Aggressive Drivers

Now, I’m definitely no ‘arm round the shoulder, there there’ lefty. And I’m a huge fan of stern discipline, but;

robroy:
… but a deterrent sharp smack across the fingers or on the arse…it always worked for the likes of me anyhow.)
:

Can I just mention anger management and see what’s the response?
It is unfortunate now, that kids know they have the law on their side when it comes to any sort of chastising, so parents and teachers are handcuffed.

I Know it’s commonplace now happens every day, I was heading for my depot in Avonmouth 5 pm fully loaded on a roads so going steady single carriageway towards dual Carriageway containers driver up my backside pulls out to overtake me I ease off the gas only a short dual and then back to single lane he couldn’t pass me even when I slowed down , after that he’s on the horn flashing headlight for about 5 minutes giving me hand signals, jeez I thought calm down youth , I thought he was going to follow me but he turned off on a roundabout. I wouldn’t be driving if it made me like that.

chrisv:
I Know it’s commonplace now happens every day, I was heading for my depot in Avonmouth 5 pm fully loaded on a roads so going steady single carriageway towards dual Carriageway containers driver up my backside pulls out to overtake me I ease off the gas only a short dual and then back to single lane he couldn’t pass me even when I slowed down , after that he’s on the horn flashing headlight for about 5 minutes giving me hand signals, jeez I thought calm down youth , I thought he was going to follow me but he turned off on a roundabout. I wouldn’t be driving if it made me like that.

I just either blow them a kiss or give them a really camp wave with a big over stupid and ridiculous smile on my face,.or both. :smiley:

I wouldn’t worry mate, you’ll be driving long after him, he sounds like one of those many teararse superstars on his way to his first stress induced heart attack.

LazyDriver:
Now, I’m definitely no ‘arm round the shoulder, there there’ lefty. And I’m a huge fan of stern discipline, but;

robroy:
… but a deterrent sharp smack across the fingers or on the arse…it always worked for the likes of me anyhow.)
:

It is unfortunate now, that kids know they have the law on their side when it comes to any sort of chastising, so parents and teachers are handcuffed.

Not sure where you’re coming from on the anger management thing when disciplining kids.
You don’t do it out if anger you do it to give them a deterrent and instil some basic discipline .
In my case, both my lads just knew not to cross the line with me when younger,.and they have both turned out great lads, who respect me and we get on great together like mates rather than father and sons.

I see smacking has been banned in Scotland,to get around it they have parents and children organised coach trips down the A74, and as soon as they get to Carlisle all hell breaks loose. :smiley:

I haven’t really noticed more aggressive drivers, but I’ve definitely noticed more impatient and careless lorry drivers this past 6-12 months.

I get so many that pull out to overtake me at the 400yard sign at roadworks, or similar, and I have to brake so they don’t hit the cones or me. It gets me down a bit if I’m honest.

Franglais:
There have always been aggressive drivers, as there have always been aggressive people.

Cameras and www mean we see more of them on screen, and as we get older* we will have seen more of such behaviour in our lives.

Is there more aggression? Or is the same amount more widely seen?

*Grumpy old git, is not a coincidence!

Don’t so much about seeng them on the screen, today I’ve come down the A1 from north of the border, on the the A19, first roundabout, controlled by Traffic Lights a first exit, dual carriageway a one series Beamer trying to enter the roundabout he has come from the north but on the northbound carriage way, next roundabout two lanes on the left separated from the main carriageway by an island, two vans at speed went to go left, then when on the roundabout cut across the lanes on the roundabout first one carried on down the A19 the second one took the third exit jumping the lights in the process.
Talking later to one of out guys who had just exited the M6 southbound on to the M6 Toll when he met a car heading north on the southbound carriageway.

It’s not safe out there.

stu675:

peterm:

shullbit:
Its the GTA generation coming through.

What’s the GTA generation?

Grand Theft Auto is a video game, it’s primarily driving whatever you want however you want, including treating 'hoes however you want. They’re on version 5 now with 6 coming soon. First launched 1997 so there’s a good 20 years of it influencing the youngsters.

Thanks for that. I know of that game and always thought it over the top.

People overvalue their time/themselves. It’s all about me, my task, my journey, my convenience, now, now, NOW dammit!!

Robroy yes you are right , I’m 65 bit old for fisticuffs at the side of the road or anywhere else for that matter, bit of thought, common courtesy and consideration for other road users, I don’t own the road but have the right to drive in a safe manner without being threatened, I think they need anger management courses.

robroy:

LazyDriver:

robroy:
:

Not sure where you’re coming from on the anger management thing when disciplining kids.
You don’t do it out if anger you do it to give them a deterrent and instil some basic discipline .
In my case, both my lads just knew not to cross the line with me when younger,.and they have both turned out great lads, who respect me and we get on great together like mates rather than father and sons.

