A556 Gatso got me

Nearly every time I go south I use the A556 link road. The amount of times I have been called a [zb],for keeping to the limit and holding the so called pro,s up is untrue.
I spoke to one “driver” recently who said he loves to make the reps in their mondeos etc. wait behind him,WHY■■?, they,re going to overtake on the M-way so why hold them back on the A556.
I think from the Boden roundabout to jct.19 there should be no overtaking by HGV,s, what are you going to lose in 3 miles.
I suppose some of you will be calling me a [zb] again.

I forgot to mention the other thread that Carryfast brought up.

“How fast did they go” Well uphill not very fast, an F86 grossing 32tonne was never going to break any land speed records but it didn’t stop many drivers wanting them. I can remember my Scania 140 that did 80mph and my mates Transcon was slightly faster :open_mouth: , the requirement for these speeds was a good long downhill stretch, 20 tonne of timber and the innocence of youth. I can still envisage the mess on the A1 as the cheap remoulds we could get finally expired in a cloud of dust and twisted metal :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember going over to Ruabon one Saturday morning with a tanker load of hazardous, a B series ERF with a 14 litre ■■■■■■■ and grossing 38tonne, it was knocking on for 85mph dropping down from Scammonden dam towards Windy Hill. I later saw the error of my ways, in the same way as I stopped sticking my fingers in live 15 amp sockets.

Wheel Nut:
I read your link, an interesting concept and another push for LHV from a consulting agency. I doubt the rest of the fatherland are going to put up with that though. Whether you believe the climate change argument or not, I doubt the people in Germany will be happy to see a 48 tonne truck with 2 trailers running on the many 2 lane motorways. As you will know there are vast numbers of the BAB that are restricted to a single lane for heavy trucks. The general limit in Holland & Germany is 80km or 60km on most country roads, with even lower 50km speeds in built up areas.

I mentioned that France ran at higher speeds which you then used as a bone of contention in your reasoning. 30 years ago the roads were much less congested than today, This thread hasn’t really anything to do with the rail argument, which I have said in many posts is not the whole answer, however to move huge quantities of fuel, oil, chemicals or wheat, it has to be more economical, road friendly and more efficient to have one or two engines do the work of sixty lorries. No-one wants to drive a supermarket trolley locally when the open road beckons. I didn’t have the opportunity like you to drive in every state of the USA, but did my fair share in Europe and most drivers did actually stick to the lower limits, Italy and Portugal apparently were very expensive and the fines were levied on the spot. What we did do was to act like the locals, unobtrusive, plenty of small breaks and plenty of hours:P

This thread could be batted back and forth for weeks without resolve. However my stance remains, listen to the radio between 6am and 1900 tomorrow and tell me how many accidents & road closures you hear about. If drivers do not behave themselves, then current legislation will be tightened to make us conform.

As I am typing this, a good mate is reading it over my shoulder, he hasn’t driven a truck since Tilling Stevens stopped supplying the engines but his rant is the stupidity seen on the A42 / M42 with the two trucks overtaking for 9.7 miles with a speed difference that needs measuring with a motor racing transponder.

I was mainly making the point that in that link they were also calling for an increase in the European motorway speeds to 100 kmh for trucks in addition to double trailer 48 tonners but why they can’t be 72 tonners using a 32 tonner 8 wheeler rigid hauling a 40 tonne drawbar trailer beats me?.Who needs double trailers with that configuration?.But I reckon that your figures for rail versus road there are’nt based on that type of gross weight trucks and the 6,000 hp that train needs to do the work of those 60 40 tonners don’t seem so economical when you factor in all trucks needed at each rail head to finish the job of getting the freight from collection point to delivery point.But you’re right about all those accidents reported on the radio caused by knackered drivers running into things because of too many hours spent on the road getting from A to B at too slow speeds and all bunched up together by speed limiters.

rocky 7:
I think from the Boden roundabout to jct.19 there should be no overtaking by HGV,s, what are you going to lose in 3 miles.

If they all did 40, the legal limit, then would there be any overtaking ■■?

Wheel Nut:
I forgot to mention the other thread that Carryfast brought up.

“How fast did they go” Well uphill not very fast, an F86 grossing 32tonne was never going to break any land speed records but it didn’t stop many drivers wanting them. I can remember my Scania 140 that did 80mph and my mates Transcon was slightly faster :open_mouth: , the requirement for these speeds was a good long downhill stretch, 20 tonne of timber and the innocence of youth. I can still envisage the mess on the A1 as the cheap remoulds we could get finally expired in a cloud of dust and twisted metal :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember going over to Ruabon one Saturday morning with a tanker load of hazardous, a B series ERF with a 14 litre ■■■■■■■ and grossing 38tonne, it was knocking on for 85mph dropping down from Scammonden dam towards Windy Hill. I later saw the error of my ways, in the same way as I stopped sticking my fingers in live 15 amp sockets.

I was’nt one of those drivers who wanted an F86 because I knew how fast they could go but they were obsolete anyway by the time I got started and even the F89 was’nt on my wishlist.I reckon that most of the DAF 2800 artics which I drove would have been able to match the downhill speed which your mate’s transconti or an F10 could manage downhill,on the flat and given a 3300 I reckon that an F12 would’nt have stood a chance.But if you’ve tried a 12 Litre + Detroit powered wagon then you’d know how slow a 14 Litre ■■■■■■■ powered one is.But I’d given up trying to put my fingers in 15 amp sockets and decided to drive trucks instead because that’s a lot safer.But I was lucky to be working for firms which did’nt use retreads. :laughing: :laughing:

Ask to see the photos, then write back and tell them that the images supplied do not meet section 19 of version 2.3 of the ACPO Code of Practice for the Operational Use of Enforcement Equipment, which requires that the make and colour of the vehicle must verifiable, and tell them that the record of the information required by type approval is not complete in that the photographs do not show the number plate attached to the vehicle.

When a Gatso flashes an artic, the tractor unit is out of the shot, the most that can ever be seen is the drive axle, and this evidence will not stand up in court. Been there, done that, got the clean licence to prove it :wink:

Harry Monk:
Ask to see the photos, then write back and tell them that the images supplied do not meet section 19 of version 2.3 of the ACPO Code of Practice for the Operational Use of Enforcement Equipment, which requires that the make and colour of the vehicle must verifiable, and tell them that the record of the information required by type approval is not complete in that the photographs do not show the number plate attached to the vehicle.

When a Gatso flashes an artic, the tractor unit is out of the shot, the most that can ever be seen is the drive axle, and this evidence will not stand up in court. Been there, done that, got the clean licence to prove it :wink:

Great stuff Harry maybe that’s why so many people like towing caravans.When I was on night trunking it was common for the number plates we carried for the trailers to get mixed up between the different units and prime movers which we were using but that was before cameras.So if that was today after they’d gone to all the trouble of finding a truck which had set off a camera in Yorhshire while it was actually in Bristol we could have just told them that it did’nt matter anyway because it’s only the one attached to the unit which matters and the photo does’nt show that.Maybe that’s why they’ve put in those very nasty Truvelo ones which get you from the front and if that one does’nt get you the specs average speed ones further down the road probably will.It’s a different world out there now Harry and it’s war against the motorist and road transport and we’re losing.

The 556 must be in the top 10 revenue generating sites