Aldi Self Tip..Great Fun!

I don’t like having to reload equipment myself on a bay using a pallet truck and emptying out a half full Aldi trailer full of wonky collapsed stacks. Those little plastic mini duss pallets do my swede in.

Mixed feelings on this, on one hand good excercise which I need, on the other I feel that maybe we are doing their job for them, and possibly being taken advantage of a bit.
The having a choice idea is a good one, but it won’t happen.
Just don’t make the mistake of putting tacho on break, as Aldi attract VOSA like flys around ■■■■ :bulb:

The thought did cross my mind that this is warehouse staff work and why they don’t need so many employees if the drivers do it. But on the whole I enjoyed the bit of exercise (well as much as you can have with a leccy pallet truck). Probably a different scenario if there was a dodgy or mixed pallet I had to split down.

But the alternative of mind numbing boredom in a waiting room (even if it has a telly with the volume so low you become a lip reading expert after a few hours) doesn’t bare thinking about.

Dipper_Dave:
I know theres been discussions on this before but yesterday was my first experience of this.

Backed on bay walked in warehouse to be greated with others drivers zooming around with their electric pallet trucks and thought this is going to be great fun.

Lady asked if I’d used one before and as its been many years asked for a quick refresher course. Two minutes later I was ready to go.

I must say its the best delivery i’ve ever done and even commented to the goods in that all companies should do this and why not have some manual pallet trucks in case anyone wants a good workout.

Beats vegitating in a waiting room anyday. Kudos to Aldi & also Lidl if they do this as well.

Too right.

Its ok if you havent driven far to get to the drop,if you have had a long slog to the place the last thing you want is to start faffing about tipping yourself,i think it all depends on how you feel on the day, :neutral_face:

seth 70:
Its ok if you havent driven far to get to the drop,if you have had a long slog to the place the last thing you want is to start faffing about tipping yourself,i think it all depends on how you feel on the day, :neutral_face:

Tha can’t beat taking a 26 pallet load to Argos Heywood if tha knackered Seth. A lovely 3-5 hours kip on the bunk awaits :smiley:
For all you non Yorkies replace the “tha” with a “You” :grimacing:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

seth 70:

Tha can’t beat taking a 26 pallet load to Argos Heywood if tha knackered Seth. A lovely 3-5 hours kip on the bunk awaits :smiley:

At the minute m8 i plan me day on weer a can get me head darn,i sleep more than a cat :wink:

seth 70:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

seth 70:

At the minute m8 i plan me day on weer a can get me head darn,i sleep more than a cat :wink:

I could sleep through a war and not notice sometimes :smiley:

If they wanted me to tip the load, they pay me … Other wise I take my load back …

49er:
If they wanted me to tip the load, they pay me … Other wise I take my load back …

At last - someone with some sense!! No wonder this industry is ■■■■■■ when you’ve people prepared to do two jobs for one wage… :unamused:

To be fair that is a good point. Old hands may well say in days gone proper drivers tipped themsleves, but in a different breath we see posts on how in days gone you were paid the same in the 80s as you are now. Why should you when the Aldi warehouse guys are probably on more than £7.50/hour? Plus you’re not just tipping, you’re warehousing. It’s different, they moan when you don’t get the right line, take wrapping off etc. I’ve mixed feelings about it. It can be great and quite amusing if you’re not bushed but the principle erks me.

Aldi warehouse guys are on £8.90 an hour :wink:

In Norway it is mostly all self tip. I do not care too much, I do the work I am given. But I do however have a few thoughts about it.

A normal day for me is a 12-14 hours of driving & work, plus 1 hour of pause. This is almost the double of what the guys in the wearhouse have, and I do have ca. the same pay.

My company take the risk of unloading the pallets, so if I break them, the company have to pay. Then I like it better when the company I deliver to takes the risk, since they make more money then a small transport firm. Hah.

Also you have to load/unload at night when nobody is around. Unloading for expamle freeze in the freeze-room at -30 degrees when nobody is around is a big no-no health and safety wise.

