aec

Came across this a couple of days ago. I doubt if anyone can help, but someone might want to buy one before they are scrapped. I am guessing these are only being put out to grass because the insurance company insist.

middx.net/aec/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=835

cav551:
Came across this a couple of days ago. I doubt if anyone can help, but someone might want to buy one before they are scrapped. I am guessing these are only being put out to grass because the insurance company insist.

If they have only done 100 hours, then it’s a simple job of outbidding (or paying a mark-up to) the scrap man, or am I too much of a simpleton?

AEC Regent Fuel-002.jpgAEC publicity photograph taken outside West Ham Municipal Baths in 1962 showing a brand new AEC Mammoth Major 8, Reg No 713 AUV, which was operated by Pickfords on contract to Regent Fuel Oils.

moomooland:
0One from Australia operated by Brambles.

This one appears to have a too-narrow front axle. What is the reason for that?

An AEC 8 wheel fuel oil tanker that I recall was parked outside Halifax Municipal baths while Tom Ward (driver) went to look for the boilerman. It was a Mk 3, large ratchet handbrake. When Tom came back to it…it wasn’t where he had left it. Foolishly he’d left the handbrake in the pulled back position, he jump out, off he went, and sometime later the handbrake dropped forward, knocked the ratchet off, and off the Mk 3 went, down the street…by itself.
The damage was ‘considerable’, but luckily no injuries. :smiley:

grumpy old man:

Same thing happened here in Blackburn when an ERF KV tanker ran away and finished up in the side of this house on Hickory Street. :blush:

grumpy old man:
An AEC 8 wheel fuel oil tanker that I recall was parked outside Halifax Municipal baths while Tom Ward (driver) went to look for the boilerman. It was a Mk 3, large ratchet handbrake. When Tom came back to it…it wasn’t where he had left it. Foolishly he’d left the handbrake in the pulled back position, he jump out, off he went, and sometime later the handbrake dropped forward, knocked the ratchet off, and off the Mk 3 went, down the street…by itself.

:laughing: :laughing:
Aye same thing happened in A E Evans’ depot in Sheffield once. Fitters got a MK3 ready to go over t’pit for service and left it ticking over with handbrake in bakkards position…………it slid forward with a “clunk” and away she trundled down the yard and through the gate,stopping just before the main road. :grimacing:

Chris Webb:

grumpy old man:

:laughing: :laughing:
Aye same thing happened in A E Evans’ depot in Sheffield once. Fitters got a MK3 ready to go over t’pit for service and left it ticking over with handbrake in bakkards position…………it slid forward with a “clunk” and away she trundled down the yard and through the gate,stopping just before the main road. :grimacing:

It did well to get itself through the gate Chris.

[zb]
anorak:

moomooland:
0One from Australia operated by Brambles.

This one appears to have a too-narrow front axle. What is the reason for that?

I think that the angle of the camera relative to the AEC exaggerates the narrowness. Mandator front axles were narrow and the front wings did have a few inches to spare. Power assisted steering axles were wider and looked much better, filling the front wing arches.

gingerfold:
I think that the angle of the camera relative to the AEC exaggerates the narrowness. Mandator front axles were narrow and the front wings did have a few inches to spare. Power assisted steering axles were wider and looked much better, filling the front wing arches.

You can see that quite clearly in this Ferrymasters picture…

[zb]
anorak:

cav551:

If they have only done 100 hours, then it’s a simple job of outbidding (or paying a mark-up to) the scrap man, or am I too much of a simpleton?

There were some AVT 1100s overhauled in a power station in Eire, probably about 10 years ago now. A couple of former AEC men went over to strip them down and rebuild them with new parts, where necessary, so there will be spare parts still available somewhere.

This AEC Mandator 6 wheeler was still on the road earning its keep in Montevideo Uruguay in 1999.

AEC Bowaters.jpg

This 1972 registered AEC Mandator was unusual in the fact that it was painted in Scott’s of Oldham livery but
was in fact a sub contract vehicle owned by Fred Bennett.
It is pictured here parked in Scott’s Pine Mill yard in Oldham next to the loading bays with a load of sheeted
steel cages from Delta Cables in nearby Chadderton…
YCW 184L was the only tractor unit in Scott’s livery to have a sleeper cab.

moomooland:
0This 1972 registered AEC Mandator was unusual in the fact that it was painted in Scott’s of Oldham livery but
was in fact a sub contract vehicle owned by Fred Bennett.
It is pictured here parked in Scott’s Pine Mill yard in Oldham next to the loading bays with a load of sheeted
steel cages from Delta Cables in nearby Chadderton…
YCW 184L was the only tractor unit in Scott’s livery to have a sleeper cab.

I looked twice when i saw this ,i thought it was a Speirs of Melksham motor at first , i dont know where you keep finding these gems but keep em coming :wink:

A Swiss AEC with Fritz Schar. Robert

ramone:
I looked twice when i saw this ,i thought it was a Speirs of Melksham motor at first , i dont know where you keep finding these gems but keep em coming :wink:

Yes at first glance i have often had to look twice as Speirs livery was rather similar to Scotts.

a1-001.JPG

28-03-2009 13;00;36.JPGThe late Ronnie Scott, who passed away in 1980, is seen here next to brand new AEC Mercury 4X2 tractor unit Reg No PBU 800F.
This was one of nine AEC Mercury tractor unit’s that Scott’s of Oldham acquired during 1967 and was, at the time, the newly designed AEC with a tilting Ergomatic cab.
The photograph was taken at the entrance of Pine Mill on Sherwood Street in Oldham which was Scott’s depot for many years.

AEC 690 mixer Continental stand 1967 International Motor Show Brussels..jpgAEC 690 mixer pictured on the Continental stand at the 1967 International Motor Show Brussels.

AEC Tunnel Cement.jpg

AEC publicity-001.jpg

J.T. Blackwell AEC Mustang “Chinese Six”. Approximately 350 Mustangs were built, AV470 engine with either a 5-speed direct top synchro gearbox, or the later ones had a 6-speed constant mesh O/D 'box. All Mustangs were built at the former Maudslay plant at Alcester. the photo is a nice period setting.

gingerfold:
J.T. Blackwell AEC Mustang “Chinese Six”. Approximately 350 Mustangs were built, AV470 engine with either a 5-speed direct top synchro gearbox, or the later ones had a 6-speed constant mesh O/D 'box. All Mustangs were built at the former Maudslay plant at Alcester. the photo is a nice period setting.

We serviced a couple of Mustangs operated by Gillette in Reading, can’t tell you which g’box they had though but the boxvans themselves were plain blue livery with no writing anywhere!

Pete.