AEC V8

ERF:

ramone:
…It goes to show no matter how much they tried to dress the Leylands up with their updated cabs the customer could see through them and voted with their feet

Something I’ve often wondered is why AEC were supplied with the basic Ergomatic cab by Joseph Sankey Ltd for general home market vehicle production, when Leyland were supplied with the deluxe version, and that was (generally) fitted as standard across their respective range.

The basic cab was single skinned at the rear and is therefore slightly lighter, and had less equipment (no opening fresh air vents etc), but why were Leyland’s equipped with the better spec cab?.

The special AEC Mandator V8 cab was a based on the deluxe version, and indeed AEC did fit the deluxe cab for some export markets, but was the decision to supply home market AEC customers with a basic cab taken at Southall or Leyland, I wonder?.

I think AEC was fitting the first version of the ergo right up until the end and often wondered why this was even though the improvements to the Leyland versions were very basic. They had the Marathon cab which surely could have been lowered and given a much better driving environment than the basic ergo in either version

In Heritage Commercial magazine their have been some interesting letters recently from fitters who worked on these engines. This months issue has a piece about engine removal, AEC said that the cab had to be removed completely but the fitter and his apprentice managed it by just tilting it forward and AEC photographed it while they did it! Pic is in the mag.

Pete.

ramone:

ERF:

ramone:
…It goes to show no matter how much they tried to dress the Leylands up with their updated cabs the customer could see through them and voted with their feet

Something I’ve often wondered is why AEC were supplied with the basic Ergomatic cab by Joseph Sankey Ltd for general home market vehicle production, when Leyland were supplied with the deluxe version, and that was (generally) fitted as standard across their respective range.

The basic cab was single skinned at the rear and is therefore slightly lighter, and had less equipment (no opening fresh air vents etc), but why were Leyland’s equipped with the better spec cab?.

The special AEC Mandator V8 cab was a based on the deluxe version, and indeed AEC did fit the deluxe cab for some export markets, but was the decision to supply home market AEC customers with a basic cab taken at Southall or Leyland, I wonder?.

I think AEC was fitting the first version of the ergo right up until the end and often wondered why this was even though the improvements to the Leyland versions were very basic. They had the Marathon cab which surely could have been lowered and given a much better driving environment than the basic ergo in either version

The question of what cab AEC would have used if they had not been subsumed by Leyland has always intrigued me. Unquestionably the Ergomatic cab was a Leyland initiative and until late 1965 / early 1966 when AEC fitted the Ergo cab they had been chassis producers that a multitude of coach builders provided cabs for. AEC provided basic cab drawings that the coach builders used, often with their own “artistic licence”. I have never found any evidence that AEC was considering a standard cab design before the Leyland takeover. The other strange thing about the Ergomatic cab is the question of why Leyland, with all its manufacturing resource, didn’t build it themselves. Leyland commissioned the design from Michelotti yet contracted Joseph Sankey to build them. Why?

gingerfold:
The question of what cab AEC would have used if they had not been subsumed by Leyland has always intrigued me. Unquestionably the Ergomatic cab was a Leyland initiative and until late 1965 / early 1966 when AEC fitted the Ergo cab they had been chassis producers that a multitude of coach builders provided cabs for. AEC provided basic cab drawings that the coach builders used, often with their own “artistic licence”. I have never found any evidence that AEC was considering a standard cab design before the Leyland takeover. The other strange thing about the Ergomatic cab is the question of why Leyland, with all its manufacturing resource, didn’t build it themselves. Leyland commissioned the design from Michelotti yet contracted Joseph Sankey to build them. Why?

Leyland had bought Standard Triumph in 1960. Michelotti had worked on the Triumph Herald, so he probably came cheap! Leyland did not do presswork; the LAD was made by Motor Panels. A wild guess- was Sankey a Standard Triumph supplier? The Ergo was Michelotti’s best work, IMO. The cars he drew were ugly, and the cheesegrater Scammell was no great beauty either.

I did not realise that there was a “cheapo” single-skinned version of the Ergo, as well as the fibreglass version. Michelotti’s artistry was certainly spread thinly! The V8 had the ultimate version- a walk-through floor and space for two bunks under the standard roof, without jacking the shed into the sky. Consideration of the difficulties caused by the engine’s compact dimensions must be tempered with that.

[zb]
anorak:

gingerfold:

Leyland had bought Standard Triumph in 1960. Michelotti had worked on the Triumph Herald, so he probably came cheap! Leyland did not do presswork; the LAD was made by Motor Panels. A wild guess- was Sankey a Standard Triumph supplier? The Ergo was Michelotti’s best work, IMO. The cars he drew were ugly, and the cheesegrater Scammell was no great beauty either.

I did not realise that there was a “cheapo” single-skinned version of the Ergo, as well as the fibreglass version. Michelotti’s artistry was certainly spread thinly! The V8 had the ultimate version- a walk-through floor and space for two bunks under the standard roof, without jacking the shed into the sky. Consideration of the difficulties caused by the engine’s compact dimensions must be tempered with that.

Pressed Steel Fisher was a big Leyland group pressworks, but to the best of my knowledge they made pressings (and complete body structures) for everything except lorries!. Even DMU bodies for British Rail were pressed there.

They had three factory sites, but I would guess they just didn’t have the capacity to make lorry cabs when BL car building was at it’s peak.

It’s an interesting point that ‘gingerfold’ raises with regard to Leyland.
Which UK heavy lorry manufacturers did entirely manufacture their own cabs?
Bedford perhaps?.
Foden did, but only composite cabs and very basic dumper steel structures. Their steel cabs were supplied by Motor Panels.
ERF, but their cab building operation originated from the JH Jennings business, and again focused on composite cabs, with steel frames and steel cab pressings supplied by Motor Panels. Seddon Atkinson was similar.
Guy were supplied again by MP, so was Scammell, so I would say it’s a pretty safe bet that if AEC had not been a user of the Sankey Ergomatic, MP could well have been the favoured cab supplier.

At the lighter end of the market, the BL Freight Rover (Sherpa) van operation at Washwood Heath had a big pressworks, so their body operation was largely in house.

I would still like to hear the opinion of you chaps as to why AEC fitted the basic cab, and Leyland the deluxe version. Do we think it was just a weight thing, or were AEC made to use the lower spec cab to generate the perception of the Leyland product as superior?.

In 2015 my own V8 cab went back to the GKN (former Joseph Sankey) plant where it was built to be E coated. At that time they were mainly producing Land Rover wheels and chassis frames. It is a huge complex, but many of the buildings on site were unoccupied. You could really get an impression of how busy it must have been there in the 1960’s and 70’s with cab, lorry wheel and lorry chassis rail production in full swing.

Pressed Steel Fisher were a part of BMH, which did not merge with Leyland until 1968, so Leyland would not have automatically gone to them for the Ergo presswork. Prior to the LAD cab, Leyland’s own cabs were crude coachbuilt affairs, with no “serious” presswork.

Leyland had of course built complete double deck bus bodies in-house in the 1930s and continued building lorry cabs until the introduction of LAD cabbed models in 1958 / 59. The Comet 90 and Octopus 22/O1 and 24/O1 had Leyland built cabs. The bonneted Comet was a Briggs cab, used also by Ford and Dodge.

Yes, ERF, AEC had to use the cheapest version of the Ergo cab at the behest of Leyland, who did believe that they were the superior of the two companies. Having said that I don’t know if the AEC cabs had different sound proofing because the Mercury’s I was familiar with were much quieter than the Ergo cabbed Super Comet that was in the same small fleet. That was replaced by a headless wonder Leyland Lynx, which was also noisier than an AV505. When I had my Spiers Mandator after a couple of hours driving that my ears were beginning to protest.

Did Albion use the more ‘basic’ Ergo cab or the Leyland version, they did seem very similar with the narrow front wings etc. I find this interesting I served my time on AEC’s and most of that at a dealers yet I wasn’t aware there were different cabs used on the three marques! However it doesn’t surprise me that Leyland would hold sway over others in the whole set up, they seemed to act more like a school bully. Board meetings must have been very frustrating for the non Leyland members that’s if they ever attended any in the first place. Franky.

That kind of thing is human nature, give AEC a lower quality cab, reduce their research budget/timetable etc. Translate it to a transport firm with multiple depots, the lads at the main yard are going to send all the scruffy trailers to the depots and keep the good ones for themselves.

However that one point underlines why the blame for the whole BL fiasco lies at the feet of the man in charge, he should’ve had the best interests of the group in mind and prevented that kind of thing.

Does anyone recall if the double skinned cab rusted away more than the cheaper version? That would be poetic justice of sorts.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Leyland used the high datum cab which I would guess to be the double skinned version , then later they updated it with plastic brown interior fittings and a new style bonnet cover something the AEC version never got

Frankydobo:
Did Albion use the more ‘basic’ Ergo cab or the Leyland version, they did seem very similar with the narrow front wings etc. I find this interesting I served my time on AEC’s and most of that at a dealers yet I wasn’t aware there were different cabs used on the three marques! However it doesn’t surprise me that Leyland would hold sway over others in the whole set up, they seemed to act more like a school bully. Board meetings must have been very frustrating for the non Leyland members that’s if they ever attended any in the first place. Franky.

Yes Franky, Albion also had the basic cab and some of the Albion Ergo models had a fixed cab version, which must have made the engines in those lorries a nightmare to work on.

Frankydobo:

Yes Franky, Albion also had the basic cab and some of the Albion Ergo models had a fixed cab version, which must have made the engines in those lorries a nightmare to work on.

Double post

There were at least three variations of the standard Ergomatic cab produced before the high datum versions appeared.

At the very bottom of the pile was what Leyland called the ‘lightweight fixed cab’, which as the name suggests, didn’t even tilt!. This cab could be removed for major servicing and was allegedly made of thinner gauge steel than the standard Ergomatic cabs. Whether that’s true I wouldn’t like to say, can we really see Sankey’s tooling up to make thinner gauge cab panels? These cabs had no centre rear window (the pressing was there, but it wasn’t pierced for the glass), no padding on the dash top, the wiper motor cover, the door air ducts or the engine bonnet. It was available to special order on the Leyland Comet, Super Comet and Albion’s.

The middle cab was the ‘lightweight tilt cab’, the standard cab used by AEC and Albion for home market vehicles. These had the black padded dash top, wiper motor cover, door ducts and engine bonnet.

The top spec cab was the ‘standard weight deluxe tilt cab’ the standard cab used by Leyland also available on export AEC’s. In addition to the standard features, these cabs also had the fully double skinned back panel, two sping loaded fresh air vents in the front panel and…ashtrays!.

Sadly they all rust at the same alarming rate.
Many Leyland’s on the rally scene today have been re-cabbed with ex Ministry of Defense AEC cabs, easy to spot when you know what to look for.

The MoD actually ran an Ergomatic Cab reconditioning programme between circa 1987 and 1990. It was operated by 27 REME Workshop at Warminster. They would bring in old rusty cabs, cut them apart and rebuild them with a mix of good parts from other cabs and new panels as required. 27 REME had priority over all remaining Ergomatic Cab panels still showing as in stock by Leyland at Chorley, and in main dealers inventory, and it is said that they cleaned out every place they could find still stocking available panels.

gingerfold:
…Having said that I don’t know if the AEC cabs had different sound proofing because the Mercury’s I was familiar with were much quieter than the Ergo cabbed Super Comet that was in the same small fleet…

I just wonder if the Super Comet you refer to was a basic fixed cab variant? It seems possible, as these had no sound proofing at all!.

As I posted earlier AEC had envisaged complete cab removal for the V8 engine removal. When two fitters managed to do it without by simply tilting it and removing the engine rearwards the workshop manual had to be re-written, pics are in this months HC mag. We had an Albion four wheeler at Tilcon on internal duties, an ex Oxted Greystone Lime tanker, and that had the fixed cab but it was no more difficult to work on than any other fixed cab truck from that period such as Foden S39/S40 etc.

Pete.

If Leyland & AEC used the same cab apart from one being double skinned, would one have been structurally weaker at the rear of the cab & explain why the rear cab tilt fixing methods were different between the two manufacturers.

Dave…

dave docwra:
If Leyland & AEC used the same cab apart from one being double skinned, would one have been structurally weaker at the rear of the cab & explain why the rear cab tilt fixing methods were different between the two manufacturers.

Technically the double skinned cab is stronger at the rear. If you slam the door of a deluxe cab it shuts with a nice clunk, whereas the standard cab sounds quite tinny in comparison!.

The actual rear cab mounting feet are identical between all Ergomatic cab types (including high datum), but the AEC and Leyland methods of attaching the lifting crossmember do differ slightly, as you say. Personally I think it was just down to design variation between the two manufacturers.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but…
youtube.com/watch?v=gmRl4nhEOHE
The engine sounds bloody beautiful. The lads in the cab are obviously in raptures.