Ammonium Nitrate (Beirut)

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Complicating matters is that U.S. President Donald Trump quickly asserted that the explosion was the result of an attack.

“Well it would seem like it based on the explosion," Trump said at a press briefing Tuesday. “I met with some of our great generals and they seemed to feel that it was. This was not some kind of a manufacturing explosion type of event. This was a, seems to be, according to them, they would know better than I would, but they seem to think it was an attack. It was a bomb of some kind.”

Why don’t Israel target this chump with a drone?

The area in question is a Christian area.It’s not rocket science to put 2 + 2 together.It did say the Generals are thinking along those lines not just Trump.The President listening to the advice of his defence chiefs who would have thought it. :unamused:

My 3 year old great niece speaks more joined up language than this chump Trump

Wheel Nut:

Carryfast:
The area in question is a Christian area.It’s not rocket science to put 2 + 2 together.It did say the Generals are thinking along those lines not just Trump.The President listening to the advice of his defence chiefs who would have thought it. :unamused:

My 3 year old great niece speaks more joined up language than this chump Trump

Morden has a bigger Mosque than that one.

Edgeware also has a Mosque you know where the Edgeware bombing happened Camden has three Mosques you know where the Tavistock bomb went off.

We’re still supposedly a Christian part of Europe we ain’t Bosnia.Yet.

Biden probably will win be careful what you wish for.

Franglais:

Carryfast:
The President listening to the advice of his defence chiefs who would have thought it. :unamused:

Absolutely not so.
Trump started saying it was a bomb. He later said, nobody knows. He said his generals thought it was a bomb.
None of his generals are on record as saying any such.
abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireSto … d-72190863
Trump just saying stuff without any recourse to expert advice, “who would have thought it”? :unamused:

Not exactly the same thing as saying that all of ‘his generals’ have denied it.
‘Officials’ yeah right probably all on message with Biden.Officials doesn’t translate as Generals.
No doubt their version will be warehouse operative with cognotive issues mistakenly stacks a tones and tonnes of Amonium Nitrate with a few tonnes of diesel/fireworks or whatever.Source of ignition unknown.
Absolutely no evidence of any factional terrosist links.
A mosque in a Christian area obviously meaning that it isn’t a Christian area confirms it.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
You made pipe bombs in school? Was this ‘school’ a terrorist training camp in the desert?

No just an early 1970’s Greater London Comprehensive.I guess they couldn’t make Please Sir more realistic in that regard because of the political climate in the day.We also did lesser activeties like nicking the bulbs from RT buses and finding they fitted in mains bulb holders to almost similar effect when the lights were switched on. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Likely story. I’ve informed the authorities that I believe you to be Abu Hamza. He is obsessed with wobbly drawbars too apparently. I believe it’s your double in prison in the US, Abu Carry

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
You made pipe bombs in school? Was this ‘school’ a terrorist training camp in the desert?

No just an early 1970’s Greater London Comprehensive.I guess they couldn’t make Please Sir more realistic in that regard because of the political climate in the day.We also did lesser activeties like nicking the bulbs from RT buses and finding they fitted in mains bulb holders to almost similar effect when the lights were switched on. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Likely story. I’ve informed the authorities that I believe you to be Abu Hamza. He is obsessed with wobbly drawbars too apparently. I believe it’s your double in prison in the US, Abu Carry

Blimey next you’re going to try to fit me up with the Beirut explosion on the basis of circumstancial evidence that I delivered around 800 tonnes of Amonium Nitrate and more than a few jerry cans full of diesel to that warehouse, all hand ball, with a drawbar outfit and rigged it all to go up in a few shifts.All based on my previous form during my mispent schooldays.But got the address of the warehouse wrong so blew up the wrong side. :smiling_imp:

^^

24Volt BC (Bayonet Cap) bus bulbs are still available although the pearl 50mm globe ones used for so many years for interior lighting are becoming more difficult to source.

cav551:
^^

24Volt BC (Bayonet Cap) bus bulbs are still available although the pearl 50mm globe ones used for so many years for interior lighting are becoming more difficult to source.

From memory they certainly seemed to have an aversion and didn’t react well to mains electric being put through them for some reason. :smiling_imp: :wink:

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Blimey next you’re going to try to fit me up with the Beirut explosion on the basis of circumstancial evidence that I delivered around 800 tonnes of Amonium Nitrate and more than a few jerry cans full of diesel to that warehouse, all hand ball, with a drawbar outfit and rigged it all to go up in a few shifts.All based on my previous form during my mispent schooldays.But got the address of the warehouse wrong so blew up the wrong side. :smiling_imp:

Inshallah

According to the properties, pure Ammonium Nitrate will decompose at 210c but the reaction stops the moment the heat source is removed.

If a catalyst in the form of finely divided is present though - the reaction is self-sustaining, and a explosive reaction is the usual result.
Leave poor-integrity sacks of this substance lying around in a warehouse for months on end, surely would have it literally “gathering dust”…?

Since DUST can be the explosive catalyst, then persons need to be brought to justice for storing this substance LONG TERM near a major populated area.

Ammonium nitrate has a molecular weight of 80. This is N (14) 4xH (4) N (14) and 3xO (48)

This means that 80 grams of NH4NO3 create one mole of each of the reaction products, which are ALL GASES.