I see smacking has been banned in Scotland,to get around it they have parents and children organised coach trips down the A74, and as soon as they get to Carlisle all hell breaks loose. :smiley:

Just being a bit flipent when you said it didn’t do you any harm, but in another post admitted to anger management issues. :smiling_imp:

LazyDriver:

robroy:

LazyDriver:

robroy:
:

Just being a bit flipent when you said it didn’t do you any harm, but in another post admitted to anger management issues. :smiling_imp:

Like I said mate any anger management issues I had whilst younger has/had the far end of f/all to do with me instilling discipline on my kids,.two entirely different and separate entities. :bulb: …I have never got angry with them to the point of losing it where anger management has had to kick in.,.and I never will,.I think far too much of them.

Where as in the period of my life you mention, I only got angry with arse holes and d/heads, which got me in bother, where as today that anger has been reduced towards those types in a zero tolerance way, and I manage to just ignore and disregard them the best I can, with little difficulty.
But hey!..thanks for bringing it up and being interested anyhow. :neutral_face:

A lot of it is the post lockdown effect where drivers could tear around on empty roads and now things are back to normal it frustrates the hell out of them, I carry ADR regularly so I’m constantly aware of crappy and inconsiderate driving and the orange plates don’t seem to deter people from their selfish behaviour.
I usually just keep backing off until they lose interest or pull over for a minute, it does wind me up sometimes but we are the professional drivers so we should act likewise although there are a fair few lgv drivers who need to have a word with themselves too.

I generally think we live in a more aggressive society, not just driving , hence all the stabbings.
Anything trivial seems to promote the most outlandish outbursts over anything minor driving or not.

Happy Trucker1:
I generally think we live in a more aggressive society, not just driving , hence all the stabbings.
Anything trivial seems to promote the most outlandish outbursts over anything minor driving or not.

I agree, social media makes people think they can say/do anything they like to anyone.

robroy:
Like I said mate any anger management issues I had whilst younger has/had the far end of f/all to do with me instilling discipline on my kids,.two entirely different and separate entities. :bulb: …I have never got angry with them to the point of losing it where anger management has had to kick in.,.and I never will,.I think far too much of them.

Where as in the period of my life you mention, I only got angry with arse holes and d/heads, which got me in bother, where as today that anger has been reduced towards those types in a zero tolerance way, and I manage to just ignore and disregard them the best I can, with little difficulty.

I hope you don’t think I was suggesting you had any issues towards your kids. That is not what I meant. Tbh, until you mentioned the saucepans, I didn’t even know you had any! The sentiment was intended as, “I got a good thrashing in school, but it didn’t effect me.” then you say you have issues with anger. I’m getting the feeling I’m becoming one of those a/holes, and as this hole is getting deeper, I’ll stop digging!

LazyDriver:

robroy:

I hope you don’t think I was suggesting you had any issues towards your kids. That is not what I meant. Tbh, until you mentioned the saucepans, I didn’t even know you had any! The sentiment was intended as, “I got a good thrashing in school, but it didn’t effect me.” then you say you have issues with anger. I’m getting the feeling I’m becoming one of those a/holes, and as this hole is getting deeper, I’ll stop digging!

Yep,.I did think that was what you were getting at tbh, but there ya go,.I now know you weren’t after all. :smiley:

I never got ‘‘a good thrashing’’ at school, as you put it,.more a couple of raps across the palm of the hands a few times, but I was only pointing out it was a good deterrent.
It definitely had nothing to do with or have any effect on anything that occurred later on in my 20s…and btw I HAD issues, not HAVE them. :bulb:

Nah you don’t qualify for my a/holes list mate :smiley: , I’ve had much worse on here than what you’ve said. so don’t worry. :smiley:

robroy:

LazyDriver:

robroy:

Yep,.I did think that was what you were getting at tbh, but there ya go,.I now know you weren’t after all. :smiley:

I never got ‘‘a good thrashing’’ at school, as you put it,.more a couple of raps across the palm of the hands a few times, but I was only pointing out it was a good deterrent.
It definitely had nothing to do with or have any effect on anything that occurred later on in my 20s…and btw I HAD issues, not HAVE them. :bulb:

Nah you don’t qualify for my a/holes list mate :smiley: , I’ve had much worse on here than what you’ve said. so don’t worry. :smiley:

Phew, glad we’re on the same page now! Didn’t fancy bumping into you in Rugby services and being administered a ■■■■ good thrashing! :smiling_imp: (which, incidentally I lifted from the ‘ripping yarns’ comedy series circa late '70’s)

I got my late 70’s pythonesque comedies confused, it was Fawlty Towers. :smiley:

LazyDriver:
I got my late 70’s pythonesque comedies confused, it was Fawlty Towers. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc
:smiley:

Franglais:

LazyDriver:

youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc
:smiley:

Thanks mate, it never ceases to make me laugh. I actually have the dvd box sets of both Fawlty towers and ripping yarns. I just lack the appropriate number of brain cells to remember which is which! :laughing: