agencies

FreddieSwan:

Pimpdaddy:
Yeah, what he/she said…^^^^^^^^^^

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Least likely person I expected to reply with that. :laughing:

Unfortunately Kemaro you’ve come across a typical non-job. Incredibly vague although I’m amazed they would have it on just to come back and say its been filled… only reason I can think of is that you aren’t quite in their catchment area - but then didn’t they discuss how far you’d be prepared to travel and such? Baffled by the whole point behind that ad if they’re turning you away - unless there’s other undisclosed reasons obviously. Never heard of Proactive Personnel to be honest.

Winseer, you’re right on most parts, however the 6 points is just an insurance thing. I don’t think I’ve come across any agencies that stress clean licences only and offered the same in turn to clients. Not saying it’s not plausible although it does severely restrict the volume of drivers you will attract. On a long term model however, if you built a reputation on it… Hell, thought about running an agency yourself? :wink:

There are some firms that still advertise in the local paper. When I was in Chelmsford, Menzies were advertising every week for part time / casual drivers in the Chronicle and there were others knocking around from time to time. For the sake of £1 a week, it’s not something to be completely disregarded imo.

If I set myself up as a “Recruitment Consultant”, I’d go bust pretty quickly from trying to play it honest - there isn’t enough meat in the full time jobs pool available to actually “recruit” anyone into said full time job!

Personally, I don’t call it “recruitment” when you simply place a random bod into a shift slot starting within 24 hours.
There are a few agencies around who “say” they want clean licence holders only, but when it comes down to it, they are only offering fitness regimes driving rigids around London that a clean licence holder might be flattered enough to pick up in the absence of any C+E work, which of course is offered at a much higher rate because there’s no danger of getting any.
I believe this kind of agency is very popular with ex-service personnel. :wink:
If you like fooling around with a metre cube of drink bottles plastic-wrapped on a pallet on a tiny tail lift, then this is the job for YOU! - You don’t need a bull worker when you have a collis truck and good old gravity to keep your arms looking like Popeye’s! :smiley: :sunglasses: Drop venues include West End stores and mainline railway termini.

As for the subject of “placing people into actual full time work via the agency” - I wonder how much of an agency’s business “filling an actual full time job with one of their own people” actually involves?
“Not Much at Present” I’m thinking. :frowning:

Just had a look on the JC website and out of the first page of 18 jobs advertised, there was only one non agency job and that was with Rhys Davies. The add says “good basic rate of pay” £7.10 :unamused:

Half the agencies I’ve never herd of.

Rew:
Just had a look on the JC website and out of the first page of 18 jobs advertised, there was only one non agency job and that was with Rhys Davies. The add says “good basic rate of pay” £7.10 :unamused:

Half the agencies I’ve never herd of.

If it’s a proper full time job, rather than pretending to be one, then £7.10 isn’t a basic rate of pay anyways, since it’s clearly an hourly rate, and a crap one at that.

A “Basic pay” is what you get for working your basic hours. Amounts like £250, or £500 etc etc.
No full time job = No basic pay. Rhys Davies? More like Rhys Jones for how laughable it is… :stuck_out_tongue:

RIP Mel Smith.

macci:

kemaro:
This job was on the website for my area so I thought I would ring to enquire as I know the area & know there’s not many places , if any doing store deliveries based down this way, they wouldn’t give me any info just wanted me to send in cv & put me down as available , available for what I asked , if anything comes up in my area she said , but I thought you had q job here , that’s what’s being advertised, guess what, those positions have been filled … yeah right …

HGV 2 Drivers
Job description
We are currently looking for HGV 2 Drivers to work for our prestigious client; Monday — Friday on Days. Duties will include store deliveries and some manual handling will be required.

Rate of pay is £8 per hour with possible overtime.

The successful applicant must have a digi card and no more than 6 points on licence.

