Advice again please!!

Nathan 121:
And the trailer he binned required the shunt button to be pressed in and out to get it to move…■■?

Given shunt should jump out the minute there is a red line connected, I find this a bit terrifying!

Cases like this make me think driving schools should not have O licenses exemptions. After all, they are now running around in loaded trucks, by their very nature the drivers are not experienced. It’s entirely down to the attitude of the trainer how much effort is spent keeping the kit in good condition or even safe.

On a different note, a longer trailer means more space to get the reverse right doesn’t it? If you are now full length (16.5m) then you get entire yard, think it was four vehicle lengths. Strangely you get less space in an 18m wag and drag and I never could figure the logic there!

driving schools should not have O licenses exemptions

I’ve always said this. It would sort out some of the rogue operators and might help raise standards in the industry.

At the moment the only standards body is the DVSA with the LGV Accreditation system which is sadly voluntary. Those of us who choose to jump the hoops and join the scheme have our training records scrutinised as well as maintenance including inspection of MOT certificates for every bit of kit on the fleet.

Naturally there are cheaper operators who don’t have to satisfy all this. Nathan’s story is a lesson to wannabees.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks th2013 hope I do get more space I think im going to need it…
Starting to worry about the size of this thing…
Especially if I get the same examiner he put me through it on my first test just wondering if I can get round again with a extra 5 feet??
Also is the rear axles in the same place on a bigger trailer and just more rear over hang?

Nathan 121:
Starting to worry about the size of this thing…

Don’t! You already have the skills needed. Just do what you already know you need to do - check mirrors before you turn, look for rear wheels clearing kerb, and check wide angle mirrors while turning, it will sail around. If you find yourself turning a bit later with this trailer, then remember your bulk head will be a bit nearer hitting things, so watch for that too.

Focus on getting to know the trailer - where parking brake is, where MOT is and ministry plate, which way you turn handle for legs down on this one, etc…!

And remember, when you pass in this, your first class 1 job can’t be a bigger trailer!

Best of luck, not that you need it!

I’ve always found full length trailer easier to manoeuvre than smaller ones. When I trained I chose a school with a full size artic and trailer. When it came to working my first ever class 1 job it was less daunting than it could have been.
Sadly, as Pete says, this type of training often comes at a higher cost.

Had a couple of hours in the bigger trailer today. .
Was ok the reverse wasn’t that much different because of the extra space.
The roundabouts was a little different the pin on this one is further back…on the tight bends and roundabouts the headboard jumps out a fair way other than that going to take my chances in the morning for test hope lady luck shines a little my way. .
I also asked the trainer “was that trailer no good on my test last week”
He replied.
“It wasn’t healthy”.

Good luck tomorrow hope it goes well for you :smiley:

yep, good luck! Tim

All the best with your test.

Well that was a fail…
5 marks on my sheet 4 in same box too slow round roundabouts… it was very wet this morning thought I was doing the right thing.
While the examiner explained he asked me why I took my time around them I said it’s just what ive been trained to do get out on to roundabouts and slow up to minimise faults. He shook his head…
my trainer reckons the examiners have something against them as they haven’t had a pass in a stack of tests. I dont think they have as examiners seem pretty professional to me im not sure whether its me are the training ive had are a mix of both.
But ive decided to scrap that and start a fresh with a different school I think…

Commiserations mate. Seems a little harsh IMHO as it’s not really a safety thing, and the kind of thing that the more you drive and get confidence you would fix yourself anyway. If it was slowing traffic behind a lot then they have to mark it down.

I’d give yourself a week off, then try an assessment at some different trainers. Maybe make it easy and look for a trainer with an auto after all you have been through. I would imagine you only need 1 days training to get used to the vehicle and possibly practice roundabouts a bit, and then test on next day.

All the best - if it was just that fault you can obviously do it - so keep going!

Nathan 121:
Well that was a fail…
5 marks on my sheet 4 in same box too slow round roundabouts… it was very wet this morning thought I was doing the right thing.
While the examiner explained he asked me why I took my time around them I said it’s just what ive been trained to do get out on to roundabouts and slow up to minimise faults. He shook his head…
my trainer reckons the examiners have something against them as they haven’t had a pass in a stack of tests. I dont think they have as examiners seem pretty professional to me im not sure whether its me are the training ive had are a mix of both.
But ive decided to scrap that and start a fresh with a different school I think…

I got to be honest, I agree with you, scrap that company.
One thing for sure, examiners like to see you getting on with it at roundabouts, to avoid slowing down traffic, especially as cars, vans etc approach roundabouts far quicker than trucks. To me, slowing down more than necessary, makes it more difficult to enter the roundabout.
Goodluck on your next test. :wink:

DAF brakes are sensitive, the pedal is a weird Yankee style as well, so if you press at the bottom like I do then you get nowt, you have to put you whole boot on the pedal & press from the top. Slow down. You’re better off failing for going too slow than going too fast.

Alarm bells would be ringing if the instructor started saying the examiners were biased against the company as they haven’t had a few passes of late.
Sorry to hear you failed. I’d defiantly be looking at another school and making a complaint to the owner of your current trainer.

Sorry to hear you failed. Going too slow on a roundabout (or anywhere else) is a serious fault as it can make other drivers impatient and do daft things. You could argue that’s down to them but that’s not how it’s viewed. It’s also seen as a general lack of competence and confidence.

I wont ask about the qualifications of your trainer; I expressed doubts about this character earlier on in the thread.

But maybe, just maybe, folks will look out for quality when booking and avoid the stress and hassle that Nathan has had.

Please find yourself a reputable trainer with good vehicles and facilities and you’re in with a fighting chance.

Can I ask what area you are in Nathan?

Thanks pete.
I live in Sprotbrough doncaster…
I went to rotherham for my training my home town so to speak but every where I turned was poor reviews and a couple of assessment drives I had in doncaster rotherham and sheffield none of them jumped out at me as being a good option so I went for one in Rotherham who I did my class 2 with but its changed with new faces and owner…
Im looking at options further afield to get the best possible training. .

Nathan 121:
Thanks pete.
I live in Sprotbrough doncaster…
I went to rotherham for my training my home town so to speak but every where I turned was poor reviews and a couple of assessment drives I had in doncaster rotherham and sheffield none of them jumped out at me as being a good option so I went for one in Rotherham who I did my class 2 with but its changed with new faces and owner…
Im looking at options further afield to get the best possible training. .

Your in between Pete and myself. Your welcome to come for a free assessment.
Feel free to PM me.

Paul :smiley:

Thanks paul I will surely do.
Cheers.

Same applies here of course.

Peter Smythe:
Same applies here of course.

I did email you earlier.
Regards.
Nathan.