A1 transport,leeds

just had a text from mr stuart sugden about the next reunion jack graham my self and others are planning to get all bradford leeds drivers and staff from diferent firms to gether to meet people that we havent seen for years in one place what do you all think it can happen through word of mouth or face book or the local paper sugestions please :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

stuart broughton:
mr ellener was your dad jack ellener because ithink we worked together at a one

yes stuart he died in 2001of cancer, he ended his days at a.one on the containers driving an old 86.he could never understand how a good firm could go bad like that but he worked for jack robbie not mcgee.I used to love going with my dad in the 60,s.he started at jack lane hunslet and i used to collect his wage from the pub near the yard i think it was called the carpenters.I am glad someone remembers him he did over 25 years there.

your old man was one of the best he allways had time to help new drivers if i am right he and roy thompson were best of mates cos roy took me under his wing to show me the ropes and i ended up driving abroad and yes J R was a good man but that ■■■■ magee ruined a good firm that was well liked all over the uk and europe he new nothing about road haulage rusell hutchinson told him time&time again not to bye broke firms and end the future of a grate firm like A ONE but as long as we have good memmorys of people like your dad A ONE will never be forgotten keep in touch next reunion comming soon all the best stuart b

stuart broughton:
your old man was one of the best he allways had time to help new drivers if i am right he and roy thompson were best of mates cos roy took me under his wing to show me the ropes and i ended up driving abroad and yes J R was a good man but that [zb] magee ruined a good firm that was well liked all over the uk and europe he new nothing about road haulage rusell hutchinson told him time&time again not to bye broke firms and end the future of a grate firm like A ONE but as long as we have good memmorys of people like your dad A ONE will never be forgotten keep in touch next reunion comming soon all the best stuart b

Thanks for that stuart, yes he was a good one when he got ill he couldnt get nothing off the state ,he ended up with a scooter off the british legion, so much for working all your life.hope you are well and if you go to the a.one bash please remember jack ellener to everyone . all the best, jeff.

stuart broughton:
just had a text from mr stuart sugden about the next reunion jack graham my self and others are planning to get all bradford leeds drivers and staff from diferent firms to gether to meet people that we havent seen for years in one place what do you all think it can happen through word of mouth or face book or the local paper sugestions please :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

good idea,i was at the other do in bradford when a one had there last do,it was good to see so many old faces,had a smashing night,i heard about it through word of mouth.

jeffrey ellener:

stuart broughton:
your old man was one of the best he allways had time to help new drivers if i am right he and roy thompson were best of mates cos roy took me under his wing to show me the ropes and i ended up driving abroad and yes J R was a good man but that [zb] magee ruined a good firm that was well liked all over the uk and europe he new nothing about road haulage rusell hutchinson told him time&time again not to bye broke firms and end the future of a grate firm like A ONE but as long as we have good memmorys of people like your dad A ONE will never be forgotten keep in touch next reunion comming soon all the best stuart b

Thanks for that stuart, yes he was a good one when he got ill he couldnt get nothing off the state ,he ended up with a scooter off the british legion, so much for working all your life.hope you are well and if you go to the a.one bash please remember jack ellener to everyone . all the best, jeff.

ps i,ve got a picture of him in a aec mercury i will try and get it on,he also drove a mammoth major 6166 UM wagon and drag plus he did the gas pipes from motherwell 60 foot long on a bogie Joe Spieght got it after my dad

kojak, there is obviously a conspiracy by CIA or similar which has eradicated any proof of a-one ever having existed from the face of the earth :open_mouth: i’ve been trying to find photos and/or info for years without success (kate did promise some photos but i think she’s been silenced :wink: )

i even spoke to their old european division boss a few months ago, but will smith and tommy lee jones obviously got there first with their magic pens - he has NO photos at all, hmmmm…

as a young 'un i knew lots of their drivers, good firm and paid excellent money for the time - didn’t go bump as far as i can make out, just packed up one day

Hi all, it’s nice to see that people are looking at the site after a long time off, reading the latest messages you all, it’s something I’m all for by trying to get as many drivers together from our area, “Leeds & Bradford” etc, since we were all in the same job we must know most of them, and it will be great if we can expand our little get-together and make it a night to remember, and if we can get it started as soon as possible and let them all know, I’m all for it.
So seeing that were getting more looking at the site let’s get it moving, you can let me know as soon as possible which date’s you would all like it next time, we can let Stuart Broughton book the venue since every-one knows where it is, or even some of your ideas to make it another successful day to remember. Best of luck to you all, Jack :confused: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

jeff if you go on my facebook you will see a long long row of AECs mamoths mercuarys fl7s fl 10s erfs

stuart broughton:
jeff if you go on my facebook you will see a long long row of AECs mamoths mercuarys fl7s fl 10s erfs

the one Ive got predates geldard road it was in an issue of truck & driver I will post it asap my dad is on the back loading a tractor at case stanningly

