air leak

I agree with the overall point you’re trying to make but launching into the guy and basically making him out to be some sort of fool because he (quite rightly) won’t sort it himself is not really helping. I’ve been in similar situation myself and had I had the tools, I’d have been able to fix it as I could see all it need was a nut tightening. Similar story for blown bulbs, but these days you nearly have to take the engine out to get at the bulb :unamused: and that just doesn’t apply to trucks either.

You’ve also got to consider that there’s a ton of people that don’t know one end of a screwdriver from the other. It’s all fine and dandy people like ourselves who use the brain we were born with to self-diagnose problems and are quite possibly able to fix ourselves given the correct tools, but would you really want to take out a truck that some dim-looking bloke you don’t know from Adam has just self-fixed some problems with the wheels/steering/brakes/air lines etc? :open_mouth:

I agree with the overall point you’re trying to make but launching into the guy and basically making him out to be some sort of fool because he (quite rightly) won’t sort it himself is not really helping. I’ve been in similar situation myself and had I had the tools, I’d have been able to fix it as I could see all it need was a nut tightening. Similar story for blown bulbs, but these days you nearly have to take the engine out to get at the bulb and that just doesn’t apply to trucks either.

You’ve also got to consider that there’s a ton of people that don’t know one end of a screwdriver from the other. It’s all fine and dandy people like ourselves who use the brain we were born with to self-diagnose problems and are quite possibly able to fix ourselves given the correct tools, but would you really want to take out a truck that some dim-looking bloke you don’t know from Adam has just self-fixed some problems with the wheels/steering/brakes/air lines etc?

Myself, I don’t think that anybody has said any thing against the original poster except maybe my first remark which was only intended to be in the spirit of provoking comment but i am sure that i will not be called a muppet simply for being from the old school of doing things.
As for your remark about rebuilding V8 engines at the mercy of hungry grizzly bears and stuff Rob, well for sure that exact scenario might be the stuff of romance but we do sometimes have to sort ourselves out in less than ideal conditions for sure.

Santa:
‘If the leak gets so bad that it is a problem, then you have gauges and an alarm in the cab to tell you’

Another clue is a locked up trailer decelerating the office very quickly to 0 mph - eradicating any need for guages or an alarm (which you’ll not have time to look at or listen to).

Leaks don’t self fix. However, as long as those without either:

a. Knowledge of their equipment or
b. The courage of conviction

Populate this industry, then those with scruples need to be wary of - and to effectively manage - carrying a greater burden of worry and of getting wound-up than those without scruple.

newmercman:
Wire, I know exactly what you mean, the first thing I used to put in my lorry, for a trip over the water, was my tool box. I’ve fitted new head gaskets on compressors, changed wheel bearings, rewired trailers & much more, all on the side of the road, I’ve repaired a broken wiper linkage on a Turbostar with superglue & a coat hanger & driven back from Alicante with no windscreen,

You forgot to mention that you had no cab heater, and you operated the windscreen wipers with a bit of string :unamused: Oh and not’s let forget about the overcoat that hung over the battery in the passenger side to support your head whilst you grabbed your sleep :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Heard all of these stories before from old school drivers, oh how the times have changed :unamused:

newmercman:
Wire, I know exactly what you mean, the first thing I used to put in my lorry, for a trip over the water, was my tool box. I’ve fitted new head gaskets on compressors, changed wheel bearings, rewired trailers & much more, all on the side of the road, I’ve repaired a broken wiper linkage on a Turbostar with superglue & a coat hanger & driven back from Alicante with no windscreen, but that was in a different time, in today’s world nobody would let you do that kind of thing, there’s a set list of procedures & you cannot, under any circumstances, think for yourself, use a bit of common sense & deviate from this list, being a lorry driver now means just that, you drive the lorry, you don’t do anything else, it’s all part of the dumbing down process, to old codgers like you & I, it’s taken a lot of the fun out of the job, but that’s the world we now live in :unamused: Having said that, there have been [zb] about since the invention of the wheel, I’ve seen a bloke call out DKV emergency on a weekend in France because he had no trailer lights, it turned out to be a 500 quid repair, it was a blown FUSE :open_mouth:

I recently did a spot of deer hunting & got two of the little [zb]ers, one managed to make it under the bumper & on the way through ripped out all my airlines on the trailer brake chambers, I had all the trailer wheels lock up at 70 odd & went through some very odd angles before I got over to the shoulder, it was after midnight & I was in the middle of nowhere, so out came the tool box, I wound off the spring brakes & 20mins later I was rolling again, ok, I had no trailer brakes, but I was only going to the nearest truckstop to wait for someone to bring out new airlines in the morning, all in a day’s work for us, but a sackable offence in the UK :wink:

Sackable offense ? More like imprisonable! I’d love to see what a VOSA inspector or Copper would say when if he found you’d disabled your brakes.

