Advice or opinions needed please

Kate:
My friend works for Daf , so I’ll call him tomorrow and see what the horses mouth has to say !!!

That would be great thanks.

Thanks for all the sound advice guys & girls. really great advice :smiley:

as the company has informed you that it is taking disciplinary proceedures, I would respond IN WRITING asking for time to obtain an independant engineers report before the disciplinary.

some drivers won’t even change a bulb. you did the job of a proper driver.
who signed the letter?
get a new airline and tell him to show you how to change it properly, then ask him how the [zb] it can blow any fuses.
now beat the crap out of him until he agrees that he is wrong and you are right.
don’t let us down will you.

I wouldn’t accept it, somebodies trying to cover their [zb] for a [zb] up and you the scapegoat.
Get independant, advice on changing airlines on a Daf, and if that could effect the electrics.
Then you need to get the fitter who said that your actions would effect the electrics to show how an airline can blow fuses and effect the transmission.

get them to get the fitter who gave them this bull [zb] to write a report on his findings. then get a proper report from a mechanic.
there is a big difference between a mechanic and a fitter.

fitter = monkey see monkey do.

mechanic = serviced his dads car before he started school.

tyler4164:
I rang my company & told them it should be ok to enable me to finish my drops & return to base. They said to carry on.

Whatever happened they should have directed you to a garage to get it checked out as you are not employed as a mechanic your a steering whell assistant :wink:

This issue of the electrics is total BS from them…
IT seems they just want rid of you.

Take them to a tribunial you could always ask ROG for advice on Tribunials …

Got some questions for you to clarify things.

When you first got an air leak did you ring the company to tell them and that you were going to put another suzi on?
Did they say no don’t do it it’s against company policy?
OR Did did you ring after you’ve repaired it?
And then did they say you shouldn’t have done it it’s against company policy or wait for a fitter to check the repair before continuing?

Have you ever been given a company policy book or told officialy that running repairs are not allowed?

Was the truck used by anybody else between you finishing the shift you repaired it on and them telling you, “you had damaged it. by changing the airline”?

limeyphil:

:imp: B*llocks! I spent 5yrs at college and a further three on an apprenticeship, I’m a relatively highly qualified mechanic and resent that remark (I’m not in the trade anymore).

The REAL difference? A mechanic fixes something - a fitter fits a replacement. I left the trade because employers wouldn’t let me fix things, they wanted quick, simple results - at the customer’s cost of course.

O/P, it’s BS - and lots of it, don’t let them do it to you - my guess is they were hopeing you wouldn’t know any better and either someone’s trying to make a point or; someone else has damaged the other things and you’re the scapegoat or; someone else damaged those things, didn’t say anything and some office bod who hasn’t got a clue put two and two together. Hope you get it sorted but to be honest I’d be looking to leave, the spineless ■■■■■■■■ :imp:

darkseeker:

limeyphil:

:imp: B*llocks! I spent 5yrs at college and a further three on an apprenticeship, I’m a relatively highly qualified mechanic and resent that remark (I’m not in the trade anymore).

The REAL difference? A mechanic fixes something - a fitter fits a replacement. I left the trade because employers wouldn’t let me fix things, they wanted quick, simple results - at the customer’s cost of course.

O/P, it’s BS - and lots of it, don’t let them do it to you - my guess is they were hopeing you wouldn’t know any better and either someone’s trying to make a point or; someone else has damaged the other things and you’re the scapegoat or; someone else damaged those things, didn’t say anything and some office bod who hasn’t got a clue put two and two together. Hope you get it sorted but to be honest I’d be looking to leave, the spineless [zb] :imp:

Think you’ll find Phil was being complimentary to mechanics there mate, not having a pop at them.

:blush: actually, you’re right lol. sorry Phil - got the wrong end of the stick. I considered myself a mechanic but can’t say I serviced my dad’s car until I was about 15 :wink:

To be fair, the majority of fitters are remarkably good at their job (which is- fitting things), the rest tend to work for motorsave or quickfit :laughing:

Tell the office staff they are ■■■■,
Tell the person who’s name is at the bottom off the disciplinary they are a ■■■■,
Tell the guy from DAF he’s a ■■■,
Now tell them the last time you were surrouned by this many ■■■■ and ■■■■■ you were in a nudist colony.