Hi All,me with a mop on my head in the 88 which was al kinnons ,this was in 1979,the van in the photo is brian wilkies first new van,when brian was on holiday i had to look after it,this is me cleaning it before i took it back,it had to be spotless .always had to take to his house and he would inspect it for 10 mins then would take me home via a pub and 8 pints of tetleys later.the old 88 on the top car park was alan renders and that is his son john.keith

Good pic’s Keith, nice to see you cleaned Brian’s van for him, do you remember when he got the new Merc van, he passed away a not long after, jack took the van home and kept it there, but let it come out when we had to take a machine to Bologna Italy, and I got the job, Daisy gave a couple of so-called “empty” drums for spare diesel, what he didn’t tell me was that one had also been used for water, so when I filled them up before leaving “unknown” to me I had a mixture of water and diesel in one, and it was the first one I used going down through France, and yes you’ve guesses it, I almost got off the services before pulling through the water into the pump and engine, I had to get under and drain it by taking the bung out of the tank and letting it flow down the edge of the exit road, there were a couple of drivers with me but I was the only one who got himself dirty and stinking of diesel all the way to Italy.
If Daisy had been there at the time, I dont think he’d have got home, he would have been buried 6ft under, but as usual in those days it was soon forgotten. :-Jack.

Jack Graham:
Good pic’s Keith, nice to see you cleaned Brian’s van for him, do you remember when he got the new Merc van, he passed away a not long after, jack took the van home and kept it there, but let it come out when we had to take a machine to Bologna Italy, and I got the job, Daisy gave a couple of so-called “empty” drums for spare diesel, what he didn’t tell me was that one had also been used for water, so when I filled them up before leaving “unknown” to me I had a mixture of water and diesel in one, and it was the first one I used going down through France, and yes you’ve guesses it, I almost got off the services before pulling through the water into the pump and engine, I had to get under and drain it by taking the bung out of the tank and letting it flow down the edge of the exit road, there were a couple of drivers with me but I was the only one who got himself dirty and stinking of diesel all the way to Italy.
If Daisy had been there at the time, I dont think he’d have got home, he would have been buried 6ft under, but as usual in those days it was soon forgotten. :-Jack.

i did end up getting that van when i went on call in 1988,when i took it home my dad looked at it and a tear came to his eye ,he died a year later and was buried with brian.i think i had about 5 vans over the years but never a new one,once blow a ■■■■■■ van up and john trafford told me he got another one but was in glasgow,this was on a friday i worked all day went up with a scotch driver to collect it came back down in the night and worked next morning ,boy was i tired.got a few more phots will put them on later,keith

jj72:
kojak, there is obviously a conspiracy by CIA or similar which has eradicated any proof of a-one ever having existed from the face of the earth :open_mouth: i’ve been trying to find photos and/or info for years without success (kate did promise some photos but i think she’s been silenced :wink: )

i even spoke to their old european division boss a few months ago, but will smith and tommy lee jones obviously got there first with their magic pens - he has NO photos at all, hmmmm…

as a young 'un i knew lots of their drivers, good firm and paid excellent money for the time - didn’t go bump as far as i can make out, just packed up one day

They had a front cover shot and a big article in Truck magazine in the mid 80s - F88 on the cover, I recall, in a moving shot in the rain. There was also an Atkinson Silver Knight restored in their colours (CWW 713H), and which I believe was sold off. Haven’t seen it for a while, but I presume it’s still about somewhere.

240 Gardner:
They had a front cover shot and a big article in Truck magazine in the mid 80s - F88 on the cover, I recall, in a moving shot in the rain.

yes, sorry that is the only thing i have i should have said (also had an F12 and a merc 1628 in similar shots plus an F7 standing) in fact i have 2 copies - may 1985 IIRC - i’ve even offered money for good photos in trucking classifieds… but they’re all too scared to break cover i expect :wink:

hiya,
Jack (Graham) there’s a guy asking are there any bikers on Trucknet??, just thought you might like a look.
there’s been quite a bit of interest so far, i’s still on the first page of new posts.
thanks harry long retired.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Jack (Graham) there’s a guy asking are there any bikers on Trucknet??, just thought you might like a look.
there’s been quite a bit of interest so far, i’s still on the first page of new posts.
thanks harry long retired.

Thanks for that Harry, I’ll have a look and see if there’s anyone interested in a get-together.
By the way, you have an invite to our next reunion if your interested, you’d be more than welcome to join us, you read our page often enough so you will know most of us anyway, it’s an open invite. Jack :wink:

jj72:

Me? Silenced? Not a hope. :smiley: :smiley:
As soon as I get in the attic, I promise I will look for them. I know they exist cos I took them myself in Italy circa 1981. There was a guy called Donald who worked for them, He scared me witless. My mate and I sat around a table with him and a few other guys one evening, and boy, did he scare me !!!
Nuff said. :exclamation:

For all the devotees of Eddie Stobart there is a new series starting on Friday the Second of March. If its anything like the last hapless offering I think I would rather have a bath and play lighthouses!!

They were situated at the top of Geldard Road on the east side.The main yard is now used by a Insulation company.I think they also had a secondary yard on the other side of the,hated,J27.M62

Just around the corner on the Geldard Rd Industrial Estate was United Carriers.Another name from and gone.