A34 crash - August

I don’t have a limpers earing, and i’m not going to spend my hard limped cash on one for the firm. So instead I have my phone in a holder facing me and if the office call I can see it pop up. Then I will pull over and call them back. Yes it takes more time and when ur hourly paid that’s the point! This whole industry is all about rushing around like an idiot, and it’s very easy to get caught up in it, which is probably what happened to this driver…

I think the mobile phone is a bit of a red herring in this case, as previous posters have mentioned you don’t need to keep looking at a hands free to be talking on it. I remember reading somewhere about this particular crash that he was using the phone for music and was busy with whatever it is he was doing with the phone relating to the music.
In which case this has nothing to do with him using a mobile phone, but more to do with driving without due care and attention/ dangerous driving.
I think it’s convenient for the authorities to be mentioning the mobile phone , without actually mentioning the circumstances it was being used.
If he had been adjusting the radio would we be seeing the same reactions?

Not defending him by the way and I have no other interest in the case more than any one else on here, if you can’t drive on our roads without ploughing into stationary traffic you shouldn’t be on them.

doesnt death by dangrous driving carry a max for 5 yrs doesnt it? unless its changed

I thought it was six years - unless THAT has been changed?

Five years for “Grievous Bodily Harm”…

Yes, it has changed. The maximum sentence for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving is 14 years. It’s only 5 years for Causing Death by Careless Driving.

And the maximum sentence for GBH is not five years, it’s life imprisonment… 5 years is the maximum for the lesser charge of S20 Wounding.

cupidstunt:
I think the mobile phone is a bit of a red herring in this case, as previous posters have mentioned you don’t need to keep looking at a hands free to be talking on it. I remember reading somewhere about this particular crash that he was using the phone for music and was busy with whatever it is he was doing with the phone relating to the music.
In which case this has nothing to do with him using a mobile phone, but more to do with driving without due care and attention/ dangerous driving.
I think it’s convenient for the authorities to be mentioning the mobile phone , without actually mentioning the circumstances it was being used.
If he had been adjusting the radio would we be seeing the same reactions?

Not defending him by the way and I have no other interest in the case more than any one else on here, if you can’t drive on our roads without ploughing into stationary traffic you shouldn’t be on them.

That’s interesting, but as you say it wouldn’t have the same effect to say he was messing about with an Ipod, which seem’s to be what you are saying. As with all these things, the prosecuting authorities have their hobby horses, and mobile phones are high on the list at the moment :unamused:

Roymondo:
Yes, it has changed. The maximum sentence for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving is 14 years. It’s only 5 years for Causing Death by Careless Driving.

And the maximum sentence for GBH is not five years, it’s life imprisonment… 5 years is the maximum for the lesser charge of S20 Wounding.

WTF is S20 wounding? I know what SO19 wounding is. :wink:

Next Question: Is “Life Imprisonment” still 25 years, or do we have “Whole of life tariff” as standard, now that we’re not gonna get stopped by Strasbourg for dishing out such sentences? :confused:

Section 18 GBH - Effectively Wounding etc with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm.
Section 20 Wounding - Pretty much the same but without the intent (to inflict GBH).
Both are offences under the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act.

Life Imprisonment has never (TTBOMK) meant “25 years”. It has always meant that the offender would remain “on licence” (and liable to be recalled to prison) for the rest of his life even after he had been released from custody.

burnley-si:
doesnt death by dangrous driving carry a max for 5 yrs doesnt it? unless its changed

14 years :sunglasses:

Winseer:

Roymondo:

WTF is S20 wounding? I know what SO19 wounding is. :wink:

Next Question: Is “Life Imprisonment” still 25 years, or do we have “Whole of life tariff” as standard, now that we’re not gonna get stopped by Strasbourg for dishing out such sentences? :confused:

the lads that murdered my wifes brother,they got life, min on 17yrs and min 19yrs, but thats earliest the can apply to get out on licence, and they never get it on there 1st go

eddie snax:

Uncle Albie:
Sorry Eddie but I did not realise I had said that this paticular driver had taken his eyes off the road.
All I said was in my opinion hands free can be just as much of a distraction and can and has caused serious accidents.

Uncle Albie:
Crashes like these show how much of a distraction talking on a phone can be. The sooner hands free becomes illegal as well (and they will) the sooner other road users and pedestrians will be far safer. Bring it on asap.

Fair comment, I can see you didn’t directly reference this particular case, but the post made in this thread, about that particular accident, I hope you can understand why I read it in that manner, and came to that conclusion :wink:

I do disagree about the hands free though, mainly because I believe its down to bad driving. The stance put out by researchers is that a passenger will assess the situation and temper the conversation accordingly, but in my experience this doesn’t always happen, even if the passenger holds a driving licence and therefore should have more idea of when to shut up. How many times have you had to ask a passenger to shut up, plenty I would reckon, so why not do this when talking on a phone on hands free, and if they fail to shut up end the call simples :wink:

I hear what you are saying Eddie but unfortunately we are dealing with drivers that either don’t have the intelligence to know when not to talk on a phone or the selfish ones that just do not care or the arrogant ones that think they are capable of talking and driving at the same time no matter what is going on.

Possibly if all drivers did like you did it might be ok but we are dealing with people that do not realise the dangers on the roads or just ignore them and that is why we will all be crawling round at 20 mph in a vehicle controlled by electronics very soon.

On Monday night, driving up to Shap roadworks @ Jnc 39, passing night trunk wagons, the number of drivers, using a mobile phone and even One with a iPad on the steering wheel :open_mouth: not naming names but trucks from well know haulage firms, :unamused: One driver from B*%%faload. Even managed to go from the hard shoulder to lane 2 while I started to pass him, yes the iPad driver

tarmactipper:
On Monday night, driving up to Shap roadworks @ Jnc 39, passing night trunk wagons, the number of drivers, using a mobile phone and even One with a iPad on the steering wheel :open_mouth: not naming names but trucks from well know haulage firms, :unamused: One driver from B*%%faload. Even managed to go from the hard shoulder to lane 2 while I started to pass him, yes the iPad driver

And drivers are wondering why firms are thinking about in cab cameras :unamused: :unamused:

The JCB driver I was working with today is friends with a witness of this crash. He said the sight of the squashed car with a hand sticking out with never leave him.
Apparently the idiot that caused it was heard trying to blame the horse box driver in front for being so slow up the hill. :unamused:
Wonder if this ■■■■■■ will be deported once his poxy sentance is (half) served. :unamused:

Our other local idiot was in the news today. This scumbag ploughed into a queue of traffic at 56mph - he didn’t even see it.

10 years so out in 5.
oxfordmail.co.uk/news/148335 … _released/

I’ve never used a phone at the wheel. It’s out of reach from me in my cab, so it can’t cause a distraction either.

How many can honestly say they’ve never “fingered that phone whilst on the move”?