Ackworth / Onward Transport

BIG AW:

kevmac47:

1159jrh:

kevmac47:
Great to hear from you John, yes I often parked at ELPM en-route to Stanlow. I think you got your fleet number wrong! I had D916 WJX with that fleet no. After I left Onward (as you say the best job ever) I became an owner driver,(1992 til Feb 2012) I then retired for a few weeks :smiley: :smiley: and now I have a job on day work for Tyneside Express. Have you any photos of your time at Onward and what are you doing now? Regards Kev.
Ps you can find a shot of 324 on page one of this thread.

I see the fleet no is 385 did I misread it?

HI Kev great to hear from you i may be mistaken ref the fleet no but i do have some nice photo’s and as soon as i can work out how to post them i will . After the Bewick takeover i worked for a further 2 years at ELPM and then i was lucky to get a start at Rank Hovis on Trafford Park ,and thats where i am to day it will be 19 years in september so i was surprised you remebered me
I was being a bit unfair in my description of Bewick’s on the whole they were a decent company to work for,and to be honest i quite enjoyed it, But having worked for onward it just wasn’t the same .
I still have the plate to commemorate Onwards anniversary that all employees got,still in the box in the cupboard upstairs Ha HA .
Great to hear you did ok after it finished there were a lot of decent lads there,i certainly enjoyed my time
Cheers John

I had forgotten about the plate John, I still have mine in the loft somewhere. regards Kev.

If you had stopped a few more years kev you would have got a knife and fork as well HA HA

Them Geordies dont need a Knife and fork to eat a stottie cake

BIG AW:
Aye up Roy laughing to mi sen reading your posts never seen you with a rope in thi hand HA HA only kidding ant seen you in bus fora bit as tha hung up thi guns and put thi slippers on■■?

big aw, big aw.youve got one up on me, do you work at c&t in knottingley, is it you wardy, i see you mentioned fez, what a lad he was,is he still at c&t at whitley bridge,no im still working go a different way now, doing more miles now than ever shssss, just in case vosa are watching lol,

royhebb:

BIG AW:
Aye up Roy laughing to mi sen reading your posts never seen you with a rope in thi hand HA HA only kidding ant seen you in bus fora bit as tha hung up thi guns and put thi slippers on■■?

big aw, big aw.youve got one up on me, do you work at c&t in knottingley, is it you wardy, i see you mentioned fez, what a lad he was,is he still at c&t at whitley bridge,no im still working go a different way now, doing more miles now than ever shssss, just in case vosa are watching lol,

if thy is wardy i wa r&s before tha wa born lol bit barnsley init

royhebb:

royhebb:

BIG AW:

if thy is wardy i wa r&s before tha wa born lol bit barnsley init

Yes it is i Roy you have sussed me out i will try to speak the queens english HA HA no mate fez left C.T a long time ago i still keep in touch tho he is working for lecky board on grab wagon changing all street lights. it made me laugh about the ropes and sheets tho that my my ist job at ack when i came from south kirkby roping and sheeting thames board tip the night trunk 1st then on with the loading and shunting steady job till it was lost dont know if i could do it now to many puddings under my belt i wasnt 19 stone then i can still throw a dolly but tautliners are better.Good job too these days some of the drivers have all on openning the curtains if there was flats the job would grind to a holt but the good old days are best even tho its only 20 years os so ago i learnt more then working on the yard than they do now, its all go go go i would go back tho but it wouldnt be the same. Feel a bit depressed now got another 20 to work HA HA

Aye up kev hows tricks i thought you were retiring ■■? see you are back on the job whats up cant get the derv out off your blood HA HA
Hope you can help me out i have heard that simpsons have sold out keep hearing diffrent tales this and that dont get to know facts since i packed in the tramping. I heard that Peter Simpson was seen driving for Elddis have you heard owt ■■?

BIG AW:
Aye up kev hows tricks i thought you were retiring ■■? see you are back on the job whats up cant get the derv out off your blood HA HA
Hope you can help me out i have heard that simpsons have sold out keep hearing diffrent tales this and that dont get to know facts since i packed in the tramping. I heard that Peter Simpson was seen driving for Elddis have you heard owt ■■?

Andy, I sold the motor at the end of Feb. work was quite bad at the time so I had a decision to make. I had a very good offer for the motor and although I wasn’t 65 until July I decided to get out. I did a bit holiday relief, then got the chance of a full time job so I took it, finding any job in this area is difficult so I think I was quite lucky as my age (over 45 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: ) was against me.
Simpsons did sell out a while ago and I did hear that Peter Simpson was working for Elddis, as far as I know the depot is only leased to the new owners. I did do one shift on agency a while back and the motor was a disgrace, a fact PS will not be happy with as his name is still on the door.
Regards Kev. by the way dont get at geordies for their table manners, you yorkies cant afford plates so you put your dinner inside the yorkshire puds. :wink: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

kevmac47:

BIG AW:

Andy, I sold the motor at the end of Feb. work was quite bad at the time so I had a decision to make. I had a very good offer for the motor and although I wasn’t 65 until July I decided to get out. I did a bit holiday relief, then got the chance of a full time job so I took it, finding any job in this area is difficult so I think I was quite lucky as my age (over 45 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: ) was against me.
Simpsons did sell out a while ago and I did hear that Peter Simpson was working for Elddis, as far as I know the depot is only leased to the new owners. I did do one shift on agency a while back and the motor was a disgrace, a fact PS will not be happy with as his name is still on the door.
Regards Kev. by the way dont get at geordies for their table manners, you yorkies cant afford plates so you put your dinner inside the yorkshire puds. :wink: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Aye up kev your right about PS he was a funny bloke at times but the tackle was always turned out nice even when i worked for him all i can say is he must have been in a real pickle to sell the firm because he was very focused on most things to let it slip like that.
Time is flying kev been to my dads today its is birthday today 68 the old sod still as you remember him all he does is fish and make stuff in his garage but he is happy buy the way we put dinner inside the yorkies so the gravy doesnt run out onto the table HA HA

Andy, wish Derek all the best from me, sounds like he is enjoying retirement. I think Peter Simpson sold out because of all the hassle, new rules and the reccession, like most of us when we get a bit older we finally think it’s no longer worth the trouble. Three years ago I never even thought about selling up in fact I was planning on buying a new tractor. Then the reccession really bit me in the arse, luckily I had not saddled myself with any debt so I just puddled along and kept going. With classic 20/20 hindsight I should have got out then and found a job. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:
Andy, wish Derek all the best from me, sounds like he is enjoying retirement. I think Peter Simpson sold out because of all the hassle, new rules and the reccession, like most of us when we get a bit older we finally think it’s no longer worth the trouble. Three years ago I never even thought about selling up in fact I was planning on buying a new tractor. Then the reccession really bit me in the arse, luckily I had not saddled myself with any debt so I just puddled along and kept going. With classic 20/20 hindsight I should have got out then and found a job. Regards Kev.

I will pass your regards on kev, you might have saved yourself some heartache not buying a new unit mate at least now you can say yes or no you ,ve no pressure when the snows on the ground in a few months time. Ive sent you a PM with some info ok
Cheers
Andy

kevmac47:

BIG AW:

hey up Kevmac, ttha cud get a public warning for that comment thanose i hev mi yorsheer pud then i hev mi dinner ar lass meks yorksheer puds as big as hub caps mid thi shis a geordie i ed 2 train her wi me bein fro Barnsley used to work fo MYATTS/MASONS nice to ev a larf innit.RAY :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

found these in my albums i drove 304 from workington to ackworth and also done deliveries in leeds,liverpool,and north wales.

little ha ba:
found these in my albums i drove 304 from workington to ackworth and also done deliveries in leeds,liverpool,and north wales.

Those are good old pics mate bring back some memories those flats were turned into tauts after the Thames Board job went looks like one or two of them flats were hire trls judging by the paint work

Kevin,
Here is a smaller version of John Yendalls, motor G267DCX and trl LT11 .

ERF64cu1:
Kevin,

Aye up ERF64cu1 they are top class mate where did you get the info for the models and the livery spec if iam right 370 was driven by a old selby old hand called archie wood or arthur wood i used to call him by both names and he repled to both he was a sound old guy never said a boo to a goose just got on with it never heard him say a bad word about anybody or anything.
Regards
BIG AW

BIG AW:

ERF64cu1:
Kevin,

Aye up ERF64cu1 they are top class mate where did you get the info for the models and the livery spec if iam right 370 was driven by a old selby old hand called archie wood or arthur wood i used to call him by both names and he repled to both he was a sound old guy never said a boo to a goose just got on with it never heard him say a bad word about anybody or anything.
Regards
BIG AW

Sorry mate grey cells have had a blip old archie wood drove 372 sorry for the confusen but the model is the dogs

Big AW, 370 was the last new motor that came to Birtley. Dont know where it went to after that, when Birtley closed in April 92.
Iain
Ps the photo’s from Birtley that Kevin put up where taken by me.

ERF64cu1:
Big AW, 370 was the last new motor that came to Birtley. Dont know where it went to after that, when Birtley closed in April 92.
Iain
Ps the photo’s from Birtley that Kevin put up where taken by me.

Andy, Iain worked in the office at Birtley, he never had enough work of his own so he was always in the yard doing everyone else’s job!! :imp: :imp: Ps it took me YEARS to get him to tie a proper dolly :unamused: :unamused: (also his sheeting was good for a laugh for quite a while) :unamused: :unamused:. Iain youve made a cracking job of 370. Regards Kev.

Ray Leggy:

kevmac47:

BIG AW:

hey up Kevmac, ttha cud get a public warning for that comment thanose i hev mi yorsheer pud then i hev mi dinner ar lass meks yorksheer puds as big as hub caps mid thi shis a geordie i ed 2 train her wi me bein fro Barnsley used to work fo MYATTS/MASONS nice to ev a larf innit.RAY :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I agree with you Ray, I love a bit of mickey taking, I always get back as good as I give. Ps good job I can read Barnsley innit? :smiley: Regards Kev.

Aye up kev who is in the Birtley yard now last i heard somebody told me Stan Robinson had some tackle in there ■■?
i think that the yard was sold as well a few years ago.

Here is a few pics that ive dug up this photo is on the yard at Ackworth i think dont know the date but the fleet nos and the model should put a timescale on it

6318936400_f5abc8c6e9_z.jpg