Air Horns & Horses, beware..!

I live half a mile from a riding school so often encounter horses on the road. I’m always considerate and all the riders I’ve met have been proficient so have I’ve never had any problems. However I’m not entirely sure roads are the best place for horses as, unlike motor vehicles or bicycles, the rider cannot have complete control over them no matter how well trained the horse is. Obviously I do not condone some of the idiocy these riders have to put up with from some people.

well to be honest why do horses have to use the rd■■? where i live in rothwell leeds there are horses always on the rd yet the area is covered by fields.
now i always give way to horses and always slow down and give a wide berth but do riders always think about everyone else… no they dont

they ride side by side so they can have a chat and with total disregard to everyone else and expect all road users to move out of their way.

Well I think horses are nice :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Especially out of a can called Corned Beef :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jammymutt:
Not pointing the blame at anyone but i got to agree with Alex what the [zb] are they doing riding horses over the M25?, thats just asking for trouble.

Hang on just one minute here!! The bridge in question was a bridleway bridge, there to ensure a pre-existing bridleway route that was there long before the M25 was built is actually maintained. Its there for exactly the purpose the it was being used for…

The horses were there long before the lorries, perhaps the lorries should go into “silent mode” and slow to 10mph 200m either side of this type of bridge :laughing:

AlexxInNY:
All things aside, a skittish horse should never be ridden near heavy traffic.

Or maybe heavy traffic should not be routed near a bridleway■■?

but why the long face…

Martin:

AlexxInNY:
All things aside, a skittish horse should never be ridden near heavy traffic.

Or maybe heavy traffic should not be routed near a bridleway■■?

It would be a bit extreme to have re-routed the M25 for the sake of a bridleway :slight_smile:

Andyroo:
I hope that car driver did catch the truck, maybe you should contact the police yourself in case he was reported and witnesses are being sought.

Oddly enough I spoke to plod in Clacketts today and asked if they had heard anything about this incident, he checked with his control but nothing had been reported. However, he is now on the lookout for a plain white truck pulling a white reefer without a number plate, he will find something to nick him for!
I did ask what the driver could be done for if he had been caught and it seems it would only be “Improper use of the horn” which would probably not even get to court…

Martin:

Andyroo:
I hope that car driver did catch the truck, maybe you should contact the police yourself in case he was reported and witnesses are being sought.

Oddly enough I spoke to plod in Clacketts today and asked if they had heard anything about this incident, he checked with his control but nothing had been reported. However, he is now on the lookout for a plain white truck pulling a white reefer without a number plate, he will find something to nick him for!
I did ask what the driver could be done for if he had been caught and it seems it would only be “Improper use of the horn” which would probably not even get to court…

I hope they find him. An incident like that not getting to court would be a travesty.

Martin:
he is now on the lookout for a plain white truck pulling a white reefer without a number plate, he will find something to nick him for!

Don’t think he will have to look to far to find something. :wink: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

Martin:
he is now on the lookout for a plain white truck pulling a white reefer without a number plate, he will find something to nick him for!

Don’t think he will have to look to far to find something. :wink: :smiley:

I think you might be right, in the 5 miles or so between Clackets and the M26 tonight I saw at least 8 trucks with no plate on the trailer, how do they get away with it!!

Davey Driver:
Especially out of a can called Corned Beef :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

don’t forget “meat” pies available in most supermarkets :wink:

<tin 'at on>
the only trouble is, a lot of Horses going for human consumption are getting on a bit - the one I took to the abattoir earlier this week was at least 25 years old, not exactly going to be prime tender meat is it :exclamation: never mind I’m sure the Italians and French won’t mind :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

So if the horn had to be used to prevent an accident, and then the horse reared then that is ok is it? Or do I now have to look at every bridge before I bang the horn to make auntie doris aware she is drifting in to my lane■■? Would it not be simpler and safer for the horse riders to dismount and walk accross the bridge?? I have seen lots of horses ridden by young girls who do not have the road knowledge to be on the road, yet they are let loose with 1ton of vehicle that has a mind of its own!!! I fail to see where you horsey people get your arguments from, there are plenty enough green fields that are suitable for horse riding yet alot (not all) prefer to ride on the roads, it is bad enough in a car or in the truck but coming round a corner on a bike and finding a steaming heap of dung in the middle of the road makes you create some of your own!!! And as for riding two abreast, the highway code says cyclists can not do it so why should horses!!

I apologise but horse riding on the roads is a pet hate of mine, it is bloody dangerous for all concerned - the rider, the poor horse and the motorist.

smcaul:
I fail to see where you horsey people get your arguments from, there are plenty enough green fields that are suitable for horse riding yet alot (not all) prefer to ride on the roads

Hello■■? Where are you coming from■■?

Do you really think we prefer to risk our own lives, other road users lives and the lives of our prized posessions just for the sake of ‘WANTING’ to ride on the roads■■?

No - I think you will find that a lot of people have no choice in the matter - yes there may be lots of green fields around but you go and find a farmer who is nurturing crops or has herds of cows and flocks of sheep in if the horses around can just go in for a ‘jolly’!!!

I think you will find the answer is NO!!! - I take it you are a TOWNY!

Ummmm, No I live on the edge of the new forest. Just as a point, If you had an off road motorbike you would not be allowed to ride it on the road, you have to go and find somewhere you can ride it (a field), Yet if it has four legs it can be ridden on the road, fouling the road, causing a danger to other road users, No lights, No indicators, Not Licenced, I assume you dont have to have insurance, Riders do not wear any Hi Viz gear and often being ridden by inexpierenced road users, many of whom I suspect are not even old enough to ride a moped. If you have a horse why not keep it where it has access to fields and open riding areas, would that not make more sense?? It would be the same as me owning an aeroplane, then using the road as a runway, just because there is no runway right outside. And is it really any good for the horse to be ridden on hard surfaces and getting scared by motor vehicles■■?

smcaul:
Ummmm, No I live on the edge of the new forest. Just as a point, If you had an off road motorbike you would not be allowed to ride it on the road, you have to go and find somewhere you can ride it (a field), Yet if it has four legs it can be ridden on the road, fouling the road, causing a danger to other road users, No lights, No indicators, Not Licenced, I assume you dont have to have insurance, Riders do not wear any Hi Viz gear and often being ridden by inexpierenced road users, many of whom I suspect are not even old enough to ride a moped. If you have a horse why not keep it where it has access to fields and open riding areas, would that not make more sense?? It would be the same as me owning an aeroplane, then using the road as a runway, just because there is no runway right outside. And is it really any good for the horse to be ridden on hard surfaces and getting scared by motor vehicles■■?

I don’t wish to offend anyone but I have to agree with the above, I’ve seen horses riden on housing estates which IMO is ridiculous.

Surely any bridge that is used by livestock should have a cage over it. As a motorcyclist and a truck driver I always give horses a wide and quiet berth, for which I have without fail been thanked for very pleasantly.

There are two very good reasons for allowing horses to use roads; female riders + jodhpurs. End of argument as far as I’m concerned. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
There are two very good reasons for allowing horses to use roads; female riders + jodhpurs. End of argument as far as I’m concerned. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

For the same reason having them walk alongside the horse would far better. :laughing: :laughing:

smcaul:
For the same reason having them walk alongside the horse would far better. :laughing: :laughing:

No, then you don’t get that bouncy thing going on. :wink: :smiley: