Advice please

ROG:

waynedl:

ROG:

waynedl:

ROG:
I had a careful look at the link with the old licences and at the side it says about restriction codes so the very important question …

Does the OP have a 107 restriction code next to the C1+E ?

But in my above quote, it still says 12,000kg WITH the code 79 or 107

So, does it also depend on when he passed his test?

The 107 code over-rides the 12 tonnes GTW

What would be the point of the code if it did not do that?

No idea, I am only saying what it states above on the government website - which definately says 12,000kg WITH the code 79 or 107

I think you are reading it incorrectly

Firstly it states what the general rules are for a category THEN it states in the left column what the change would be if a code was applied - unless you can copy and paste a bit that says different …

It’s in columns so is difficult to copy / paste, read the link.

It states. If you passed your test between 1976 and 1986, this is the old category, this is the new category, and you can read that in what I’ve posted or by clicking the link.

I agree with what you’re saying, in that if I look at a licence, I should be able to read it and say “c1e code 107 = 8250kg max combined train weight” but that’s NOT what the government website says.

Also, nobody answered, is it definitely plated weight like HGV restrictions or is it actual weight like the car restrictions - so if his 7.5t vehicle actually weighed 5t, and the trailer with car weighed 3t, would he be legal in the instance of the 8250kg limit Rog posted?

C1 allows any driver to drive a 7.5t vehicle and tow a trailer upto 750kg, so what’s the point of the c1e with a restriction if that restriction is the same as just a C1?

waynedl:
C1 allows any driver to drive a 7.5t vehicle and tow a trailer upto 750kg, so what’s the point of the c1e with a restriction if that restriction is the same as just a C1?

Its not the same because …
C1 means any vehicle between 3.5 to 7.5 tonne with a MAX trailer MAM of 750 kgs

C1+E with 107 code means any combination where the vehicle is between 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes and towing any trailer as long as the total MAMs do not add up to more than 8.25 tonnes

Using a 7.5 tonne GVW C1 then the result is the same for both but using a C1 with a lower GVW means the trailer can be over 750 kgs
Example - vehicle GVW 6 tonnes with trailer plated MAM of 2.25 tonnes = total MAM of 8.25 tonnes - that is ok on a C1+E with 107 but not on a C1 because C1 only allows max trailer plated MAM of 750 kgs

I just had a look at mine, passed car test in 1984. although I have C E, (passed in 1991) I can still only pull a trailer of 750KG MAM with a 7.5 T if the 7.5 T is fully loaded.
I.E, 8250 KG gross train weight. There is the “107” restriction along side cat C1E.
Copied from the DVLA page- “107 - not more than 8,250 kilograms”.
Seems simple enough.

ROG:
C1+E with 107 code means any combination where the vehicle is between 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes and towing any trailer as long as the total MAMs do not add up to more than 8.25 tonnes

That’s exactly the way I comprehend it Rog.

Gembo:
I just had a look at mine, passed car test in 1984. although I have C E, (passed in 1991) I can still only pull a trailer of 750KG MAM with a 7.5 T if the 7.5 T is fully loaded.
I.E, 8250 KG gross train weight. There is the “107” restriction along side cat C1E.
Seems simple enough.

Incorrect

The licence goes on plated weights not actual weights so not loading a 7.5 to its full capacity makes no difference

The 12 tonnes for a full C1+E is referring to GTW or put another way - the total actual weight of the combination
The 8.25 tonnes for the C1+E 107 refers to total MAM or put another way - the total of the plated weights

Gembo:
Seems simple enough.

Your C+E should over-ride the c1e and the restriction is irreverent. Not even sure why it’s still on there.

Category C

You can drive vehicles over 3,500kg (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category C+E

You can drive category C vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

It doesn’t say that the vehicle’s got to be over 7.5t it says over 3.5t. C1 is vehicles between 3.5t and 7.5t. So how can you drive a vehicle over 3.5t with any trailer with your C+E licence but not on your c1e licence? :unamused:

Once again, the DVLA have took something relatively simple and balls’d it up.

Can the OP please let us know if there’s any restriction codes after the c1e on your licence - I don’t think there will be, in which case about 70% of this topic was pointless :grimacing:

And BTW, what it’s loaded to is always irrelivent- licensing ALWAYS goes off of the MGW/plated weight.

waynedl:
It doesn’t say that the vehicle’s got to be over 7.5t it says over 3.5t. C1 is vehicles between 3.5t and 7.5t. So how can you drive a vehicle over 3.5t with any trailer with your C+E licence but not on your c1e licence? :unamused:

■■■■ knows! :laughing:

waynedl:
Once again, the DVLA have took something relatively simple and balls’d it up.

Yep!

ROG:
Incorrect

The licence goes on plated weights not actual weights so not loading a 7.5 to its full capacity makes no difference

The 12 tonnes for a full C1+E is referring to GTW or put another way - the total actual weight of the combination
The 8.25 tonnes for the C1+E 107 refers to total MAM or put another way - the total of the plated weights

Got ya.

waynedl:
Your C+E should over-ride the c1e and the restriction is irreverent. Not even sure why it’s still on there.

I MISSED THAT :blush:

C+E gives full C1+E but its hidden behind the C+E

Having C+E and a pre 1997 C1+E gives the driver TWO C1+Es
Pre 1997 one is expiry dated at age 70
The one gained by passing C+E is subject to the current LGV medical expiry date which is earlier than the pre 97 one

When driving the highest category is used to cover what is being driven so if driving a C1+E set up the driver is deemed to be driving it under the C1+E gained by passing C+E

Cheers Rog, sorry to the OP for taking the thread off course a bit but I suppose its all relevant, kind of.

107 is the code after. Thanks for all your replies I think I am more confused now than when I started :slight_smile:

So… Am I right in thinking that I can only tow up to 8.25 on my licence at the minute?

Sam113:
107 is the code after. Thanks for all your replies I think I am more confused now than when I started :slight_smile:

So… Am I right in thinking that I can only tow up to 8.25 on my licence at the minute?

107 - not more than 8,250 kilograms

gov.uk/driving-licence-codes

Sam113:

I’m looking for some advice re towing a car trailer with a 7.5 lorry which I can drive because I am 54, not because I have ever taken a lorry test.

8.250 kgs or 8.25 tonnes TOTAL COMBINED MAM/GVW - that is not the same as actual weight

GVW and MAM have the same meaning - the maximum something can be when loaded to its full legally permissible weight

If you are using a lorry that has a GVW of 7.5 tonnes or 7500 kgs then the maximum plated MAM for the trailer will be 0.75 tonnes or 750 kgs

As I am aged 55 that makes me your elder and you know the saying … :wink: :laughing:

PM sent - check your inbox near the top of the page :smiley: