 by Charles-Emile in Morges (Vaud, very close to Lac Leman) and in 1926 their
first motor (petrol) came, a Swiss Saurer AC, later a Chevrolet and some Saurer’s ADD came in.

Also Henschel and until 15th october 1975 (after a trip from Paul to the USA) Kenworth gained an
order for the first 15 K100’s! It was ‘merely’ love on first sight and emotional attraction to the truck.

Some pictures…Robert will like the first M/E-years…

friderici-orient-proche.jpg

CH-Henschel.jpg

Histoire-CH-231.jpg

You are right there! How about some French art-work from the wonderful Monsieur ‘Graphite Garage’ of France Routes magazine? All Friderici Kenworths! Robert :slight_smile:

En-Tour-Age:
Some pictures…Robert will like the first M/E-years…

Amazing that first picture, En-Tour-Age. Many thanks.
Those premises are still theirs today. Back then (1975-ish?) surrounded by farmland, today they are in the middle of a heavily-developed urban area and under growing pressure by the municipality to relocate elsewhere to make way for housing. Other tenants around them have already been told to shut down so the writing is on the wall. On the other hand they are a significant local employer and the Swiss (thankfully) tend to have recognition for firms like Friderici who have contributed so significantly to the local communities over the years. So no obvious answer to the question as to where they will be over 5 or 10 years.
Plus they have just taken on the Regional Renault Trucks agency…

ERF-Continental:
Good input Alexander! I remember Friderici as a very reliable partner, long before supply-chain even was evented or known.

They were/are very strong in transport, national/international and intercontinental, cranes, as well as containers/tippers!!!

Did quite some business on the glass/bottles with them and they acted 99,98% as ‘other’ companies managed 95% in Verlipack

They hardly do any “normal” haulage these days.
I think they took a significant turn in their business model in the very early 2000s, moving away from general haulage and rebranding themselves as Friderici Spécial.
Since then they have been involved mostly in overweight/oversized, seem to be doing very well and are highly reputed amongst the driver community over here.

If it’s any measure of their reputation and attractiveness as a provider of complex transport solutions, they have managed to weather he currency storm quite well: in the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis, when the Eurozone started sinking into the economic disaster, the Swiss Franc appreciated dramatically, reaching parity to the Euro for a short while!
If you are a Swiss-based exporter Company with your cost base mostly in Swiss Francs and much of your income in a fast-depreciating Euro then your competitiveness melts like snow under the sun.
Despite these adverse conditions Friderici managed to retain much business into e.g. France and Germany, for instance they recently shipped hydro-electric equipment into the Aveyron Department, in South-Western France.
Says a lot about their solidity in my view. I am in Belgium almost every week this week, I have not seen any Planzer / Galliker / Swiss-reg Bertschi AG lorries for years, but you do see the odd grey and yellow from time to time.

[zb]
anorak:

Jelliot:

Ah but it did not…Thetford “Porta Potti”…but I did…and with a proper China WC, and shower…simples… if you put good practical thought into the job…in fact Ive designed "proper " sanitary arrangements for all types of vehicles, and never any complaints!!

Hate, and always hated “roughing it”, really never any need!

Cheerio for now.

Saviem:

[zb]
anorak:

Jelliot:

Ah but it did not…Thetford “Porta Potti”…but I did…and with a proper China WC, and shower…simples… if you put good practical thought into the job…in fact Ive designed "proper " sanitary arrangements for all types of vehicles, and never any complaints!!

Cheerio for now.

I had to Google that. I understand now- the lid seals it, somehow, so the cab tilting would not cause a problem. However, your work produced a working lorry-loo using standard household bathroom fittings, which is a higher achievement. I am duly impressed.

This reminds me of that Not the Nine O’Clock News sketch, in which the finest Japanese engineering was combined with British plumbing, to create a motorbike which did not need petrol.

[zb]
anorak:

Saviem:

[zb]
anorak:

Jelliot:

Cheerio for now.

I had to Google that. I understand now- the lid seals it, somehow, so the cab tilting would not cause a problem. However, your work produced a working lorry-loo using standard household bathroom fittings, which is a higher achievement. I am duly impressed.

This reminds me of that Not the Nine O’Clock News sketch, in which the finest Japanese engineering was combined with British plumbing, to create a motorbike which did not need petrol.

Only the ‘splash-point’ sealed, not the lid; so your last elimination / evacuation would remain above the ‘lid’ if you were silly enough not to flush it. The everlasting battle twixt drivers and fitters has never been about the nicities of engine-tuning, but rather about the barrage of stray wine bottles stowed behind bunks that have crashed through windscreens upon cab-tilt; sewage bestowed upon innocent mechanics by unflushed Porta Pottis; sleeping immigrants flung upon unsuspecting spanner-men. Yeah, give me a placcy bag any day!! Robert :laughing:

First motor with Friderici was a Saurer (petrol-engine and chain-driven) and the first 15! Kenworth’s
had 435hp Detroit Diesels and Fuller 15-speed.

friderici#100.jpg

One of the last series I think…also short before crane-business was abandonned

Friderici#98.jpg