If you read the posts on here Mr Wire & Co you’ll see drivers running into trouble all the time due to the massive amount of legislation to do with haulage in Europe. Be it tacho, working time, & sometimes “minor” defects all of which lead up to big fines & grief from VOSA etc. Even the trucks themselves are programed to slow down when you run out of Ad-Blue.
Like modern cars, they are manufactured more & more to keep the “oily bits” away from the untrained. Of course it’s as much to do with making £ than any concern about the Environment & safety.
The powers that be dont wont drivers doing anything beyond changing a bulb, because if you do & end up making things worse your arse will be soundly kicked big time, no matter how good your intentions.

So the OP did the right thing. he was unsure, so he defected the trailer until a trained person could say it was ok to use or not. more importantly he stood up to the ■■■■ in the office who tried to bully him into using it.

The Cowboy frontier bollox fix it myself doesn’t work in Europe.

You forgot to mention that you had no cab heater, and you operated the windscreen wipers with a bit of string Oh and not’s let forget about the overcoat that hung over the battery in the passenger side to support your head whilst you grabbed your sleep

Heard all of these stories before from old school drivers, oh how the times have changed

So who’s being sarky now?
I don’t think that Newmercman is trying to impress anyone but simply recalling an experience which is relevant to this thread.

The Cowboy frontier bollox fix it myself doesn’t work in Europe

You may consider that anything not directly related to holding the steering is “cowboy frontier bollox” and that is your perogative but elsewhere on this forum at this exact time is a thread where a guy is asking why lorry driving in Britain is not considered a skilled proffesion and British drivers don’t get any respect anymore…THINK ABOUT IT?

Wire you’ve hit the nail on the head I’ve had a brake chamber go on me and wound It off before now and run back to base fully freighted it’s not a big problem even in an emergency stop onw axle not working is still driveable I’d better add this was many moons ago

Bloody hell, whats wrong with you lot, nowt wrong with defecting the trailer till it’s looked at especially when another was available! Equally there’s nowt wrong with running it to workshop and let them evaluate it. What is wrong is 1. ignoring it and leave it to the next guy. 2. Slating someone for being concientious and maybe even professional.

Self repairs can go wrong, and not always by your own doing! I’ve had wipers fall off cos agency thought they’d be better swapped round, I seem to remember Rog carried the can (no pun intended) cos someone overfilled with oil. We can only replce rear bulbs, even topping up oil is a service centre job (gets interesting when lease co ProHire are on stop again), rightly or wrongly, doing it this way leaves the job to the professionals with the right tools, and of course if they get it wrong, management can’t blame you (can they?).

It was a lot easier in the old days :stuck_out_tongue: if you had an airleak, you could either drop the range change button, stick a pair of mole grips on the pipes or rev the nuts off the engine :stuck_out_tongue:

Secretelephant:

Here’s the thing, though. Out of the three of us on this thread, I am the one has been away the longest. The Marks are not that far behind. NMM and I were both O/O on European work and I can assure you that the cowboy frontier bollix worked just fine in Europe. Cobbling it together to get it home was part and parcel of the job. It isn’t “tales” or “stories”. We mostly remember the catastrophes with some fondness I think. For the record, we “old school” drivers are all under 45 years old. In fact, I am the youngest!!! :laughing: :laughing:

If the OP didn’t know what the air leak was then surely it would have been better to ask someone who does. At least it shows that he is not just putting the trailer off the road for the sake of it. If it broke down on the road then the first question asked would be “what is it doing?” or “where is the leak?” To say it is on the trailer brake system is, surely, a little too vague?

bobthedog:

Secretelephant:

Here’s the thing, though. Out of the three of us on this thread, I am the one has been away the longest. The Marks are not that far behind. NMM and I were both O/O on European work and I can assure you that the cowboy frontier bollix worked just fine in Europe. Cobbling it together to get it home was part and parcel of the job. It isn’t “tales” or “stories”. We mostly remember the catastrophes with some fondness I think. For the record, we “old school” drivers are all under 45 years old. In fact, I am the youngest!!! :laughing: :laughing:

If the OP didn’t know what the air leak was then surely it would have been better to ask someone who does. At least it shows that he is not just putting the trailer off the road for the sake of it. If it broke down on the road then the first question asked would be “what is it doing?” or “where is the leak?” To say it is on the trailer brake system is, surely, a little too vague?

The guy had not even left his own depot so who better to look at it than the fitters in his own shop which in turn requires a defect to be made out.
There is no way on this earth I would be driving out the gates of my home base with any defect, be it tractor or trailer.
the days of the cowboy operators are numbered and the sooner we all realise this the better this industry would be for the rest of us.

Just to clear a few things I have 30 minutes from clocking on to check out my vehicle, couple up and fix any lights if I can plus top oil and adblue ect anything else as to be defected then fixed by a professional.