The usual reaction that takes place above 300c is 2NH4NO3 → 2N2 + 4H2O + O2.

However, a lower-temperature decomposition reaction (possible in the prescence of a catalyst)
can cause 2NH4NO3 :arrow_right: 2NO2 + N2 +O2 + 2H2O which is brown nitrogen dioxide gas and steam, evident in the rather large mushroom cloud seen during the Beirut explosion.

NO2 is an Oxidant, highly toxic, and highly acidic to boot. The gas would have supplied yet more Oxygen to any unreacted flammable aspects in the cloud, releasing even more energy.
The initial “crackling fire” may have been the Ammonium Nitrate burning in the safer, higher temperature way, with the excess energy escaping into the air.
However, a backdraft event passing the reaction products to the unreacted sacks of excess ammonium nitrate stored seperately, likely covered in dust, and compacted together by their own weight - would have produced a detonation, leaving all kinds of mixed up reactant products, with the characteristic HUGE release of energy that goes with it.

Combine this with the fact that N2 4H2O (as superheated steam) plus O2 occupies six times as much space (rather than three times as per the basic reaction) as a single mole of a gas, coupled with it now being nowhere near “room temperature and pressure” because of the initial detonating explosion.

One mole of a gas - occupies 24 litres of space… Since 80 grams of reactant become six moles of gas, we’re talking 144 litres of space instantaneously trying to occupy the space that only the 80g of starting product occupied, hence the enourmous explosion, with the resulting cloud being full of “half-reacted” products, especially un-reacted NO2.

Many more lives would have been lost - had this poison gas cloud come down as “fallout” across the populated land, rather than moved out to sea.
“Bhopal India” - springs to mind where between 4000 and 20000 deaths were caused by the poison gas cloud (Methyl isocyanate in this case) alone. :frowning:

It is also rather alarming that NO2 happens to greatly reduce one’s natural resistance to COVID-19 as well, if you will “Instant Pre-Existing Condition” if you happen to breath this noxious gas, which is already know to also cause things like Pumonary Edema, a very nasty respiatory ailment likely to completely ruin one’s life in itself.

Humanity should be avoiding NO2 as much as it supposedly avoids Covid-19 in my mind.

If you can actually SEE the brown gas - DO NOT INHALE is the simple advice.

I am also alarmed to have found that previously reputable Chemistry sites on the web have tried to “downplay” this ability of Ammonium Nitrate to decompose passing through a Nitrogen Dixide stage, as if “That cannot happen”.

Well, the proof was there for the whole world to see… The only other “Brown Gas” I’ve ever heard of is Bromine Vapour, which one most definitely will NOT get out of NH4NO3 under ANY circumstances.

jonny12:

Carryfast:

Euro:
Is ammonium nitrate (on its own) explosive (Beirut)?

I do know that when were making pipe bombs at school, just for fun not terrorism or attacking any neighbouring country :laughing: the weed killer/fertilizer component was the oxidiser the sugar was the fuel both were harmless on their own.
Our system of ignition was surprisingly sophisticated the most complicated bit being stripping the glass from a small model type bulb while leaving the element intact.That was the fuse when connected to a battery. :wink: :open_mouth:

Compression is the next important bit.
I’d guess stacked 1 t pallet loads of the stuff suitably interspersed with a fuel source and source of ignition would make a biggish bang.

Yes, you’re right ammonium nitrate as weed killer is safe and harmless because due to the friction and impact found in normal handling, but it can be detonated under heat and confinement or severe shock. But in the temperature of 260 to 300, it can be explosive.
12 Best Weed Killers for Lawns Reviewed (Winter 2024)

To the best of my knowledge sodium chlorate weedkiller for commercial sale was restricted by law to a lower percentage of NaCl03 than formerly and also had additives to reduce its potential for use in explosive mixtures. In the 1960s it certainly worked mixed with sugar but will not now.
Ammonium nitrate is NOT a weedkiller, it is used as a fertiliser, but has often been used in improvised bombs by terrorists.

Ammonium nitrate can certainly wreck one’s day.

abc.net.au/news/2014-09-06/ … rt/5724512

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Taroom_explosion

Star down under.:
Amyl nitrate can certainly wreck one’s day.

Amyl nitrate is an additive to diesel fuel as an ignition improver, nothing to do with ammonium nitrate (or amyl nitrite, which is also known as ‘poppers’ and ‘liquid gold’ and inhaled for recreational purposes).

Buckstones:

Star down under.:

Amyl nitrate is an additive to diesel fuel as an ignition improver, nothing to do with ammonium nitrate (or amyl nitrite, which is also known as ‘poppers’ and ‘liquid gold’ and inhaled for recreational purposes).

Edited, I don’t know if I typed amyl or autocorrect put it in. I used the correct term to search for the articles.

Star down under.:

Buckstones:

Star down under.:

Edited, I don’t know if I typed amyl or autocorrect put it in. I used the correct term to search for the articles.

I’ve been a victim of autocorrect myself, especially when texting in a rush. Another pitfall is sending a text to the wrong person, can be a real embarrassment if wife/girlfriend receive the wrong message.