Advice for driving on other side of road

Again thanks for all the replies! :smiley: A lot of good food for thought there to keep me right next week(pun intended). I’ll update next week and let you know what I make of the first trip :sunglasses:

I used to find the first roundabout a challenge, but otherwise ok.

I drove a left ■■■■■■ over here for about 4 months, and that was more of a challenge than driving over there to be honest…

dieseldog999:
…no doubt your bumhole will be twitching like a rabbits nose for a while…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: made me spill my coffee!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Easy way to remember is keep the ditch on your right at all times

Most of my Euro work was done in left hookers, but when on rhd I had a mirror inside the cab on the nearside corner of the dash, positioned so I could see oncoming traffic on two way carriageways if needing to overtake,… just a bit of extra insurance, …oh and get a fresnel on your nearside window for cars overtaking you.

Also watch out for Bikes in Dutch cities and suburbs, they are awash with them.

Just concentrate on hugging the nearside (your driver’s side) to stop you veering over into other lane, and put a piece of sellotape on inside of your windscreen lined up with grass verge as a guide line…all this stuff is just until you get used to it, which you will .

Haven’t read the thread yet, so I may have doubled up on some other posts.

Also don’t forget that you cannot overtake on Belgium dual carriageways, only between certain hours.
you will soon get the hang of being on the right.

It’ll feel natural within an hour, impossible to go wrong when you’re on the slab. The only time I’ve been caught out is on industrial estates or when turning out of a yard or whatever. I always want to go to the left then for some reason.

Keep it as straight as you can or keep well left and turn so you can see in your mirrors at junctions. If you can’t see at all just start nosing out, those uppity foreigners will soon get the message.

Roundabouts are a bit tighter and watch when going up slip roads, some tighten right up really quick.

No overtaking zones are ignored if you’re quick enough and aren’t going to be holding anyone up. Be aware of them though.

A.

I’ve known some drivers to put something on the inside of the windscreen that lines up the kerb while they are abroad.

the only thing I would add is that the exits from major roads can be very short, with awful cambers the wrong way, I loved it, you will as well,

Make sure you have the euro vignette for Holland get the office to purchase it online for the duration that you’ll be in Holland or do it yourself using your fuel card

Make sure you have the euro vignette for Holland get the office to purchase it online for the duration that you’ll be in Holland or do it yourself using your fuel card

So have done two trips to Holland now and can safely say its not as bad as i suspected. In all honesty after an hour I barely even noticed that I was on the other side of the road, only time I was on the wrong side was in the industrial estates where it seems easy to forget yourself lol.

hammertothefloor:
So have done two trips to Holland now and can safely say its not as bad as i suspected. In all honesty after an hour I barely even noticed that I was on the other side of the road, only time I was on the wrong side was in the industrial estates where it seems easy to forget yourself lol.

A few more trips and you’ll start driving on the right in industrial bits when you get back over here …:laughing:

A.

You are worrying over nothing. You will be fine, I worried about the same thing when I first did it, it actually came naturally.

Pat Hasler:
You are worrying over nothing. You will be fine, I worried about the same thing when I first did it, it actually came naturally.

Definitely, sounds strange but driving on the right nearly feels more natural, even in a right ■■■■■■

Adonis.:

hammertothefloor:

A few more trips and you’ll start driving on the right in industrial bits when you get back over here …:laughing:

A.

Lol Adonis, Really had to think about the first roundabout as I was coming out of Killingholme, had to give it some serious though at first!

You only realise how crap our road layouts are once you have driven around in Europe for a while .
Then drive a left hook van around the UK .We cannot even plan properly for RHD vehicles in this country .
A couple of days in Europe and it gets almost natural.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

As long as there is other traffic about they act as a reminder. Came out of a pack house in Spain, single carriageway road, pitch dark, deserted, until a Renault 4 come round the corner with some enthusiasm to be confronted by a Daf 2800, whose driver had choose the wrong side of the road to drive on. No damage except for skidmarks, but they came out in the wash.

hammertothefloor:

Pleased it all slotted into place easily, I thought it would though.
2 trips you’ll be an old timer at European work in no time then. :laughing: