aec

How long did it take you to get to London in those days Larry from Newcastle

I just got my Pat Kennet AEC book through the post. I have a few now :sunglasses:

ramone:

Well these MK 5s had the 11.3 Engine, But they were flat out at 37 MPH. With a 5 speed box, London was a nine & a half hour job, The only reason I worked there was because they allways paid good wages & expences, Of course my Great Uncle Isaac Smiles who was my Grandad Smiles younger brother owned Smiles for Miles then run by his family, Good gear, Good work, Some drivers had 30 years service with them, The good old days, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
RJR 349, & Me 1n 1963 , 28 years old & Happy as Larry loaded for London Docks, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , The good old days, Regards Larry.00

Hiya Larry hope your well ,I’ve pressed the like button :smiley: regards Dan’l.

Hi Dan, Nice to hear from you, Im keeping very well, Just having a few Single Malts before I retire for the night, When I look back to my driving days in the 50/60s with slow motors , I drove an Old Atki with a 5 potter Gardener in flat out 32 MPH. with a Dyson trailer hung on its tail, Crawler gear going over Shap when loading in Manchester for Rutherglen, Hard work but the money was good so I just got on with it till better things came along,Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Dan, Nice to hear from you, Im keeping very well, Just having a few Single Malts before I retire for the night, When I look back to my driving days in the 50/60s with slow motors , I drove an Old Atki with a 5 potter Gardener in flat out 32 MPH. with a Dyson trailer hung on its tail, Crawler gear going over Shap when loading in Manchester for Rutherglen, Hard work but the money was good so I just got on with it till better things came along,Regards Larry.

Well I’ve just murdered a 750 ml bottle of Mont Blanc blonde I bought there whilst passing through a yr ago :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Well I’ve just murdered a 750 ml bottle of Mont Blanc blonde I bought there whilst passing through a yr ago :smiley:

You little Devil :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

ramone:

Well these MK 5s had the 11.3 Engine, But they were flat out at 37 MPH. With a 5 speed box, London was a nine & a half hour job, The only reason I worked there was because they allways paid good wages & expences, Of course my Great Uncle Isaac Smiles who was my Grandad Smiles younger brother owned Smiles for Miles then run by his family, Good gear, Good work, Some drivers had 30 years service with them, The good old days, Regards Larry.

I’m sure my dad said it was 11 hours to London from Bradford in those days , mind he had a 9.6 and 5 speed box and a trailer on that really slowed it down

ramone:
I’m sure my dad said it was 11 hours to London from Bradford in those days , mind he had a 9.6 and 5 speed box and a trailer on that really slowed it down

That was about right, Harrisons of Dewsbury and Hansons Huddersfield were the trunk motors from this area, down to London one night, return the following night. Shunters at both ends to do the deliveries and the re loading.
AEC Mk3 MM and a drawbar trailer.
Joe Tinker at Harrisons had a Leyland Steer.

hi, Larry, cheers for the comments ,and great to see you and all the other lads at drivers do in the labour club last month,sorry i was a bit late ,but had to work all day ,but still got to catch up with a few lads that where still there when i arrived,also thnk you for the drink you bought me, i owe you one at the next get together ,. cheers ,Paul

Mammoth Minor, yes no :question:
Oily

oiltreader:
Oily

Looks like a Mammoth Major 6 Oily

ramone:

oiltreader:
Oily

Looks like a Mammoth Major 6 Oily

Ta for that ramone :smiley:
Oily

Mammoth Major Six MkIII to give it the proper title, built from 1948-53.

FB_IMG_1570799063444.jpg
Stands well!! Nmp

coomsey:
Stands well!! Nmp

Hiya,
Drove an outfit identical to this one aged just 21 never did manage to get my
hands on a Mk5 pulling a trailer but did do a bit on a solo 8 wheeler Mk5.

coomsey:
Stands well!! Nmp

I’ve got a shilling that says that’s loaded out of London Docks for delivery to Bradford. Must have been a long hot summer, unsheeted with the folded sheets roped on top. Wet bales of wool were very much fround on at the delivery warehouses

When I first started at Harrisons they had a few MM’s and drawbars, I did a bit of ‘trailer mate’ duty around the local area on daytime shunting.

coomsey:
Stands well!! Nmp

Well loaded too there was an art to loading wool

The Hanson Mammoth Major Eight Mk.III was on its second life as flat and drawbar outfit. Its first life had been as a tanker on the ICI contract.