Ackworth / Onward Transport

I recall a conversation with ted birchall one day ,i was waiting for a fittter to look at 304 and ted came across and said to me look after that wagon as it was probably the most expensive truck i had driven? to which i answered are these erf,s dearer than a scania 142,he said no so i said oh well not the dearest wagon i have driven as i had a 142 before that ,he turned around and walked away

BIG AW:

heych:

BIG AW:

seth 70:
oooohhh paul and his dad maurice ,no comment :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

To be fair never had a problem with with Maurice he was always good to me and to fez he picked us from the lads that got finished at Spillers in 85 so i had a lot of respect for him but his son was something else in a few words a complete [zb] tryd to get me sack when his dad got the managers job at no8 ,but fair play he saw what was going on and moved me back to ack not long after he had his stroke.
I was sad to hear he had pass on last year i would have gone to the funeral.
Got a few things to discuss with big head when i bump into agian , you never know he might be on here■■?

was it paul cornwell ur on about

Yes the one and only gret head !!!

I work with him and Barry Mitchell at Next,he’s one of the nicest blokes at next is paul,he was there same time as me but he was at south Kirby and I was at ackworth

heych:

BIG AW:

heych:

BIG AW:

seth 70:
oooohhh paul and his dad maurice ,no comment :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

To be fair never had a problem with with Maurice he was always good to me and to fez he picked us from the lads that got finished at Spillers in 85 so i had a lot of respect for him but his son was something else in a few words a complete [zb] tryd to get me sack when his dad got the managers job at no8 ,but fair play he saw what was going on and moved me back to ack not long after he had his stroke.
I was sad to hear he had pass on last year i would have gone to the funeral.
Got a few things to discuss with big head when i bump into agian , you never know he might be on here■■?

was it paul cornwell ur on about

Yes the one and only gret head !!!

I work with him and Barry Mitchell at Next,he’s one of the nicest blokes at next is paul,he was there same time as me but he was at south Kirby and I was at ackworth

Well he as ■■■■■■■ changed then !!!

A few old pics from when Ackworth Transport run over seas.
Permission from Onward Holdings to post.

A few more again kind permission from Oward Holdings.

A few more.

Three-lorries-in-a-row-1024x682.png

Those are absolutely fantastic BIG AW - well posted! This period of British-Continental transport history is not so well-recorded as the '70s & '80s were. These are valuable archives, so thanks for sharing them. Robert :slight_smile:

SUPER Big AW those pictures taken in Antwerp. Many thanks :smiley:

wow andy what great photos,when I started in 1971 we were driving albions and the old trunkers ,as I was only a nipper (25) I remember some even older on the hill at the back of the wharehouse, boy do they bring back memories, before I came to onward I worked for eric attwood from ackworth, we ran out of redferns glass in monk Bretton, so I remember all the old ones,getting a job at onward was the ultimate for me,obviously I went to the best depot ( cas ) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , the points system was great for me, cowboy hat and spurs and stuff the rules money money, we were all earning near £300 pw in the mid 70s,best job ever,onward/ackwoth passing brs-yeardleys-wh malcoms-nmt, over the a66,we were crazy,then along came tachos,easy peasy :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: .so if we were earning, the firm must have been earing big bucks…i think the buffalos nearly ruined onward tho :smiley: :smiley: , so when mr jolly bought erfs we were back on track again :smiley: :smiley: then that bloke with the walking stick arrived, did they call him ramsey or something,i think he was an hatchet man, put everytbody on to hours, end of the firm as we knew it,it was great for all the lazy buggers no names mentioned :smiling_imp: :twisted but the grafters hated it ,but I dropped on with the night trunk to Berwick,but once again andy fantastic pics :smiley: :smiley: can we turn the clock back please and do it all again,royhebb

royhebb2:
wow andy what great photos,when I started in 1971 we were driving albions and the old trunkers ,as I was only a nipper (25) I remember some even older on the hill at the back of the wharehouse, boy do they bring back memories, before I came to onward I worked for eric attwood from ackworth, we ran out of redferns glass in monk Bretton, so I remember all the old ones,getting a job at onward was the ultimate for me,obviously I went to the best depot ( cas ) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , the points system was great for me, cowboy hat and spurs and stuff the rules money money, we were all earning near £300 pw in the mid 70s,best job ever,onward/ackwoth passing brs-yeardleys-wh malcoms-nmt, over the a66,we were crazy,then along came tachos,easy peasy :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: .so if we were earning, the firm must have been earing big bucks…i think the buffalos nearly ruined onward tho :smiley: :smiley: , so when mr jolly bought erfs we were back on track again :smiley: :smiley: then that bloke with the walking stick arrived, did they call him ramsey or something,i think he was an hatchet man, put everytbody on to hours, end of the firm as we knew it,it was great for all the lazy buggers no names mentioned :smiling_imp: :twisted but the grafters hated it ,but I dropped on with the night trunk to Berwick,but once again andy fantastic pics :smiley: :smiley: can we turn the clock back please and do it all again,royhebb

Aye up Roy yes he was a hatchet man still times change but i often wonder what if ■■? got permission from Neil Storey to post those photos he says he as more to show when he can find them !!

not sure if I ever posted this or not…

LeeJ:
not sure if I ever posted this or not…

Yes LEEJ you had nevermind that seddy was driven by Tommy (oppersite ) Paton got it from new never went above 45 mph up hill down dale, when you were unlukey enough to drive it you had to rev the ■■■■■■ up because it wasnt used to it felt like you had the trl brake on.

aup andy that looks like tommy patons old wagon,do you remember tommy, I think he was actually Scottish, kept it spotless, I took it to Berwick one night, he checked it over like a mother hen, but I don’t smoke so he let me off, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

royhebb2:
aup andy that looks like tommy patons old wagon,do you remember tommy, I think he was actually Scottish, kept it spotless, I took it to Berwick one night, he checked it over like a mother hen, but I don’t smoke so he let me off, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ups didn’t see the paragraph under the photo, :blush:

royhebb2:

royhebb2:

ups didn’t see the paragraph under the photo, :blush:

Ohhhhh bless old age eh Roy :smiley: :smiley:

A few more from Ackworth Contenental
Permission from Onward Holdings.

A few more pics to jog the old mind

A few more

Hiya…that tilt trailer built on a 4in line trailer must have been a early example for continental work.
also a lot of fun to tow, they wasn’t the best of setups but you got more brakes…possibly more breaks
if you got a blow out…by the way great photo,s of some old tackle.thanks for showing them.

it must have a strong jobby that 4 in line tilt. i see a chap standing on the roof looking quite safe…LOL
John

just saw the pic of the crusader,look,s like the one corgi done a few year ago