I did find the leak where you pull the trailer break button and shunt button there is a big block which I call the trailer brake unit.

Oh well whatever the problem was i don’t supose it matters now but the main thing is that you started a very lively thread because of it anyway. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

newmercman:
Wire, I know exactly what you mean, the first thing I used to put in my lorry, for a trip over the water, was my tool box. I’ve fitted new head gaskets on compressors, changed wheel bearings, rewired trailers & much more, all on the side of the road, I’ve repaired a broken wiper linkage on a Turbostar with superglue & a coat hanger & driven back from Alicante with no windscreen, but that was in a different time, in today’s world nobody would let you do that kind of thing, there’s a set list of procedures & you cannot, under any circumstances, think for yourself, use a bit of common sense & deviate from this list, being a lorry driver now means just that, you drive the lorry, you don’t do anything else, it’s all part of the dumbing down process, to old codgers like you & I, it’s taken a lot of the fun out of the job, but that’s the world we now live in :unamused: Having said that, there have been [zb] about since the invention of the wheel, I’ve seen a bloke call out DKV emergency on a weekend in France because he had no trailer lights, it turned out to be a 500 quid repair, it was a blown FUSE :open_mouth:

I recently did a spot of deer hunting & got two of the little [zb]ers, one managed to make it under the bumper & on the way through ripped out all my airlines on the trailer brake chambers, I had all the trailer wheels lock up at 70 odd & went through some very odd angles before I got over to the shoulder, it was after midnight & I was in the middle of nowhere, so out came the tool box, I wound off the spring brakes & 20mins later I was rolling again, ok, I had no trailer brakes, but I was only going to the nearest truckstop to wait for someone to bring out new airlines in the morning, all in a day’s work for us, but a sackable offence in the UK :wink:

You bunch of [zb]ing muppets, read what I have actually written & comment on that, not once have I slagged off the OP or condoned making a repair yourself :unamused:

Also the temporary lack of brakes on my trailer was a ■■■■ sight safer than being stuck on the shoulder of the particular road I was on during a major winter storm (snowfall of around 2" per hour & 55mph straight line winds)

I don’t profess to being a supertrucker, nothing that has happened during my 25yrs on the road is nothing that hasn’t happened to a million drivers the world over, but I have ■■■■ better drivers than most of the whinging pansies on this site :bulb:

I have never known of an air leak that got better on its own just get it done ,never do tommorow what you can do today,a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

newmercman:

newmercman:

You bunch of [zb]ing muppets, read what I have actually written & comment on that, not once have I slagged off the OP or condoned making a repair yourself :unamused:

Also the temporary lack of brakes on my trailer was a ■■■■ sight safer than being stuck on the shoulder of the particular road I was on during a major winter storm (snowfall of around 2" per hour & 55mph straight line winds)

I don’t profess to being a supertrucker, nothing that has happened during my 25yrs on the road is nothing that hasn’t happened to a million drivers the world over, but I have [zb] better drivers than most of the whinging pansies on this site :bulb:

:grimacing: Why are you quoting yourself and calling yourself a muppet? :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry guys, the days of carrying a tool box is over, unlesss your an O/D…the jobs changed, and in many ways for the better…an example of the old days was when i was delayed, after stripping out half the poxy engine, to get me home…was asked…" where the [zb] have you been…some bosses never understood…and those today know nothing about transport that if you explained a problem on a truck, they wouldnt know what you were talking about anyway…so back to the point…

If a vehicle has a defect…it shouldnt be on the road…if it wasnt there when the vehicle was new…it shouldnt be there now…and if a boss insists on you taking it out…ask him if it will pass the VOSA test…then watch his face…if he still insists…take it to a VOSA site anyway…after filling in a V40, and handing in…or phone VOSA for their interpretation…job done.

Oh, very droll Rob, I had to quote myself as it appears that plain English is beyond the comprehension of some of the knuckledraggers (copyright Rockape :wink: ) If you read what I have actually written then you can see that I agree with the OP, yet my post is quoted as if I think he was wrong :unamused:

Impertinent remarks regarding rebuilding engines etc just go to prove the lack of respect from some of the steering wheel holders on here, it was the way things happened not so long ago, in the world Wire, BTD & share it is still part of the job in some cases, but that is comparing apples to oranges, which is the point I made :unamused:

newmercman:
Oh, very droll Rob, I had to quote myself as it appears that plain English is beyond the comprehension of some of the knuckledraggers (copyright Rockape :wink: ) If you read what I have actually written then you can see that I agree with the OP, yet my post is quoted as if I think he was wrong :unamused:

Impertinent remarks regarding rebuilding engines etc just go to prove the lack of respect from some of the steering wheel holders on here, it was the way things happened not so long ago, in the world Wire, BTD & share it is still part of the job in some cases, but that is comparing apples to oranges, which is the point I made :unamused:

SIGH You take everything WAY too seriously. :unamused: