AEC V8

And if anyone fancies a big but surely worthy project then this Marshal 8 still survives!

[/quote]
wow!!

if that’s surviving i’ll never complain about my aches and pains again :smiley: :smiley: think i’ll sign up for the British Olympic gymnastics team !!!

i feel kind of sad when i see quality motors like this left to rot away :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Pat

Again dont know if its a V8 ?

No, it’s a AV760, the engine cover is visible through the windscreen.

DEANB:
Again dont know if its a V8 ?

That looks like Lisbon docks with the Tagus bridge in the background. Robert

This is worth a read, if it has not been mentioned before:
flickr.com/photos/62532775@N03/16118748387
There is a bit more detail about the crank bearing developments, and a more specific description of the coolant flow issue.

Would those sleeper V8s have double bunks, or was that luxury reserved for the ice-cream van version?

Probably just a single bunk. The link you provided is interesting but doesn’t give much new information, we’ve covered everything previously in this thread. Just a point on the large engine powered Ergomatic AECs, what was known as a twin-pass radiator and cooling system was developed that was more efficient than single pass system.

One for Gingerfold here! I know it’s not V8 but the search facility on here doesn’t recognise AEC as a word, so typing ‘AEC Mark 5’ in to find the right thread was a non-starter. Cheers, Robert

ju58.jpg

A nice photo Robert. The Mk.V range was arguably AEC at its best. Registered in 1965 this Mandator was one of the final MkVs before replacement with the Ergomatic range. Some of the last Mk.Vs did have the new AV691 engine fitted.

I know it’s nearly a full year since anyone posted on this thread, but if anyone is interested there is a video (link below) of our AEC V8 engine running back in Febuary this year after a very difficult two-year restoration (yes, just the engine has taken two years!).

It has been undoubtedly the most comprehensive rebuild and re-engineering of an AEC V8 in recent years, in all probability since the AEC development days of the 1960’s!.

As I say, if it is of interest, I will write up all the faults we found - both design and failures, and what we did to improve or rectify them using modern technology and engine machining processes. It will be quite a long story, and full of technical detail that I know most people find rather boring!.

Click the ‘play’ arrow in the middle of the black page, and it will play…

flickr.com/photos/75262259@ … ateposted/

ERF:
I know it’s nearly a full year since anyone posted on this thread, but if anyone is interested there is a video (link below) of our AEC V8 engine running back in Febuary this year after a very difficult two-year restoration (yes, just the engine has taken two years!).

It has been undoubtedly the most comprehensive rebuild and re-engineering of an AEC V8 in recent years, in all probability since the AEC development days of the 1960’s!.

As I say, if it is of interest, I will write up all the faults we found - both design and failures, and what we did to improve or rectify them using modern technology and engine machining processes. It will be quite a long story, and full of technical detail that I know most people find rather boring!.

Sounds & looks great, would really like to hear the information on the rebuild.

Thanks Dave.

That sounds very good, that distinctive AEC V8 crackle, but no harshness with it as some of them used to sound. A credit to you.

ERF:

I would love to hear the story , the engine sounds awesome , it definitely wont bore me , have you got the vehicle ready to fit it in ?

ERF:

Superb work- a great credit to all involved.

Please keep us informed- do not worry about people finding the technical detail boring. Those people can always skip it. If one person (me :laughing: ) enjoys reading it, then it was worth writing it. Who knows, the discussion may inspire further work which may be of help to all, or at least to the next group of enthusiasts to take on a V8 rebuild.

I’m sure there are many members who will be very interested to learn more about this rare, almost mythical engine from somebody who has got to know it well. If we’re really lucky we may get a list of its failings when compared to a DD 8V-71, from you know who.

LB76:

Yes it is LB,Spiers had two ex EL and ER Jones.RWO 679G was the other.

Chris

LB76:
This one was found in Rush green 1986.0[attachment=0]WYM 134 H.jpg

Looks like it’s ex Hays,they had WYM 132H and 133H.

Just going off the V8 subject,I once got a lift over Woodhead in a Mandator of W H Martins from Brigg,loaded with billets out of Scunthorpe.It had a Fuller box,not sure if it was the 9-speed RTO9509 that was in the Marathon.The thing about it was that it improved the AV760 engine performance no end and I was suitably impressed.I wonder how many AV760 Mandators were fitted as such? I had a Mandator at the time,OKC 130M and wanted a Fuller in it asap.
I wonder what the comparison would have been like between a V8 Mandator with a 6-speed box and the AV760 Mandator with a Fuller performancewise?

DEANB:
Dont know if this is a V8 but it is an AEC, and the picture was taken in Milan in 1975.

It’s not listed as a V8 in Graham’s book Dean,but some reg’s are missing.

gingerfold:
A nice photo Robert. The Mk.V range was arguably AEC at its best. Registered in 1965 this Mandator was one of the final MkVs before replacement with the Ergomatic range. Some of the last Mk.Vs did have the new AV691 engine fitted.

A E Evans had two fitted with the 2AV690,one was FWW 607C Fleet 191,and the other 526 GYG Fleet 198,and I think both ex Harold Wood as they had the Spen Coachworks cabs.526 GYG was mine for about 6 months off a Cawoods contract and I have to say it was a great machine,as smooth as silk to drive and fast for it’s day. :smiley: I was upgraded to a tilt cab Mandator,the money was better,but I still liked that MK5 Mammoth Major.
Here’s a POD Robinson photo of FWW 607C with 526 GYG just in shot - and,no,I didn’t bend it.Photo taken at Sheffield.

dave docwra:

ERF:

Sounds & looks great, would really like to hear the information on the rebuild.

Thanks Dave.

Excellent project. Dish the dirt on every aspect of what you’ve found and changed :smiling_imp: Easy said from the comfort of our homes, bystanders, but i’m sure lot’s of us appreciate your trials and tribulations. Keep it going lads :smiley: