Agency help

One thing I found with agency work is that a lot depends on your handler. A good one will listen to your requirements and match you to the right work, a bad one will lie through their teeth to you and do anything to get an assignment filled even if the work is totally unsuitable (e.g. heavy handball loads all day when they know you are in your 60s).

Harry Monk:
One thing I found with agency work is that a lot depends on your handler. A good one will listen to your requirements and match you to the right work, a bad one will lie through their teeth to you and do anything to get an assignment filled even if the work is totally unsuitable

^ That’s mostly what it’s all about.Bearing in mind that the ‘bad’ one will also be pressurised by his/her boss based on what and who mostly makes up the agency’s client base.
What’s needed is for the agency sector to clean up its act by removing the premise on it being seen by clients as a stop gap to fill unattractive jobs.
Some of which can’t really even be described as being a part of the ‘road transport industry’.They are building/construction trades labouring assignments which just sometimes involve the use of a truck to move materials between sites.
Or others in which the client and the agency will try to circumvent the driver’s motivation for even having a class 1 or the old proper class 2 with van/7.5t quality work.
Although it’s sometimes possible to find the exception which proves the rule, of 18t work, which is better than some artic jobs.
Distance work, which maximises driving time, combined with 10-12 hours max shift length, is the best way to avoid being lumbered with any dodgy ‘other duties’.
If it’s local work, especially involving building trades, all bets are off.

driveress:
Thanks again for the detailed, informative and insightful replies.

Just a few more questions :slight_smile: :

There’s Gregorys too, who look too good to be true on paper, but are advertising for a casual tramper at £12.31 incl holiday pay, which is £10.20 net, and you did advise

Take pretty much what ever you get offered providing the money isn’t too little

Well I know that I haven’t been offered this, but his is too little, right?

There’s a knee jerk reaction that would say, absolutely. But it’s not that simple. If you were based nearer Exeter, then you wouldn’t need to consider this as you’d have a much bigger pool of employers chasing a smaller number of drivers. This is the case across the country. But as you say, 2hrs a day spent travelling to this metropolis equates to £20.40 a day or £102 a week that you will have to earn (plus fuel and wear & tear) just to break even with this job. That said, ‘causal tramper’ seems like they are out to get everything they can from their drivers without giving them too much commitment.
This is the issue of living in an area where employment is scarce. You should try knocking on the door of the family firms. I’ve found them to have a better understanding of what their employees need. Good luck on your future career.

Thanks LazyDriver

I’ve been self-employed for years - I dread to think what my hourly rate would equate to if I actually sat down and worked it out - so a big part of this process for me is learning how to be employed and not undervaluing my time. At this early stage though, money is not the main driver for me (if you’ll pardon the pun) - getting experience along with getting what I want and keeping everything in balance is, so I’m not going to turn my nose up at an opportunity which is 2 miles away even if the rate seems on the low side, especially as I think it’s single drop. As well as registering with agencies, I will definitely go door knocking.

I’ve already knocked on one door, not because I wanted a job there, because I wanted an insight into the industry and some mentor-ship going through the process from the owner, who I know. I don’t think he believed that I wasn’t asking for a job. We had a lovely chat in his office and at the end he told me to come back when I’ve passed and he might be able to find some 6 wheel tipper work for me, which was really nice of him, don’t get me wrong, but let’s just say it was me doing all the listening. I will keep trying with the family firms though, and the rest, until I find a good fit. Thanks for the advice and good luck wishes.

I signed on to an agency in Exeter. I told them that I only wanted 2 shifts a week and no handball. This was agreed to and I was doing Fri and Mon/Tues. Start about 14.00. Trailer to midlands, drop/swap and return. It was that easy to arrange as I told them what I wanted and what I was prepared to do. No problems as the rules were set before I did the first shift. And the money was good.

I told them what I wanted and what I was prepared to do

This, it seems, is the key

I realised it was possible to get what you want in this industry after watching one of switchlogic’s videos. He basically said “work out what you want and go and get it”. I thought I would get crucified on here for wanting to work flexibly and on my terms but I’ve had some really helpful insights, including yours, thanks.

Would you share the name of the agency you used with me?

Driveress, choose carefully from whom you take advice, particularly in this thread.
One poster has no experience in the last quarter century, yet continues to promote a picture of doom and gloom. He has adopted this attitude because he failed in the industry, due to his aversion to physical activity. Do your own research, on this forum and you’ll find the recurring, bitter theme.
This industry is no different to any other, there are good and bad jobs, employers and employees.
You’ll obviously have to prove yourself, within your parameters, on the bottom rung. Do a decent job and you will progress.
All the best with your endeavours.

Driveress pm sent

Do your own research, on this forum

Done :wink:

I have had differing experience with agencys when i was in warehouses there were good and bad jobs. When i got my licence I went to one agency and they messed me around. I quickly learnt that the best way is to approach a company you might like to work for and find out what agency they use. You might not get placed with said company but you can be fairly sure they wont mess you around.

