Advantages/disadvantages of moving to Canada

As ever. Although I have four dependants so not as much as he’d like. I get a good refund as a rule but will have to see what happens this year. Been back full time almost a year so am away more but earn more.

Mind you, they still owe me a bunch of money for my wife.

bobthedog:
No, living allowance is somewhat different. The meal allowance is a refund from CRA. The living allowance is paid by the company. It’s a nice perk.

Wouldn’t fancy being you when the auditors come sniffing , just saying .

Funny thing. I had every year reassessed twice in the last three years.

It’s up to you in the end . We also get paid a “living allowance” but I make sure the sum total is deducted prior to any tax claim I submit at the end of the year . As NMM says it’s double dipping and they’ll catch up with you sooner or later , never worth the aggro for the sake of 3 or 4 grand .

Hkloss end of the day if you’re a long haul driver it’s great. Sure you put more miles in but hey you get paid for working your ■■■ off. Yes the winters can be hard but touch wood I only had to park up once in 2 hrs and that was due to high winds not snow. Guess I been lucky there.

You get paid for what you do. You drag the job out you don’t get so much. I’m home most weekends apart from recently but that’s by choice to grab a few extra miles to pay for vacation. If you want an easy life then probably not for you. As I said I been here 2 yrs I pay more rent for my house then I would for a mortgage I got a brand new truck on the drive and live a very comfortable life much better then I had in the UK. Couldn’t do that back home