There is one advanteage tho, it goes faster, so I can hit the road faster, and make more moeny! :smiley:

Sir LANs-a-lot:

49er:

At last - someone with some sense!! No wonder this industry is [zb] when you’ve people prepared to do two jobs for one wage… :unamused:

Theres some lazy buggers on the roads today, no wonder I get paid the big bucks :wink:
26 pallets using an electric pallet truck- whats so hard about that…

All about choice really, I choose to get stuck in if possible but will happily kip on the bunk while others unload me. As long as they don’t take the ■■■■ then I to will have to scream ‘not my job mate’ :slight_smile:

Lidl in Bridgend or Weston I don’t mind tipping myself get the job done then get on the bunk for an hour to recouperate. :smiley:
Then get your paperwork,but what boils my ■■■■ is Morrisons in Wakefield they say to you to break down the pallets for a quicker turnaround after sitting waiting for 2hrs waiting for a bay,then I turn around and tell them to go ■■■■ themselves!!! Cheeky ■■■■■■■

Sir LANs-a-lot:
‘… two jobs for one wage…’

Exactly, plus what about the inevitable day their kit is broken/dangerous/dodgy/overdue maintenance and a well meaning but a conscientious driver isn’t 100% happy to use it.

We haven’t been there (much) - have we? :unamused:

The chances are the consignee will say ‘…well no-one else has said owt…’ or summat similar whilst one’s own transport office jobsworth won’t back us up for one of many reasons - more likely dicated (managed? Huh!) by spineless half-eight til fivers.

In plain English: I’m fed up playing ball with special-needs kids to eventually have the bat shoved north by abusive shysters when the ‘extra mile’ that we all hear about and have blithely demanded of us too often also consists of continually getting pinged with an abusive reverse up a one-way street at night in icy fog with a busted mirror and a likely untrained, minimum-wage ‘banksman’ canes his ■■■■ multi-tasking whilst non-supervising foreign trainees to boot, etc until it becomes the new norm :neutral_face:

Self tip :question: Self-abuse :question: :question:

Happy Keith:

Sir LANs-a-lot:
‘… two jobs for one wage…’

Exactly, plus what about the inevitable day their kit is broken/dangerous/dodgy/overdue maintenance and a well meaning but a conscientious driver isn’t 100% happy to use it.

We haven’t been there (much) - have we? :unamused:

The chances are the consignee will say ‘…well no-one else has said owt…’ or summat similar whilst one’s own transport office jobsworth won’t back us up for one of many reasons - more likely dicated (managed? Huh!) by spineless half-eight til fivers.

In plain English: I’m fed up playing ball with special-needs kids to eventually have the bat shoved north by abusive shysters when the ‘extra mile’ that we all hear about and have blithely demanded of us too often also consists of continually getting pinged with an abusive reverse up a one-way street at night in icy fog with a busted mirror and a likely untrained, minimum-wage ‘banksman’ canes his ■■■■ multi-tasking whilst non-supervising foreign trainees to boot, etc until it becomes the new norm :neutral_face:

I blame the EU Keith :laughing:

This is the reason why the European discounters can undercut the likes of Tesco, Morrisons ect. Half the warehouse staff, and it’s the same in the stores with massive queues at the checkouts.
It’s only a matter of time before the UK supermarket RDC,s follow this example as they try to compete, and we find ourselves self tipping for all the supermarkets.

As always there is a simple solution to this: if you don’t mind self tipping then crack on, If you don’t want to self tip, for whatever reason, then simply tell your boss you don’t want to do it as it’s not your job. I’m sure you could come to some sort of agreement.
When I worked at asda years ago it a case of get the pallet to the back of the trailer then the forkie lifts it off. Over four years ago that changed to pull them all on to a scissor lift, sometimes all 26 pallets, and lower it to the ground, then get them off, then it’s the warehouse staffs responsibility. Not much difference really.

Happy Keith:

I totally agree :slight_smile: