Agency Driver Told Me

Muckaway:
What nonsense have agency personnel told you? I’ve heard “I used to fly medical planes in Scotland” (yet gave it up to be a Driver Hire mate for £6.50 p/h). Yesterday I heard “the agency send someone out with me to renegotiate my rate twice a year.” He followed this up with “I earn more than you do as a driver.”
In these cases do you call them a liar and tell them to shut up, or laugh at them?

Had one agency driver mate with me recently.

I was talking of my remortgaging problems and then the trouble with not having a pay slip from said agency for last 5 weeks and bank wanting to know why I wouldn’t declare this income for the mortgage. I was just asking if he had trouble with the payslips too, not too concerned with the bank it was just delaying decision on this etc etc :unamused:

He then pipes up that he was looking to buy a bigger house in x and his missus done a really dood job but she had a baby and wasn’t earning at all (bs monitor starting to go off now - maternity pay it does exist in some capcaity for everyone state/private) and that he had a £75,000 deposit waiting…woah watch that bs go off the scale :laughing:

Then no word of lie, wants to hang the job out, yeah right I’ll jeopardise my job and return requests from the office for me, so you can earn that couple of pounds■■? God have mercy :unamused:

Interestingly then about 3 hours after the deposit quote from said mate, he gets a telephone call from a mate and they are talking. He then says he don’t think he can even afford his rent for the FLAT next month as he has hardly any money coming in or in the bank to pay it off! :unamused:

Why lie, don’t get it, it don’t impress me and why would I need to be impressed. I’d rather heard his mundane life and about his new baby, it’d most probably be more interesting than the lies.

Needless to say my initial problem was solved by agency posting the slips, now being messed around by conveyancers for my small 2 bed flat. Ain’t got that 8 bed mansion yet and private helicopter, that’s in next years budget figures, think I may spread that round the canteen this weekend then :unamused: :unamused: :wink:

C

DAF95XF:

Muckaway:
What nonsense have agency personnel told you? I’ve heard “I used to fly medical planes in Scotland” (yet gave it up to be a Driver Hire mate for £6.50 p/h).

He may be telling the truth - obviously people don’t remember the ex US Airforce pilot called Simon that used to post on here - started off collecting old tyres in a rigid and last I heard was driving artics for Turners :wink:

I can remember him. He used to post pictures up of it aswell

Speaking of aircraft, I overheard a hi-lift (agency) driver telling another one that he got pulled by VOSA -

Airside.

Classic, guess he/she’s grounded then…:slight_smile:

An agency driver told me . . .

An employed driver told me . . .

. . . don’t know . . . don’t listen!

Stan

Pimpdaddy:
Classic, guess he/she’s grounded then…:slight_smile:

:laughing: I hope so!

mickyblue:

DAF95XF:

Muckaway:
What nonsense have agency personnel told you? I’ve heard “I used to fly medical planes in Scotland” (yet gave it up to be a Driver Hire mate for £6.50 p/h).

He may be telling the truth - obviously people don’t remember the ex US Airforce pilot called Simon that used to post on here - started off collecting old tyres in a rigid and last I heard was driving artics for Turners :wink:

I can remember him. He used to post pictures up of it aswell

Proper good laugh he was!!!
He hasn’t posted much on Facebook either…

kr79:
I had an agency dustcaft loader tell me he sold his 250.000 mortgage free house and gave the money to his son who was 16 and told him dont ask me for anything else.

you must have had the same drivers mate as me when i was on agency!!!

really cant be doing with the bul shine! i just used to ignore it turn the radio up and pretend to listen!

It’s better than being embroiled into a conversation about Potatoes, managing one’s allotment, and the poor showing the local footy team put in last Saturday. :frowning: :frowning:

I can see where they are coming from by making up a complete load of ■■■■■■■■ - just so the cohort doesn’t drag up some mundane subject of their own like what I’ve listed above!

