AEC Mercury

Q67PTS - Newtyle Commercials - Mercury Major :

Tillotsons in Bradford on Preston St , a few Mercurys there and what looks like A One Transport owner receiving a new one

NMP, But if IRRC,This was new to Russells of Bathgate, A few North East hauliers bought them,Regards Larry.

Siddle C Cook Mercury.jpg

NMP, But a good one of Tony Waughs 1962 AEC.Mercury, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
NMP, But a good one of Tony Waughs 1962 AEC.Mercury, Regards Larry.

097.jpg

My Father’s good mate Bill Ashworth drove this, its parked outside his home on the Longbenton Estate, our house was further up the street and Dad parked his motor in a handy little layby opposite the house, it was quite usual to see many lorries parked on housing estates then but frowned upon today. Franky.

PEU55F - Len Barlow & Sons:

ZZb  PEU55F.jpg

SKU598J - R A Smith:

TROOPER2:
PEU55F - Len Barlow & Sons:

SKU598J - R A Smith:

Does anyone know who owned SKU 598J when it was new ?

Drove for Wimpey Lancaster Rd Southall Central Plant late 60s.One Morning a Driver Bob Trump got into his Cab an AEC Mercury Ergo Cab was filling in Log Book reving lightly when the Gearbox blue to bits and blew holes in the Cab Floor and Mudwings ,AEC said if i can remember right that the breather had got blocked and caused it.anybody ever came across anything like. Ben.

ben walker:
Drove for Wimpey Lancaster Rd Southall Central Plant late 60s.One Morning a Driver Bob Trump got into his Cab an AEC Mercury Ergo Cab was filling in Log Book reving lightly when the Gearbox blue to bits and blew holes in the Cab Floor and Mudwings ,AEC said if i can remember right that the breather had got blocked and caused it.anybody ever came across anything like. Ben.

We had a Ergo cab Mercury tractor unit that blew the gearbox apart…driver error was to blame. He had 18 tons of paper on the trailer (it was legal it was a 26-tons gvw model). The load was out of Robert Fletcher’s papermill at Stoneclough, Lancs, and it was a steep climb out of that village. It was also a 12-speed splitter 'box, and the driver missed a gear on the hill, snatched the gear lever, fouled the splitter switch, probably engaged two and a half gears at once and the result was spectacular.

windrush:
Interesting that they used a synchromesh gearbox back then, I thought the later Ergomatic cabbed Marshall’s had a constant mesh one? Back in the sixties we used to service a Mustang owned by Gillette Industries, I assume they were similar mechanically to those in the brochures? I seem to remember it having the aircleaner in the cab though, and the little red ‘flags’ that popped up to let you know that you had now no brakes! :open_mouth:

Pete.

When I was knee-high to a grasshopper one of our local coach companies had a fleet of AEC coaches. They were so impressive compared to the old Leylands, Guys, etc that other firms were using. A few (many!) years later, when I got my hands on my first Mercury I was thrilled to find that it was as smooth and quiet as I remembered from the coaches. After a bit of “fiddling” I was just about able to stay with most of the firm’s Mandators. Some years later, I got hold of an Ergo Mercury with the same decent engine and six-speed 'box. Brilliant, so much nicer to work with than the Bedfords, BMC and Albions that I had been used to.

2599WE - H Bannister Ltd:

680GTM - London Brick:

JFL677 - R C Creswell & Sons:

GAH796K - Horns Bros:

HRF483N - T B Green:

YNT290K: