Albion Reiver + Others

Lawrence Dunbar:

cargo:
I have to ask the question Gardner 120, how did the ERGO cabin tilt with that box structure mounted above it?
I’m guessing there was enough space but it sure looks tight.

Have closer look at it the front of the bodyit appears to be detachable IMO, Regards Larry.

Ive just had a closer look myself & it looks like its hinged just above the name, Regards Larry.

Two more, first one, a limestone quarry at Wirksworth, dunno which one…
Oily

oiltreader:
Two more, first one, a limestone quarry at Wirksworth, dunno which one…
Oily

Middleton Mine. And the Reiver is Steve Fletcher’s from Heathcote, Derbyshire, used to have a ruck of lorries in Ballidon quarry.

Pete.

cargo:
I have to ask the question Gardner 120, how did the ERGO cabin tilt with that box structure mounted above it?
I’m guessing there was enough space but it sure looks tight.

Depending on the bodybuilder and what you asked for sometimes the floor of the luton (or canopy as it was usually referred to in the livestock world) was hinged so it could lift at the front and secured in the up position with bolts that slotted into the side frame, the front of the canopy was also hinged at the top and once swung up was held in position with a purpose made bar that fitted into slots. The cab could then be fully tilted. Alright when everything was new but the canopy was used for storage and after a few bags of sawdust,a few shovels and brushes and some sheep and bovine s*** splashed about everything would seize up. When the new higher cabs started to appear either no canopy was added or it was very short so it sat just behind the cab as in the picture of the Freighter I have added. Hope that explains Tyneside

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Larry seen plenty of those quotes from Old Ted Cawthorne. 1959 was probably before young Tony Cawthorne’s time. cheers Tyneside

Having a look back through threads I’ve posted to before and surprised the Reiver hasn’t featured for a while.
Oily

Albion 1955 ..Albion Reiver Ronnie 5157636292_1e98bfb492_rcc o.jpg

1962, working for Fred Chappell on the coal job, I managed to break a half shaft (reduction hubs) on one of those Reivers, I wasn’t 'abusing ’ it, I was just pulling onto the weigh bridge at Ripon Gas Works, just easing forward and very gently…no go. "well one of t’propshafts is turning lad " said the very helpful weighman. He wasn’t so helpful later after the weighbridge had been blocked for a few hours.
Old Fred wasn’t impressed…another round of b ollockings for yours truely. :cry:

My dad nearly froze to death in an old LAD Albion 4 wheeler . He broke down in heavy snow not far from where the farm splits both carriageways of the M62. He was there for about 7 hours before the mechanic came out . He was stiff as a bone. It was 77 i think and he was on Calendar News parked on the hard shoulder , i cant find the news reel though

FB_IMG_1569006100324 (1).jpgN M P, Adams ran a lot of The Albion 6 wheelers, The latter ones were single drive, Regards Larry.

Jalfrezi:

Stanfield:
Hi Dave Here’s another photo of the LAD Albion you posted last.Before it had the spotlamps fitted.
JOHN.

I think when this Reiver was first restored it was in Smith of Maddiston livery.

It was: (note the 8 stud wheels):

My Pal from West ■■■■■■■ the Late H T Thompson, Harry, bought a new Ergo cabbed Albion Riever in 1968 and it was a single drive model and I think he would replace it with a new AEC Marshal which I believe was also single drive. Maximum payload as well as squeezing in the heaviest ULW permissible on the “A” licence at the time prior to the introduction of Operator Licencing. Cheers Bewick.

We seem to have had most of the other older wagons but what about the good old Albion Reiver.Lets have your stories and pictures of the LAD & EGRO cabbed motor.
One of each here to start with.Do you remember banging your elbow on the back of the cab selecting your gears in the L.A.Ds.Or the mirror arm on the Egro flapping about until they moved them from the doors to the pillers.

And another LAD.

Heres an Egro with the mirrors moved to the pillers

I spent alot of time in my Dads super comet and ergo mercury, but when I started as a drivers mate on an Albion Clydsdale and we did the shunting age 16 I was always banging my elbow on the back of the cab, nights out were spent just sleeping in the seats, and if I fell asleep while going along, the driver used to wack me with a stick to wake up, heaters were crap, so when we got an ergo super comet it was like getting a scania, well at least the heaters worked, then a leyland lynx, luxury.

I was weaned on an Albion Reiver,reg was 7637 WJ and did hardly owt else but steel with it from Sheffield to Birmingham area and steel back.I think 20 ton gross was about right for it but it regularly grossed more than that :laughing: Apart from a front wheel blow out at Burton on Trent one night (ish) it never let me down.

this is the only Ergo Cabbed pic i got … was playing around with it once with Paintshop Pro… Hence its black and white in the background and colour for the Lorry… :blush:

taken at Truckfest Edin 08…

Had an ERGO cabbed Riever tipper for a few months,good motor,better than the LAD comet i had before…chris

Brand new to St Albans @ the commercial vehicle motor show

i remember as a kid my father buying his first 6 wheeler and that was an albion reiver reg 6 wde model re29l leyland 400 amd albion 6 speed box still have the workshop manuel for the truck

A firm called Hughes of Presteigne had the first LAD cabbed Albion Reiver around here,a six wheeler tipper in Nash Rocks Nash & Strinds quarries. S W Brisbane had one in 1961 CFO 597,followed by two more in 1965. Old Radnor Trading Co ran one from 1964 out of the Gore and Dolyhir quarries,it was involved in an accident about two years later and written off.
Here’s a nice example pictured at Gaydon this summer.Still a fine looking lorry.

Hi Dave Here’s another photo of the LAD Albion you posted last.Before it had the spotlamps fitted.

JOHN.