A.W. Jenkinson,

Average 9.5 mpg at 44 tonne ■■ And this week you’ve done 10.2 mpg. Must be all motorway work to get that. No way you’re getting that in stop/start traffic or local roads with the usual sets of traffic lights on every tiny junction.

DCPCFML:
Average 9.5 mpg at 44 tonne ■■ And this week you’ve done 10.2 mpg. Must be all motorway work to get that. No way you’re getting that in stop/start traffic or local roads with the usual sets of traffic lights on every tiny junction.

What’s your…

Point?

yourhavingalarf:

DCPCFML:

What’s your…

Point?

He isn’t getting a genuine 10.2 mpg or even 9.5 mpg running at 44t up hill and down dale through Wales, or around London town as his posts state.

DCPCFML:

yourhavingalarf:

DCPCFML:

What’s your…

Point?

He isn’t getting a genuine 10.2 mpg or even 9.5 mpg running at 44t up hill and down dale through Wales, or around London town as his posts state.

So your point…

Is calling him a liar.

How very ungentlemanly of you.

When looking at MPG its important to remember that what the’puter says bears only a passing resemblance to what a notebook, pen and calculator say.

DCPCFML:

This week I’ve done Meriden to Redhill, 2x Folkstone, re load Woolwich back to Meriden. Swap trailers then Hanworth, Forest Hill and Croydon and re load Woolwich for Lockerbie. Tipped Lockerbie this morning and reloaded Dalbeattie for Carlisle. Still showing 10.2-10.3mpg. Even through London yesterday it stayed above 10mpg.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

the maoster:
When looking at MPG its important to remember that what the’puter says bears only a passing resemblance to what a notebook, pen and calculator say.

Exactly, it’s only a guide but it still works that the better that figure then the better the actual figure when it’s calculated. I could sit and work it out as we have to record all the mileages and how much fuel we put in but I would guess it’s not as far out as some may think.

DCPCFML:

It helps I don’t drive it like I stole it and always in Eco. Don’t override the eco roll and drive to the driving tips. Usually around 95% on the Scania score.

What truck is it out of interest? R450 ?

Yep, 20 reg R450.

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

rgt1973:
Yep, 20 reg R450.

Starting to make some sense now. Had one on demo and did some good figures pulling a tanker but while it might say 450 on the badge and side of the engine block, a more realistic figure would be 350 given their inability to pull the skin off a rice pudding and die to 30mph when faced with the tiniest incline. I’m not sure which is worst for pulling - the 450 Scania’s or a Merc (any Merc). Both are an embarrassment and shouldn’t be on the road they’re that dangerously slow.

DCPCFML:

rgt1973:
Yep, 20 reg R450.

Starting to make some sense now. Had one on demo and did some good figures pulling a tanker but while it might say 450 on the badge and side of the engine block, a more realistic figure would be 350 given their inability to pull the skin off a rice pudding and die to 30mph when faced with the tiniest incline. I’m not sure which is worst for pulling - the 450 Scania’s or a Merc (any Merc). Both are an embarrassment and should be on the road they’re that dangerously slow.

The only thing a Merc is good for, is target practice…

Thejpmshow:
Started last week

Training Tuesday / Wednesday

Wednesday afternoon about 330, ‘your first loads in Bristol - they finish loading at 430 so if you get going you’ll get there ok’

Bearing in mind I had not loaded anything into the wagon (that I’d just been given) that we’d just been trained on using the sheet etc

My words were

‘[zb] that! I’ll go there in the morning’

So I did - and of all times to pack up, my sat nav picked its moment…

Thursday consisted of stopping in a few places for a spare cable, couldn’t find one. This delayed me getting to the tip (Haverfordwest), so delayed me getting to Llanelli for load 2. I missed the allowed time of 3pm.

I rang the planner, he said that’s a shame that’ll probably result in you staying out til Saturday morning… Stayed there til the morning, loaded and on my way by 745. Got to
Maldon, Essex at 130pm.

Next load, Suez from Ruislip back to Chippenham yard.

I got back on a 10 hour with 18 minutes to spare…

If it’s like this long term my words will be once again, ‘[zb] that’

Monday will be dropping this load off to Avonmouth Suez, then down to Monaghan Mushrooms for a load of compost to a farm near Aylesbury

The no specified start time is messing with my head and it feels like they are trying to catch me out…

Remind us again, why did you leave Farmfoods?

^^^ I had a 500 on demo for a couple of weeks. I don’t know if they’d played with it to make it more impressive but it would leave our 500 MAN’s standing on the hills at the same weight, and the MAN’s ain’t slouches. The Scanny also returned around 2mpg better too. Obviously because bean counters were involved we got the cheaper vehicle in the MAN.

the maoster:
^^^ I had a 500 on demo for a couple of weeks. I don’t know if they’d played with it to make it more impressive but it would leave our 500 MAN’s standing on the hills at the same weight, and the MAN’s ain’t slouches. The Scanny also returned around 2mpg better too. Obviously because bean counters were involved we got the cheaper vehicle in the MAN.

When I was talking to the dealer when I took ours back, he said that their demo models usually run the vanilla map so that companies can see how they perform ‘out of the box’ but with the caveat that they can be spec’d for better performance or fuel economy as required. It could be that your demo was a vanilla map hence why it outperformed your MAN. Likely to be a different story if the company actually bought one and spec’d it for fuel economy like most logistics places do.

1f4881e42619028d694ad43a9e349f5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those mpg figures look more realistic than 10 mpg , only time I’d get that and more was when some idiot ran the lorry empty from wick / Aberdeen / Inverness to immingham

£125 last week on fuel bonus. It can be done. Last 2 weeks I’ve finished 10.6 and 10.9 mpg.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

rgt1973:
£125 last week on fuel bonus. It can be done. Last 2 weeks I’ve finished 10.6 and 10.9 mpg.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

it will depend what your pulling aswell