Go into the hearing with a piece of hosepipe and ask the person holding the hearing how do you blow a fuse with the hosepipe, same principle.

PS - Lube up, they wanna bum you :open_mouth:

muckles:

When you first got an air leak did you ring the company to tell them and that you were going to put another suzi on?
And then did they say you shouldn’t have done it it’s against company policy or wait for a fitter to check the repair before continuing?

Have you ever been given a company policy book or told officialy that running repairs are not allowed?

Was the truck used by anybody else between you finishing the shift you repaired it on and them telling you, “you had damaged it. by changing the airline”?

1, I rang after to explain what i had done
2, They asked if it would last so the night driver could get it from severn beach, avonmouth to birmingham rdc
3, We had driver training in the last 6 months & were told if we felt confident enough to change an airline then do so if not dont, also got letter to say not to do it so who knows what set of rules to follow
4, I work from an outbase so after my shift the night driver from birmingham drove my usual unit down & took the unit in question to birmingham

limeyphil:
some drivers won’t even change a bulb. you did the job of a proper driver.
who signed the letter?
get a new airline and tell him to show you how to change it properly, then ask him how the [zb] it can blow any fuses.
now beat the crap out of him until he agrees that he is wrong and you are right.
don’t let us down will you.

your very helpful arent you.

tyler4164:
I had to swap the connections from the old line onto the new line & the only thing i couldnt do was seal the joins so when it was fitted there was still a very,& i mean very slight leak still.
Any opinions welcomed thanks in advance

Well done , clearly as said prior , "old school ", aint nothing wrong with that chap - good on ya .

Air line change :-
Next time apply some :-
Teflon PTFE thread sealing tape” to the threaded joints.
Available at any good diy store /plumbers.
keep the tape flat + wrap it around the threads clockwise 2 or 3 times full circumference before screwing the 2 part joints together. :wink: :smiley:

Possible detremental damage to further components ■■?
I very much { zzb } doubt it .

Unfortunately ,
by carrying out the said line repair/replacement yourself , then you may clearly have broken their company guideline /or/proceedure ■■ (use this bit to help your case and delete as appropriate).

Proceedure - normally must follow and do as is set out according to that company`s rules.
Guideline - this could be flexible and open to further interpretation and is a guide .

You clearly state you phoned the TM after you had changed the line at point of breakdown scene,
they must have gave you the all clear to continue your journey , otherwise ,

the TM should have and would have said --" Do Not Move Untill WE have had a sanctioned repairer attend to the vehicle at your location".

If the “office” - TM , did not give you the latter instruction and said OK continue journey,
you have reasonable grounds to argue your case.
You could possibly say that at the time of the airline initial failing , you made a dynamic risk assessment and made way emergency temporary repair untill otherwise instructed of further due course of appropriate action deemed necessary !!!
and then made effort verbally at time + awaited further instruction via verbal communication from your transport co-ordinator/decision maker (person of said Transport company in authority ) to give you a clear command.

As for the leak causing extensive damage to vehicle part or parts !! ■■,

Ask the company for a full breakdown written step by step report on what was possibly the fault, the ensueing damage, the parts + rectification work needed , + a written evalution as to why and how the initial minor air leak could cause the follow-on onset of work needed.

Ask the company for a 2nd independant assessment and evaluation report from another garage workshop repairer (unbiased).

Seek independant advice,
and or ,
TGWU , drivers union , etc etc …

Stand your ground and contest it cofidently and firmly.

sounds like someones having a giraffe and trying to have your pants down :imp:
dont let the B zzbzb `s grind you down !

Good luck . :open_mouth:

and remember, be prepared for afterwards that a person or persons may not be your best friend forever after the event meetings/tribunal etc … but who gives a s zbzb t !!! :laughing:

tyler4164:

muckles:

Thanks for the reply.

tyler4164:
1, I rang after to explain what i had done
2, They asked if it would last so the night driver could get it from severn beach, avonmouth to birmingham rdc

So they knew what went on at the time and nobody at that time told you it was against company policy and to wait. Basically because they want the job done.

tyler4164:
3, We had driver training in the last 6 months & were told if we felt confident enough to change an airline then do so if not dont, also got letter to say not to do it so who knows what set of rules to follow

The problem is one bit is in writing, but if you can get statements from the trainer or other on the course it means they have an unclear policy on this.

tyler4164:
4, I work from an outbase so after my shift the night driver from birmingham drove my usual unit down & took the unit in question to birmingham

And I assume the driver found no problems on his walk round check? and the unit made the trip?

Don’t accept the disiplinary action, find out what your rights are as I reckon somebody is trying to stitch you up to save thier own [zb]

Follow Trux advice and get somebody professional in your corner.

sounds to me as though this truck may have been jump-started at some point, that can fry the electrics on new motors if not done properly i thought. it also sounds like they are trying to shift the blame for someones else’s ■■■■-up onto you. fight em all the way, if the worst happens they would get laughed out of a tribunal.

Companies like this just don’t have a clue. They turn drivers from being the kind who are willing to have a go and sort things himself to keep the job going into blokes who, understandably, from now on will say ‘■■■■ that, not my job, give me a shout when you’ve had it fixed’.

If it’s against company policy to do running repairs why are they providing you with spare air lines? Surely they are then contravening their own policy. It’s all a crock of ■■■■

The investigation is still ongoing but today i thought of something else in my defence. The woman in the transport office who i spoke to when i rang them after i had changed the airline. She was at my meeting as a witness & note taker, now surely shes also in breach of the company policy for giving me permission to carry on & not telling me to wait for someone to come out & check said repare. Surely this would mean that she should also be under investigation for braking company policy although nothing is being done to her. If this is the case then surely everything that happened at the meeting should be void as she is involved in the incident & shouldn’t of been a part of the meeting in the first place. Any thoughts on this■■?

Thanks for all the help & support :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

tyler4164:
Last week i arrived at one of my drops, as i got out i could hear i had an air leak. On closer inspection i soon realised i had a kink in the red airline & it was split resulting in total loss of air pressure. I had a spare airline so thought i’d change it myself. I had to swap the connections from the old line onto the new line & the only thing i couldnt do was seal the joins so when it was fitted there was still a very,& i mean very slight leak still. I rang my company & told them it should be ok to enable me to finish my drops & return to base. They said to carry on.

So the air leak that resulted in a total loss of air pressure would also prevent the trailer being moved. At what point did the total loss occur?

Anyway on monday i received a letter saying they was taking disiplinary action against me as changing an airline was against company procedure…Now thats not my main concern. The main concern is what was to follow.

So up to now we have just changed a kinked air line, how did it become kinked? Did you have to screw the truck round at your delivery?

They went on to tell me that the lead had been fitted wrong :confused: :confused: :imp: ( i know it wasn’t) & as a result had knocked all the fuses out, damaged the starter moter & caused transmission faults causing £100’s of damage ( its a daf cf auto if that makes a difference). What i would like to know is is this possible Because i didnt think the airlines etc etc had nothing to do with the electrical fuses.

They don’t, not at all, never, ever!

It was fine with me for the rest of the day, showed no dash warnings of any kind, Think we all know what dafs are like for showing warnings. Also the air pressure guage was reading correct pressure while engine running & when ignition off moved down extremely slowly.
Any opinions welcomed thanks in advance

Unless you have turned extremely sharp and ripped off your airlines, ABS leads and electrical suzie too, you have nothing to worry about, but someone somewhere has probably done that

I would welcome the tribunal with an expert witness by my side :stuck_out_tongue: I got hauled into our office for dropping an empty trailer at a customer with a bald tyre, but due to modern technology (a diary) I could prove that the trailer in question was still loaded and I took another empty one to the customer with 6 good tyres. The only thing I checked on the original loaded trailer was that it was empty, it wasn’t so I called the French office and told them which trailer I was taking. It was 3 weeks later when the UK office called me about the bald tyre, ranting that it had cost them a PG9 and an out of hours callout.

Good reasons to keep a diary, number 383 :wink:

I’ve spoken to my mate at DAF, and he’s told me what he thinks, BUT he’s gone for a confirmation from higher up, so I’ll be back as soon as I’ve received his call…