AGENCY not paid me for 2 months - BEWARE

Be very specific how you word the letter too.
To take court action, you first need to have served a formal notice of your intention to do so, and give them a time period to resolve the matter before you do.

Address the letter to name/position/company
Open with Notice Before Action
Then keep it strictly to facts

On ■■.■■.xxxx I worked ■■ hours, blah blah blah

Closing with If full payment is not made within 7 days of this notice, I will commence court proceedings to recover the monies owed.

Keep it strictly factual and professionalol; with no emotion or sentiment at all.

I don’t know which government body you’d have to report them to these days but, many years ago my brothers & I were looking into starting an agency. (Didn’t do it but now wish we had :frowning:) I contacted an office in Birmingham asking a few questions about whether we’d need any form of certification to do the job.

They answered my questions and also warned me the agency had a legal commitment to pay it’s employees whether or not the customer paid the agency. If this is still the case you need to go to the job centre or C.A.B to find out which office governs angencies these days & report them for non payment. With any luck they might find themselves out of business. It’d be good enough for them, I hate non payers.

BB

The owners of these agency’s and there cohorts should be gassed and their children sold into slavery, I hate them they have ruined transport, the lowest of the low, parasites to a man.

mike68:
The owners of these agency’s and there cohorts should be gassed and their children sold into slavery, I hate them they have ruined transport, the lowest of the low, parasites to a man.

Good man, thinking of the children. It doesn’t happen enough on here.

Thanks for the replies guys and gals.

I will take all advice on board except of course the physical actions! :smiley:

I will not publish the name of the agency on this Board because of the legal implications for the message board and its moderators.

The issue is confined to the Greater Manchester Area, and as i said in my original post, if anybody wants to know the agency details then its best to PM me.

Cheers,

LandyLad

Thanks for the PM Landy Lad.

Not sure why there’s any legal issues, they can defend themselves on here or you can update the info when you’ve been paid.

It’s not heresay or rumour, so not sure why it’s against the board.

Hopefully an admin will allow you to post the name or they will do it, to save any other driver getting in any trouble with these cowboys

steve_24v:
Agency holiday pay ?

Now there’s a whole can of…

There seem to be two types of “agency pay” in my experience.

One is where you get a small bonus added to a pot per shift worked. The amount added depends upon the hourly rate x hours, so if you did say, 13 weeks of £10ph average then you’d get more than 13 weeks of £9.00 so it makes sense. The money added isn’t deducted from your pay - its an accrued bonus, and therefore proper holiday pay.

The second kind of “holiday pay” is where a deduction (15% ish!) is made from your pay, and the money paid into a “holiday pot” to disguise the fact that you are in fact self-employed/umbrella whilst the agency pretend you are PAYE.
Effectively the “holiday pot” is an enforced savings plan paid for with your own money! You may even find that the deduction is made from net pay (ie you’ve already paid tax on it!), and when you decide to take the holiday, you’ll get it taxed for a second time under these “pseudo PAYE” rules that are in fact giving away nothing whatsoever, and accruing ZERO holiday pay, as you paid for it all (maybe twice over!) yourself. :imp: :imp:

Any agency that doesn’t offer an “opt out” of such commission-laden schemes (I’m getting started on “salary sacrifice now!”) is out to con you by acting as a kick-back agent for the third-party firm they operate on behalf of, which should never be necessary if you really are paye in the first place! :imp:

With some agencies, I’ve opted out of expenses, because you had to pay £27 a week to get them, regardless of you getting a single 8 hour shift that week or 48 hours worth… You really do end up paying for the privelage of going to work! At least they gave me the opt-out though, which still causes problems when they expect me to do a 100 mile round trip with no expenses paid to “do a favour” and keep some client happy after a last-minute calculation. :cry:

Shame I never seem to get the favour returned before the firm goes under!, or pulls their work off the books!
:angry:

If there is ever a dispute that ends up in court, make sure you’ve got the tacho printouts to back you up. They include the registration of vehicles driven that some firm is trying to say you didn’t drive on such and such day and place.
They are in hot water indeed if they don’t provide “who drove this vehicle” to investigators when pushed for the data. This will protect you from clients “slow paying” and an agency who’s on the edge, and reluctant to push the client for prompt payment. It WON’T protect you from an agency going bust before you get paid though, as they could steal everyone’s money and go to barbados without fear of comeback, such are our stupid laws in the UK that allow little enforement against limited companies. Personally, I reckon any firm going bust should be a criminal act IF the directors are not declared insolvent at the same time. Instead, they just run off with the firm’s money that’s left, and default the firms debts whilst remaining personally solvent… I don’t ever recall seeing an ex-company director living in cardboard city or even on the DSS! I’m sure they exist, but like an endangered spiecies, they are difficult to find.

Anyone who says he can’t afford to pay me when he’s clearly more well-heeled than I am is a crook in my book, and I’m always wary of people who ask too much of me before my first lot of pay comes through.

BanburyDan:

Pat Hasler:

LandyLad:
Hi everyone.

i want to warn people about an agency (who I will not name on this forum)

LandyLad

Name and shame them. Agencies need a good kicking up the chuffa. Don’t do another minute for them and take them to a small claims court.
Post stories in every magazine and publication you can do so.

All Agencies should either pay proper wages and a minimum 40 hours pay a week with 5 weeks paid holidays nd full sick pay or be put out of the industry for good.

That would be great - I have yet to have a single five day week of work from any of the ones I am with, its crippling is financially.

I’ve had zero full weeks from one agency, and one single week from another - in the past financial YEAR. I reckon you’re spot on! The only moan I’ve got is that I live in north kent ffs! I thought this part of the world was supposed to be the “prosperous south east”? :open_mouth:

‘Prosperous’ in that it is a good slave market perhaps? :imp: :imp:

Can DAFicus and his fellow gods of the highway break out of the evil ludus of Aylesford? Can they avoid the injury to nostrils from constantly being downwind and within a stone’s throw of the damned sewage farm!

Can they get away before the pursuing armies of blue rosettes remove the tiny girdle of protection covering their modesties known as “Minimum Wage”? :question:

Will the Arena be dominated by Thracians, Visigoths, and Vandals that end up being paid more to clean the toilets than the gods of the highway get to drive a truck with a 20 year+ clean licence?

More in next week’s exciting episode - Herge adventures of SinBin - The crap with the golden claws… :wink: :wink: :wink:

LandyLad:
Strange !!!

The agency has just (10 mins ago) rung me up and said they will be paying me 4 hours for the November 24th shift!

I worked 7 am to 7:15 pm with a 45 minute break, which is 11.5 hours by my maths.

LandyLad

Are you sure they didn’t say "they will be paying me 4 the hours for the November 24th shift!

:question: Could be a simple mistake on their part if the manager has said to a minion, “tell him we will pay him for his hours”

pot noodle

Winseer:

BanburyDan:

Pat Hasler:

LandyLad:
Hi everyone.

i want to warn people about an agency (who I will not name on this forum)

LandyLad

Name and shame them. Agencies need a good kicking up the chuffa. Don’t do another minute for them and take them to a small claims court.
Post stories in every magazine and publication you can do so.

All Agencies should either pay proper wages and a minimum 40 hours pay a week with 5 weeks paid holidays nd full sick pay or be put out of the industry for good.

That would be great - I have yet to have a single five day week of work from any of the ones I am with, its crippling is financially.

I’ve had zero full weeks from one agency, and one single week from another - in the past financial YEAR. I reckon you’re spot on! The only moan I’ve got is that I live in north kent ffs! I thought this part of the world was supposed to be the “prosperous south east”? :open_mouth:

‘Prosperous’ in that it is a good slave market perhaps? :imp: :imp:

Can DAFicus and his fellow gods of the highway break out of the evil ludus of Aylesford? Can they avoid the injury to nostrils from constantly being downwind and within a stone’s throw of the damned sewage farm!

Can they get away before the pursuing armies of blue rosettes remove the tiny girdle of protection covering their modesties known as “Minimum Wage”? :question:

Will the Arena be dominated by Thracians, Visigoths, and Vandals that end up being paid more to clean the toilets than the gods of the highway get to drive a truck with a 20 year+ clean licence?

More in next week’s exciting episode - Herge adventures of SinBin - The crap with the golden claws… :wink: :wink: :wink:

Some of the agencies I am with have never offered me anything. You can guess which ones I don’t bother to call up. In fairness, I think agency work is just an opportunity to get ones foot in the door with a firm, lets say an agency sends me somewhere. If I like it, I’ll ask if they are taking on, and hey-ho I might just get a permanent job. But as a long-term thing its just a no-go.

My advice (Disclamer: I am not a lawyer…)

• Don’t name them publicly, at least not yet, in case it prejudices any legal case against the agency.
  • Provided you have good evidence that you really did the work, write them a letter stating what they owe you, why, and giving them 28 days to pay up or face legal action. In your letter, include a statement that, should you be forced to take legal action to recover monies due, you will require them to pay your costs for that legal action in addition to the money you are owed. Give them 28 days because, if you take it to court, you have to prove that you have given them “reasonable” opportunity to pay up, and if you only give them a week, this might be considered unreasonable and cause you to lose the case. I know you’ve already hassled them, but they could turn up to court and deny you’ve spoken to them at all, so you need some hard evidence that you’ve given them enough time.
  • If they still don’t pay up, fill in and submit the paperwork to take them to court. Since the value of your claim is probably under £1k (unless the agency promised spectacularly good rates!), it will be covered under the Small Claims Track of the County Court (a.k.a. Small Claims Court), which means that if you win, they should pay your costs, whereas even if they win, you won’t have to pay their costs.

HTH…

Thanks again to all of you who have given me advice on what and how to do it.

Some good basic info on Small Claims Court here - Thanks guys.

Wheelnut, thanks for the suggestion about the misinterpretation of the ‘4 hours’ and ‘for his hours’, its a reasonable call, but 2 weeks ago somebody from the agency said to me “xxxxxx ltd. has agreed to pay 4 hours for the Nov. 24th ‘UNTIL WE GET IT SORTED’.”

I am convinced that the agency is trying to get me to settle for only 4 hours pay and then forget all about the rest if they can succeed in making it too difficult for me.

In December, when I was on the phone to the agency chasing this money up, the person on the other end of the phone actually ended the conversation by saying “… Ok I’ll personnaly sort that out, dont worry. Oh I have to hang up right now, there has just been a car accident outside the office and I need to go and help.” (or phone the police or something).

Needless to say they never since phoned me without me hassling them first, But they always do reply to my phone calls but they always have an excuse as to why the money isnt going to be paid ‘this week’, its always ‘next week’.