Please contact Tasmin or Charles on 01244 222000 for an immediate interview or email CV to Tasmin.turner @ proactivepersonnel.net or   charles.wood @ proactivepersonnel.net

jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob. … g=5&AVSDM=

Apparently the job went in two days mate. I was told it was a job that delivered "heavy stuff like, heavy items that needed lifting :open_mouth: ". Double manned as well by all accounts. £8 is a good rate class 2 west wales area btw.

The point of this post is to highlight that there is no job on offer, I have an email alert for jobs & rang up 10 mins after it went live & was told its been filled but they will take my details & put me down as available , then they got shirty when I asked a lot of questions about the job & employer , I know the area well , I live & work here , if there was a job on offer of this nature by an employer I would have an idea who it was, there are no companies that do store deliveries based here , their website looks a bit ropey too, no contact details! I guess they are just looking to get names so they can go to employers & say we can supply your drivers …

I’ve seen it happen before where agency approaches small firm & says why have drivers full time even when your quiet , get rid off them & we will supply drivers for you , look we have all these names in your area looking for work , no hassle of sick pay , holiday pay , trying to cover drivers when off etc & when its quiet you just have what you need , & £8 may be a good rate for a cleaner down this way but it is still a poor wage really , here or anywhere …

truckman20:
how many other drivers have looked at the jobcentre website and other sites looking for a full time job only to see nothing but agencies all the way down and some repeating their advert about 6 or 7 times it is so frustrating when you want a full time job away from an agency,i myself am an agency driver in swindon and that is all i see every time i go on these websites,i am registered with at least 5 agencies and get work only with one,two of the worst agencies are go easy [i think thats what they are called] and ADR network, the jobcentre is useless [has been for a number of years] go on gumtree they are exactly the same [agencies]seems i cannot win,still it will probably get worse, as people say THATS LIFE,

google EDDOLLS in Swindon, :sunglasses: ask for bob :laughing: and tell him nelly sent you! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: you’ll get a full time job :smiley:

FreddieSwan:
Where do you find work? - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK
i do have to update my cv,but cheers for that anyway
Going to be quite blunt about the JobCentre in terms of, it’s useless for HGV drivers. You may find the odd 7.5t but it’s incredibly rare you’ll see a HGV2 / 1 position advertised direct. They also don’t really like dealing with agencies until a change fairly recently due to the nature of the job market. JobCentre Plus centres make their best dealings by placing candidates in permanent vacancies as there are government grants and such available to businesses that take on 6 month+ unemployed.

Due to such a vast presence of agency, firms are finding it’s somewhat easier to use agencies to deal with both their temporary and permanent requirements. Most temp agencies make the mistake of not inquiring about permanent vacancies and therefore don’t always have the opportunities available that they could have.

The best means of finding yourself a permanent job is investing the time in your days off to research your local hauliers, big and small, prepare a decent CV (by decent I mean slightly more than ‘NAME. NUMBER. CAT LISC’, and yes, I do see these daily). Make yourself presentable, put your boots & hi-vis in your car, turn out at the ones that you’d like to work for (ultimately, any that you want to work for you’ll do more to impress and up your chances of getting a job) and ask to speak to the transport manager. A lot of the time you’ll have the opportunity to sit down with them, alternatively if you can get your CV in their hand, make sure you have their number and give them a couple of days before calling just to speculatively inquire about current vacancies.

Proactivity is the ultimate tool in successful job hunting.

rgt1973:
Just got to keep on looking! Jobs do come up but you are not wrong about the amount of agency adverts. Have just landed a new job myself, not via jobcentre but on Indeed. Found that to be the best site for jobs, but you do have to sift through a mountain of agency s@#t to find the decent jobs! Good things come to those who wait and put in the effort to apply! Make sure your cv is up to date as well , the days of them not looking at them has gone! Even small companies are being picky so you need to sell yourself! Good luck, and don’t give up!

thanks

to everybody who replied,just like to say thanks,i will get something eventually,just got to keep trying,cheers