Advice sought on the well trodden Canadian path

neilg14:

ORC:
What’s the nonsense with a reefer? It’s just a box with a diesel tank and buttons to set, isn’t it? Oh, and a noisy kip parking up overnight… :slight_smile:

This all seems a bit bizarre to me. Canada needs drivers, I’m a driver who wants to come to Canada, I have no family and am happy with the idea of tramping for weeks on end. I’m not overly bothered about the wages as long as they’re reasonable and pay enough to live on, and I’d even be prepared to come to a deal with a good company to cover their costs for the additional bureaucracy of taking on a foreigner. And despite this it is still nigh on impossible to find a straight route in.

This makes me want to barf.

I feel very sorry for those who have this attitude, they have no idea what they are getting into, the attitude of not bothering about the earnings just as long as there is enough to live on. Fact is they probably won’t be able to live on the wage except by iving in the truck with no other outgoings.

Pat Hasler:
I feel very sorry for those who have this attitude, they have no idea what they are getting into, the attitude of not bothering about the earnings just as long as there is enough to live on. Fact is they probably won’t be able to live on the wage except by iving in the truck with no other outgoings.

Which is what he wants to do, and he just cannot understand why the Canadian government is trying to stop the revolving door antics of employing convenient foreigners to do a God awful job. I mean, the UK has improved loads since the EU saw to it than an unlimited amount of foreigners could undermine a pre-existing economy by operating on third world wages and camping out like a tramp for weeks or months on end. Why wouldn’t we all want that? Just what are the Canadian government playing at here?! Obviously we both know that should he ever end up here, he’ll soon start to see things differently for what they are but whilst he’s in one of the best countries on earth, where most of the people have an obsession that its one of the worst countries on earth, he’ll never see the forest for the trees.
As I said above, he’ll easily find what he wants out of life by working for a cheap skate Bulgarian etc outfit. He can rent a two room hovel in a beautiful Bulgarian mountain village for his 2 days off per 8 weeks, live in the truck and earn just enough to buy his food at any number of Lidl or Aldi’s in western Europe and he’ll have a much more diverse adventure than he ever would in North America, what with all the different countries, landscapes, peoples and languages etc. He won’t need a work permit, he’ll be able to use his UK licence and CPC and the Bulgarian government will welcome him with open arms, unlike the Canadian government who are currently frowning upon bringing in cheap immigrants to undermine the local workforce at lower terms and conditions. At least thats their official policy at any rate. Go east ORC and live your dreams.

I’m sorry my ‘attitude’ upsets or offends you, this was not my intention.

I am at the stage in life where I have money, so I’m looking for opportunity and a bit of adventure. I’m not looking to be living as a bread line slave, but I’m not expecting the roads to be paved with gold either. A fair wage for a fair day’s work is all I ask, I can cover the rest. I have friends in Canada, I don’t know any Bulgarians, so I’m looking west if that’s okay.

I hear so many people moaning about truck driving, how terrible it is, how hard it is, what a “God awful job” it is. However, I actually enjoy it - is that so hard to believe?

As the title says, advice sought…but not judgmental criticism please. It is rather ironic that some of you guys are ‘convenient foreigners’ too.

The issue isn’t that you want to move to Canada rather than Bulgaria, it’s more the fact that you are happy to support companies that pay substandard wages, doesn’t matter if it’s purely a route out or you love the job so much you’d be willing to do it for free, it’s making things worse for everyone else. Truck driving wages in the UK took a nosedive because agencies started offering Class 1 work at £7.50ph and people were taking it (to an Eastern European this was a fortune), so they continue to do so, if you are in dire straits and that is the only work you can get to keep the bailiffs away then do what you have to do but if you are in a position to pick and choose jobs then I think it’s very unadvisable to support low paying companies, I would rather take a day off than take a job paying a pittance.

I’ve wanted to go out to Canada for quite a long time but I’m not prepared to work for peanuts, as great as driving around the US sounds it’s still work at the end of the day and once the novelty of being in another country dies down you will realise you are doing a job and want to be paid appropriately, I looked at the Maritimes but was not willing to work for the wages they offered so it was a case of waiting for a decent paying haulier to offer something. If you want to support companies that pay low wages and even encourage them by offering to pay their legal fees then that’s up to you but as you will presumably continue to work in Canada once you have PR or Citizenship you may find it annoying if wages never rise because foreigners keep coming in begging for jobs that pay peanuts because that’s better than nothing.

Keep looking, keep waiting and keep asking companies directly, quite a lot of companies have failed to get LMIAs, are put off by the new higher cost (which is payable regardless of whether they get it or not) or are hopeful that rules will relax soon and are therefore delaying applications. The provinces have job sites with hundreds of truck driving jobs advertised by different companies, ring around, see what they say, get a good job for a good company, if they want you and aren’t trying to skimp on wages then they will pay what it costs to get you there.

ORC:
I’m sorry my ‘attitude’ upsets or offends you, this was not my intention.