SWEDISH BLUE:
I signed on to an agency in Exeter. I told them that I only wanted 2 shifts a week and no handball. This was agreed to and I was doing Fri and Mon/Tues. Start about 14.00. Trailer to midlands, drop/swap and return. It was that easy to arrange as I told them what I wanted and what I was prepared to do. No problems as the rules were set before I did the first shift. And the money was good.

^ Proper quality work.

driveress:

I told them what I wanted and what I was prepared to do

This, it seems, is the key

I realised it was possible to get what you want in this industry after watching one of switchlogic’s videos. He basically said “work out what you want and go and get it”. I thought I would get crucified on here for wanting to work flexibly and on my terms but I’ve had some really helpful insights, including yours, thanks.

Bearing in mind that many agencies will have a client base which often creates the antithesis of that business model and jobsearch plan.
Employee resistance will be the only way to make those agencies clean up their act regarding their client choices.
But in and around London all bets are off the crap work is just too well established and dominates the jobmarket.

Star down under.:
Driveress, choose carefully from whom you take advice, particularly in this thread.
One poster has no experience in the last quarter century, yet continues to promote a picture of doom and gloom. He has adopted this attitude because he failed in the industry, due to his aversion to physical activity. Do your own research, on this forum and you’ll find the recurring, bitter theme.
This industry is no different to any other, there are good and bad jobs, employers and employees.
You’ll obviously have to prove yourself, within your parameters, on the bottom rung. Do a decent job and you will progress.
All the best with your endeavours.

Define exactly what type of work you mean by ‘bottom rung’ and what you mean by ‘prove yourself’.
When you’ve answered that question the OP can choose whether to accept your advice or ironically Switchlogic’s combined with that of SWEDISH BLUE’s.

The truth is crap quality work is crap quality work.Accepting that to ‘prove yourself’ will just get you typecast as a mug by both the employers and/or those who want to keep the best work for themselves.It also provides no incentive for agencies to clean up their client base books.

Carryfast:
The truth is crap quality work is crap quality work.Accepting that to ‘prove yourself’ will just get you typecast as a mug by both the employers and/or those who want to keep the best work for themselves.It also provides no incentive for agencies to clean up their client base books.

Well, it’s like this Mr Carryfast. If you join the army, they don’t start you off as a Field Marshal. :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

Well, it’s like this Mr Carryfast. If you join the army, they don’t start you off as a Field Marshal. :stuck_out_tongue:

:laughing: Can you imagine it, Harry? Even Field Marshals have to pass the fitness requirements.

Whatever you do at that point don’t say you want to earn your stripes and will do whatever they want you to do.

I’m going to take your advice too Carryfast. I’m not going to tell anyone that I want to earn my stripes, and I’m not going to be pushed around, but I do expect to…

prove yourself, within your parameters, on the bottom rung. Do a decent job and you will progress.

The bottom rung is a position, a starting point, it’s not a crap job. It needn’t take very long to move up the rungs if you start on the right bottom rung in the first place and commit yourself to learning.

I think that’s the gist of the helpful advice on this thread so far - within the parameters of working with agencies, how to avoid being messed about and how to get where you want to go.

driveress:

Whatever you do at that point don’t say you want to earn your stripes and will do whatever they want you to do.

I’m going to take your advice too Carryfast. I’m not going to tell anyone that I want to earn my stripes, and I’m not going to be pushed around, but I do expect to…

prove yourself, within your parameters, on the bottom rung. Do a decent job and you will progress.

The bottom rung is a position, a starting point, it’s not a crap job. It needn’t take very long to move up the rungs if you start on the right bottom rung in the first place and commit yourself to learning.

I think that’s the gist of the helpful advice on this thread so far - within the parameters of working with agencies, how to avoid being messed about and how to get where you want to go.

What a shame you couldn’t read this post last century, Carryfast.

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

The issue is more one of who is going to volunteer or be ‘voluteered’ to peel the spuds and clean the latrines to earn some ‘stripes’.
While ironically my Father was put to work driving Diamond T tank transporters as soon as he arrived in Italy in the REME.But had no wish to follow his Father into driving trucks at the time or after.
While others who I know bought themselves out of the army having joined up for the RCT but never as much as even saw a truck let alone got assigned to the RCT and given the job of driving one that they joined up for.
But didn’t know the army recruits its Field Marshalls from driving agencies.But it is possible to find ‘driving’ agencies with what are effectively building/warehouse labourer jobs on their books.Which might sometimes involve driving a truck a few miles around the houses in a shift.The fact that they are willing to pay class 1 rates to drive an 18 tonner or less is a give away.

driveress:
not a crap job.

You’ll find out soon enough that forewarned is forearmed in that regard.
In this industry that’s generally exactly what volunteering to start at the ‘bottom’ means.
It also generally means you’ll stay there if you don’t set out your terms from the start in that regard just as SWEDISH BLUE rightly said.

The issue is more one of who is going to volunteer or be ‘voluteered’ to peel the spuds and clean the latrines to earn some ‘stripes’.

Me. It’s inevitable.