(I don’t like footy, I don’t own any land I could grow cress on, and I don’t even look like Mr Potatohead either, unlike many other bods around my way. :neutral_face:

I’ve heard a few over the years. Probably the pick are “I own two mini supermarkets and just drive nights for something to do” and “I’ve got property and a business in the Dominican Republic - the wife looks after those while I’m back here for a couple of months keeping my hand in”.
You’ve got to love 'em…

Most of the agency lads where I have worked have been pretty decent but there have been a few ‘story tellers’ at places I’ve tipped at.

One lad about 18 claimed he had an Audi Quattro which I may have believed until he told me it was customised and had a 12litre engine. I used to go to another place up in Carlisle which was a really tight blind-side reverse and the lad who’d unload you would always tell you he too was a class one driver, he’d often have to back the wagons in himself as most drivers couldn’t do it. He also told of one trip where he’d picked up a load of paper to deliver to an airport and was waved straight onto a waiting cargo plane and had to deliver it himself in Canada … :laughing:

A favourite of mine though was when I was doing tanker work many years ago. There’d been few minor accidents so the firm decided to send an outside company in to give us some ‘driver awareness training’ … I thought my ex-Mrs could talk the ears of ya but this fella who was me for the day would put her to shame. He told me he himself also owned driving schools and would usually deal with much more advanced stuff!!! He also used to be an airline pilot flying 747’s but when I questioned why he’d left he explained that he’d been shagging so many of the girls on there it was just getting to be too much hassle. He’d also went on to drive the road-trains out in Aus, raced drag bikes, practised martial arts, cage fighting and had previously played for a county cricket team. He couldn’t however tell me too much about his military service as a lot of his work was apparently covert :wink:

He’d told the other lads there ‘bs’ stories too, he was so full of [zb] but what an entertaining day and the topic of many conversations in the canteen for weeks later… I thought it was so funny !!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i remember one guy we called space cadet. apparently he went out to the gulf and set up the morse communications on his own in 2 weeks for the RAF after a team had been there 6 months setting it up. unfortunately for him, i was in the signals so i knew the army had binned morse 8 years before this guy had supposedly completed this task. i cant be sure but i would imagine that the RAF would have binned morse at the same time as we did :laughing:

I have been informed I have the agency mate who I mentioned at the start of this thread tomorrow. With the added bonus of delivering around North London. I bet I don’t even reach the Witney Bypass before I get the
“close your window marn, I’m cold…”
“You doing run in de wrong way marn…” (which means “I want to hang de time out to get more money marn…”
(attempted) sparking up of foul smelling rollup.
“I make more money than you marn…”
“switch de radio onto Heart FM marn…”*
*This one will result in said chap walking home.

Muckaway:
I have been informed I have the agency mate who I mentioned at the start of this thread tomorrow. With the added bonus of delivering around North London. I bet I don’t even reach the Witney Bypass before I get the
“You doing run in de wrong way marn…” (which means “I want to hang de time out to get more money marn…”

Would “Mr Agency Mate” happen to be… A coloured gentleman? :unamused:

Winseer:

Muckaway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y

Yes, and he also expected me to reverse down part of Stoke Newingtons’ one way system, red route, during peak time.

Muckaway:

Winseer:

Muckaway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y

Yes, and he also expected me to reverse down part of Stoke Newingtons’ one way system, red route, during peak time.

Think I saw you on the Witney bypass on your way back.

As I said on another thread there used to be an agency driver at York who was reportedly an ex top man at ERF he gave his wages to childrens charities.

I taught a Harrier Pilot to drive a Bedford on detachment once he wanted to be a wagon driver when he was finished going up diddly up.
So if there’s a bloke in the waiting room telling you about sticking a sidewinder into a mirage during the Falklands it might not be that tall a tale as he actually did it.

There was a lad who arrived for his call up to go to Iraq in an Aston Martin and another lad was on £400 a day before tax to match his civvy wage.

One of my agency mates is still at the side of the road I think where I left him

MGB, you did see me if you still drive the Thorntons artic.