I am at the stage in life where I have money, so I’m looking for opportunity and a bit of adventure. I’m not looking to be living as a bread line slave, but I’m not expecting the roads to be paved with gold either. A fair wage for a fair day’s work is all I ask, I can cover the rest. I have friends in Canada, I don’t know any Bulgarians, so I’m looking west if that’s okay.

I hear so many people moaning about truck driving, how terrible it is, how hard it is, what a “God awful job” it is. However, I actually enjoy it - is that so hard to believe?

As the title says, advice sought…but not judgmental criticism please. It is rather ironic that some of you guys are ‘convenient foreigners’ too.

Your attitude doesn’t upset me but it seems incredibly naive to how things really are here. I too enjoy truck driving in general, I always have and thats why I became one, I grew up with it and always wanted to be a driver. However, after 19 months of hell at one of the bottom dweller companies in Canada that I first started with, the same sort of firm you seem hell bent on working for, for as little money as they wish, with as much unpaid waiting time as they wish and paying them for the privilledge of having you, it shows how little you understand about the job here. Canada is not Britain with bonneted trucks and open roads, its a different world and just like absolutely everybody else who works for those sorts of companies, you too will soon tire of waiting all day to get loaded, then driving all night fighting tiredness to rush to the delivery, to then wait all day getting tipped, and then drive all night etc. Why the hell would you want to work 7 days a week for what you should earn in 3 or 4 days of properly organised work? You don’t have to work for these idiots to get in to Canada, thats just the quick route in (or it was) because they’re the cowboys who are constantly after new drivers to replaced those who’ve burnt out.
Very few of us on here who are still in Canada were convenient foreigners, most of us stood up against this sort of treatment and in doing so ruffled many feathers. We refused to sit around for free and be treat like a red neck lemming and in many cases we became the highest paid drivers at companies because we demanded to be run right and all the crap then went to those who put up and shut up, usually the Canadians who’ve never known things any other way. Now in places like New Brunswick, European drivers make up a huge percentage of drivers and companies have had to become more efficient at keeping us running and earning in order to keep us in their employment, and since the tightening up of the LMO/LMIA rules this has paid off and pay and conditions are improving quite dramatically at a lot of firms. If you were able to come here, you could benefit from this and do better for yourself, or you could accept rock bottom and do yourself no favours and come to Canada, offer to work for 32cpm, tell them you’re willing to be awake day and night and sit around for hours or days waiting for reloads and expect no pay for it, because you’re happy to bum around earning very little.
My Bulgaria scenario was semi-serious, you would probably enjoy it more in the long run. Canada and the US are vast areas of uniformity in many ways, you can drive for days and very little changes, all the buildings look the same, so all the towns and cities do, its all just identical urban sprawl with idiot car drivers that are far beyond anything in the UK. At least if you were living in the cab for a Bulgarian company you’d see much more interesting things, places and people. Western Canada and the US are quite nice for a while, but everything east of the rockies in both countries soon gets very old, especially when you run up and down the same thousands of miles of interstate week in, week out.
At the end of the day you’re in charge of your own destiny, I can only say what I think from my own experience here. I think your wrong in what your expectations of Canada will be like and what you’re willing to put up with from employers to be here but its your choice to make.

Excellent posts, Kiowan & Robinhood, spot on both of them.

neilg14:
Excellent posts, Kiowan & Robinhood, spot on both of them.

I agree, thanks for taking the time to clarify and expand your thoughts in such a helpful way, it is appreciated.

I guess there are some complex dynamics going on here. The opportunity to move and settle in another country has significant value to foreigners that one cannot easily put a price on, but has no value at all to those already resident. That skews the market against residents and drives down wages. Closing the door to foreigners ought to drive wages up, but at what cost? Someone has to pay, so ultimately it creates inflationary pressure on the economy. I suppose that’s what the Canadian government is trying to do, and will presumably watch carefully for any negative economic fallout from the changes. Now it makes a bit more sense.

I have no desire to be prostituting myself for one of the big trucking firms who abuse the system, my wish has always been to find a reputable firm who need a break to compete with the abusers. I take what you say on board and I hope I can find a way in without contributing further to the problem.

