aec

1963 photo of a Nicol of Coatbridge Mandator with a load of pipes used in construction of a national gas distribution grid, these Nicol Mk.Vs were a common site with their long trailers for those years. It must have been a good contract to have.

Air Products Mandator registered in 1965 returning from Belgium

1965 Mandator of Hanson of Huddersfield on the ICI Dyestuffs contract with a new trailer to take advantage of the longer length applicable from late 1965.

Taken in 1964, an AEC publicity photo of a Mandator of Caborundum from Trafford Park Manchester on night trunk duties to the company’s Birmingham depot.

A bit like a hammer with a new head and shaft at various times, this Mandator was still in service in Australia in 1991, nearly 30 years after it was built. Converted to 6x4 layout by R.W. Brown & Co. its owners, it was later re-engined with an AEC AV760 mated to a 15-speed Fuller compound two-stick gearbox.

Bollekens cabbed Mk.V drawbar outfit in service in Belgium

No comments needed!

Mk V 8.jpg

I would have liked to have a had a shift in this MK5 Graham. :smiley:
I once got a lift in a tilt cab Mandator belonging to W H Martin of Brigg.It had a Fuller box and the difference in performance compared to a normal 6-speed was remarkable going over Woodhead.

Chris Webb:
I once got a lift in a tilt cab Mandator belonging to W H Martin of Brigg.It had a Fuller box and the difference in performance compared to a normal 6-speed was remarkable going over Woodhead.

Yes Chris, it would have been an interesting experience.

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

Have you heard of a company called William Knowles of Bolton Graham, I would imagine they are long gone but theres a photo of an AEC Monarch of theirs in the latest supplement from Vintage Roadscene , AEC The Commercial Vehicles From Southall , I havent read it all yet but I keep coming across some great photos many previously unreleased

J E Upton of Matlock

ramone:

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

Have you heard of a company called William Knowles of Bolton Graham, I would imagine they are long gone but theres a photo of an AEC Monarch of theirs in the latest supplement from Vintage Roadscene , AEC The Commercial Vehicles From Southall , I havent read it all yet but I keep coming across some great photos many previously unreleased

William Knowles was a pre-nationalisation business, that never started up again. The Monarch photo has been around for a good number of years in various early AEC articles.

Hitmanesk:
J E Upton of Matlock

That’s a great photo, and I remember the Mammoth Major unit of Upton. Is that location on the climb up from Ashbourne? If it is it’s a serious hill!

gingerfold:

Hitmanesk:
J E Upton of Matlock

That’s a great photo, and I remember the Mammoth Major unit of Upton. Is that location on the climb up from Ashbourne? If it is it’s a serious hill!

No, it’s the climb out of Tarmac’s Cawdor quarry in Matlock. He will be loaded with asphalt blocks from Permanite, all long gone now and that ramp is now the footpath into Sainsburys store. More info on the Peak District thread. John ran many AEC’s, artics and rigids.

Pete.

windrush:

gingerfold:

Hitmanesk:
J E Upton of Matlock

No, it’s the climb out of Tarmac’s Cawdor quarry in Matlock. He will be loaded with asphalt blocks from Permanite, all long gone now and that ramp is now the footpath into Sainsburys store. More info on the Peak District thread. John ran many AEC’s, artics and rigids.

Pete.

Thanks Pete, I stand corrected. I should have enlarged the photo earlier. I thought that was the bridge in the background that goes over the road at… is it Fenny Bentley? I’m dredging my memory here, I haven’t been along that road for at least 20 years.

gingerfold:
Thanks Pete, I stand corrected. I should have enlarged the photo earlier. I thought that was the bridge in the background that goes over the road at… is it Fenny Bentley? I’m dredging my memory here, I haven’t been along that road for at least 20 years.

The ‘bridge’ on the pic is taking the railway across the Derwent, it might just be fencing though as I think the actual bridge is further along? At the time of that photo the rails had gone but were reinstated later when Peak Rail opened the line through to Rowsley again. A by-pass crosses that site now. The old disused rail bridge at Fenny Bentley bridge on the A515 (higher on one side than the other if you knew about it!) was replaced with a footbridge several years ago to allow high vehicles to pass.

Pete.

windrush:

gingerfold:

The ‘bridge’ on the pic is taking the railway across the Derwent, it might just be fencing though as I think the actual bridge is further along? At the time of that photo the rails had gone but were reinstated later when Peak Rail opened the line through to Rowsley again. A by-pass crosses that site now. The old disused rail bridge at Fenny Bentley bridge on the A515 (higher on one side than the other if you knew about it!) was replaced with a footbridge several years ago to allow high vehicles to pass.

Pete.

Fenny Bentley bridge was a dangerous trap for the unwary , we could actually bring a 15 ft trailer uphill but only 13 9 downhill . Obviously wait until it was clear and use the wrong side downhill . There was a jobsworth plod who insisted that because it said 13 9 we couldn’t use the road . He threatened to ticket us but backed down when we challenged him . I think a complaint was made to the council about mis signing but I packed up before it was sorted .

Nick Baldwin completes his second part of the history of AEC in Classic and Vintage Commercials magazine this month . A brief outline of the company with a few interesting photos

Expecting the cold, heaters on, not my photo. Les.

Very early Ergo cabbed Mandator with the mirror arms fixed to the door. It has received a later style bottom grille.

TM4.jpg

Mandator Cover.jpg

Man 2.jpg

Man 7.jpg