AEC Mandator?

Glenn,
I’ve just been reading Juggernaut Drivers, after reading Les Purdon’s other book ‘Truckers North Truckers South’ (which I thought was’nt a bad read) and to be honest I thought it was a bit boring :cry: - Or is it me? What did you think of it overall?

Don’t think they did a 220 Mandator not sure on the V8 but other were about 176 if I remember, my dad had a Mercury tractor unit 505, 156 hp engine that flew, I also drove a Mercury ridgid back in the 70’s

How about the older Mercury Which after about three pumps of the brakes caused a little flag to pop up on the dash which read STOP Of course you couldn’t !

charlie one:
How about the older Mercury Which after about three pumps of the brakes caused a little flag to pop up on the dash which read STOP Of course you couldn’t !

The old Mk3 Mammoth Majors had a little flag like that Charlie and you’re right ,when it popped up showing “stop” you couldn’t. :open_mouth:

Yeah and can you two old codgers remember that although the stop sign would readily pop up,you had to bang the door post ‘cause the bleedin’ indicator arm used to stick!!! (Didn’t get women drivers back then).

the power of the mandator with the 760 was 204 horsepower @2200 rpm and it was12.4 litre which at the time was good because f86 was 192 bhp and 6litres and remember the mandator was at the old imperial horses which in todays power would be 224 around 9% more the best ones at the end had bosch fuel systems and nearly hit 245bhp but it was to late then the euro explosion had already began them little arms were on the park royal models

mrken:
the power of the mandator with the 760 was 204 horsepower @2200 rpm and it was12.4 litre which at the time was good because f86 was 192 bhp and 6litres and remember the mandator was at the old imperial horses which in todays power would be 224 around 9% more the best ones at the end had bosch fuel systems and nearly hit 245bhp but it was to late then the euro explosion had already began them little arms were on the park royal models

Didn’t some Mandators have the Fuller box fitted as an option? I seem to remember getting a lift with W.H.Martin from out Brigg way and I’m sure it had the Fuller gearbox.

Yes - the Fuller Roadranger was fitted to some Mandators.

David Hopkins has one with a Fuller in it - it’s a very nice motor.

yes the late ones had fuller and bosch pumps

The first artic I drove was the Park Royal Mandator with the 9.6 engine and the 6 speed box,but what a flyer!

I drove one of the old “Ergo” Mandators at Appletons of Formby in the 70,s this one had an (I think) AV 960 engine and could go like the proverbial off the shovel and unlike the “Leyland Ergo” ones it could also bloodywell stop as it had decent brakes!

The only fault was the steering was that heavy you had to have arms like “Charles Atlas” (now there is a name to remember) from the old adverts for muscle building boys but that,s another story :exclamation: :exclamation:

Once the steering box was changed after about hell knows how long the steering was brilliant but the engine suffered the old problem of Ergo AEC,s and that was boiling upon anything longer than a trip to Leeds& back :exclamation: :exclamation:

I remember “Cannings” of Leyland ran AEC ergo,s in their fleet and (so I am told) they used to do the smoke & back in a day loading both ways which even in the “good old days” took some doing :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :wink: :unamused: :unamused:

I drove one for a very short time (it ‘threw a leg out of bed’) ans it took me about 20 mins of searching to find the start button, in the end a fitter came over, reached in through the door & showed me the hidden button!!

Ross.

ps, ‘NEJ’ I work with Jeff Stobbs who was a fitter for Doug Appleton, I take it you knew Aubry Woodhead & Jim Benson??

Hi Lemonmouth,in response to your asking what I thought of Leslie Purdons,‘Juggernaut Drivers’,I found it an interesting read,but expected a bit more content and humour. It tended to be a bit repetitive in places,and I suppose what some people would describe as boring,although having said that,I wasn’t sorry that I bought it,and on the whole enjoyed the book.

Fair Comment Glenn, Have you read Truckers North Truckers south? that was his 1st book, one of the reasons I bought it was that when it was 1st published a few years ago there were a few places that would’nt sell it because they thought it was too ‘Risque’ :blush: in fact I remember asking someone if they had it at the Gaydon classic truck show a few years ago and they said “Oh no I dont sell ‘Filth’ on my stall” So there’s me thinking it was something off the top shelf in the newsagents :wink: But when I finally got a copy and read it I just did’nt understand what all the fuss was about :confused:
I was’nt about in the 40’s and 50’s but I’ve since given it to an old(Very Old) :wink: Mate of mine and he reckons it was spot - on.

Just something on this one, as I was at the CCVM show (the last one apparently) at Gaydon this year and guess what was for sale an ex “RTITB” training motor an “AEC Mandator V8” 2 pedal job complete with trailer, unfortunately I didn,t get the phone no. of the seller but it was in immaculate condition in full RTITB livery and looked a treat :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It would very likely still be for sale as I don,t think that were any serious offers but then again that was a few months ago so hopefully it has gone to a good home. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

NEJ:
Just something on this one, as I was at the CCVM show (the last one apparently) at Gaydon this year and guess what was for sale an ex “RTITB” training motor an “AEC Mandator V8” 2 pedal job complete with trailer, unfortunately I didn,t get the phone no. of the seller but it was in immaculate condition in full RTITB livery and looked a treat :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It would very likely still be for sale as I don,t think that were any serious offers but then again that was a few months ago so hopefully it has gone to a good home. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I have the phone number of the guy that owns this mandator.
Smashing bloke called Neil

Never mind the canoe for xmas I will have the Mandator thanks :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

NEJ:
Never mind the canoe for xmas I will have the Mandator thanks :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

He stores it near our yard, Oh boy does it sound sweet.
And it goes like the proverbial of a shovel, especially when you meet him on the ‘60’ bend early in the morning.
He’s got a Badger, - no, not roadkill - in the process of restoration at the moment, I’ll give him a ring and see how he’s getting on with that.

that v8 not a 2 pedal one thats my old one i bought it in 1989 of mr bibby with a ex total wrecker and a case full of parts kept for a few years then sold it to botany haulage the block transporters in purfleet and it wasnt a 2 pedal one then in fact did the training board have 2 pedelers because surely you wouldnt get a full ticket but it does look great noe get some pics posted when i had it

Not sure if the RTITB motors were two-pedal - I always thought they were 6-speeders.