Ackworth / Onward Transport

A few more.
A load of waste must have been just loaded because thats not the mill at Purfleet.

$_12.jpg

more good pics again, that load of waste might have been at those wharehouses that onward bought just round corner from purfleet yard on a13, and it does look like a shunter by the state of it its filthy :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , I saw my mates white scania at your yard the other day picking some blue xxxxxxxx up, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , keep finding the pics andy,

SHYTOT:
Steve Saxon and a few more owner drivers still park at Ackworth albeit near the big shed in the top yard behind the new houses

You are right shytot,ive been past today and theres a good few lorrys parked up for the weekend,they all looked like owner drivers,they park on the right hand side just as you go into the houses…it looks like onward have still got the office there aswell.

BIG AW:
More pics.
I think one off these as come up on another topic didnt mean to pinch them.

Evening all ,Ican remember going to liverpool docks in the 60,s with my dad to load wool and on one occasion our wagon would not start ,there were some of ackworth,s motors there a dodge and a daf,the first time i ,d seen one the driver of it backed up to us to give us a bump start and we,d have at least 30 ton of monty,s on it would be either the canada dock or gladston or the alec dock ,i dont know what the ackworth lad s had on,did they do any wool ? dont suppose anyone can remember this;
cheer,s Richard.

does anybody remember tommy hoptons of Castleford, they were bought out by ackworth, back in the sixties, then renamed onward road transport, I started for onward in 1972, there was still hoptons drivers working there, anybody still around :laughing: :laughing: will try and get some better photos, tommy hoptons grandson is still working in Castleford but now repairs and makes pallets,the hopton name is carried on :smiley:

Found some good old photos of ackworth transport,have a look on [onward holdings ]website ,click on about us and look at all the old images :wink: big aw and roy hebb could have allready seen them.

seth 70:
Found some good old photos of ackworth transport,have a look on [onward holdings ]website ,click on about us and look at all the old images :wink: big aw and roy hebb could have allready seen them.

I have posted them on here Seth mate

BIG AW:

seth 70:

It looks like malcolms have moved out of the new warehouse that was built next to number 8,thats still not used aswell.

seth 70:

BIG AW:

seth 70:

It looks like malcolms have moved out of the new warehouse that was built next to number 8,thats still not used aswell.

They have moved to Norminton behind the new Dunhills factory its rented but lokking to buy.

Hiya andy long time no hear.ive been a bit busy with second job…helping a mate out

royhebb2:
2Hiya andy long time no hear.ive been a bit busy with second job…helping a mate out

its just like shellin peas, tell c & t if there stuck ,just ring :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: lol

royhebb2:
2Hiya andy long time no hear.ive been a bit busy with second job…helping a mate out

TUT TUT Roy using straps on a flat whats up with ropes shame on you :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

BIG AW:

royhebb2:

TUT TUT Roy using straps on a flat whats up with ropes shame on you :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Dont worry.i asked him for some ropes.but they dont have any.and throwing straps over pallets 25 high aint easy…anyway i dont know if its true but vosa say ropes arnt good enough due to health and saftey…does anybody know :confused:

royhebb2:

BIG AW:

royhebb2:

Dont worry.i asked him for some ropes.but they dont have any.and throwing straps over pallets 25 high aint easy…anyway i dont know if its true but vosa say ropes arnt good enough due to health and saftey…does anybody know :confused:

That’s correct, I read an article in the C/Motor where a drive was fined a £100.00. It was the police that stopped him & told him he should have straps instead of ropes, The driver said OK How many straps should I put on, The Policeman repied I DONT KNOW, Regards Larry.

Yes i thought so.my son drives for keedwells and they have been told by vosa that straps must be used even though the packs of blocks are shrinkwrapped and sides on the trailer etc etc .health & safety gone crazy.
so yes your right larry… :imp:

dont trust straps they can break and the load can move,i can remember piggy backing two trailers from ackworth to workington and Lewis helped me rope them and the ropes were tighter than guitar strings and lewis said they will never move and he was right. good old days

little ha ba:
dont trust straps they can break and the load can move,i can remember piggy backing two trailers from ackworth to workington and Lewis helped me rope them and the ropes were tighter than guitar strings and lewis said they will never move and he was right. good old days

Very true Les them barrell hitches dont move, old Lewis god rest his soul .

Keep up the good work like that the pictures, not sure about old
Gizzer tho

Geezer typo sorry got new phone