The cost of transport isn’t really going up, whats mostly happening now compared to a few years ago is that companies are having to operate their trucks and drivers more efficiently if they want to keep them. There are thousands of trucking jobs in Canada, we all know that, but that’s largely because of an over supply of trucks. Many companies have more trucks than they have work for, but because of paying drivers by the mile they can just keep them sitting around for no pay until a job pops up, then off he trots, until he gets there and then waits again. Drivers are getting fed up with working like that, especially ones from Europe who would never dream of driving from Birmingham to Glasgow or Rotterdam to Basel, tipping and then parking up for a day or more on no pay whatsoever. There is one company based near to where I live in New Brunswick who have about 110 tractor units, and at any one time they have 40 of them parked in the yard and about half of those are empty with no drivers. They’re always recruiting, they’ll promise the earth and tell you absolutely anything to get you in to the seat. They’ll then send you down to Pennsylvania which is a day and a bit’s drive away, you’ll spend 6 hours getting tipped, with no pay, then you’ll send in your empty message and get something along the lines of “No reload yet, we’re working on it” and its quite common for them to then sit and wait anywhere from 12 hours to as much as 3 days for a load either going to Toronto which is about 8 or 9 hours away or back to the Maritimes, a day and a bit away, almost two days if going all the way to Halifax etc. I met one driver there who was new to the industry and couldn’t get employment anywhere else and he’d often earn as little as $400 gross for being away 6 or 7 days. Now don’t get me wrong, they’re the extreme end of things and not exactly typical, but too many companies across Canada from coast to coast have operated this way with over capacity just in case there’s a busy period and to be honest, the office staff in many transport firms here make even the worst ones in the UK look highly educated. They can’t be bothered to put the effort in to keeping trucks moving efficiently because they don’t have to. If there’s a good paying load in a day or two’s time, that’s good enough, the driver will sit there like a lemon and they can go home at 5 from the office without having to exert themselves too much during the day. I now work for a company who are as far removed from that as possible and more companies here are having to change how they run things because there is a lot of choice out there for jobs, drivers are fed up with how thins have always been, especially foreign drivers who’ve known better ways of being run and if companies choose to drag their feet and operate in such a sloppy manner, they’ll have more and more empty trucks, just like said company mentioned above.

gr8 posts robinhood couldnt of put it better myself been of for while another rush back 2 good ol england my dad passed away while i was there so bit of a mess at mo just back to pei o

stevejones:
gr8 posts robinhood couldnt of put it better myself been of for while another rush back 2 good ol england my dad passed away while i was there so bit of a mess at mo just back to pei o

Sorry to hear that mate, I went through the same thing over Christmas 06/07, my Dad died on Boxing day in Northampton general hospital as I spoke on the phone to my Brother in law who sat next to his bed.
All I can say is life goes on mate.

Am pretty lucky I guess. 99% of the time we won’t head south unless a reload waiting for us so it’s drop and off we go and normally know the Friday what I’m doing the following week. But do remember plenty of hanging around in my last place for loads. Sat there for 23 1/2 hrs empty then just before the limit to pay lay over a load would come through or sit all day waiting for produce to come in from the fields Then being expected to run all night and only getting paid the $25 for the pick up

tks pat ye my dad would agree with you he was bit of a rare dude tks again

Have you considered the Provincial Nominee program. PNP. You can apply on line but its better to come out & visit the immigration office in the province you wish to move to. They will give you a pile of papers & forms to complete. You needed 55 points when i did it but its quite easy to reach that many. You get 5 points for the visit. You go home & fill in the forms, send them back & then wait. 2 years is the norm. But then when you land you are a Permanent resident straight away. You then can work for who you like on a British licence, this you have to convert to a canadian licence , take the test ect within 3 months of landing. The one major hurdle is getting a letter of garuntee of work. However the gov’t know full well that no employer is going to hold a job open for 2 years so its irelivent really, as when you land they send you to the labour office to find you a job, they were really shocked when i said i have a job. PM me & I can talk more, its 02.30 & i am loading having been up all day, so all for now, good luck. John. (things may have changed by now, but look it up anyway)

saxonhorse:
Have you considered the Provincial Nominee program. PNP. You can apply on line but its better to come out & visit the immigration office in the province you wish to move to. They will give you a pile of papers & forms to complete. You needed 55 points when i did it but its quite easy to reach that many. You get 5 points for the visit. You go home & fill in the forms, send them back & then wait. 2 years is the norm. But then when you land you are a Permanent resident straight away. You then can work for who you like on a British licence, this you have to convert to a canadian licence , take the test ect within 3 months of landing. The one major hurdle is getting a letter of garuntee of work. However the gov’t know full well that no employer is going to hold a job open for 2 years so its irelivent really, as when you land they send you to the labour office to find you a job, they were really shocked when i said i have a job. PM me & I can talk more, its 02.30 & i am loading having been up all day, so all for now, good luck. John. (things may have changed by now, but look it up anyway)

Unfortunately, things have definitely changed and i should add that my experience is only with the Sask pnp program. For you to work for any company here I was required to first pass my canadian class 1 test as my uk HGV licence stood for nothing over here and i think i`m also correct in saying that in order to qualify for provincial nomination i had to be employed by the same canadian company for a minimum of 6 months prior to applying therefore needing an LMO or LMIA as they are now known in order to first gain a work permit to allow me to work here and then grant me access to stay here for the given period thus giving me time to apply for provincial nomination and then permanent residence.

For PNP you gotta be employed and have ties IE address bank account etc to the province in which you are applying. As Russ said European class 1 isn’t any good. Got to retake it over here before you turn a wheel