All wheel drive artic tippers

Frankydobo:
It wasn’t the AWD system the vehicles the original poster was asking about, they were Scammell Units with Tippers, a place at Peterlee just off the A19 used to make them, I’m sure there was an article in Truck about them too. I often passed the works going up and down the A19 in the early 90’s. I believe they used a hydraulic drive system to transmit traction to the trailer wheels and the trailer stayed coupled to the unit. Whether they made many sales I don’t know they may have sold for export. Franky.

Hi Franky, DJB ENGINEERING LIMITED 1973-To Date Peterlee, County Durham, England… mentioned in the first paragraph of the link I gave, more here tractors.wikia.com/wiki/DJB.
Cheers
Oily

Just found this viewtopic.php?t=68352&p=860669
Oily

oiltreader:

Frankydobo:
It wasn’t the AWD system the vehicles the original poster was asking about, they were Scammell Units with Tippers, a place at Peterlee just off the A19 used to make them, I’m sure there was an article in Truck about them too. I often passed the works going up and down the A19 in the early 90’s. I believe they used a hydraulic drive system to transmit traction to the trailer wheels and the trailer stayed coupled to the unit. Whether they made many sales I don’t know they may have sold for export. Franky.

Hi Franky, DJB ENGINEERING LIMITED 1973-To Date Peterlee, County Durham, England… mentioned in the first paragraph of the link I gave, more here tractors.wikia.com/wiki/DJB.
Cheers
Oily

I notice there’s not a word in that link about the existence of any type of motive unit apart from Caterpillar. But then, it is a Wiki (believe it if you like!) site! :unamused: :wink:

Most of the articulated tippers here in Portugal are all wheel drive,and mainly Scania,with a smaller proportion of Volvo’s.

David

i have hidden away somewhere,some camcorder footage of at least one T45 cabbed all wheel drive tipper at work near Cannock, close to what was then a new Sainsbury store.

Can anyone remember Leyland cabbed Scammel artic tippers, that used to have a propshaft from the tractor unit to the trailer wheels? Im sure I remember seeing these as a kid, I think the company they belonged to was Bernard Kettles or something like that. Has anyone got any pictures of them?

It will be the AWD Multidrive system you remember. Owned by David Brown and used by the military for a while.

roadtransport.com/blogs/big- … rd-tm.html

I did have a demo video of one of these trucks it was a scammell s26 as you say with the leyland roadtrain style cab i will have a look in my mums loft to see if its still there.
I think i saw a video or dvd of one of these working in truck and driver from a company that sells truck books etc

I’m sure there was a Roadtrian version of the Multidrive too.

I remember an owner driver called Don Bush having a Scammell Multidrive, very smart, had a bit of air brush paintwork on the cab. He was on a video called top tipper trio i think. Another i remember was an ERF E10-325 tha was owned by Fewstone Quarrys, and i think it was in Trucking International in the late 90s when owned by another operator whos name escapes me.
There was a few SedAtki Stratos on open-cast work as well i think, these might still be operating, im not sure.

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
I remember an owner driver called Don Bush having a Scammell Multidrive, very smart, had a bit of air brush paintwork on the cab. He was on a video called top tipper trio i think. Another i remember was an ERF E10-325 tha was owned by Fewstone Quarrys, and i think it was in Trucking International in the late 90s when owned by another operator whos name escapes me.
There was a few SedAtki Stratos on open-cast work as well i think, these might still be operating, im not sure.

it was fenstone who had the erf one but they did’nt keep it long it was nothing but trouble if i remember rightly.

Sorry, FENSTONE! istand corrected! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I remember the Kettles AWD Multidrives from when we were running to the new A50 from Mere to the D road with scalpings etc, we would be sat waiting for a pull out of the s**t but they would fly past with no problems. I don’t know what the reliability aspect was though and they seem to have died a death.

Pete.

Peter Bennie from Northampton had a T45 cab version and I think may have had an Volvo FL10 version for a little while as well.

GCE Hire Fleet from Peterborough had at least one T45 version as well.

An owner driver for Tarmac also had an AWD version with the ex-Bedford TL cab. There are some pics of that one in the Tarmac Tippers thread in the pic area.

Found this old girl

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Cheers Marc.