Agency Driver P87 Tax Form - What can I claim for?

green456:
also expect them to ask to see your insurance policy for your vehicle and if it aint insured for business use you wont be claiming for it

You don’t need business insurance to commute to work, even if it’s different places of work.

Raz38:

green456:
also expect them to ask to see your insurance policy for your vehicle and if it aint insured for business use you wont be claiming for it

You don’t need business insurance to commute to work, even if it’s different places of work.

if your claiming the mileage allowance as an expense you certainly do

You don’t even need to prove you own a car to claim mileage allowance!

green456:

Raz38:

green456:

if your claiming the mileage allowance as an expense you certainly do

Obviously must be different if driving for an agency, is it classed as self employed?

Usually the initial commute to work and home again isnt classed as business mileage.

I could easily be wrong though, I am going back a few years.

The problem with anything to do with HMRC is that many of it’s employees like to ‘Big-up’ their power. Just like all the ex-SAS drivers and people in every walk of life. I have no doubt whatsoever, that many of the people who have commented on here have been told x, y and z by someone at the tax office at one time and taken it as gospel when in reality, it was just that persons opinion or take on the situation and as I have also found through dealing with various tax offices in 35 yrs running different businesses, many times these people are wrong.
Ring VOSA with a question one day and get one answer, ring back the next day, get another guy and the exact opposite answer. Everything is in that persons opinion at that time. HMRC told me over 30 yrs ago that I can’t drive for several different companies S/E. “Show me that it black and white” I said, they said it was a grey area, I just can’t do it,I must go on each companies books, pay the PAYE and then sort it all out after the end of each financial year. Guess what I told them, I’m still doing it and they have gone away to try and impress someone else with their over-inflated opinion of their powers.

EastAnglianTrucker:
Expect them to turn you down several times

a very big
+1

For those of you who have been turned down once or more times, did you get it in the end?

If so, how?

So Im wrong in thinking that the form needs to be sent off before the 5th of April for the 2011-2012 tax year then and it must be handed in after the 5th?

1ntense:
So Im wrong in thinking that the form needs to be sent off before the 5th of April for the 2011-2012 tax year then and it must be handed in after the 5th?

you can only claim the P87 allowances for a tax year, after the tax year is finished. (may, june & july are the busy periods at HMRC for P87 claims, & can slow payments & processing)
however you could back claim now for the tax years 2010-2011, 2009-2010, 2008-2009 etc up to the limitation on the number of year you can back claim, as previously stated.
The only thing that will happen on 5th April, is that the rolling period will roll over, bringing in 2011-2012 and knocking off the other one at the older end of the rolling period.
so if your considering making a retrospective claim for several years ago … do it now, before its too late

Ah right, good to know.

I was unemployed for a long time previous to getting my Class 2 licence a year ago so the only thing Ive got to claim for is my HGV training course and test from the previous year.

Bit gutted as Ive been off work since xmas due to being car-less and not being able to get to work and the work has dried up in a big way. With only having had my licence for a year, not many agencies will even entertain the idea of giving me work either :frowning:

Anyone know of any good work in the Leicestershire/Northamptonshire areas?